big muff vs little big muff (& questions)

PDA

View Full Version : big muff vs little big muff (& questions)

dbl93100
11-28-2008, 10:24 AM
well i like the sound and would like a muff...i've narrowed it down to the big muff or little big muff...

are they exactly the same in sound, just different in size?
and would you classify a muff as fuzz?

i don't think i'd have any reason to get the big muff unless it sounded different.
i'm pretty sure i want the little big muff...

and a weird thing...on the ehx site the big muff and little big muff have the same knobs in the same order...

http://www.ehx.com/products/big-muff-pi

http://www.ehx.com/products/little-big-muff-pi

but on musicians friend, it shows that the little big muff has different knobs (sustain tone volume, as opposed to volume tone sustain)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Little-Big-Muff?sku=153340

so are the muffs the same?
thanks

lefthandman9876
11-28-2008, 10:27 AM
the little big muff sounds tinnier and not as much gain

the big one sounds significantly better

also how much would you do your strat shipped to UK?

dbl93100
11-28-2008, 10:29 AM
pm'ed

nemjeff13
11-28-2008, 07:52 PM
pretty similar...i had both because my little one stopped working, so they exchanged for a big one...i prefer the big one because i can change the volume knob with my feet when i play live...other than that not much different if at all imo

Exo M7
11-28-2008, 09:33 PM
No difference between little and big, muffs just sound different from box to box no matter what the size

lbj273
11-28-2008, 09:38 PM
They are the same thing in a different size box. Like it was stated earlier muffs change sometimes drastically from pedal to pedal. I have owned the Little Big Muff, and the Big Muff and they are great pedals. At lesser volumes you aren't getting as much as possible out of the muff. It will be slightly fuzzy but you will get more sustain than fuzz at low volumes. At higher volumes the muff is an awesome pedal, yes it is a fuzz, but you need some volume to get the most out of either muff.

bored_maniac33
11-28-2008, 09:38 PM
No difference between little and big, muffs just sound different from box to box no matter what the size

lol your w's annoy me.

personally...i just dont like muffs, but then again that doesnt help you. i tried out the big muff, and personally, the size ticks me off. i mean, ITS FREGIN HUGE!! and what's even more frustrating is that it really doesn't require that much space. ie, there isnt much circuitry, leaving you with one really big and incredibly light box. so, personally, id go with the small muff simply because it appears to do the same thing.

but thats all up to you. just my two cents

eurotrashed
11-28-2008, 09:43 PM
They sound different
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wrq9o_tw48&feature=related

bored_maniac33
11-28-2008, 09:48 PM
They sound different
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wrq9o_tw48&feature=related

....the big muff and little big muff sound "pretty much the same" according to my ears and the guy doing the video.....

lbj273
11-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Yes, the schematics are different but they do sound almost identical. If someone was to be playing one and you had to guess which it was, it would be very hard to determine which one it was.

eurotrashed
11-28-2008, 10:02 PM
....the big muff and little big muff sound "pretty much the same" according to my ears and the guy doing the video.....

And he goes on to say "I like the Big Muff, I think it's just a little bit thicker."

Please watch whole video, or just use your own ears because you can hear the difference

bored_maniac33
11-28-2008, 10:06 PM
And he goes on to say "I like the Big Muff, I think it's just a little bit thicker."

Please watch whole video, or just use your own ears because you can hear the difference

i did. and sure there is a weeeeeeeeeee bit of difference. not enough to warrant them having different sounds tho. slightly thicker does not convince me to buy something that much bigger

eurotrashed
11-28-2008, 10:09 PM
I really don't know how a Big Muff would be a size that would be inconvenient, both pedals are relatively small, its not like comparing combo amps to half stacks.

lbj273
11-28-2008, 10:11 PM
If you can afford it I strongly suggest you get a vintage muff, it will be well worth your money

Mitchell?
11-28-2008, 10:34 PM
All Muff's sound a bit different from each other, but really, Big Muff's and Little Big Muff's sound just as close as any Muff will sound to another.

I'd go with a Little Big Muff just for the smaller enclosure.

bored_maniac33
11-28-2008, 10:41 PM
I really don't know how a Big Muff would be a size that would be inconvenient, both pedals are relatively small, its not like comparing combo amps to half stacks.

have you ever used one? like i said, it's a personal thing, but it just felt cheap, and i dont like things to take up much more space than necesary

dullsilver_mike
11-29-2008, 12:11 AM
BYOC Large Beaver? It's got an intermediate size and options for several awesome sounding vintage muff circuits.

devit
11-29-2008, 12:14 AM
get the normal metal muff the one with like 5 or 6 nobs

SlappyMcLardfat
11-29-2008, 12:40 AM
get the normal metal muff the one with like 5 or 6 nobs
the metal muff is a distortion pedal, not a fuzz pedal. it's completely different.

Ardie12
11-29-2008, 12:45 AM
to add to the big muff vs. little big muff debate, i saw this review for the little big muff that i thinks makes some pretty good sence,
"I own the Big Muff fuzz while my friend owns the Little Big Muff. We compared the two and this it what we found. ROUND ONE: CONSTRUCTION The construction quality on both the Big Muff and the Little Big Muff is great, and actually the Little Big Muff seems more durable. Both have 3 control knobs (Sustain,Tone, and Volume) and an AC jack. The only differnce in construction is the size which is small and convient and complete metal casing of the Little Big Muff. WINNER:Electro~Harmonix Little Big Muff ROUND TWO: SOUND Honestly they both sound about the same. Great sustain, very crunchy, great for classic rock from the 60's and 70's to about anything you want to sound awesome. WINNER: They are both winners they both are amazing ROUND THREE: FINAL THOUGHTS At about 5$ dollars cheaper and more convient and sturdier construction I wish I would have bought the Electro~Harmonix Little Big Muff."

wh0aitzjames
05-31-2012, 02:50 PM
I just bought my little big muff today. I'm sure I've played the big muff before, but when I played the little big muff today it sounded so much alike. It wasn't until I got home that I realized it was actually smaller than the big muff. I thought i was buying the same pedal. And seeing as the little big muff is smaller and sounds identical, it was well worth it.

ckhgator
05-31-2012, 02:53 PM
the big big muff sounds much better imo, and its probably the most badass pedal there is. the little big muff pi will make more sense, though, if you have a smaller board and don't want to have to get any weird adapters

lbj273
05-31-2012, 03:10 PM
holy necro bump

iwannabesedated
05-31-2012, 06:21 PM
The Current Big Muff is louder and a little crunchier. Little Big Muff is smoother sounding.

Personally, I like the big one better.