Metal Bass Drum Sound?

PDA

View Full Version : Metal Bass Drum Sound?

cukd7x-a2-
12-09-2008, 02:31 AM
I was hoping you guys here on the pit could help me out, and if there is already a thread here that can help me I will gladly delete this one, so just let me know please. edit: or a place that could give me better help! :D

What I'm trying to figure out is how metal drummers get that clicking sound when they hit the bass drum. Does anyone know how they do it? Looking around on google, I've found nothing.

Help Please!!

theseedyoldguy
12-09-2008, 02:34 AM
put pillows or sumthin in the drum
thats all i can think of

BrianApocalypse
12-09-2008, 02:37 AM
When recording it, you'd tweak the high end 'till the click emerged. Not sure where it lies in the freq. spectrum.

cukd7x-a2-
12-09-2008, 02:38 AM
When recording it, you'd tweak the high end 'till the click emerged. Not sure where it lies in the freq. spectrum.
i guess ive never really ACTUALLY tried it
ive put a coin on the head and the mallet and tried that, it just isnt working as well as i thought it would

Turd_Ferguson
Metal bass drumming is very clicky and punchy. For this, stuff the bass drum (to deaden the sound) with a blanket or pillows. Get a kevlar patch (like 6 bucks at GC) to stick on the bass drum head where the beater hits, and get a plastic beater (without a felt head).

SteveHouse
I was hoping you guys here on the pit could help me out, and if there is already a thread here that can help me I will gladly delete this one, so just let me know please. edit: or a place that could give me better help! :D

What I'm trying to figure out is how metal drummers get that clicking sound when they hit the bass drum. Does anyone know how they do it? Looking around on google, I've found nothing.

Help Please!!
Metal Forum. Recording forum.

CoreysMonster
it's all in the recording and mastering process.
you could always trigger your drums.

which ones pink
Most extreme metal drummers use triggers for double bass. For a home kit though, just tune the drum super tight and fill it to at least halfway with some kind of padding.

cukd7x-a2-
12-09-2008, 02:40 AM
Metal bass drumming is very clicky and punchy. For this, stuff the bass drum (to deaden the sound) with a blanket or pillows. Get a kevlar patch (like 6 bucks at GC) to stick on the bass drum head where the beater hits, and get a plastic beater (without a felt head).
the problem is, after a while it cuts through the head, and I dont want that happening

cukd7x-a2-
12-09-2008, 02:41 AM
Metal Forum. Recording forum.
i considered metal forum, but thats more for music i thought, and i completely forgot about recording :facepalm:
but ive pretty much gotten the help i need

Demonikk
12-09-2008, 02:42 AM
the problem is, after a while it cuts through the head, and I dont want that happening
Hence the kevlar patch, they make bulletproof vests out of that stuff, I'm sure it can take a bass drum beater

htsktim91989
12-09-2008, 02:53 AM
there is such a thing called a click pad, the dummer for my old band used to have one, but the only place ive ever seen one at is penn ave music is PA...

edit:

http://jacksmusicstore.com/catalog/percussion/drum-hardware/bass-drum-parts/pcs-hdw-bdp-p~sc-gcp

SaxMachine124
12-09-2008, 03:04 AM
It's all in the equalization: turn up the treble on the bass drum, but not the range where you get ringing from it.

DespisedIcon
12-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Get a trigger.

bawjaws
12-09-2008, 08:51 AM
its all about the EQ..treble high mids.

but it sounds crap just get a moderately tight skin with a small amount of damping and a non wooly beater.

Crane965
12-09-2008, 08:52 AM
tighten the heads a lot and put a pillow or two in it, works great for me

emery01
12-09-2008, 09:14 AM
It's called a trigger.

It's a pad that you put on the batter side of the bass drum, everytime you hit the bass drum it makes the fat boom sound of the drum and the click sound.

It's more like a touch sensitive pad than a pad.

nebiru
12-09-2008, 09:53 AM
As mentioned... it's all triggers. Not pillows are any of the other stupid ****.

Drummers who trigger are cheaters, it also sounds horrible.

Daisy_Ramirez_
12-09-2008, 09:59 AM
As mentioned... it's all triggers. Not pillows are any of the other stupid ****.

Drummers who trigger are cheaters, it also sounds horrible.
Wrong.

Triggers require you to be better, in order to use them well.
They pick up the most subtle timing errors. You have to me more accurate.

Ask any professional drummer who has used them. Assuming the drummer isn't so good as to already rule @ triggers. :p:

nebiru
12-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Bull****.

Extreme metal drummers in particular use triggers because it enables them to play faster because they don't have to kick as hard.

Simsimius
12-09-2008, 10:21 AM
What is a trigger?

heavenishell
12-09-2008, 10:27 AM
some drummers also tape coins to the skin where there beater hits in order to create the 'click'
just gaffa tape a coin onto it,
should work

Kid_Thorazine
12-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Wrong.

Triggers require you to be better, in order to use them well.
They pick up the most subtle timing errors. You have to me more accurate.

Ask any professional drummer who has used them. Assuming the drummer isn't so good as to already rule @ triggers. :p:

no they don't. you can quantize the timing errors out fairly easily, even live. I use triggers all the time and I'm not even a drummer.

What is a trigger?

it's a pad that sends midi data to a sampler every time the drum is hit, usually triggering a sample.

subliminaldelta
12-09-2008, 11:05 AM
To get a "clicky" sound, try the following:

1. Tune your drum heads low. This should be the first step you take.

2. If you have beaters with felt heads, either reverse them or get fully plastic beaters.

3. Put a pillow in between your bass drum heads (nothing else. One pillow should work)

4. By now you should have a decent sound. However, you can tape a coin to the impact point on your bass drum (where the beater strikes the head) to improve the sound. Just dont tape over the coin, but around the edges.

5. If that doesn't work, try the following EQ settings:

-Scoop out 25Hhz to 2kHz
-Put 50Hz at around 0db or slightly higher
-Slightly boost 4k to 16k

This should give you a great click sound. Or just use triggers.

0RI0N
12-09-2008, 11:09 AM
You can also tape quarters to your kickers.

9volt
12-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Why would you want that sound? I get tired of hearing that god-damned click sound.

Just get some nice heads, a nice patch where the impact point is, stuff it nicely and let that natural bass drum sound shine.

fret_racer82
12-09-2008, 11:25 AM

remo makes something called a falam slam. is like a patch that protects the batter. i use. it works fairly well

subliminaldelta
12-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Why would you want that sound? I get tired of hearing that god-damned click sound.

Just get some nice heads, a nice patch where the impact point is, stuff it nicely and let that natural bass drum sound shine.

Way to ignore the thread.

eazy-c
12-09-2008, 11:36 AM
No one has said anything about mic placement?

Put the mic close to the skin and get yourself a nice parametric EQ.

Problem solved.

samtberg
12-09-2008, 11:47 AM
there is such a thing called a click pad, the dummer for my old band used to have one, but the only place ive ever seen one at is penn ave music is PA...

This is correct.

Here's one for double bass drums: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibraltar-Double-Bass-Drum-Impact-Pad-102078961-i1139020.gc

spider449
03-28-2009, 05:10 AM
I use these things called kick pads by danmar that come in plastic or metal. metal is more expensive but it sounds good if you use a felt beater on it. it also slightly improves the rebound of the pedal.

SlipknotRule93
03-28-2009, 05:19 AM
you mean like vinnie paul?

i'd try tightening up the skin or whatever it's called.

i don't know much about durms

boreamor
03-28-2009, 05:25 AM
It's a Kevlar patch for at home. My mate uses one and his metal drumming sounds amazing with it. It's so much easier to get the metal bass drum sound in the EQing if you have a Kevlar patch.

(Yeah, I know this from experience)

Portuguese_boy
03-28-2009, 05:34 AM
Replace your drumset with a drum machine and stick to guitar...

ok I'll leave..