Greg Howe anyone?

PDA

View Full Version : Greg Howe anyone?

ToalNOOB
11-23-2008, 05:49 PM
I realize a lot of you guys are Guthrie fans and Greg Howe isn't talked about on these boards which is a shame. The guy is an amazing player. I personally would advise everyone to listen and try to pick something up from him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P65xHFMF8Qc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPKWhVwpAUg (this is not a favorite of mine by any means)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40DgOj7P8TA (Howe and Kotzen)

Deep-Sea-Seamus
11-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Hes cool, but many of his compositions end up being a little corny and contrived. Hrm.

DaFjory
11-23-2008, 07:46 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=815532

I can't wait to see what he has planned for next year. Hopefully something a bit less cheesier than Sound Proof (in which, as good an album as it is, there were some moments which made me cringe).

randyaintdead82
11-30-2008, 10:45 AM
i like his little jazz bits he does

Paul Tauterouff
11-30-2008, 12:52 PM
I liked Sound Proof a lot. May favorite Howe CD is probably Introspection. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Greg Howe Workshop video lessons. It's been taking forever for this to happen!

Freepower
11-30-2008, 04:17 PM
The teaser lessons on his site are insane. :eek:

Nacho Cheese!
11-30-2008, 05:52 PM

I'm going to have to check them out then if they are insane. Thanks for the info :peace:

ToalNOOB
11-30-2008, 05:57 PM

;) Greg Howe is extremely underrated on this site I feel. He's not my favorite by far. But yes he is insane.

Avedas
12-01-2008, 04:01 AM
Love Greg Howe. Although Sound Proof was a little cheesy. Sunset in El Paso wtf.

seymour_jackson
12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Greg Howe is mentioned alot around these parts of the woods... hes in every elemination.

IMO he fails in comparison to most of the other top guitarists. id rather listen to Becker, Friedman, govan, Lane, Loomis and Petrucci more-so then him.

Godly Moose
12-02-2008, 01:23 AM
I love me some Howe. I think it should be required that if you get a guitar you need to either have or get Parallax or Introspection.

DaFjory
12-02-2008, 01:30 AM
^ Agreed. And to expand upon that, I would say Introspection and Parallax for the grooveheads, Ascend for the heavyheads, Hyperacuity for the fusionheads, and self-titled for the shredheads. He has something for everyone, I find.

Avedas
12-02-2008, 03:45 AM
I have Ascend, s/t, Parallax, and Sound Proof. I'm not the biggest fan of Ascend but Parallax is my favorite so far.

TheShred201
12-02-2008, 10:34 AM
He gives private lessons at a shop about 2.5 hours away from me...

DaFjory
12-02-2008, 12:30 PM
I have Ascend, s/t, Parallax, and Sound Proof. I'm not the biggest fan of Ascend but Parallax is my favorite so far.

If you really like Parallax, get Uncertain Terms and Five as well - they're basically like a trilogy together. I can't tell them apart most of the time! (even though PX is my favourite of the 3)

Freepower
12-02-2008, 10:11 PM
He gives private lessons at a shop about 2.5 hours away from me...

****ing hell. Can you get transport there?

Can you then tape all your lessons and send me the vidz?

In fact, why don't well all chip in and pay part of your lesson fee? Even $80/h gets cheap broken 8 ways. :D

TheShred201
12-03-2008, 01:16 AM
We'll see. I feel I could learn a lot from studying under him, but I don't know how easily I'd be able to spend 4-5 hours driving every week for a guitar lesson. And then there are other potential teachers (Shane Gibson, Rusty Cooley, Chris Broderick, etc.) that may be possible....All 3 do online stuff, but as Shane Gibson and Chris Broderick are both in the So Cal area so they may do in person stuff too. I'm not saying I WOULD pick them over Howe, just saying I'd consider my options wisely--Unfortunately I'm not too terribly familiar with Howe's stuff. That will change soon though, and I'll at LEAST get information about lessons to see if it really is a vible option. Then again, doing lessons with Howe would give me an excuse to go to Tone Merchants and play some Cornfords, Custom Audio, Diezel, VHT, Fractal Audio, and other nice amps with Suhr and Vigier Guitars :haha:

Freepower
12-03-2008, 07:15 AM
Well, imho, Howe's better than those guys. And seriously, does anyone have to be convinced to go and play Suhrs? :p:

DaFjory
12-05-2008, 06:11 PM
So there's favourite albums, but what about individual songs? Some that immediately come to mind are...

Red Handed
Super Unleaded
Come And Get It
Joker's Wild (this one has the signature Howe phrasing and tone IMO)
The Terrace
Full Throttle
Emergency Exit (ditto)

TheShred201
01-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Anyone gowing to the Greg Howe/Dave Weiner concert at Tone Merchants next friday? I was going to but it's sold out....:sad:

I did how ever get his introspection tab book while I was there on Saturday, though I don't actually have the CD....I'll have to get it soon....

"putnamehere"
01-07-2009, 09:09 AM
I love Greg Howe. I only have Sound Proof but I really find the disc amazing. :haha Time to check out his other stuff.

Stratwizard
01-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Five is the best imo. Sound Proof sucked tone/sound -wise. Extraction's pretty nice as well.

DaFjory
01-07-2009, 10:48 AM
I actually like Five the least out of the trilogy between itself and Uncertain Terms | Parallax. I don't know why. Maybe it sounds a bit lazier and not as energetic as the previous efforts.

G.player
01-11-2009, 01:52 AM
Anyone gowing to the Greg Howe/Dave Weiner concert at Tone Merchants next friday? I was going to but it's sold out....:sad:

I will be definitely be at the show...I called today and I was able to get seats, maybe someone cancelled.
Does anyone know who will be the special guest?

TheShred201
01-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Well, it's Dave Weiner opening for Greg Howe, other than that I don't know.

DaFjory
01-29-2009, 08:36 PM
My goodness, Tell Me Something Good is soooooo fookin cheesy! I know it's a cover, but I hate it with a passion this album (Sound Proof). The wah, the melody... blah. I really hope Greg quits with the covers on his next effort.

ToalNOOB
02-18-2009, 08:12 PM
do do dod od loodle looo!!! Ownage.

C.C. Deville
02-24-2009, 11:13 PM
i absolutely looove greg howe, my favorite along with Neil Zaza. I've yet to find anyone that plays the same style as him. Along with his feeling, his technique is superb his tapping licks are insane.

Fav albums are definitely Introspection, Greg Howe (1st album self titled), and Five

songs:
Kick it all over
After Hours
hell pretty much all of introspection
Just kidding
quiet hunt
plush interior
Joker's wild

cfrank
03-01-2009, 09:30 PM
I got to into Greg Howe last week and its freakin awesome. I could hear Jump Start the whole day.

Snake™
03-03-2009, 08:34 PM
He is amazing, but definitely not the best.

Jimi-is-god
03-04-2009, 05:21 AM

Questionable :D

DaFjory
03-04-2009, 04:12 PM

Does he have to be the best? His playing being amazing is credit enough, I would think.

Robino_Ibanez
03-15-2009, 12:07 PM
what are some good things to listen to by greg howe? i might be meeting him in the summer :O

Jimi-is-god
03-16-2009, 01:49 AM
what are some good things to listen to by greg howe? i might be meeting him in the summer :O

My faves
Jump Start
Morning View
Button Up
Come And Get It
Direct Injection
Howe 'Bout It
Reunion
In Step
Emergency Exit
Sunset In El Paso
Side Note
Sound Proof
Extraction

DaFjory
03-16-2009, 08:54 AM
It's gotta be Super Unleaded and Red Handed, though he'd probably never play them.

DaFjory
06-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Anyone dislike his stuff with Kuprij? It's not that Howe sucks on that stuff (High Definition and Ascend), but I can't stand Kuprij's playing - his style, tone, ideas, everything.

I'm glad they never hooked up again. Bad partnership.

FOYSTA
06-18-2010, 11:17 PM
He's one of my favorite fusion players. Behind the almighty holdsworth of course. :p: