Restringing the ibanez

PDA

View Full Version : Restringing the ibanez

IbanezMetal826
11-24-2008, 08:20 PM
So.. Im gonna restring my ibanez, And it has an edge 3 tremelo.. I've seen how people string it with the ball end on the headstock, I do know how to string it right, but I wanted to do it the way mentioned above.. thanks.

IbanezMetal826
11-24-2008, 10:24 PM
bump

Bonsaischaap
11-25-2008, 07:56 AM
It's pretty easy:

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m227/bonsaischaap/Restringingfinaldoc.jpg

1) feed the string through the post

2) make sure it's all the way through (I only leave the last bit sticking out)

3) grab the end and pull the string so that the string is roughly in it's final position and under a little bit of tension

4) snap the excess string off; I usually cut the string around the fine tuners

5) insert the string in the saddle and tighten it

6) it should look like this now

7) start tuning up, leaving the double threaded bit at the end of the string sticking out

8) when you hold the string like this, it will coil neatly around the post.

In the end it should look like this:

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m227/bonsaischaap/rsresult.jpg

steven seagull
11-25-2008, 08:03 AM
That's a bit daft - if you're restringing backwatds then there's no reason to cut the strings at the bridge, just lock the ends in, wind the strings on and snip the excess off at the tuners same as you'd normally do.

trying to snip strings to length before they're on is asking for trouble.

Bonsaischaap
11-25-2008, 08:32 AM
That's a bit daft - if you're restringing backwatds then there's no reason to cut the strings at the bridge, just lock the ends in, wind the strings on and snip the excess off at the tuners same as you'd normally do.

Well, there are two reasons why I prefer the above method:

-the wound strings have unwound ends, you'll need to cut those off anyway

-if you trim of the excess at the tuner, you lose the ball end

I mainly string my guitars this way for cosmetic reasons; I just like the way it looks.

Not really, if you use the fine tuners as a reference there isn't much to it. It's a matter of trying it a few times and then it's just as easy as stringing it normally.

steven seagull
11-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Do you have a thing for ball ends then? o_O

Shnrub
11-25-2008, 09:30 AM
I have just the video for you

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sd-dnC0nJ2M

You'll also see the benefits or putting the string on the other way and keeping the ball end.

Edit: The vids title might put you off but he does re-string the guitar with the ball end at the headstock and is very clear on how to do it.

dcvlehr
11-25-2008, 09:38 AM
I just restrung my Ibanez s520ex with a ZR trem system. Took a whiiiiiiile of messing around with it since it was my first time ever re-stringing a tremelo system like that. I probably did it wrong at first, but when i first tuned it the trem was pulled all the way up. I had to mess with the action and that thumbwheele screw on the back, which i can't remember the name of right now.

Anyways, after about 40 minutes of messing with it, i got the action and the trem to a great position.

But to stay on topic, with my ibanez, i just cut the ball end off above where the wire was twisted and put that end on the bridge.

BulletzAreScene
01-02-2009, 12:57 AM

I have to disagree,
I think it'd be more reliable, because the ball end is stuck in place,
so there would be less string-slippage.
Or is there something I'm missing?

EDIT:
i see the video has already covered that..