Alternative to F minor Chord/arpeggio

PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to F minor Chord/arpeggio

2mins2midnite
11-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Im trying to learn this song, and it requires me playing an F minor Arpeggio which has F G# C Notes

the sweep motion i have to do is roll one of my fingers against 3 strings on the same fret to play these notes, and i hate rolling with one finger while sweeping, i can sweep well with 2-6 string sweeps using any postion and with rolling my finger on 2 strings. but if its more than that i freak out like some one scratching their nails against a chalk board. You dig?

so is there an alternative note choice that sounds the same as the f minor chord/arpeggio?. so i dont have to roll.

:-D
11-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Im trying to learn this song, and it requires me playing an F minor Arpeggio which has F G# C Notes

the sweep motion i have to do is roll one of my fingers against 3 strings on the same fret to play these notes, and i hate rolling with one finger while sweeping, i can sweep well with 2-6 string sweeps using any postion and with rolling my finger on 2 strings. but if its more than that i freak out like some one scratching their nails against a chalk board. You dig?

so is there an alternative note choice that sounds the same as the f minor chord/arpeggio?. so i dont have to roll.
1. An F minor arpeggio is F Ab C, not F G# C.

Here's the way I usually sweep an F minor:

e--------------4h8t13p8p4-----------
B-----------6--------------6--------
G--------5-------------------5------
D-----6-------------------------6---
A---8------------------------------8-
E---------------------------------------

Johnljones7443
11-29-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm an asshole, but in the context of an F minor arpeggio, you should refer to the G# as an Ab to describe its function as the minor third.

Try finding the two notes you have to roll in the same pitch, but on a different string set. Also I encourage you to learn to 'roll' so you don't get into the habit of avoiding things you find difficult.

rocker_01
11-29-2008, 09:09 PM
1. An F minor arpeggio is F Ab C, not F G# C

Are you kidding me?

No, really?

Are you kidding me?

No, really?
No. Why would you assume I was kidding?

2mins2midnite
^ oh yer i can sweep like that quite flawlessly i meant something like this

e----------14h17h14---------------
b--------14------------14-----------
g-----14------------------14--------
d--16------------------------16-----

i mean i can do it, it just feels uncomfortable
and guitar pro and all-guitar-chords-.com says that F minor = F G# C notes

Johnljones7443
11-29-2008, 09:10 PM

Then GuitarPro and all-guitar-chords.com are incorrect.

11-29-2008, 09:11 PM
That is incorrect.

If you don't want to use the shape I gave you, I'd recommend following John's advice and just either working at it or finding a different way to play it.

2mins2midnite
11-29-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm an asshole, but in the context of an F minor arpeggio, you should refer to the G# as an Ab to describe its function as the minor third.

Try finding the two notes you have to roll in the same pitch, but on a different string set. Also I encourage you to learn to 'roll' so you don't get into the habit of avoiding things you find difficult.

nah not difficult its just gets on my nerves and makes me cringe, maybe i should get used to it

11-29-2008, 09:12 PM
maybe i should get used to it
This. Just work slowly until it's accurate and you'll gradually begin to work it into your playing more easily.

2mins2midnite
11-29-2008, 09:16 PM
fair enuf guys

but i thought Ab is the same as G# and vice versa

11-29-2008, 09:18 PM
fair enuf guys

but i thought Ab is the same as G# and vice versa
They're enharmonic, but have different functions. A minor triad is spelled with scale degrees 1 b3 5, which would be F Ab C (F minor scale is F G Ab Bb C Db Eb). Were you to notate it F G# C, that's 1 #2 5 and, though it would sound the same, would not be an F minor triad.

bangoodcharlote
11-29-2008, 10:35 PM
I would suggest learning the technique used in the song. That's part of the reason to learn the song. However, I suggest using the Eruption-style tapped arp if you want to take a shortcut:

e-t8p1h4p1-

The4thHorsemen
11-29-2008, 11:01 PM
and though you should get used to playing it that way, I thought I'd point out you could play it
|---------------------------
|---------19-22-19----------
|------18----------18-------
|---19----------------19----
|21----------------------21-
|---------------------------

but you would have to slide up 5 frets