Hardcore Progressions.

PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore Progressions.

FFTLxx
12-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Hey, I don't usally post here so I might be in the wrong spot, but here I go.
If im in the wrong spot i'll delete the thread or something..

I'm having difficulty writing hardcore chord progressions, I know a decent amount of theory so I'll understand complicated answers, I've tried the 1 4 5 progression and it doesn't fit, I've gathered that hardcore bands blend powerchords and plain octave chords, I wanna know how they do that, specifically Pro Team.
Note: I love BTBAM but my band members can't play anything like that, so I powerchord prog ideas.

Righteous Heart
12-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Your username and that you included Pro Team confuse me.

Anyways, I think you're better off asking the guitar section of the board.
I don't think there are a lot of active hardcore guitar players here, who knows I could be wrong.

zayG
12-06-2008, 01:43 AM
pick 3 chords and play them really fast

pretty sure that has always been one of the best ways to play hardcore and rarely fails

lordofthefood1
12-06-2008, 03:38 AM
make up chords
use advanced powerchords (instead of just 5ths)

hardrock1315
12-06-2008, 01:38 PM
I've always had a soft spot for this one:

i - VI - iv - i

Internal Chaos
12-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Listen to hardcore more, and figure it out. Look at the tabs. Play whatever you want.

STABxYOU
12-09-2008, 12:50 PM
7 This is a chord. 5 This is another one. 8 This is another. Go start a band.
7------------------------5-------------------------------8
5------------------------3-------------------------------6

heaven's gate
12-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Fail. Those aren't chords. Those only contain a root, a fifth, and an octave and therefore aren't chords.

saxaxe
12-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Fail. Those aren't chords. Those only contain a root, a fifth, and an octave and therefore aren't chords.
*facepalm*

They're chords, they just aren't triads. A chord is two or more notes played simultaneously.

STABxYOU
12-09-2008, 03:35 PM

I'm aware they're not triads. Get a sense of humour. :rolleyes:

HoldFastHope
12-09-2008, 06:04 PM
*facepalm*

They're chords, they just aren't triads. A chord is two or more notes played simultaneously.

No. A chord is three or more notes played simultaneously, and a three-note chord is called a triad. Two notes is an interval, not a chord.

heaven's gate
12-09-2008, 06:27 PM
*facepalm*

*facepalm*

Read up there^.

:facepalm:

EDIT:

I'm aware they're not triads. Get a sense of humour. :rolleyes:
Okay, fair enough. Sorry.

saxaxe
12-09-2008, 07:32 PM
According to the Virginia Tech music dictionary, Chord is defined as:
The sounding of two or more notes (usually at least three) simultaneously. The two most common chords are the major and minor chords. A major chord is composed of a major third above the tonic note, and a perfect fifth above the tonic, a minor chord is composed of a minor third and a perfect fifth.

The Spoon
12-09-2008, 08:12 PM
How do you all know music theory? I thought this was the hardcore forum?

:p:

heaven's gate
12-09-2008, 08:23 PM
According to the Virginia Tech music dictionary, Chord is defined as:
The sounding of two or more notes (usually at least three) simultaneously. The two most common chords are the major and minor chords. A major chord is composed of a major third above the tonic note, and a perfect fifth above the tonic, a minor chord is composed of a minor third and a perfect fifth.
A chord needs a note to give it its quality and value. You can't do that with only two notes. A triad needs a third to define it as major or minor (or augmented/diminished). Yes, you can have major/minor/aug/dim intervals (two notes) but that's all they are, intervals.

Power chords aren't chords because they consist of a root, fifth and octave, there is no note in them to determine their quality. Tritones ("Devil's Chord") aren't chords because they only consist of the root, aug 5th, and octave. Et cetera.

V Tech is wrong, sorry.

Starstorm
12-09-2008, 09:19 PM

Zing!

heaven's gate
12-09-2008, 09:23 PM

Ten years of private music lessons, that's how! :p:

saxaxe
12-10-2008, 01:47 AM
The Harvard Concise Dictionary of Music and Musicians defines a chord as "Two or more pitches sounded simultaneously or functioning as if sounded simultaneously"
I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but c'mon, I'm giving you sources. Credible ones at that.

zayG
12-10-2008, 08:57 AM
theory nerds need to get out of here

once again

pick multiple random chords that sound good, play them fast

you got hardcore

Me2NiK
12-10-2008, 10:11 AM
*facepalm*

I'm sick of this misconception.

Single note = pitch
Two notes = harmonically sounded interval
Three or more notes = harmonically sounded chord

Hardcore uses a lot of b2. It's more modal in the sense that there's generally less of a progression and more of a single chord that's comped on, so to speak, for a long duration.

EDIT: Powerchords are chords because they have an octave voicing.

A lot of the arguments in this thread are more blatantly inaccurate. Chords do not need thirds, nor do they need any kind of definition. Quatral chords don't have a third, suspended chords don't have a third. Chords only need a root -- there are chords without fifths, too (again, quatral chords,or a dominant over the altered).

Internal Chaos
12-10-2008, 03:32 PM
A chord with two notes is a doublestop, not a chord. All powerchords are doublestops, with the octave included, as its the same note.

heaven's gate
12-10-2008, 05:43 PM
EDIT: Powerchords are chords because they have an octave voicing.
Wrong. The octave is the same note as the root.
A lot of the arguments in this thread are more blatantly inaccurate. Chords do not need thirds, nor do they need any kind of definition. Quatral chords don't have a third, suspended chords don't have a third. Chords only need a root -- there are chords without fifths, too (again, quatral chords,or a dominant over the altered).
Nobody said a chord needs a third. We were using the triad as an example, as they are one of the most basic chords.

IlikeTheSKA
12-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Damn, I came here looking for some cool hardcore progressions, not a bunch of theory babble.

saxaxe
12-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Yea. I seem to have started it. My mistake.

musicTHEORYnerd
12-10-2008, 11:38 PM

To everyone arguing with this guy, you DO realize that he was quoting the movie "Rock And Roll High School", the movie about the ramones.....RIGHT?
ITS A JOKE.
AND this thread is about hardcore chord progressions.
so why doesnt everyone just stop arguing and help the TS out?

Internal Chaos
12-11-2008, 01:45 AM
The person you quoted did.

Manos15
12-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Your username and that you included Pro Team confuse me.

Anyways, I think you're better off asking the guitar section of the board.
I don't think there are a lot of active hardcore guitar players here, who knows I could be wrong.
We've already gotten the best answer. We can close the thread now.