Child of Archeo's Composition Experiment

PDA

View Full Version : Child of Archeo's Composition Experiment

Freepower
12-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Hey guys, time for a nice little composition game.

I want you all to compose a short piece of music (at most about a minute, although this is a guideline, not a rule). Standard entry as an attached midi and Guitar Pro/Powertab file. :)

It doesn't have to be tonal, structured in any particular way, whatever. It'd be nicer if you can record your train of thought.

What I'd like is a piece about this -

http://www.chinaodysseytours.com/huangshan/photos/waterfall_7.jpg

I was recently reading a Steve Vai article about creating music that expressed what you felt "clouds" meant to you. Funnily enough, the instant I thought about waterfalls a piece sprang into mind. I have it finished but I'll submit when other submissions come in, as I don't want to be stepping into your musical headspace with my ideas. :)

xxdarrenxx
12-05-2008, 10:54 AM
can it be mp3? I suck at gp.

Freepower
12-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Of course, as long as something gets composed and submitted I don't really mind. :)

/-\liceNChains
12-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Cool idea freepower. I was jamming on youtube to cortez the killer and whoever posted the song took the time to put on all these pictures related to the story of the song. Its a song about Cortez coming from spain to south america and it had all these aztec pictures like acient artifacts and scenic views and a jaguar etc. They were going on a slide show. With this on my moniter and the speakers playing loud it really made me feel the song and it was really fun to play over.

This was basically the same idea that images can spark your emotion/thought patterns which can influence your playing. Ill try to record something later on and submit it.

Andy_Mclaughlan
12-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Great idea. That picture is such a cool picture in the sense that I immediately have ideas in my head for how a tune would sound looking at that. Never ever thought of using images as inspiration but there you go.
Andy

Retro Rocker
12-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Might aswell, got nothing better to do tonight.

gonzaw
12-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Good idea...

I'll try composing later..

michal23
12-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Kevin Moore did an album based off this sort of idea - he basically wrote the soundtrack to a 1950's children's book, or something similar. I might have a go later.

psychodelia
12-05-2008, 04:09 PM
How long do people have to submit?

I have a lot of stuff this weekend, but I'll probably throw out something by next week. :)

20Tigers
12-05-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm in. Though I don't know how to save a piece in Midi and always use my guitar when I'm writing. I'll see what I can do.

I too can already hear the entire piece by looking at the picture. Whether it comes out the way I hear it is a different story.

Freepower
12-05-2008, 04:46 PM
How long do people have to submit?

I have a lot of stuff this weekend, but I'll probably throw out something by next week. :)

Well, the brief only asks for around a minute and I'm gonna be on holiday next friday for a week, possibly not online, so it'd be cool if submissions could be in by next friday. :)

Thursdae
12-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Verrrrrry cool. I love reading Vai's columns on his website about inspiration and practice.. like playing one note over and over again and working on vibrato alone, just moving your finger all around getting different sounds, or like this just thinking of something un-musical and drawing inspiration from it. I'll definitely be doing this (once I can figure out why my mic has this terrible buzzing sound).

JakdOnCrack
12-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Can it be a composition using Finale or something like that? I'd upload it as an mp3

Freepower
12-05-2008, 06:49 PM
^ sure, don't worry about the format. As long as you can express yourself musically in some way I'll be happy, and if you can upload it here the rest of us will be too. :p:

victoryaloy
12-05-2008, 07:19 PM
does it have to be guitar?

xxdarrenxx
12-05-2008, 07:21 PM
does it have to be guitar?

nope

Do whatever u want, as long as it's musical idea and does not give eardamage :p:

victoryaloy
12-05-2008, 07:28 PM
nope

Do whatever u want, as long as it's musical idea and does not give eardamage :p:

lol alright.. i'll probably give it a try!!

gonzaw
12-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Kay, I finished it...

Hmm, I tried to make it kinda ambiental and smooth, but I don't know how to make ambiental music so this is as close as it can get (although I'm kind of happy with it)...

Hmm, also.....KOTO SOLO!!!!! :headbang:

EDIT:Added another part and made it repeat itself, you know, like some ambience music kind of thing...

xxdarrenxx
12-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Kay, I finished it...

Hmm, I tried to make it kinda ambiental and smooth, but I don't know how to make ambiental music so this is as close as it can get (although I'm kind of happy with it)...

Hmm, also.....KOTO SOLO!!!!! :headbang:

A cool stuff.

I think it would be cool if u double the koto solo from 21 - 28 with a flute. That would contrast better that it's a solo section, because the koto is also used before that. Was a cool thing, I liked what u did with shores and lil birds.

For me personally ur piece sounds:

" a guy walks up and start hiking along the river with thinking about stuff"

gonzaw
12-05-2008, 08:02 PM
A cool stuff.

I think it would be cool if u double the koto solo from 21 - 28 with a flute. That would contrast better that it's a solo section, because the koto is also used before that. Was a cool thing, I liked what u did with shores and lil birds.

For me personally ur piece sounds:

" a guy walks up and start hiking along the river with thinking about stuff"

But the river finishes in a waterfall ;)
See how everything is related? :p:

Yeah, tomorrow I will change some things and maybe expand the solo...

xxdarrenxx
12-05-2008, 08:05 PM

I see :cool:

Nevertheless it was nice and piecefull.

victoryaloy
12-05-2008, 08:52 PM

damn it.. i had a river and birds in mine too.
i knida went over board at the end and add a thunderstorm but thats just cuz i was bored..
actually thats as far as i got. :(

The4thHorsemen
12-05-2008, 09:43 PM
I might try it out, idk. It depends on whether or not I can come up with an idea to run with. If I do come up with something it'll be next week.

lbc_sublime
12-06-2008, 12:01 AM
well see but i will try to come up with something

metal4all
12-06-2008, 03:36 AM
I have nothing better to do at 2:30 in the morning. Cool idea :)

Freepower
12-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Dug it gonzaw, very chill. :)

xxdarrenxx
12-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Dug it gonzaw, very chill. :)

Join the fad and "paint" a santa on ur avatar :p:

Freepower
12-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Not a chance. Now Resi's gone nothing's messing with it ever again. :p:

JakdOnCrack
12-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Here's mine. I still want to canoodle around with it but this is the basic gist of it.

psychodelia
12-07-2008, 01:57 AM
(Sorry for not critiquing right away, I'll get around to it!)

It's kind of funny, the two main things I'd want to do for this are ideas that I've already executed, or that I'm working on already. I don't think I should submit those, though, since I think that's kind of cheating. :)

Also, I kind of like the one minute limit, since I think most people's first reaction is to do something ambient, and a rough limit of one minute (I think) forces you to consider some other options. (Don't get me wrong, I'd love some cool ambient stuff, but it'd be nice to hear something totally different too).

xxdarrenxx
12-07-2008, 04:54 AM
(Sorry for not critiquing right away, I'll get around to it!)

It's kind of funny, the two main things I'd want to do for this are ideas that I've already executed, or that I'm working on already. I don't think I should submit those, though, since I think that's kind of cheating. :)

Also, I kind of like the one minute limit, since I think most people's first reaction is to do something ambient, and a rough limit of one minute (I think) forces you to consider some other options. (Don't get me wrong, I'd love some cool ambient stuff, but it'd be nice to hear something totally different too).

I understand, although i'm taking it a bit different. But this is first idea and I like what FP did.

I had the idea that for the next one, we pick 3 pictures (preferably random), and split it up in 3 minutes, that way we can also make a longer composition, but still with the rough element of 1 minute a theme.

gary2damax
12-07-2008, 07:14 AM
Darn, the piece I wrote doesn't go with the picture as well as gonzaw's or JakdOnCrack's >< Does it matter if we go over 1 minute by like, 5 seconds? The only way to get about just 1 minute is if I change the last bar so it rings for 1/4 time. And that just sounds weird.

Anyway, here it is:

Waterfall.gp5 (http://www.mediafire.com/?ztcq5qz2xoh)
Waterfall.midi (http://www.mediafire.com/?j0woieydzdu)

xxdarrenxx
12-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Darn, the piece I wrote doesn't go with the picture as well as gonzaw's or JakdOnCrack's >< Does it matter if we go over 1 minute by like, 5 seconds? The only way to get about just 1 minute is if I change the last bar so it rings for 1/4 time. And that just sounds weird.

Anyway, here it is:

Waterfall.gp5 (http://www.mediafire.com/?ztcq5qz2xoh)
Waterfall.midi (http://www.mediafire.com/?j0woieydzdu)

Lol it's a rough guideline. Heck if u make a beautifull piece and it's 1.30 minutes, you won't hear me complain. The 1 minute guidelines is that not everyone submits songs of 4 minutes or longer, to keep everything flowing. And to save up ideas for future pictures :p:

gary2damax
12-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Oh, that's good then ^^ I'd go edit the ending to what I originally imagined, but I don't feel like it, and it's okay right now xD

gonzaw
12-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Mine is like about 4 minutes :(
But well, I made it repeat itself so it's more about 2 minutes instead...

Freepower
12-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Well, I suppose it's safe to upload mine now that the submissions are rolling in (great work on the promptness guys!) - I was basically trying to recreate the rolls and turbulence with polyrhythms, the "falling" water "falling" notes, and the overall chillness with some major pentatonic... :)

JakdOnCrack
12-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Anyone else going to join in on this?

Colohue
12-08-2008, 10:53 PM
This is my first time trying to compose on request and I haven't been using the program for long, but I thought I'd give it a try before the deadline, mainly to see if I could.

I'm quite happy with it, though I would imagine it's not too original.

JakdOnCrack
12-08-2008, 11:30 PM
This is my first time trying to compose on request and I haven't been using the program for long, but I thought I'd give it a try before the deadline, mainly to see if I could.

I'm quite happy with it, though I would imagine it's not too original.
Upload it as a MIDI too, i don't have GP

To FreePower: I liked yours, it had a nice effect with the falling notes.

Page&HammettFan
12-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Question; are you allowed to use effects (such as delay) to illustrate your ideas? I came up with a piece a long time ago that I used a certain delay setting on that kind of gave me that waterfall idea.

Also, listen to the song "Out of the Sunrise" off of Joe Satriani's latest release, "Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock." It is a great example of writing in this style. You can clearly picture a sunrise if you close your eyes and listen to those opening notes. He hits it right on the head.

Freepower
12-09-2008, 12:01 AM
^ course! :p: Don't worry about anything (even time limit) - just present us a piece of music that expresses how you feel about a waterfall. :)

Page&HammettFan
12-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Can't do it tonight, but I'll definitely try and get something in. Any chance of this becoming a regular thing?

Freepower
12-09-2008, 12:12 AM
^ no chance of it not becoming a regular thing. :p:

I actually came up with some of my best compositions aaaages ago working on music for art by a friend of mine. Well, it was my best composition then.

This kind of thread is simultaneously a "composition critique" thread and an open chillout and exchange of ideas thread. It also makes people explore their musical horizons. What more can you ask for in terms of an MT thread?

Btw, nice little piece colorhue. :) If that was your first time composing on request you're going to go far with it. :)

Helpy Helperton
12-09-2008, 06:46 AM
Also, listen to the song "Out of the Sunrise" off of Joe Satriani's latest release, "Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock." It is a great example of writing in this style. You can clearly picture a sunrise if you close your eyes and listen to those opening notes. He hits it right on the head.

Satch is brilliant at naming his songs, most of them give that feel of what they are about.

I'll have a go tonight and see if I can think of something, i'll try and have a good think and make something i usually would make.

Archeo Avis
12-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Working on a short piece as we speak. I've come up with a concept good enough that I'm thinking of expanding it into a greater work.

Freepower
12-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Bitchin'. :)

Archeo Avis
12-09-2008, 07:33 AM
I've finally found an excuse to get my counterpoint on. Lydian style.

Freepower
12-09-2008, 07:51 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/freepower/bitchesandmylydian.jpg

xxdarrenxx
12-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Okay, first I had something ambient; but I decided that was done so much, and although it sounds good, it isn't fun for me :p:

So I tried like a classically style played thingy. (I think it's counterpoint i don't know)

Instead of visioning the waterfall, I visioned how I would be inspired if I was at a real waterfall playing guitar.

I really wish I had a classical guitar and that I could play better, but I'm not so very good at fingerstyle.

http://www.box.net/shared/aiyoj4x85b

Freepower
12-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Absolutely gorgeous, that's my personal favourite entry so far. Great approach (you at the waterfall, cool way to look at it...) and great execution.

gary2damax
12-09-2008, 08:17 AM
That one sounded really good :)

Are we allowed to change our entry once it's submitted? I'm not really happy with mine now xD

Freepower
12-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Sure, composition experiment not composition competition. :p:

gary2damax
12-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Okay then :)

I'll edit this post with the new one when I come back

I think this is much better, as I'm pretty sure water in the background fits better then a low piano and tubular bells bit xD And converting it to a mp3 made it sound a touch better, so I'll upload that too xD

Guitar Pro 5.2 (http://www.mediafire.com/?agteoc24dqz)
MIDI (http://www.mediafire.com/?5zmzmj4dmzz)
MP3 (http://www.mediafire.com/?ytjimgnznzz)

Colohue
12-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Upload it as a MIDI too, i don't have GP

Okay, the Midi file is in there at the bottom of this post.

Thanks Freepower. It's just the sort of thing I play when my girlfriend gets stressed out by uni so it came quite easily really.

Archeo Avis
12-09-2008, 12:12 PM
I scrapped the lydian concept.
I started out by trying to invoke a tropical atmosphere, but quickly got bored and went other (more insane) places. It starts out with an upbeat major theme, and then descends into pure compositional wankery (I included a guitarist "inside joke" of sorts. Cookie to whoever catches it)

Both MIDI and PT are included.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/freepower/bitchesandmylydian.jpg

I have to make a shirt that says that.

JamesDouglas
12-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Here's mine. I think I tried to pack too much into too short a space, so it's very messy but I think it has a little bit of potential in there somewhere - I also made it in about 2 minutes :p:

duncang
12-09-2008, 03:39 PM
UG doesn't want to let me attach my 4KB .zip because apparently the file is too large and the maximum is 2MB :confused:

Anyway, it's here. (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8e6221b534da7172d2db6fb9a8902bda)

JakdOnCrack
12-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Archeo's had a bit too much wankery in it for it to be waterfall-ish IMO. I lol'd at 32/2. Solid piece though.

Colohue and JamesDouglas' were good as well.

Jared R. Boyd
12-09-2008, 07:10 PM
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Jared+R.+Boyd/music/all/play483902

Title-Waterfall

here is my go at it.

made in Reason 4.0

spent about an hour on it. in order to get it to respond correctly the release of the water doesn't end for another min. or so after the song ends. I kinda like it that way though.

GuitarMunky
12-13-2008, 03:04 PM
I just did a composition for this ........ posted in my profile. The title is Up the Waterfall.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/GuitarMunky/

Freepower
12-16-2008, 12:56 PM
GuitarMunky, that piece was fantastic. :golfclap: Made me wish I hadn't stuck the limit at a minute. :(

Jared, how come I don't know you? That piece was fantastic as well. Darker than the other entries and obviously less guitar-led thinking. Liked.

Duncang, nice work as well. Reminds me of the beach scenes from Streets of Rage. :p: Liked the repeating figure, the rhythmic displacement was a clever touch. Nice fade out too. :)

J Douglas, I liked your ideas, but I thought the phrasing and execution was greatly hampered by the midi's lack of sense of rubato and dynamics, although I don't see any way around that. :(

Archeo, once again, the midi doesn't do the material justice. I liked the hit sections and dissonant lead. Totally moar than a minute long. :eek:

I'll get onto creating a new thread sometime soon. :)