Question About Profanity on UG

PDA

View Full Version : Question About Profanity on UG

username94
11-18-2008, 07:31 PM
I recently got banned because of excesive profanity in a post. I want to know what words does it become unacceptable at?

I know that F*** & C*** are unacceptable. But is D*** or S*** allowed?
I know to be safe I shouldn't curse at all, but some things can only be fully understood with profanity. Like if I said,"I f'ing hate the Jonas Brothers," it's diffrent than saying,"I hate the Jonas Brothers.

Your help is much appreciated.

Vikingx
11-18-2008, 07:38 PM
do you kiss your mother with that mouth?!?

I haven't been able to figure it out myself. It's objective by the mod I guess.

username94
11-18-2008, 07:44 PM
That's what I thought. I wish they could just set a standard fir acceptable language and not let it be a mods decision.

in2thesun88
11-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Well when it gets excessive I guess they can call it spam. I use profanity from time to time in the pit and never really had much of a problem. Also, if you are directing the profanity towards somebody, like a user or a band, then they consider it flaming.

Gibson06
11-18-2008, 08:00 PM
The swear filter is there for a reason. If you type the word out, and spell it correctly, there will never be a problem. Profanity directed towards another user is never acceptable, and not even in a joking manner. You can't see emotion on the internet, and you can be warned/banned for questionable posts.

Just keep it clean. There are many words to project a thought or emotion.

SomeoneYouKnew
11-19-2008, 12:57 AM
That's what I thought. I wish they could just set a standard fir acceptable language and not let it be a mods decision.you do realize setting such a standard would be impossible, don't you?

divid3d
11-19-2008, 02:35 AM
it's not about what particular words are used, it's about how they are used, and the extent to which they are used. 'no flaming' is one of our rules, so obviously any profanity used to flame a person/band is not going to be acceptable (ie. calling someone names). we're also not going to allow a post where every second word is a swear word - that amount of profanity is completely unnecessary and we would much rather if people found a better way to express themselves. whether you get around the swear filter or not doesn't really make a difference, we all know what those asterisks stand for.

i wouldn't mind if you said "i fucking hate the jonas brothers" as long as you gave some sort of reasoning and you didn't just flame them. for example:

"i fucking hate the jonas brothers, their music is complete shit and they are fucking fags!" = flaming. completely unnacceptable.

"i fucking hate the jonas brothers. i really dislike their music and it's on the radio every 5 minutes which drives me crazy. it's really not my thing!" = you're still getting your point across that you really don't like them, but not resorting to name-calling or taking the profanity too far.

btw i don't know who the jonas brothers are so i don't know if their stuff is on the radio all the time or whatever, they are just made up comments.

so basically, you're allowed to express your opinion, but you're not allowed to flame anyone or swear excessively. take a look at what you're saying and see if there is a better way to say it without using 400 swear words or resorting to name-calling/personal digs at someone. give legitimate reasons for your opinion.

if you're ever unsure whether something will be acceptable or not, you can always PM a mod and ask them what they think before you post it.

username94
11-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Okay, that last post made alot of sense so now It's been cleared up for me. No pointless profanity.

Gibson06
11-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Okay, that last post made alot of sense so now It's been cleared up for me. No pointless profanity.

No pointless profanity? Damn. I was just about those jonlajoie videos. :D

Instead of saying "I ****ing hate the jonas brothers--they're fags", Why not say "I don't like the Jonas brothers because of this this and this."? It makes your posts contribute, instead of airing an unexplained Idea.

username94
11-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Very well then. I dislike the Jonas Brothers because of there lack of lyrical and musical ability.

Hows that?