Help!

PDA

View Full Version : Help!

jpc2049
12-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Hey everyone. I am new to this forum but I am in need of some help. I can't figure out why my 4d string is dead and rattles on the 1st and second fret but sharp and crisp everywhere else. I put a new string on it, messed around with height on bridge and nothing. It is a electric guitar that is only about 2 months old. Its a silvertone ( I know) but couldn't see spending the money on the Ibanez I want until I got half way decent at playing. Any ways please help, any suggestions welcome.

aaciseric
12-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Electric Guitar Forum Kiddo.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26

nightraven
12-06-2008, 11:37 AM
when you say you've messed around with the height on the bridge, do you mean the saddle of the string? if not, i suggest you get out your allen wrench and mess with the action.

jpc2049
12-06-2008, 12:07 PM
yeah I did that, the saddle nothing seemed to help.

jpc2049
12-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Just added some dean markley regulars and raised the height of the strings to pretty much max. I don't like the action that high but it's about 50% better. It's weird because the strings now are high near the bridge but not so much by the neck. This makes it like playing an acoustic moving up the fret board.

nightraven
12-06-2008, 03:12 PM
seems like your neck isn't flat and properly secured in the pocket, can you see any gaps between the neck and the pocket it's sitting in?
alternatively your neck could be warped.

jpc2049
12-06-2008, 03:32 PM
seems like your neck isn't flat and properly secured in the pocket, can you see any gaps between the neck and the pocket it's sitting in?
alternatively your neck could be warped.

Thats what i was fearing.

jpc2049
12-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Its part of the fret board. so I guess the guitar is actually two pieces. However I have heard good things about the wizard II necks. But not sure of the price plus the guitar isn't really worth putting alot of work into.

oneblackened
12-06-2008, 03:40 PM
check your relief.

Bryan Connolly
12-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Its a silvertone ( I know) but couldn't see spending the money on the Ibanez I want until I got half way decent at playing.

Bah! If you're going to get a cheap guitar at least shop around for one that isn't going to discourage you from playing. Spending more money on a guitar may seem ridiculous if you have the "Oh I'm not worthy" attitude but I would highly recommend getting a guitar you're proud to play and that inspires you. Cheap or otherwise.

If this seems a little angry, don't mind me, I'm just very against new players sabotaging themselves. :)

-Bryan