john petrucci

PDA

View Full Version : john petrucci

seankellyultgtr
11-18-2008, 05:46 PM
does john petrucci play only 7stringed guitars, or does he play 6 string too? cause i wanna get into his stuff but i dont have a 7 string. also, reccomend a song if you can that uses 6 string

seankellyultgtr
11-18-2008, 05:50 PM
er, yea, i forget how to do the edit, but also keep in mind that im not that good yet, as in ive been playing for a year. and i dont have a wah... i know that he uses wah in some songs

EDIT: found it! :D

griffRG7321
11-18-2008, 05:51 PM
he uses 6 strings in most songs, although quite a few songs are on a 7 string, some on baritones aswell. A good song to start with would be root of all evil.

mitch311
11-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Glassgow kiss, damage control, wishful thinking all use 6 strings so I presume he mostly uses 6 strings. i dont know though i dont listen to dream theatre

seankellyultgtr
11-18-2008, 05:54 PM
oh okay cool. thank you, also, is root of all evil like "mathy"
i cant listen to it til later so help me out?

mathy means like stops and starts a lot. dissonet comes to mind.

professorlamp
11-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Dream Theater probably arent the best band to learn a year in but i suggest an easier song like Space Dye vest, From the 'Awake' album

seankellyultgtr
11-18-2008, 05:56 PM
i know that petrucci is crazy, haha, i just wanna get into his stuff. i would like to at least be able to learn from his playing style until i get to petrucci level

seankellyultgtr
11-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Dream Theater probably arent the best band to learn a year in but i suggest an easier song like Space Dye vest, From the 'Awake' album

does space dye vest have an intense solo? is that why you're concerned?

professorlamp
11-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Its got no solo :P

The Shroom420
11-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Beyond This Life is a really sick song by Dream Theater that's played on a 6-string, and isn't hard to play at all

bangoodcharlote
11-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Beyond This Life is a really sick song by Dream Theater that's played on a 6-string, and isn't hard to play at all That opening riff isn't hard, though odd time is likely to confuse a fairly new musician for a bit. Have you listened to the rest of the song, though? I would hardly call it a easy song.

Edit: Much of their stuff, especially the older stuff, is on a standard-tuned 6-string.

21Fretter
11-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Dance of Eternity was written on a 7 string but has been tabbed to a playable level for 6 strings (7 to 6, sometimes the notes are simply not in the right positions to make it work if you know what i mean). The intro is great for learning picking accuracy imo.

Magero
11-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Dream Theater (When Dream and Day Unite) - All in E standard
(Images and Words) - All in E standard
(Awake) - All in E standard, except 'Lie', 'Mirror' and 'Caught In A Web' which are in B standard on 7-strings and 'Space Dye-Vest' which is in Drop D tuning.
(Falling into Infinity) - All in E standard except 'New Millenium' and 'Just Let Me Breathe' which are in B standard on 7-strings.
(Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory) - Used E standard on all, used a 7-string in B standard on the 'Dance Of Eternity' and a 6-string in Drop D on 'Home'.
(Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence; Disc 1) - Used B standard 7-string for 'The Glass Prison'. E standard on all others, except on 'Misunderstood', where Drop D was used. Also, on Blind Faith used a detuned Ernie Ball Silhouette six-string bass guitar, simulating a baritone guitar tuned to Bb standard.
(Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence; Disc 2) - Used E standard on all
(Train of Thought) - C standard on all, except 'This Dying Soul' where B standard on 7-strings was used and 'Stream Of Consciousness' where 6-strings in Eb standard were used.
(Octavarium) - E standard on all except 'Root of all Evil' where Eb standard is used, 'Panic Attack' where a detuned Ernie Ball Silhouette six-string bass guitar, simulating a baritone guitar tuned to Bb standard is used and 'These Walls' where a detuned Ernie Ball Silhouette six-string bass guitar, simulating a baritone guitar tuned to A standard is used.
(Systematic Chaos) - Used E standard on all except 'Forsaken' which is in D standard, 'Repentence' and 'The Dark Eternal Night' which are in B standard 7-strings.

Enjoy :cheers:.

21Fretter
11-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Big up Magero! That's pretty useful :D

LucasGtrGod
11-22-2008, 04:50 AM
What did you expect from the proprietor and runner of the Metal Tunings Thread?

etaksdal
11-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Excellent post Magero, thanks :D