OH DAE-SU

PDA

View Full Version : OH DAE-SU

fltlll
11-23-2008, 12:55 AM
For fans of melodic hardcore with random intricacies.

http://www.myspace.com/ohdaesu713

EDIT: Bumped the thread because the songs are up for download now. Link is in the latest blog.

Meowordie
11-23-2008, 01:03 AM
ok

Meowordie
11-23-2008, 01:04 AM
nice

fltlll
11-23-2008, 01:06 AM
hehe I like the first post with "ok", followed by "nice". :p:

waldorphPRS41
11-23-2008, 01:12 AM
There is a promote your band forum for a reason.

fltlll
11-23-2008, 01:17 AM
There is a promote your band forum for a reason.

Yeh, I posted in there beforehand. I just figured I would actually post under the genre that we "fit" in as well. You know, so people that like the style of music can hear it...

waldorphPRS41
11-23-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm just saying for your benefit, 99% of the time these don't go over well. Especially if you don't post in this forum anyway.

fltlll
11-23-2008, 01:28 AM
I'm just saying for your benefit, 99% of the time these don't go over well. Especially if you don't post in this forum anyway.

I figured it might not go well, but I don't have anything to lose. :) I've lurked plenty, but I just never bothered to make an actual account. It's not like I don't play guitar and am a nerd about it... I grew up playing Dream Theater lol.

alm0st a skat3r
11-23-2008, 01:33 AM
i came in here to be a dick but damn i really like this

fltlll
11-23-2008, 01:46 AM

Well that's a good sign :D

saxaxe
11-23-2008, 01:47 AM
Ditto.
Good sheeeiitt.
It is, though, against the rules to promote your band outside the promotion forum. However, on the basis that this kicks ass, I won't report it. :p:

EDIT:
Upon further review of your music, I will say its absolutely fuckin sick. I like how its like...actual hardcore, but still has metal influences without sounding like metalcore. If that makes sense. I also hear a lot of screamo influence. I definitely hear some Hot Cross in there.

Righteous Heart
11-23-2008, 01:57 AM
I dig this.
Good tunes. :]

fltlll
11-23-2008, 02:04 AM
Ditto.
Good sheeeiitt.
It is, though, against the rules to promote your band outside the promotion forum. However, on the basis that this kicks ass, I won't report it. :p:

EDIT:
Upon further review of your music, I will say its absolutely fuckin sick. I like how its like...actual hardcore, but still has metal influences without sounding like metalcore. If that makes sense. I also hear a lot of screamo influence. I definitely hear some Hot Cross in there.

Thank you so much!! For not reporting me, and for liking the tunes :D

I'm glad that you described us in a way that reflects what we're going for! We wanted to basically make a "true" metalcore band, in the sense of mixing hardcore and metal influences without sounding like the usual chug chug bree chug chug stuff. As far as influences go, there's... lots. Biggest one I can think of off the top of my head that fits screamo would be Hopesfall (No Wings to Speak Of is amazing). Translating the Name by Saosin is bomb too.

As far as hardcore and metal influences go, the lists are LOOOOOOOOONG.

11-23-2008, 02:06 AM
i was turned off within the first few seconds. The vocals sound like they're trying trying so hard to be crazy, but they sound a tad weak possibly due too poor production. The guitars sound thin and insubstantial too.

sorry bro, but it ain't my thing.

saxaxe
11-23-2008, 02:08 AM

I'm glad that you described us in a way that reflects what we're going for! We wanted to basically make a "true" metalcore band, in the sense of mixing hardcore and metal influences without sounding like the usual chug chug bree chug chug stuff. As far as influences go, there's... lots. Biggest one I can think of off the top of my head that fits screamo would be Hopesfall (No Wings to Speak Of is amazing). Translating the Name by Saosin is bomb too.

haha Saosin and Hopesfall aren't the screamo we're thinkin of, but since you're in a good band, I won't be an ass about it haha. So when're you comin to MD?

fltlll
11-23-2008, 02:16 AM
haha Saosin and Hopesfall aren't the screamo we're thinkin of, but since you're in a good band, I won't be an ass about it haha. So when're you comin to MD?

Would y'all consider Orchid as screamo? I've always put Hopesfall and Saosin under screamo (in my mind, that is). I really don't know what else to consider them. I'm not the best at classifying bands, I just jam them :P

Man, as far as touring goes, that would be amazing. Right now we're waiting for our drummer to finish his semester in school so he can go back to being undeclared, thus having time to actually PRACTICE. He has amazing hand technique due to his jazz antics, but we want him to be insane in the double bass as well :) All that being said (which was mostly a tangent), maybe in the summer?

saxaxe
11-23-2008, 02:28 AM
Would y'all consider Orchid as screamo? I've always put Hopesfall and Saosin under screamo (in my mind, that is). I really don't know what else to consider them. I'm not the best at classifying bands, I just jam them :P

Man, as far as touring goes, that would be amazing. Right now we're waiting for our drummer to finish his semester in school so he can go back to being undeclared, thus having time to actually PRACTICE. He has amazing hand technique due to his jazz antics, but we want him to be insane in the double bass as well :) All that being said (which was mostly a tangent), maybe in the summer?
Yea, Orchid's definitely screamo haha. That's more the style I was talkin.

fltlll
11-23-2008, 02:35 AM
Yea, Orchid's definitely screamo haha. That's more the style I was talkin.

Ok haha. At least I got that one right :p:

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
11-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Well I came in here to close this, however, this rules so I shall let it go.

Good stuff man, keep it up!

SadistNation
11-23-2008, 11:52 AM
it seems like i'm the only one not into it, ha. But at least it's pretty original, i'll give you that, it's just not my style.

by any chance is your name from the movie Old Boy?

zayG
11-23-2008, 01:56 PM
this is pretty cool

IlikeTheSKA
11-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Oldboy is an awesome movie.

fltlll
11-23-2008, 04:30 PM
it seems like i'm the only one not into it, ha. But at least it's pretty original, i'll give you that, it's just not my style.

by any chance is your name from the movie Old Boy?

Thanks! It's not for anyone, but thank you so much for not outright dissing us!

And yes, it's from Oldboy. We LOVE that movie, ever since it came out. Our vocalist read somewhere that the movie is going through the process of being remade by Spielberg and starring Will Smith as Oh Dae-Su (I'm pretty damn sure he'd have a different name...).

If he's actually named Oh Dae-Su, we've all decided we're changing our name lol. Probably to Wedge Antilles... I wonder if anyone knows where that is from :D

fltlll
11-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Well I came in here to close this, however, this rules so I shall let it go.

Good stuff man, keep it up!

I appreciate that so much :)

IlikeTheSKA
11-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Our vocalist read somewhere that the movie is going through the process of being remade by Spielberg and starring Will Smith as Oh Dae-Su (I'm pretty damn sure he'd have a different name...).
If this is true then

I don't even know.

:(

SadistNation
11-23-2008, 07:03 PM

And yes, it's from Oldboy. We LOVE that movie, ever since it came out. Our vocalist read somewhere that the movie is going through the process of being remade by Spielberg and starring Will Smith as Oh Dae-Su (I'm pretty damn sure he'd have a different name...).

If he's actually named Oh Dae-Su, we've all decided we're changing our name lol. Probably to Wedge Antilles... I wonder if anyone knows where that is from :D

an american version of old boy would disgrace it so horribly, i can't even imagine the hatred that would follow. But yeah the movie is awesome, by far my favorite fight scene ever, and the actors name isn't Oh Dae-Su.

IlikeTheSKA
11-23-2008, 07:16 PM
The Bollywood version rules hard.

clear and blue
11-23-2008, 07:25 PM
oldboy is my favourite film of all time, dont ask me why. as far as i can gather they thankfully binned the american version. havent they made enough ****ty remakes of asian films or do they think the US public cant read subtitles?

sorry, i dont even know what melodic hardcore is (desperacidios maybe?) but i saw the thread title and had to look

fltlll
11-23-2008, 08:04 PM
oldboy is my favourite film of all time, dont ask me why. as far as i can gather they thankfully binned the american version. havent they made enough ****ty remakes of asian films or do they think the US public cant read subtitles?

sorry, i dont even know what melodic hardcore is (desperacidios maybe?) but i saw the thread title and had to look

Yeah, I really hate this new direction that hollywood has taken in which they remake good Asian films. Remakes have been done in the past, but usually they're from a movie that has already been out a good 20 or more years. How old is Oldboy? I think it recently turned 5.

By the way, if this totally became an Oldboy thread, that would be so sick.

SadistNation
11-23-2008, 08:35 PM
yeah something like that. But yeah, hollywood puts out complete sh*t of movies now, especially the ones that are supposed to be "horror" or "suspense", that's a load of bull. The only good horror films that are made now are either indie or foreign. We used to make really good movies, in the 40s and 50s, but now horror movies are just gore and nothing else, they aren't scary. Old Boy is amazing, just the plot and how suspenseful it was, i wouldn't call it scary.....more shocking.

aggiefan33
11-23-2008, 08:50 PM
good ****. come up to the dfw area, i'll see ya

fltlll
11-23-2008, 09:18 PM

You know, I totally forgot to mention Circle Takes the Square. THAT would be our biggest screamo influence. A Crater to Cough in just started playing on my shuffle playlist, and it clicked in my head. Sorry, was dead tired last night. :D

barge1
11-23-2008, 09:20 PM
old boy was a really really good movie.

IcePh0enix
11-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Wow, this stuff is really great. I like how you guys use breakdowns effectively and I really like the overall energy of the music.

Oldboy seems like a movie I should definetly check out after reading this thread haha.

Garden_Of_Light
11-23-2008, 10:24 PM

star wars.

good tunes btw.

fltlll
11-24-2008, 12:12 AM
star wars.

good tunes btw.

DING. Best pilot of the Rebel Squadron. NEEEEEEEEEERD.

Manos15
11-24-2008, 12:54 AM
Wasn't expecting much, but I like it. Can we expect a demo at some point?

fltlll
11-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Wasn't expecting much, but I like it. Can we expect a demo at some point?

Well, that IS the demo. Do you mean an actual CD that you can buy (or something that you can download and jam)?

Manos15
11-24-2008, 01:24 AM
Well, that IS the demo. Do you mean an actual CD that you can buy (or something that you can download and jam)?
Was thinking something downloadable or something I could mail in for.

fltlll
11-24-2008, 01:40 AM
Was thinking something downloadable or something I could mail in for.

Ah yes, this is in the works! We're trying to figure out how to distribute it (as far as packing goes, and the actual medium and whatnot).

BUT, since you peeps have been really nice so far, PM me or catch me on AIM on fltlll and I'll link you a yousendit of the demo. The guy that mixed our stuff says that he still wants to work on it more before we actually "release" it, but you guys can have the most current version :D

SadistNation
11-24-2008, 01:54 AM
...i like you guys more now that i have listened to every song all the way through ha. It's still not my cup of tea, but you guys do do a good job of doing metalcore in the definition of the genre, if you know what i mean ha. it actually sounds like you mix hardcore and metal. I like the more hardcore songs, 2 especially, i think 1 might be the other one that i enjoyed, not sure though

Manos15
11-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Ah yes, this is in the works! We're trying to figure out how to distribute it (as far as packing goes, and the actual medium and whatnot).

BUT, since you peeps have been really nice so far, PM me or catch me on AIM on fltlll and I'll link you a yousendit of the demo. The guy that mixed our stuff says that he still wants to work on it more before we actually "release" it, but you guys can have the most current version :D
Check your PMs

fltlll
11-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Check your PMs

Hmm, I just checked my PM's and there's nothing in there? o,o

Oh well, I just sent you the link through a PM :P

fltlll
11-24-2008, 08:34 PM
I just found out that I have to look for PM's through my profile or something, not the info box at the top-right corner of the screen... sorry about that!

Manos15
11-24-2008, 09:48 PM

recklessnick
11-25-2008, 02:26 AM
cool band. added you guys up on myspace

fltlll
11-25-2008, 02:50 AM
cool band. added you guys up on myspace

Thanks for the add man!

fltlll
05-14-2009, 05:53 AM
Bump (because the songs are up for download now).

fltlll
05-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Yet another bump.