Which pedal should I buy?

PDA

View Full Version : Which pedal should I buy?

Pages : [1] 2

Amarant
11-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Which pedal should I buy, if I want to achieve a sound with more lows and a normal amount of mids that has a certain powerful bang to it? I am a rhythm guitarist and have to contrast from solo.
I was thinking of Boss Metal Core.
Thanks!

skilly1
11-30-2008, 11:28 AM
i am gonna buy that pedal soon, i want to get the metalica sound. have a look at harmony review, that site gives an indepth review of that pedal and everything else

Amarant
11-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Harmony review?

skilly1
11-30-2008, 12:27 PM
sorry, its called harmony central .com

SlappyMcLardfat
11-30-2008, 12:27 PM
the metal core is pretty chunky if that's what you're looking for.

WtrPlyr
11-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Do not get the metalcore, it sucks. Get an EQ

Amarant
11-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Eq?

Amarant
11-30-2008, 02:55 PM
A Simple question: which pedal is the best and bought the most, the god of all the pedals (like Gibson and ESP are the best guitar companies)?

ilovemySG
11-30-2008, 02:57 PM
yeah, dont get a metalcore, its such a cheap tone.
once your ear can tell good from bad, youl realize how bad that pedal is,
sure its a cheap way to get a halfway decent tone, but you dont see any guitarists using it.
the mxr 10 band EQ isnt too bad, but i wouldnt go metalcore

Kevin Saale
11-30-2008, 03:07 PM
A Simple question: which pedal is the best and bought the most, the god of all the pedals (like Gibson and ESP are the best guitar companies)?

There is no best (and it certainly wouldn't be gibson or ESP) and just because something is bought a lot doesn't make it good.

What kind of amp do you have, what's your budget, and what tone are you after?

Amarant
11-30-2008, 03:40 PM
I want to achieve a sound with more lows and a normal amount of mids that has a certain powerful bang to it and I am a rhythm guitarist, as I already said. I play in drop D, if that matters. And I play metal and rock. I think the max I can afford is around 200 euros. Preferably cheaper of course. Considering that I want to sound good live and there are always different amps up on the stage, it doesn't matter.
Why I asked for the best known pedal, is because I want familiarize with the topic. My friends tell me to look for Digitech and Boss.

Amarant
11-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Came across these two: http://www.thomann.de/gb/digitech_df7_distortion_factory.htm and http://www.thomann.de/gb/digitech_hardwire_hw_md_metaldistortion.htm
What do you think?

Kevin Saale
11-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Well, if you don't have an amp I'd suggest saving up for one.

Amarant
11-30-2008, 04:17 PM
I have a amp at home of course, but it's the lives I'm talking about. They are the place, where I have to switch between distortion and clean fast.
I have a Roland Micro Cube RX, btw.

TheGareth
11-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Amarat, have you considered the Electro Harmonix Metal Muff? It's probably perfect for your needs.

Amarant
11-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Reading the reviews, it seems pretty decent. So there's one more to my choice now.

WtrPlyr
12-01-2008, 07:41 AM
The Metal Muff is way better than the Metalcore, and don't rely too much on online-reviews. People even say a MG has the real Marshall crunch in those reviews.

Amarant
12-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Alright. Tried DF7 today -- total bull****. Metal Core sucks too. Couldn't find Hardwire TL2 and instead of Metal Muff I tried SEYMOUR DUNCAN SFX04 TWIN TUBE MAYHEM which was very good.
What do you think of Mayhem?

sharkbait08
12-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Amarat, have you considered the Electro Harmonix Metal Muff? It's probably perfect for your needs.

I just picked up a Metal Muff last week, and I LOVE it! I highly recommend it.

thsrayas
12-01-2008, 12:47 PM
I loved the Twin Tube Mayhem when I tried it, go for it if you like it. I wish I could but I can't afford to spend that much on a pedal.

Amarant
12-01-2008, 02:28 PM
I just heard that you have to rechange stuff on it after time, so I think it will be a money eater forever.
But I just discovered Boss Me-20. What do you think of that? It has a onstage tuner which I really need anyway, but I doubt in its distortion, because it has so many effects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftb-RaD11bs

Amarant
12-01-2008, 05:31 PM
What do you think of multiefect pedals?

Blacken Seas
12-01-2008, 06:15 PM
have you tried the hyde and jeckyll OD/Distortion pedal it's basically two pedals in one.

Kevin Saale
12-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Man, if you're thinking about spending that much on a pedal I'd just save up a bit more and get an amp that does what you want and is capable of playing live gigs.

FlyingBeerman
12-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Man, if you're thinking about spending that much on a pedal I'd just save up a bit more and get an amp that does what you want and is capable of playing live gigs.

+1

ilovemySG
12-01-2008, 07:01 PM
johnny dimarco..

mothership
12-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Don't get a boss in general. Get the sansamp gt-2

EMGPWNS
12-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Dont go boss. They're OK, but theyre sound quality isnt the best.

IMO, you should look at the MI Audio Crunch Box. (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MI-Audio-Crunch-Box-Distortion-Pedal?sku=150347&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=163416222)

Another good one that has been said already is the EHX Metal Muff. (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Metal-Muff-with-Top-Boost?sku=153339)

Both are way better quality than Boss. The Crunch Box is a bit more, but it has better sound IMO.

Amarant
12-02-2008, 02:35 PM
You can't switch between settings, if you have an amp. It's much faster to go from distortion to clean with a pedal.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/digitech_metal_master_verzerrerpedal.htm -- found Digitech Metal Master today and liked the sound. What do you think of it?
Couldn't find Metal Muff from my local stores, so I can't test it :(.

Amarant
12-02-2008, 03:48 PM
The Sansamp GT-2 seems cool...

thsrayas
12-02-2008, 03:54 PM
If the amp has a footswitch (which a lot if not most metal amps do) you CAN switch between clean and distortion, you don't need an effects pedal for it.

Amarant
12-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Anyway, I am not buying an amp, because it's not transportable enough.
Metal Muff vs Metal Master?

thsrayas
12-02-2008, 04:00 PM
:haha

You don't want an amp because it's not portable enough? What are you using to amplify your guitar?

Amarant
12-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Amps that don't belong to me.

thsrayas
12-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Why don't you just get your own amp?

dbl93100
12-02-2008, 04:19 PM
ths metal cores is crazy with its lows and highs u should check it out

Amarant
12-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Why don't you just get your own amp?
I already have one -- don't need another.

ths metal cores is crazy with its lows and highs u should check it out
Couldn't get a good sound out of that one.

ilovemySG
12-02-2008, 06:38 PM
your just like me dude, stop being stubborn and listen to these guys advice. theyv changed my mind about NUMEROUS things on MANY occasions, all for the better.

not trying to raise the gaydar, but im just saying what people said to me, when i was in your position about....7? months ago

Amarant
12-03-2008, 01:25 AM
your just like me dude, stop being stubborn and listen to these guys advice. theyv changed my mind about NUMEROUS things on MANY occasions, all for the better.

not trying to raise the gaydar, but im just saying what people said to me, when i was in your position about....7? months ago
I'm already doing that. I've got all the knowledge from pedals right from this forum. If it weren't for them, I would know anything about the Metal Muff which I'm really considering to buy atm.
Going to try Sansamp GT-2, but still don't know which one is better: Electro Harmonix Metal Muff or Digitech Hardwire TL-2.

thsrayas
12-03-2008, 01:50 AM
I'm sticking with getting an amp, just hear me out. Eventually people are going to stop letting you use their amps, they're going to get different ones or you're going to have to get your own for some other reason.

Now your equipment is going to sound different with most amps you play. You'll be dissatisfied with your tone depending on the amp you play your equipment with because each amp has it's own sound. For instance, the settings you usually have could be completely different depending on the amp you're playing with and the reason you might have liked your pedal in the first place could make you hate it because it will sound different with a different amp.

You will be MUCH better off getting your own amp. Stop making lame excuses like "oh, I don't wanna haul it around", we all know that's a load of crap because if you can't even lift a small amp then you have bigger problems then not finding a pedal you want.

josh3111
12-03-2008, 03:12 AM
Yeah I wouldn't buy any pedals until you get a bad ass amp.

FlyingBeerman
12-03-2008, 04:10 AM
I'm sticking with getting an amp, just hear me out. Eventually people are going to stop letting you use their amps, they're going to get different ones or you're going to have to get your own for some other reason.

Now your equipment is going to sound different with most amps you play. You'll be dissatisfied with your tone depending on the amp you play your equipment with because each amp has it's own sound. For instance, the settings you usually have could be completely different depending on the amp you're playing with and the reason you might have liked your pedal in the first place could make you hate it because it will sound different with a different amp.

You will be MUCH better off getting your own amp. Stop making lame excuses like "oh, I don't wanna haul it around", we all know that's a load of crap because if you can't even lift a small amp then you have bigger problems then not finding a pedal you want.

+1

shadow__666
12-03-2008, 04:56 AM
Ok, let me ask; what amp are you using to play live?

madh4ttr
12-03-2008, 06:23 AM
instead of looking for a pedal for tone, why don't you look for a good metal amp. Most affordable would be Randall G3 series

Amarant
12-03-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm not buying an amp :D! I have band try-outs all the time and I just can't imagine myself moving around the streets with an amp on my shoulder every day. That's nonsense. I just want a pedal.
Ok, let me ask; what amp are you using to play live?
The amp they give me.

So again: Electro Harmonix Metal Muff or Digitech Hardwire TL-2?

Hamsolo666
12-03-2008, 10:39 AM
i got a digitech x-series metal master with an EQ for years....and the way i set my EQ it has a pretty bad ass tone....so try some pedals at a store for exemple and then when you bought the pedal you like the most try it and if its not enough heavy for you try an EQ.

thsrayas
12-03-2008, 11:06 AM
No band is going to like that you're using their amp instead of your own. If they ask you "what equipment will you be using?" and you say "yours" how do you think they're going to like that compared to somebody who has all their own gear?

Get a damn amp.

Amarant
12-03-2008, 12:54 PM
I already have an amp for home practice. In the band try-out I have another amp which is for public use and I pay rent for it. Live I use the amp I'm given. I don't need another one and I can't afford to buy a better one than the one in the try-out place.
I need a pedal.

thsrayas
12-03-2008, 01:28 PM
You have 200 Euros and a Micro Cube. Sell the micro cube and buy a used amp that will be good for metal.

Seriously, what do you think is going to happen if you aren't given an amp for a gig? Or what if a band you like doesn't want you to use their gear? This whole borrowing amps thing isn't going to last forever.

Amarant
12-03-2008, 01:52 PM
It has lasted 2 years already for the band. I don't think we will become a band that travels around with trucks carrying stuff for us in the near future, so I'll still go for the pedal, because all the lives until today have had their own amps.

stradivari310
12-03-2008, 02:21 PM
If you're so set on not buying an amp (stupid idea IMO), at least save up for a good multieffects unit. But expect to never have a consistent tone from amp to amp, you're really shooting yourself in the foot here.

Kai07
12-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Metal Muff > Metal Master

be sure to get the Top Boost one =]

aradroxar
12-03-2008, 03:43 PM

+2

Amarant
12-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Metal Muff vs Sansamp GT-2?

THEKID546
12-03-2008, 11:09 PM
The TL-2 is definately better than the metal muff.

Its more versatile, and it just plain sounds good for a pedal with the name "metal" in it.

The metal muff sounds good but it really dosent offer alot of variation, its baisicly balls to wall all the time and the higher you bring the gain the more fuzzier it gets.

Sounds good tough.

Tech 21 stuff is good but it colors your tone, alot.

Depending on what amp you have it maybe a plus or a minus.

ilovemySG
12-03-2008, 11:44 PM
+2

+3

i guess the fact that UG in its entirety agrees doesnt matter!

dude listen! your JUST like me!

im stubborn too! but everyone has to give in!

were trying to helppp

Luxifer
12-03-2008, 11:58 PM
+2

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Luxifer
12-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Guy, if your not gonna listen then just shut the fck up and get your stubborn ass outa here.

Highwaytohell
12-04-2008, 12:23 AM
Hey guess what
YOU ARE USING A MICRO CUBE!
they don't take pedals well

You might as well just get a POD and plug it into the PA if you are going to be so stubborn

For god sakes do you not have a car or something? Every guitar player has to carry around their amp. Do you honestly think we all just use the house ****? God no, not unless we don't have a viable way of transporting our instruments. Grow some balls. Seriously.

Kevin Saale
12-04-2008, 01:06 AM
Actually, if TS refuses to get an amp a pod would probably be a much better idea with much more consistent tone.

thsrayas
12-04-2008, 01:34 AM
It's true, but unless every gig they play has a PA then he's going to need to buy one or an amp that doesn't color his tone. Either way he would be best off selling the cube and getting an amp. 200 Euros + money from Micro Cube = decent amp.

hippyheaven1
12-04-2008, 12:03 PM
JESUS FRICKING CHRIST!!!!!!!!

what IS it with people????!!!!!!

The guy is asking a simple question... which pedal he should get!!!!
where do you all get off telling people what they do and dont want/need??? he has repeatedly said he doesnt need a new amp so just leave it be hey???!!!

in answer to your question my friend... ive tried most of the metal pedals and the best (in MY opinion) is the metal muff.

peace

G

Amarant
12-04-2008, 12:28 PM
The TL-2 is definately better than the metal muff.

Its more versatile, and it just plain sounds good for a pedal with the name "metal" in it.

The metal muff sounds good but it really dosent offer alot of variation, its baisicly balls to wall all the time and the higher you bring the gain the more fuzzier it gets.

Sounds good tough.

Tech 21 stuff is good but it colors your tone, alot.

Depending on what amp you have it maybe a plus or a minus.
A very tough decision: some people say TL-2 is good, some say Metal Muff. They don't sell either in the shops in my country, so I'll just have to pick one and order it.
Hardwire TL-2 is kind of new, am I right?

Oh, and I still don't want an amp, because my band try-out already has one and the gigs we have played until today and in the near future still have their own amps. We're not hosting our own concerts yet.
A car? Nope, not in the right age.

thsrayas
12-04-2008, 12:43 PM
JESUS FRICKING CHRIST!!!!!!!!

what IS it with people????!!!!!!

The guy is asking a simple question... which pedal he should get!!!!
where do you all get off telling people what they do and dont want/need??? he has repeatedly said he doesnt need a new amp so just leave it be hey???!!!

in answer to your question my friend... ive tried most of the metal pedals and the best (in MY opinion) is the metal muff.

peace

G

Because it's a very bad decision to just go with a pedal instead of getting a good amp, read through the thread if you want reasons why. Many of the people that posted telling him to get an amp have been in a similar situation before and are trying to help him by preventing him from wasting money. An amp is a much better investment than a pedal.

Amarant
12-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Because it's a very bad decision to just go with a pedal instead of getting a good amp, read through the thread if you want reasons why. Many of the people that posted telling him to get an amp have been in a similar situation before and are trying to help him by preventing him from wasting money. An amp is a much better investment than a pedal.
The lives we attend to give us the amps, so we don't have to bring our own, so buying my own amp is pointless.

thsrayas
12-04-2008, 01:01 PM
And when they stop giving you amps what are you going to do? Use your Micro Cube with your pedal? You don't know when the time is going to come to start using your own gear and you probably won't be satisfied with your sound in the mean time.

Retro Rocker
12-04-2008, 01:28 PM
T-Rex Bloody Mary (http://www.thomann.de/gb/trex_bloody_mary.htm)
I've got one and it's got the ballsiest sound to it I've ever heard.
A proper man's distortion.

But I'd have to agree with everyone else here.
You are never going to be taken seriously unless you have your own gear.
Hell, even if you just buy a head to take to live gigs it's better than expecting to leech off someone else all the time.

Amarant
12-04-2008, 02:18 PM
We'll just have to refuse from the shows that don't have their own tech.
I'll check out the Bloody Mary, thank you!

skilly1
12-04-2008, 02:43 PM
this thread has gone on for ages!

Retro Rocker
12-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Less than a week is hardly ages :p:

Amarant
12-04-2008, 03:22 PM
And I have almost got the answer. Thanks!

I'm very close to buying Digitech Hardwire TL-2 at the moment. I checked out Bloody Mary, but it got much critisism. I might still try Sansamp GT-2 and I haven't lost my hope for Metal Muff yet.

Jawkster
12-04-2008, 03:56 PM
I have both the BOSS Metal Core and Metal Zone (don't ask why), I'd recommend the Metal Zone over the Metal Core, it's that much more versatile.

Kevin Saale
12-04-2008, 04:07 PM

You've just proved t o everyone who said get an amp that we're right. That's all I'm saying, good luck.

THEKID546
12-04-2008, 06:17 PM
I know i said look at the TL-2, but these guys are right you need a solid amp.

Save up and buy an amp, pedals dont sound the same trough ever ****ing amp youll come across.

Just saying these guys are giving some solid advice.

ilovemySG
12-04-2008, 06:35 PM
i wanna hear TS play, like really bad.

theherodies
12-04-2008, 07:02 PM
the ML-2 (http://boyband625.com/gear.php?id=77)'s a good sounding, modern distortion...you could also consider something like Line 6's uber metal (http://boyband625.com/gear.php?id=199) ...sounds heavy too and should be about $20 cheaper

Amarant
12-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Alright, I like the Über Metal. Which one do you recommend more: Über Metal or Hardwire TL-2.

hippyheaven1
12-05-2008, 08:55 AM

I read the thread mate, im fully aware people think they are helping. But the thread starter asked specific questions. A pedal is not a bad investment, if thats what he wants/needs RIGHT NOW.

50 quid for a metal muff is a big difference to 2 or 3 hundred quid for an amp... especially if youve only got 50 quid in yer pocket.

why would you give advice to somebody who doesnt want it? let him make his own decision... he will learn whats best for him that way.

You've just proved t o everyone who said get an amp that we're right. That's all I'm saying, good luck.

your all more interested in "being right" than actually helping somebody.... it does my friggin head in I tell thee!!!!!

Amarant
12-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Did a topic to Harmony Central too :P. You've been great help all, but there's still one last dilemma: Line 6 Tonecore Über Metal vs Digitech Hardwire TL-2

thsrayas
12-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Which one do you like more?

podliver
12-05-2008, 01:04 PM
If I were you, I'd get the Metal Muff. It sounds like the perfect pedal for the kind of tone you're wanting.

I have one, so I would know. Amazing pedal :D

Amarant
12-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Which one do you like more?I wouldn't have asked you, if I had a preference. But I think I like Hardwire more, because it's Digitech.

Highwaytohell
12-05-2008, 06:53 PM
I'll check out the Bloody Mary, thank you!

You do realize that this will hinder you from playing ALOT of shows don't you?
wow...

ilovemySG
12-05-2008, 06:55 PM
How Many Fucking People Does It Take To Tell You That This Is The Wrong Decision?

Retro Rocker
12-05-2008, 07:03 PM
What didn't you like about the BM?

skilly1
12-05-2008, 07:33 PM
just throwing my 10 pence worth in here, i'd get a boss pedal to start with, digitech from my own research get a bad write up and i have four boss pedals which to me sound great so i'd go for the metal zone, i maybe throwing you off course a bit, either way its your decision. :shrug:

Kevin Saale
12-05-2008, 07:37 PM
just throwing my 10 pence worth in here, i'd get a boss pedal to start with, digitech from my own research get a bad write up and i have four boss pedals which to me sound great so i'd go for the metal zone, i maybe throwing you off course a bit, either way its your decision. :shrug:

They both get bad reviews are far as OD/distortion is concerned. The only passable pedal either company makes (as far as od/dist is concerned) are the Bad Monkey and to a less extent the SD-1 and BD-2 since they are easy to mod.

xander307
12-05-2008, 07:40 PM
A Simple question: which pedal is the best and bought the most, the god of all the pedals (like fender is the best guitar company)

fixed

Amarant
12-05-2008, 07:50 PM
wow...
Well... I'm not the leader of the band, I'm just doing what I'm told. The other guys don't have good sounding live amps either, so if we would want to doing 100% our own lives, we would have to invest A LOT to the amps and stuff (even the vocals need much strange tech).
What didn't you like about the BM?
Reviews say it lacks gain and sounds fuzzy :(.

skilly1
12-05-2008, 08:00 PM
i just got the od3, but just found out my laney 30vc has the same sound with the overdrve on, i didnt really think my amps overdrive did much till i got this pedal, anyway my ear is getting better but it still gives me even more over drive and a brighter tone i guess :eek:

Retro Rocker
12-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Reviews say it lacks gain and sounds fuzzy :(.
Hmm, strange.
Mine has all the gain I'd personally ever need, so I haven't had a problem with that.
It only really gets fizzy when you have the gain and level knobs set to the top, if you know how to EQ right it shouldn't be a problem.

One thing that I love about them (T.Rex pedals in general) is that they are almost annoyingly responsive to your playing. If you have crap technique, it will show.

thsrayas
12-05-2008, 08:19 PM
wow...

I'm tired of telling you to get an amp, even though I think it's your best option but please pay attention to this^. Like I said before, once the venues stop giving you amps to play you're going to be screwed. I think your entire band needs to start saving for some decent gigging equipment if none of them have anything gig worthy.

Again, if you have it narrowed down to two pedals then just A/B them with a few different amps and decide for yourself.

psychedelic14
12-05-2008, 08:45 PM
The metal muff. My bandmate owns one, and it's a lot better than any Boss/Digi-Tech pedal I've tried.

al112987
12-05-2008, 08:59 PM
There is so much wrong with this thread I don't even know where to start.

I have played a total of three gigs where the venue gave me an amp to use, and all three times they were the my school's music departments that they let me use for jazz recitals and whatnot. When I played gigs with my band, I ALWAYS had to use my own amp, most places have a PA, but not an actual guitar amplifier. I guess you could always try to run a pedal directly into the PA, but I can almost guarantee you that it will sound bad. Other than that, I've never seen places that give you amps to use.

Seriously, just save up your money and buy an amp. I've never heard of a gigging band that didn't have their own equipment. No, the house PA system does not count.

That being said, don't listen to your friends, if you have 200 euros to spend and they tell you to get a Digitech or Boss, they're idiots.

THEKID546
12-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Well do some more research buddy cause these hardwires arent your regular DIGITECH crap.

^and dude just try the pedals out there all phenomanal pedals well worth more than what they sell for IMO.
But your right if youve got 200 euros look at every option.

Amarant
12-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Tried Line 6 today -- I didn't like it that much, but my band approves, so I guess it's decent. The noise gate feature is an important factor of course: no switching off the pedal, instead just mute the strings and it's quiet.

stratdud39
12-06-2008, 01:31 PM
how did this thread get 95 posts?!?
and whats your amp?
If you already have decent distortion on it then you can just get an EQ pedal and achieve exactly what your looking for

Amarant
12-06-2008, 01:38 PM
I don't have a particular amp. I use the amps that are given to me. In the band try-out I have a Marshall amp, for example.

thsrayas
12-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Seriously, just go out and try more distortions and get the one you want.

ilovemySG
12-06-2008, 03:01 PM
holy shit this kid is annoying

buy an amp or go let natural selection take place PLEASE

Amarant
12-06-2008, 03:58 PM
I don't need an amp -- I need a pedal and I think it's gonna be Über Metal from Line 6.

al112987
12-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Tried Line 6 today -- I didn't like it that much, but my band approves, so I guess it's decent. The noise gate feature is an important factor of course: no switching off the pedal, instead just mute the strings and it's quiet.

You're going to buy a pedal that you don't like that much because your band thinks it sounds good?

Let me ask you something, would you spend $100 on a shirt you didn't like because your girlfriend likes it?

ilovemySG
12-06-2008, 05:58 PM
alright so:

you buy what other people want you to buy
your to lazy to buy your own amp, because other people can just supply it for you

why dont you think of yourself?

Amarant
12-06-2008, 06:06 PM
You're going to buy a pedal that you don't like that much because your band thinks it sounds good?

Let me ask you something, would you spend $100 on a shirt you didn't like because your girlfriend likes it?
I haven't heard a better sounding pedal either, though. I just know that it's one of the best and I'm buying it, unless I find something more awesome.
alright so:

you buy what other people want you to buy
your to lazy to buy your own amp, because other people can just supply it for you

why dont you think of yourself?
My whole band consists of pedal users, it would be very strange if I unplugged the huge Marshall try-out amp every time we go there and replace it with mine, the same goes for gigs.

al112987
12-06-2008, 06:07 PM
It's one of the best based on what? I assure you that you could probably find a better pedal for 200 euro than some Line 6 pedal.

My whole band consists of pedal users, it would be very strange if I unplugged the huge Marshall try-out amp every time we go there and replace it with mine, the same goes for gigs.

Most gigs do NOT have amps set up for players to use. What gigs have you been playing?

Amarant
12-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Based on the pedals they sell here. I haven't tried Sansamp GT-2 yet, but it's one of the more expensive ones, so maybe it's good. But reading the reviews I would not tell that.

thsrayas
12-06-2008, 06:11 PM
No offense or anything but your band sounds rather depressing, you all need to start getting your own equipment if you want to be taken seriously in the future.

Amarant
12-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Yup, that's the future and we know that. Future = money; now = no money.

thsrayas
12-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Well then at least start saving money so you're not totally screwed when you stop using other people's amps.

al112987
12-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Yup, that's the future and we know that. Future = money; now = no money.

You'd probably have more money if you weren't wasting them on pedals when you don't even have a gigging amp.

Based on the pedals they sell here. I haven't tried Sansamp GT-2 yet, but it's one of the more expensive ones, so maybe it's good. But reading the reviews I would not tell that.

First off, price does not always correlate with quality. Second, reviews are not always indicative because 1) different sounds sound good to different players and 2) a lot of reviewers really don't know what they're talking about. Its going to sound snobbish of me but it doesn't sound like you or your friends have any real experience, and you're better off not spending a large amount of money on a pedal that you don't like just because your bandmates (who most likely do not really know much better than yourself) tell you it's good.

Amarant
12-06-2008, 06:26 PM
You'd probably have more money if you weren't wasting them on pedals when you don't even have a gigging amp.

First off, price does not always correlate with quality. Second, reviews are not always indicative because 1) different sounds sound good to different players and 2) a lot of reviewers really don't know what they're talking about. Its going to sound snobbish of me but it doesn't sound like you or your friends have any real experience, and you're better off not spending a large amount of money on a pedal that you don't like just because your bandmates (who most likely do not really know much better than yourself) tell you it's good.
We need something to play music in the meanwhile still.
I read the negative reviews only, because these don't usually lie that much. I know the positive ones are crap.

al112987
12-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Just out of curiosity, what amp do the places you gig provide you?

mepmep
12-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Alright. Tried DF7 today -- total bull****. Metal Core sucks too. Couldn't find Hardwire TL2 and instead of Metal Muff I tried SEYMOUR DUNCAN SFX04 TWIN TUBE MAYHEM which was very good.
that pedal is god

Amarant
12-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Just out of curiosity, what amp do the places you gig provide you?
I don't know. Haven't played live yet with the band, but as they told, good ones.

ilovemySG
12-07-2008, 03:29 AM
this is REDICULOUS

TAKE OUR ADVICE
YOU AND YOUR "BAND" DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT!

im generally not a very argumentative person or flaming person especially on ultimateguitar but cmon does anybody agree that this guy needs to screw his head on?!?!

MRAAJR
12-07-2008, 03:45 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

YES.....if you are gonna get a pedal get the EHX Metal Muff. EHX makes quality sh*t. I personally hate Line 6 but hey, if you wanna be a follower your whole life, get what your "mates" think sound good. Go spend that money on a Blackheart Little Giant or a Epiphone Valve Junior (yes i am biased) and THEN buy a pedal. I would hate having to play through a different amp at every show.

Amarant
12-07-2008, 05:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGgGBtbWxRs -- damn, this pedal really is a god. It sounds so good.

thsrayas
12-07-2008, 11:09 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

YES.....if you are gonna get a pedal get the EHX Metal Muff. EHX makes quality sh*t. I personally hate Line 6 but hey, if you wanna be a follower your whole life, get what your "mates" think sound good. Go spend that money on a Blackheart Little Giant or a Epiphone Valve Junior (yes i am biased) and THEN buy a pedal. I would hate having to play through a different amp at every show.

A VJ or Blackheart would be a terrible option for him if he's going to use it for gigging, if he was going to buy an amp he would need something with some headroom. But it's useless anyway because he refuses to listen to anything we say.

Amarant
12-07-2008, 12:27 PM
It's pointless to buy my own amp. I don't have a spare 1300 dollars to spend. The gigs we attend all give us tubed amps and if they don't, we will rent 'em.
I feel like I'm buying the Metal Mayhem -- it costs much, but hopefully it's worth it, so I won't make a foolish one-time investment. Trying it again tomorrow, and Über Metal too just in case.

ilovemySG
12-07-2008, 02:19 PM
how much ****ing money does it take to rent an amp?

what if you dont like the amp?
what if it just sucks?
what if a tube is busted?
YOUR ****ED
you will save hassle, money, time, and tone by buying your amp instead of ****ty line 6 crap, the only thing you should buy from like 6 is a pod.

stop being so ignorant.,

Highwaytohell
12-07-2008, 02:21 PM
I think this guy might be a troll...
Seriously man, Why come on this forum if you're not going to listen to our opinions...

EDIT: It is most definitely not pointless to buy your own amplifier. One day you won't be able to play a gig with a backline and you can't rent one.
It is obvious to me that you also don't want to have your own tone. I don't think you understand how music business works. I'll leave it up to you to find out. Have a good day if you don't want to listen.

ilovemySG
12-07-2008, 02:25 PM
I think this guy might be a troll...
Seriously man, Why come on this forum if you're not going to listen to our opinions...

yah,

so

basically

GTFO

Amarant
12-07-2008, 02:31 PM
I really appreciate your concern, but WE DO NOT HAVE MONEY THE MONEY FOR OUR OWN AMPS. I'm very thankful for the help you've all been giving to me. Thank you very much!
I'm now thinking of buying Twin Tube Mayhem. Any thoughts?

ilovemySG
12-07-2008, 02:40 PM
if you have the money to rent amps every show, and buy legit tube pedals, then you can get an amp

5th_fret
12-07-2008, 02:41 PM

wow, so many wrong things in so little space.

ilovemySG
12-07-2008, 02:42 PM
this kid is honestly the dummest, most ignorant, obnoxious, following guitarist on this website

please post some playing, now

Highwaytohell
12-07-2008, 02:44 PM
I really appreciate your concern, but WE DO NOT HAVE MONEY THE MONEY FOR OUR OWN AMPS. I'm very thankful for the help you've all been giving to me. Thank you very much!
I'm now thinking of buying Twin Tube Mayhem. Any thoughts?

Than save your money
Pedal wont help

/thread

Retro Rocker
12-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Any thoughts?
Yes.
How are you going to afford to 'rent' amps for every show?

ilovemySG
12-07-2008, 03:20 PM
why wont this kid face it?

**** it, im making a thread

Datrooper
12-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Rp-350 FTW! Heres a little math equation for ya: Rp-350>Anything else

al112987
12-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Amarant:

I don't see why you need a pedal at all. If the gigs provide you with these great tube amps, how do you know you even need a pedal? You realize generally the best high gain tones come from amps right? And if you're renting an amp, why not just rent an amp that has a good metal tone? What are you honestly going to do? Bring your pedal and guitar with you to a gig (where apparently, venues where live just have Marshall tube stacks lying around for anyone to use) and then run a crappy Line 6 pedal into a $3000 Marshall. Just a bit of advice, no one who isn't completely tone deaf would run an uber metal into a high end Marshall.

ilovemySG
12-07-2008, 03:25 PM
i made a thread with a poll

its getting updated every minute, check it out

thsrayas
12-07-2008, 03:35 PM
There are so many things wrong with this thread, it's really depressing.

ilovemySG
12-07-2008, 03:36 PM
There are so many things wrong with this thread, it's really depressing.

agreed,

if i knew how to report a thread i would

thsrayas
12-07-2008, 03:37 PM
...You've been here for two years and don't know how to report a thread?

ilovemySG
12-07-2008, 03:37 PM
yep,

never have had to
lol

thsrayas
12-07-2008, 03:46 PM
It's the button right next to the symbol that shows whether somebody is online or offline, the exclamation point.

Amarant
12-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Amarant:

I don't see why you need a pedal at all. If the gigs provide you with these great tube amps, how do you know you even need a pedal? You realize generally the best high gain tones come from amps right? And if you're renting an amp, why not just rent an amp that has a good metal tone? What are you honestly going to do? Bring your pedal and guitar with you to a gig (where apparently, venues where live just have Marshall tube stacks lying around for anyone to use) and then run a crappy Line 6 pedal into a $3000 Marshall. Just a bit of advice, no one who isn't completely tone deaf would run an uber metal into a high end Marshall.
Well... usually the gigs don't have amps with good enough distortion, so they need to be replaced with the pedal's. But of course, if the amp's distortion is good enough, no one will ruin it with their own distortion.

... and another way is to tell the host to rent the amps, because we usually don't have the money.

Blompcube
12-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Well... usually the gigs don't have amps with good enough distortion, so they need to be replaced with the pedal's. But of course, if the amp's distortion is good enough, no one will ruin it with their own distortion.

... and another way is to tell the host to rent the amps, because we usually don't have the money.
then don't expect to be paid for the gig (they'd definitely take it out of the money they'd normally pay you), or indeed allow your band to play.

al112987
12-07-2008, 05:00 PM

So... you're going to ask the host to spend the money for you to have an amp?

I'm curious, what kind of gigs are you playing?

Amarant
12-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Festivals and all kinds of places where we are invited. The next one is a charity concert and we might play a few acoustic songs in the school too, but that's not the topic.

al112987
12-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Me personally, I think it sounds buzzy, harsh, unmusical and the "tubes" is a complete gimmick.

Most of all, it sounds superficial, and the tone lacks any complexity whatsoever. I really do not think that high gain tones that come from pedals sound that great.

Amarant
12-07-2008, 05:31 PM
What pedal do you prefer to it? Thanks!

al112987
12-07-2008, 05:38 PM
I've never liked high gain tones from pedals. I don't really play metal but if I did, I'd take a decent high gain amp, voiced for what I wanted to play over a pedal any day of the week.

imsamjacob
12-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Think about investing in a compression pedal

311ZOSOVHJH
12-07-2008, 10:42 PM
OK imsamjacob, that's the 3rd crappy post from you back to back that I've read. You are not making any sense. Just like this entire thread. I actually got sick to my stomache reading this thread and I was hoping it would go away until you bumped it with what? A compression pedal? Did you even read the thread?

Please stop with your bad recommendations and welcome to UG :cheers:

Highwaytohell
12-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Get goolz in here... We're going to have to pillage this guy's village.

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 01:21 AM

Why in the world would he need a compression pedal?

Amarant
12-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Tried Mayhem today again. It didn't have the low crunch sound, but it sounds really clear and has the quality. Though, the pedals that had the low, didn't have the quality, when playing more open 3 and 4 string power chords without the palm mute. Well, I guess you just can't get both...

al112987
12-08-2008, 01:41 PM
http://www.netmusicians.org/files/49-tester%20riff.mp3

how does this pedal sound to you?

Amarant
12-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Very good, though, without the strong bottom crunch. It sounds almost like Mayhem, I think. What's it actually?

al112987
12-08-2008, 01:54 PM
It doesn't have much low end thump because its a $100 15 watt amp with an 8" speaker. Just get the 30 watt version for $200. Cheaper than the tube mayhem, and more useful.

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Wait, did you just trick him into thinking an amp was a pedal?

Amarant
12-08-2008, 02:29 PM
I don't see myself carrying an amp through the town every week, when we have a try-out. Anyway, what amp is it?

al112987
12-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Wait, did you just trick him into thinking an amp was a pedal?

Pretty much.

My reasoning is this, he says he can't afford a new amp which is why he is going to spend $250 on a SD tube mayhem pedal, so...

I post a clip of a $99 amp, that gets close to the tone he wants, tell him that it's a pedal, he says he likes it, and then just reveal that it's not actually a pedal, it's a $99 amp, and if you can afford a $250 SD tube mayhem pedal then you can certainly afford the $200 30 watt version of the amp I just posted. Which 1) gets the tone he wants and 2) is actually useful. The point is, no one was going to be able to convince him against wastefully buying a pedal even if he has no amp of his own to gig with because no matter what the guy could just always say "I can't afford it, and the amps that are in my price range don't sound good to me." Well, here is something that cost less than the pedal. And doesn't seem to sound too bad, it's a win win situation.

edit:

It's a Peavey Vypyr 15 in the clip. The 30 watt version cost $200 USD. Since you already have a Marshall to use at tryouts, then you don't need to haul it with you to tryouts, but it gives you a gigging amp that gets a sound you like for a cheap price. I don't see how you could lose in this situation.

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Pretty much.

:haha:haha:haha

That was an epic win. :cheers:

I don't see myself carrying an amp through the town every week, when we have a try-out. Anyway, what amp is it?

FFS, a 30W amp isn't heavy and it will be a much better option than a pedal.

311ZOSOVHJH
12-08-2008, 02:36 PM
WOW. Absolutely Classic.

Al - you are my new hero.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Pretty much.

My reasoning is this, he says he can't afford a new amp which is why he is going to spend $250 on a SD tube mayhem pedal, so...

I post a clip of a $99 amp, that gets close to the tone he wants, tell him that it's a pedal, he says he likes it, and then just reveal that it's not actually a pedal, it's a $99 amp, and if you can afford a $250 SD tube mayhem pedal then you can certainly afford the $200 30 watt version of the amp I just posted. Which 1) gets the tone he wants and 2) is actually useful. The point is, no one was going to be able to convince him against wastefully buying a pedal even if he has no amp of his own to gig with because no matter what the guy could just always say "I can't afford it, and the amps that are in my price range don't sound good to me." Well, here is something that cost less than the pedal. And doesn't seem to sound too bad, it's a win win situation.

edit:

It's a Peavey Vypyr 15 in the clip. The 30 watt version cost $200 USD. Since you already have a Marshall to use at tryouts, then you don't need to haul it with you to tryouts, but it gives you a gigging amp that gets a sound you like for a cheap price. I don't see how you could lose in this situation.
The Marshall tube amp I have in the try-out doesn't even have drive in it, so I still need something to get distortion.

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Then use the amp at the try outs.

stratman_13
12-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Dude, really? The Marshall you use for tryouts doesn't have "drive" because you aren't turning it up. It's a one channel amp. Get an OD pedal, turn the preamp volume up on the amp, put the OD's volume on 10, and then slowly raise the master volume on the Marshall.

EDIT: Only if it's what I'm thinking it is (JCM 800). I could be wrong

Boom. Marshall awesomeness.

And back on topic. Al basically wins. Dude, just get the amp. Wouldn't having an amp be so much better than carrying around a pedal? You wouldn't have to constantly tweak the pedal to match the situation. You could just plug in and play with a tone you like.

But if you don't want to listen, then I give up. Good luck, even though you're going in a very stupid direction.

MustangSVT
12-08-2008, 03:06 PM
From what I've read so far, this is what I understand.

#1 - your band uses pedals
#2 - you refuse shows that don't have amplifiers supplied to you
#3 - you sometimes spend money on renting gear
#4 - you have 200 euro's to spend on some crappy pedal even though you don't have gear
#5 - you tried out some pedal and you weren't too impressed by it, but your bandmates liked it, so you just do what they tell you? What kind of band is this exactly.

Considering al112987's trick on you, I don't think you have an idea at all of what tone you're after and you wouldn't be able to tell good tone from bad tone either.

Considering #3 and #4, if you wouldn't waste money on renting stuff and pedals, and could save up in a few months time enough money for a reasonable amp. I don't know what sort of gigs you play, but I figure it must be pretty small shows, so something like a 30W-60W SS amp would probably be enough. I know I could play some small shows with my crappy Peavey 40W SS if I wanted to. It wouldn't sound "great", but it wouldn't sound "bad" either if you're decent at the instrument.

al112987
12-08-2008, 03:09 PM
The Marshall tube amp I have in the try-out doesn't even have drive in it, so I still need something to get distortion.

This has told me one of two things....

1) The amp has gain you just don't know how to use it

or

2) It's a non-master volume amp, like a super lead, jmp or jtm45 and you want to run a Line 6 uber metal through it, well... I'm quite utterly speechless to be honest.

stratman_13
12-08-2008, 03:11 PM
This has told me one of two things....

1) The amp has gain you just don't know how to use it

or

2) It's a non-master volume amp, like a super lead, jmp or jtm45 and you want to run a Line 6 uber metal through it, well... I'm quite utterly speechless to be honest.

My thoughts exactly.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 03:15 PM
...and my Micro Cube RX for home practice cost 425 dollars.

What's wrong with that?

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 03:17 PM
You paid $425 for a Micro Cube? Wow you got ripped off.

EDIT: I think the max I can afford is around 200 euros.

So you apparently live in Europe, but you paid in dollars?

pak1351
this kid is honestly the dummest, most ignorant, obnoxious, following guitarist on this website

please post some playing, now
looooool. I love irony.

Also, i think bb king rents amps when he's on tour in each town, just saying people do it.

That being said, if you were having amps provided for you at gigs, you should be familiar with different types of amps. And a Marshall without drive is unheard of

al112987
Meaning what?

Anyway, this thread just got a lot more interesting...

Just out curiosity, which of these does the Marshall you use at tryouts look most like...

http://www.12fret.com/new/marshall_amplifier_heads_cabinets.jpg

stratman_13
12-08-2008, 03:22 PM
...and my Micro Cube RX for home practice cost 425 dollars.

What's wrong with that?
The problem is that the Marshall's own sound, whcih will kick the living hell out of that pedal, will be completely and utterly lost.

And 425 for a MicroCube? You got ripped off. And the MicroCube isn't even that great of an amp.

Armarant, you really, REALLY, need to listen to everyone on this forum who's telling you to get an amp. If you save up the money that you use to rent the equiopment or buy all these useless pedals, you could have an amazing amp that will do everything you're looking for and beyond.

And I agree with Al, this did get interesting quickly.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Umm... I really don't know. The left one maybe, but with less buttons. Why?

ilovemySG
12-08-2008, 03:26 PM
The problem is that the Marshall's own sound, whcih will kick the living hell out of that pedal, will be completely and utterly lost.

And 425 for a MicroCube? You got ripped off. And the MicroCube isn't even that great of an amp.

Armarant, you really, REALLY, need to listen to everyone on this forum who's telling you to get an amp. If you save up the money that you use to rent the equiopment or buy all these useless pedals, you could have an amazing amp that will do everything you're looking for and beyond.

And I agree with Al, this did get interesting quickly.

+1

Amarant
12-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Why are they making pre-amps (that's what the Mayhem also is, I understood today) and stuff like that, if they're ruining Marshall's own sound?

stratman_13
12-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Why?

Next time you have a tryout with that amp....

Crank it.

Then, you shall know why.

And it sounds like the tryout amp is a 50 or 100 watt JCM800 or JMP, both of which are single channel amps. The only way you get breakup is by turning them up.

Loud.

Why are they making pre-amps (that's what the Mayhem also is, I understood today) and stuff like that, if they're ruining Marshall's own sound?
They don't rip off Marshall's sound, mate. That's not what I meant. Okay, let me try and break this down.

The Line 6 Ubermetal is a solid state circuit; there are no tubes in it. The Twin Tube Mayhem is a tube pedal; it has 2 12AX7's in it (if I remember correctly, but that's irrelivent). The Marshall that we're reffering to is a tubed Marshall.

Tubed amps takes many pedals well, but because the Line 6 is a solid state pedal, it will modify the natural tubed signal from the Marshall.

Anyone that can explain this better, please do :haha

al112987
12-08-2008, 03:30 PM

If the amp looks anything like this...

http://www.gruposmadrid.com/articulos/jcm800.jpg

Then it does have overdrive, it has very good overdrive. You just don't know how to use the amp.

If the amp looks like this....

http://www.12fret.com/new/marshall_1959SLP_plexi_amp

It also has very good overdrive, you just don't know how to use it. And in fact, the overdrive on this is so good, that is pretty much considered the holy grail of rock amps.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Okay, I'll try that. Thanks!
But why do people buy pedals after all then? Because they don't want to carry their amps, right?
http://www.thomann.de/gb/seymour_duncan_sfx04_twin_tube_mayhem.htm -- why are things like this being made and bought?

Lol, yes! It's the upper one. Well, you're right, I haven't been able to change the settings and stuff on it and that's because I don't know anything about these things. I just did what I was told by smarter and more experienced people.

stratman_13
12-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Hey Aramarant, check the post I just finished editing. I couldn't type it quick enough; it should answer your question

=
Lol, yes! It's the upper one. Well, you're right, I haven't been able to change the settings and stuff on it and that's because I don't know anything about these things. I just did, what my band told me.
Don't do what your band tells you to do. They don't even know what they're doing.

Trust us. The gain on the amp that you use for tryouts really is considered the holy grail of rock distortion. If you lear how to use it, it'll make you reject all pedals you've been looking at and will more than likely sway you to buy your own amp.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Alright, I get it about the ****ty Digitech, Boss and Line 6 pedals now, but Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem is what I'm currently most interested in.

Btw, going out of the topic pretty much now too, if you're telling me that we play bad amps that are just given to us, you're wrong -- we get that kind of Marshall amps in all our lives (okay, I just joined, but I'm talking about the group's past). And the guitarist, if he is satisfied with the amps sound, uses it purely only.

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 03:37 PM
And even after a great explanation you still fail to take anything in...

stratman_13
12-08-2008, 03:40 PM
http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=Marshall+JTM45

al112987
12-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Okay, I'll try that. Thanks!
But why do people buy pedals after all then? Because they don't want to carry their amps, right?
http://www.thomann.de/gb/seymour_duncan_sfx04_twin_tube_mayhem.htm -- why are things like this being made and bought?

If I play a gig, I load my amp up in my car, with all my pedals, and I bring it all with me. Pedals are just an accessory. It cannot replace having an amp.

Lol, yes! It's the upper one. Well, you're right, I haven't been able to change the settings and stuff on it and that's because I don't know anything about these things. I just did what I was told by smarter and more experienced people.

Well, here is how you get overdrive on that amp.

There is a knob on that amp that says "pre-gain" and you turn it to 10. And there is a knob on that amp that says "post" or "volume" or "master volume" or whatever, and you turn that to 10.

Lastly, people don't have JCM800 stacks lying around for anyone to use at every gig. I don't honestly believe that when your band plays live, the venue always gives you an amp like that to use.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 03:42 PM
http://www.instrumentpro.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/mar2466.jpg -- that's the amp I use in the try-out. I'm sorry, I know nothing about this stuff. The first one just looked similar...

311ZOSOVHJH
12-08-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm actually hoping this is troll or a trick as that would at least show the TS has half a brain to conjure up this mess.

al112987
12-08-2008, 03:45 PM
http://www.instrumentpro.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/mar2466.jpg -- that's the amp I use in the try-out. I'm sorry, I know nothing about this stuff. The first one just looked similar...

I don't know what kind of Marshall-land you live in but people who have amps like that don't waste their money on distortion pedals like the twin tube mayhem.

I'm actually hoping this is troll or a trick as that would at least show the TS has half a brain to conjure up this mess.

I know, this all seems ridiculous beyond belief.

stratman_13
12-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Still, like I said earlier, and like what al just said.

Turn the pre-gain knob on the amp all the way up.

Next, slowly turn up the master volume on the amp (should end up around 2 or 3 maybe)

And there's your gain.

EDIT: :haha @al

Amarant
12-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Well, we haven't got a distortion out of that amp before and have always used pedals. What do you suggest then?
Where's the pre-gain knob?

Last question: why are pre-amps like Twin Tube Mayhem made after all?

al112987
12-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Well, we haven't got a distortion out of that amp before and have always used pedals. What do you suggest then?

Ok, this has to be trolling, if it's not, I don't know what else to say but sorry, you guys just suck then.

I suggest you learn how to use that amp.

Because sometimes people think their tone is too sterile and want a boost that has some warmth that comes from vacuum tubes. Also, it's a big gimmick imo.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Still, like I said earlier, and like what al just said.

Turn the pre-gain knob on the amp all the way up.

Next, slowly turn up the master volume on the amp (should end up around 2 or 3 maybe)

And there's your gain.

EDIT: :haha @al

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Okay, thanks.

I suggest you learn how to use the amp.

Pedals like that are made for people that occasionally do metal and have plenty of money to blow on a pedal.

stratman_13
12-08-2008, 03:50 PM
What should you do?

Do what this entire thread has been telling you to do. Your band probably rented that amp because it had the Marshall logo on it.

Seriously. Either you're just trolling, or you're an idiot.

You have two options. Keep wasting money on pedals and amp rentals, or just save taht money and get a new amp. If you can afford to buy pedals out the butt, then you can certainly save for an amp.

There is a third option though...

steal the VIntage Modern. :p:

Read under the knobs, dude.

EDIT: ****, my bad. Al's right. Forgot its a VM

al112987
12-08-2008, 03:51 PM

On a vintage modern...

Detail - more gain in highs and high mids
Body - more gain in low mids

MustangSVT
12-08-2008, 03:55 PM
This doesn't make any sense. Your band has a $1500 Marshall head, but you don't use it for gigs, and you guys don't use the amps distortion? This sounds made up.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Alright, but what if I get a really bad amp on a gig. What kind of a pedal could make the sound better on THAT amp? Twin Tube Mayhem or Line 6 Über Metal? Of course, I would use the amp's original tone, if it had a good one.
This doesn't make any sense. Your band has a $1500 Marshall head, but you don't use it for gigs, and you guys don't use the amps distortion? This sounds made up.
We rent the place try-out place, where these amps are.

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Why don't you save your money until that day comes?

Amarant
12-08-2008, 03:57 PM
EDIT: ****, my bad. Al's right. Forgot its a VM
So it's not possible to get a good distortion out of that? Or is it the holy grail too?

stratman_13
12-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Alright, but what if I get a really bad amp on a gig. What kind of a pedal could make the sound better on THAT amp? Twin Tube Mayhem or Line 6 Über Metal? Of course, I would use the amp's original tone, if it had a good one.

We rent the place try-out place, where these amps are.
WHICH is exactly why you need to get your own amp.

So it's not possible to get a good sound out of that? Or is it the holy grail too?
No, I named the knobs wrong on the Vintage Modern. The JCM series (800, 900, 2000) have different control names for certain aspects

MetalMan-93
12-08-2008, 03:59 PM
the hardwire metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzgxc62ZWSk

sounds so good

MustangSVT
12-08-2008, 03:59 PM
People in this thread have already recommended and proven to you several times that an amp would be better for you than an effects pedal. The website you linked to (thomann.de) has a Roland Cube 60 for only a bit more than the pedal (250 euros or something like something). You would do much better to just get that than waste the money on a pedal when you don't even have your own proper amp.

Anyway I'm gonna stop posting in this thread. This is either a very lame joke you're playing on us, or you are just one of the most stubborn and uneducated guitar players I've found on this website.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 04:00 PM
No, I named the knobs wrong on the Vintage Modern. The JCM series (800, 900, 2000) have different control names for certain aspects
Thats what I use -- the Vintage Modern: http://www.instrumentpro.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/mar2466.jpg
Is it possible to get a metal sounding distortion out of this amp without a pedal?

stratman_13
12-08-2008, 04:00 PM
People in this thread have already recommended and proven to you several times that an amp would be better for you than an effects pedal. The website you linked to (thomann.de) has a Roland Cube 60 for only a bit more than the pedal (250 euros or something like something). You would do much better to just get that than waste the money on a pedal when you don't even have your own proper amp.
He could also go used and get a tube as well. Albeit a small used tube, but it would do better than the Cube IMO

Thats what I use -- the Vintage Modern: http://www.instrumentpro.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/mar2466.jpg
Is it possible to get a metal sounding distortion out of this amp without a pedal?
Why would you need to if you're just going to rent amps?

Yes, you can get an amazing metal sound out of the Vintage Modern. You'll need a pedal to do it (well, not to do it, but to tighten up the sound more), which means you need an overdrive, not a distortion. There is a marked difference. The OD pedal will boost the signal, beefing up the tone even MORE than it already was. It'll have to be slightly loud (the amp), mind you, but if you don't like loud, you're in the wrong genre of music.

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 04:03 PM
In my experience small tube amps don't do metal well so he would be better off saving his money until he needs to buy his own amp, then he can get a better one for metal.

MustangSVT
12-08-2008, 04:04 PM
He could also go used and get a tube as well. Albeit a small used tube, but it would do better than the Cube IMO
The point is he said his Microcube cost him $425 implying that guitar amps are VERY expensive and overpriced in his home country or wherever it is he's buying from (i.e. a Cube60 costing silly prices like $700+).

He linked to that german website for the pedal and it was 215 euros which is like 275 bucks or something. The same website has a bunch of modelling amps in the same price range as the effects pedal, so clearly on his budget he COULD afford to get an amp at a reasonable price.

stratman_13
12-08-2008, 04:04 PM
In my experience small tube amps don't do metal well so he would be better off saving his money until he needs to buy his own amp, then he can get a better one for metal.
Eh, yeah, you got me. Smaller tube amps really don't do metal too well...

*hands a victory to thsrayas*

The point is he said his Microcube cost him $425 implying that guitar amps are VERY expensive and overpriced in his home country or wherever it is he's buying from (i.e. a Cube60 costing silly prices like $700+).

He linked to that german website for the pedal and it was 215 euros which is like 275 bucks or something. The same website has a bunch of modelling amps in the same price range as the effects pedal, so clearly on his budget he COULD afford to get an amp at a reasonable price.
Oh. I didn't even pick up on that...

My bad man. Friends? :cheers:

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Haha, thanks. :cheers:

Amarant
12-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Alright, what pedal do you suggest me then?

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 04:07 PM
If you're going to get a pedal get a cheap overdrive and save the rest of the money for an amp once you need one.

Blompcube
12-08-2008, 04:07 PM
distortion pedals aren't there to make your amp sound better, their whole purpose was initially to allow guitarists to have a distorted tone at any volume when there was nothing but non-master volume tube amps on the market. if the amp sounds bad, the pedal sounds bad through the amp, too.

stratman_13
12-08-2008, 04:09 PM
distortion pedals aren't there to make your amp sound better, their whole purpose was initially to allow guitarists to have a distorted tone at any volume when there was nothing but non-master volume tube amps on the market. if the amp sounds bad, the pedal sounds bad through the amp, too.
Ex-freaking-actly.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Okay, I don't understand anything anymore. What should I do, if i want to get METAL DISTORTION out of that Vintage Modern amp? What should I buy, if I want to get METAL DISTORTION on a gig?
I will have to buy something useful that gives me a metal distortion sound from Thomann tomorrow, because we're having a group order from there. Is the Twin Tube Mayhem really that useless?

al112987
12-08-2008, 04:14 PM
You don't need a pedal to get metal distortion out of that amp. It has two voicings a vintage voicing and a modern voicing. turn it to the modern voicing, put all the knobs on the amp except for the master volume at 12:00 (pointing straight up) and start from there.

People who play $2000 amps don't use metal distortion pedals. They payed $2000 for the amp so they can get metal distortion from the amp that sounds better than any pedal they could buy.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 04:15 PM
So you're telling me I don't need anything at all and adding the Mayhem would be a waste of money and waste of a good amp?

al112987
12-08-2008, 04:15 PM
In so many words. Yes.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 04:17 PM
And what amp should I buy to get a deep crunchy bottomy rhythm sound on gigs? It has to be 60W at least.

stratman_13
12-08-2008, 04:20 PM
IS it still the 250 budget?

Amarant
12-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Well yes, I have 200 euros, but I could sell my Micro Cube RX, but I don't think anyone wants it.

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 04:32 PM
You could try selling your Micro Cube on Ebay, that would be your best bet. As far as an amp goes just don't get one until you actually need one. If the gigs you play allow you to use their amps then just keep using theirs until you need to have your own, that way you will be able to buy a better amp.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 04:37 PM
I still need a pedal, if I get an amp live, that doesn't offer me a that good tone... What an uncomfortable situation... I guess I'll just buy something cheap now then.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_valve_king_head.htm -- I was told that this was worth the money. What do you think?

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 04:42 PM
SAVE. YOUR. MONEY. I don't know how difficult it is, if these gigs give you amps that do metal then you don't need to spend any money. If you DO end up needing to buy a distortion pedal or you need to get your own amp then get one, but you don't right now and if you spend your money now you won't get as good of an amp.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 04:47 PM
I need to produce metal on stage the next month, so I need something fast.

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Are they going to give you an amp at that gig?

Amarant
12-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Yes, but I can't be sure, if that's good enough. And I still don't believe, that it's possible to get real metal sound we're looking for out of that Vintage Modern Marshall amp :P.

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Yes, but I can't be sure, if that's good enough.

Then why don't you ask the venue and see what amps you will be given?

And I still don't believe, that it's possible to get real metal sound we're looking for out of that Vintage Modern Marshall amp :P.

If you're not even going to listen to the people giving you advice then why are you still here?

Amarant
12-08-2008, 05:01 PM
I will be testing, if that's true, on Saturday. I doubt it, because my band hasn't got anything good out of that amp for a few years already. It has the clean channel inside it only too.

311ZOSOVHJH
12-08-2008, 05:02 PM
can you post a clip of your band so we can help better?

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 05:02 PM
It sounds like nobody in your band has any idea what they're doing. Turn up the gain and see how it sounds.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 05:03 PM
The amp has the clean channel only. What does that tell you?
I don't know, if I dare to post our lives into public...

Amarant
12-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Anyway, here they are. Watch in high quality then :P.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUBkBX6_14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXgpqzQf0ms&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXgpqzQf0ms

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 05:07 PM
:facepalm: Single channel =/= only clean sound. Do you even know what a gain knob does?

Amarant
12-08-2008, 05:09 PM
I guess I don't then.

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 05:10 PM
In simple terms gain will get you distortion. Crank the gain up and turn the master volume up a bit.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 05:11 PM
So you're telling me, no matter what type of a Vintage Modern amp it is I can still get a deep crunchy metal distortion out of it? I was just told, it's a single channel amp with only clean. Clean = not distortion -- I know that.

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 05:12 PM
What do you mean "no matter what type of a Vintage Modern it is"? We're talking about the amp you posted. No, it's not only clean. What idiot told you it was only clean?

Amarant
12-08-2008, 05:13 PM
http://www.instrumentpro.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/mar2466.jpg -- I don't see a gain knob there :(.

Blompcube
12-08-2008, 05:14 PM
http://www.instrumentpro.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/mar2466.jpg -- I don't see a gain knob there :(.
gain = preamp volume, as stated beforehand, detail and body - turn them up.

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 05:14 PM
The Pre-Amp Volumes are the gain knobs.

nightraven
12-08-2008, 05:17 PM
So you're telling me, no matter what type of a Vintage Modern amp it is I can still get a deep crunchy metal distortion out of it? I was just told, it's a single channel amp with only clean. Clean = not distortion -- I know that.
your amp may not have any distortion or drive on it, but that doesn't mean you can't run a pedal into it to make distortion.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 05:18 PM
your amp may not have any distortion or drive on it, but that doesn't mean you can't run a pedal into it to make distortion.
What I've been trying to prove all the time...

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 05:21 PM
And we're trying to tell you that you apparently don't know what you're doing if you can't make a Vintage Modern sound good for metal. Turn up the gain, and make sure the Dynamic Range button is pushed down.

Amarant
12-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Anyway, I still need a pedal for lives that don't provide us with good enough amps and where there is no time for a sound check. We sometimes have to perform at school, where there is very weak gear.
Should it be an expensive Twin Tube Mayhem or a cheap Über Metal?

thsrayas
12-08-2008, 05:49 PM
If your school has crap gear you should get an amp not a pedal. Crap amp + metal pedal = crap metal tone.

MustangSVT
12-08-2008, 06:09 PM
How can you still be considering an expensive effects pedal when it has already been proven to you that a $99 modelling amp sounded the same to you?

The reason you don't have money for a good amp is because you're wasting on money on other crap you don't need.

If your school has crap gear you should get an amp not a pedal. Crap amp + metal pedal = crap metal tone.
Amarant, PLEASE read this over and over again until you understand it.

MESAexplorer
12-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Line 6 Flextone II (http://cgi.ebay.com/line-6-flextone-ll-hd-amp-amplifier-200-watts_W0QQitemZ360113808606QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360113808606&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A3|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A100 )

BUY THAT!

Forget a distortion pedal.

ilovemySG
12-08-2008, 06:25 PM
how many people does it take to convince you? this thread should have been over,,,, 11 pages ago.. i think atleast 15 people have told you to buy an amp.

if your going to be ignorant then stop wasting our time, go buy your stupid and pointless pedal, and continue playing in your "band"

thsrayas
12-09-2008, 01:13 AM
I don't know how you missed so many people telling you to get an amp, so I'm going to put all the people who told you to get an amp into this post. (I'm sorry if I missed your post, and I only included each person once so if you told him more than once like I did then only one post will be included no matter how hard you tried. Of course if I did include somebody more than once, then oh well, I CBA to go through this constantly checking for who posted.)

Well, if you don't have an amp I'd suggest saving up for one.

+1

Yeah I wouldn't buy any pedals until you get a bad ass amp.

instead of looking for a pedal for tone, why don't you look for a good metal amp. Most affordable would be Randall G3 series

If you're so set on not buying an amp (stupid idea IMO), at least save up for a good multieffects unit. But expect to never have a consistent tone from amp to amp, you're really shooting yourself in the foot here.

+2

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

But I'd have to agree with everyone else here.
You are never going to be taken seriously unless you have your own gear.
Hell, even if you just buy a head to take to live gigs it's better than expecting to leech off someone else all the time.

I know i said look at the TL-2, but these guys are right you need a solid amp.

Save up and buy an amp, pedals dont sound the same trough ever ****ing amp youll come across.

Just saying these guys are giving some solid advice.

There is so much wrong with this thread I don't even know where to start.

I have played a total of three gigs where the venue gave me an amp to use, and all three times they were the my school's music departments that they let me use for jazz recitals and whatnot. When I played gigs with my band, I ALWAYS had to use my own amp, most places have a PA, but not an actual guitar amplifier. I guess you could always try to run a pedal directly into the PA, but I can almost guarantee you that it will sound bad. Other than that, I've never seen places that give you amps to use.

Seriously, just save up your money and buy an amp. I've never heard of a gigging band that didn't have their own equipment. No, the house PA system does not count.

That being said, don't listen to your friends, if you have 200 euros to spend and they tell you to get a Digitech or Boss, they're idiots.

Dude, really? The Marshall you use for tryouts doesn't have "drive" because you aren't turning it up. It's a one channel amp. Get an OD pedal, turn the preamp volume up on the amp, put the OD's volume on 10, and then slowly raise the master volume on the Marshall.

EDIT: Only if it's what I'm thinking it is (JCM 800). I could be wrong

Boom. Marshall awesomeness.

And back on topic. Al basically wins. Dude, just get the amp. Wouldn't having an amp be so much better than carrying around a pedal? You wouldn't have to constantly tweak the pedal to match the situation. You could just plug in and play with a tone you like.

But if you don't want to listen, then I give up. Good luck, even though you're going in a very stupid direction.

From what I've read so far, this is what I understand.

#1 - your band uses pedals
#2 - you refuse shows that don't have amplifiers supplied to you
#3 - you sometimes spend money on renting gear
#4 - you have 200 euro's to spend on some crappy pedal even though you don't have gear
#5 - you tried out some pedal and you weren't too impressed by it, but your bandmates liked it, so you just do what they tell you? What kind of band is this exactly.

Considering al112987's trick on you, I don't think you have an idea at all of what tone you're after and you wouldn't be able to tell good tone from bad tone either.

Considering #3 and #4, if you wouldn't waste money on renting stuff and pedals, and could save up in a few months time enough money for a reasonable amp. I don't know what sort of gigs you play, but I figure it must be pretty small shows, so something like a 30W-60W SS amp would probably be enough. I know I could play some small shows with my crappy Peavey 40W SS if I wanted to. It wouldn't sound "great", but it wouldn't sound "bad" either if you're decent at the instrument.

Line 6 Flextone II (http://cgi.ebay.com/line-6-flextone-ll-hd-amp-amplifier-200-watts_W0QQitemZ360113808606QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360113808606&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A3|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A100 )

BUY THAT!

Every single one of these people told you at least once, most of them have told you MANY times, to get an amp. Why do you refuse to listen to us? Stop being stubborn and get a damn amp. Heck, you were even tricked into thinking that an amp was a pedal, the amp was cheaper then some of those pedals you're looking at, so why don't you just get the amp?

Kevin Saale
12-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Get an amp, if you don't want an amp then you're on the wrong forum since that's all we're gonna suggest you.

311ZOSOVHJH
12-09-2008, 01:18 AM
+311

Amarant
12-09-2008, 11:13 AM

BUY THAT!

Anyone else suggest that? Like I already said I need a sound with more lows and a normal amount of mids that has a certain powerful bang to it
Thanks!
Can I really get metal distortion out of that thing? Oh, and then I also need 60W speakers, which cost too much. What do others think?
But about the Vintage Modern... For the best distortion I need to connect an od pedal to it? Can't it really make the described metal sound by itself without a pedal then?
Thank you!

thsrayas
12-09-2008, 12:35 PM
The Flextone would be a good choice for you. The VM should be able to get a good metal tone. If it can't then I'm sure that you don't have any idea what you're doing. You need to learn how to use amps properly instead of just covering stuff up with pedals.

What do you need 60W speakers for?

Amarant
12-09-2008, 12:50 PM
To play lives of course. Isn't the amp he suggested me just a head without speakers?

thsrayas
12-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Yes it's just a head but the head is pretty cheap and you could find a decent cab for cheap as well.

311ZOSOVHJH
12-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Amarant - It comes in combo versions too.

For example:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=flextone&Search.x=9&Search.y=15

I guess Google doesn't work in your part of the world.

:rolleyes:

Amarant
12-09-2008, 12:59 PM
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Line+6/Flextone+II/10/1 -- it gets so many bad reviews. If I buy a head like that, will I get a footswitch with it? I need something to change from distortion to clean.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_valve_king_head.htm -- what do you think of this one? It was suggested to me by my band.