just started listing to a new genre of music

PDA

View Full Version : just started listing to a new genre of music

punk_metal2007
12-13-2008, 04:46 AM
ASSUMING im in the right forum, well I was running in the same circles on my guitar and wasnt feeling inspired so I decided to try giving other music a try and ive been listening to bands like bullet for my valentine, shadows fall, atreyu, underoath and such. what im getting at is whats some good songs to start out playing in this genre and in either standard or drop D due to my strings flopping when I downtune to low I cant go much lower than that. and I was playing things like black sabbath, iron maiden, santana, a7x, and a lil kid rock so bear that in mind.
well thanks in advance and sorry for all the bad spelling, grammar, punctuation and such. =D

ChordMonger
12-13-2008, 05:02 AM
want to feel inspired?
check these out:
Maps & Atlases
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=3182400
This Town Needs Guns
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=4986380
Owls
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=5493800

~b

punk_metal2007
12-13-2008, 05:06 AM
he for the lack of a good computer it takes nearly 20 mins for a song to load up =P im nonetheless wanting a good song to start out with that incorporates the styles of the metal/metalcore whichever you prefere =P

Jdius Racius
06-22-2009, 03:50 AM
If you really wanna develop your chops, you could try learning some As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, or some All That Remains stuff, although i think they play in Drop C... but I play their stuff in Drop D all the time, it really only matters if you play along with it.

hehe, all "A" bands, i just noticed.

shai_savant
06-22-2009, 04:03 AM
As for hardcore stay in standard and check out this band called Minor Threat.

As for GOOD metal listen to Death, and study the art that is Chuck Shuildners(sp?) riffs.

Redsox4ever5955
06-22-2009, 07:43 AM
look at some "the devil wears prada" stuff. most of its in drop d

kryptonite22
06-22-2009, 07:46 AM
props for trying something new. but as im sure you will in time discover, there are better bands out there. check the rec thread at the top of the page for suggestions.

also re: your strings, get some thicker strings, as the strings you use to play tunes in standard will not do for downtuning.

atomic_llama
06-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Means
Misery Signals
Saints never surrender
The Chariot
Poison the Well

Might be drop c but you can easily play their stuff in drop d.

also, get thicker strings so they retain tension when tuned low :)

12shinn21
06-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Why would anyone bump a random question thread from december last year?

Haymaker17
06-22-2009, 07:46 PM
look at some "the devil wears prada" stuff. most of its in drop d

not this.

JxD
06-22-2009, 08:00 PM
How was this not locked to begin with?

handbanana
06-22-2009, 08:17 PM
play atreyu songs, if you wanna play some stuff in drop d every time i die is pretty easy to learn and i'd say its not too far off of what you might listen to. also a day to remember's song are extremely easy to learn look them up

andyscoot
06-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Lamb Of God/Trivium (on ascendancy) are apparently metalcore, and their stuff is in Drop D, and it can get pretty technical too, so its good to have a chalenge.

Looking through all bands labeled as Metalcore that i have, they all seem to be Drop C but just invest in some thicker gague strings and you wont get as much flap.

JxD
06-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Lamb Of God/Trivium (on ascendancy) are apparently metalcore,
No, bad! Nu-metalcore

andyscoot
06-22-2009, 09:04 PM
No, bad! Nu-metalcore

i class them as metal, but apparently were supposed to call them metalcore. Still wouldnt 'Nu-metalcore' still be metalcore? :p:

JxD
06-22-2009, 09:18 PM
i class them as metal, but apparently were supposed to call them metalcore. Still wouldnt 'Nu-metalcore' still be metalcore? :p:
Nu-metalcore is to metalcore what nu-metal is to metal. There are similarities, but the music is still vastly different.

brad5992
06-22-2009, 09:26 PM
To me Trivium and Lamb of God sound nothing to what i think metalcore actually is. Whenever in conversation with someone i just refer to them as metal. Also JxD i like term nu-metalcore to describe bands like TDWP etc. Im gonna start to use it.

LordWorm420
06-22-2009, 09:55 PM
learn some old Black Dahlia Murder.

that'll get you improving

Internal Chaos
06-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Shai Hulud, do it now. Very good.

defenderobanana
06-23-2009, 12:04 AM
August Burns Red! Not in dropped D but still...

JxD
06-23-2009, 12:23 AM
To me Trivium and Lamb of God sound nothing to what i think metalcore actually is. Whenever in conversation with someone i just refer to them as metal. Also JxD i like term nu-metalcore to describe bands like TDWP etc. Im gonna start to use it.
Thankyou! It's not meant to be an insult or anything, it's merely meant to differentiate between metalcore and this new wave of "metalcore."

andyscoot
06-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Thankyou! It's not meant to be an insult or anything, it's merely meant to differentiate between metalcore and this new wave of "metalcore."

lamb of god have been around since 1990 ;)

id hardly call that new

Nu-metalcore is to metalcore what nu-metal is to metal. There are similarities, but the music is still vastly different.

So nu-metalcore fuses hip hop with metalcore?

No course not.

JxD
06-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Lamb of God are a metal band and therefore completely irrelevant in this discussion. Also, I was using the comparison of nu-metal to metal to contrast the difference between metalcore and nu-metalcore.

handbanana
06-23-2009, 02:03 PM
i think its funny how people somehow translate thrash metal into hardcore
blows my mind

So nu-metalcore fuses hip hop with metalcore?

No course not.

and nu-metalcore is by no means defined as hip hop fused with metal, thats like 4 or 5 bands in the genre. would you call system of a down and disturbed hip- hop? mushroom head? deftones? korn?

andyscoot
06-23-2009, 02:18 PM
i think its funny how people somehow translate thrash metal into hardcore
blows my mind

Well since thrash started as an offshoot of hardcore punk, its closer to hardcore than jazz is.

Also, i hope your not calling Lamb Of God thrash.

and nu-metalcore is by no means defined as hip hop fused with metal, thats like 4 or 5 bands in the genre. would you call system of a down and disturbed hip- hop? mushroom head? deftones? korn?

Im using his logic against him. "Nu metalcore is to metalcore what nu metal is to metal."

Plus i clearly explained i consider Lamb Of God to be metal, but by metalheads, for some reason, they are considered metalcore.

Makes sense now?

JxD
06-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Im using his logic against him. "Nu metalcore is to metalcore what nu metal is to metal."
This is a ridiculous statement, you just took what I said out of context.

handbanana
06-23-2009, 04:00 PM
i like how iv never seen andy post in this forum til like yestrday and he acts liek he owns the place, funny how he's getting PWNed in multiple threads. JxD rules. And it funny how you completely dont understand at all what jxd is explaining.

Real Metalcore = BTBAM, Botch, Converge, etc.

Nu-Metalcore=Bring Me The Horizon, The Devil Wears Prada, Emmure, etc.

andyscoot
06-23-2009, 04:06 PM
This is a ridiculous statement, you just took what I said out of context.

You called trivium and lamb of god nu metalcore, correct?

You also said 'nu metalcore is to metalcore what nu metal is to metal'

Nu metal is the fusion of things like hip hop to metal, so by that, nu metalcore is the addition of things like hip hop to metalcore. Im not taking it out of context, im taking what you said.

Also i dont act like i own the place, i post, which is what a forum is meant to do. Im sorry i havent been around quite as long as you, but just remember, you have to start somewhere :rolleyes:

I've actually been making a point of not being negative to your posts since we had the little argument, and you're still carrying it on.

EDIT: And it still dosent change the fact that i was just trying to help someone who wanted bands in drop D. I dont see how naming bands who are regarded as metalcore (they even both have threads in this section, though i distinctly said i consider them to be metal) in a 'recomend me some metalcore' thread turned into this.

Internal Chaos
06-23-2009, 05:13 PM
If Lamb of God have been around for 19 years, why do they only have a few albums?

andyscoot
06-23-2009, 05:17 PM
If Lamb of God have been around for 19 years, why do they only have a few albums?

They have 5, thats more than a few, its also more than a lot of bands have released since 1999

They started in 1990 but didnt get their break until 1998 when they recorded Burn The Priest, released in 1999. Still quite old for a "metalcore" band. When the experts (JxC/Handbanana) claim that proper metalcore is converge etc started around the same time as LoG.

handbanana
06-23-2009, 05:19 PM
andy your just not listening dude

he is saying nu in the fact that its a subgenre of what most would consider a better genre and people can do without. not the style of music.

handbanana
06-23-2009, 05:20 PM
not exactly how i wanted to word it but i didnt know how else to^

Internal Chaos
06-23-2009, 05:23 PM
So what, they did nothing for 8 years? They didn't bother writing until they knew they'd get money for it?

They are part of the new wave. Why? Because they're part of that scene, came out with all of those generic bands and, whilst admitedly sounding different, contain many of the stereotypical core elements that nu-metalcore has taken.

I dunno if this slight section of text will drill through your diamond skull, but here goes. METAL began in the 70's, opposing punk and developed alongside hardcore. In the early 1990's, the scene became stale in the mainstream for metal, getting replaced by the underground areas of death and black metal. Kids wanted something else, so bands like Slipknot and Korn came out and they were the NU-METAL wave.

In METALCORE, bands like Integrity, Shai Hulud and Converge were getting more popular. But in the early 2000's melodic death metal bands started becoming popular, more notably, At The Gates. Kids fused this style of death metal with metalcore, and created the NU-METALCORE wave.

Got it?

Tallman
06-23-2009, 05:25 PM
andy your just not listening dude

he is saying nu in the fact that its a subgenre of what most would consider a better genre and people can do without. not the style of music.

Genre and style are interchangeable terms.

andyscoot
06-23-2009, 05:32 PM
So what, they did nothing for 8 years? They didn't bother writing until they knew they'd get money for it?

Or they just didnt get signed until 8 years on....

They are part of the new wave. Why? Because they're part of that scene, came out with all of those generic bands and, whilst admitedly sounding different, contain many of the stereotypical core elements that nu-metalcore has taken.

I dunno if this slight section of text will drill through your diamond skull, but here goes. METAL began in the 70's, opposing punk and developed alongside hardcore. In the early 1990's, the scene became stale in the mainstream for metal, getting replaced by the underground areas of death and black metal. Kids wanted something else, so bands like Slipknot and Korn came out and they were the NU-METAL wave.

In METALCORE, bands like Integrity, Shai Hulud and Converge were getting more popular. But in the early 2000's melodic death metal bands started becoming popular, more notably, At The Gates. Kids fused this style of death metal with metalcore, and created the NU-METALCORE wave.

Got it?

And what im saying is i accept theyre not metalcore. I think i may have said the sentence 'i consider them to be metal' about 5 times on this page alone. I know what ****ing metal is, im what you might call a regular in the metal forum. Im the new guy in this place though. All i am saying is that lamb of god are CONSIDERED metalcore, as in, they have a thread in the hardcore section, and whatnot. And he asked for metalcore bands in drop d, and to my (limited) knowlege of this genre, i could only think of trivium and lamb of god who play in drop d, and both have threads in the hardcore section, so i thought it would be apropriate section.

But no, you lot are all knowing in this section so you have to explain why what im saying is wrong. When in actual fact, "nu-metalcore" is as much metalcore as your early metalcore bands. Just like folk metal is still metal, just because they took folk music and combined it with metal dosent mean its not metal anymore.

Those are my main 2 points, but i guess i know nothing because ive only started posting here for a few days. If youre going to pull that one. I guess i know more about guitar because ive been here for 3 years longer than handbanana :rolleyes:

handbanana
06-23-2009, 10:02 PM
now this is just getting dumb.

In other news, andyscoot sent me a message tonight. Everyone please read and refelect.

i know we dont get along at all on these forums, and part of that is my fault. I dislike hating on bands i like as much as you would hate me hating on bands you like, and thats why i called you out. But really, i dont want this conflict to carry on, so im apologising for my part in this conflict. I realise youve been here longer than i have, but that dosent mean i cant voice my opinion, or that i should be spoken down to because im new to this particular part of the forum. If you dont want to be friendly, thats fine, but from now on, i think we should either ignore each others posts, or be nice. Its ruining other threads through elitism from both of us.

Your thoughts?

likeomgtehtuck!
06-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Never Back Down

Squifey
06-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Never Back Down
I have yet to see this movie.

likeomgtehtuck!
06-24-2009, 01:00 AM
movie was sick :)

andyscoot
06-24-2009, 05:56 AM

In other news, andyscoot sent me a message tonight. Everyone please read and refelect.

Your thoughts?

:rolleyes:

Sorry for trying to be the bigger man by trying to stop people de-reailing threads because their head is too far up their own ass to let a few comments in other threads go.

Internal Chaos
06-24-2009, 07:38 AM
You're a metal regular? So? I am too, I post there more than you do as I have never seen your posts, and I'm really good friends with them there. Who cares? Just because you're a regular poster of a music forum, doesn't mean you know more about metal. If you did, you'd recognise that IF LoG were considered metal, they're be Groove Metal, a sub of thrash that is influenced heavily by modern hardcore.

Do you wanna stop fighting? You're an absolute idiot.

andyscoot
06-24-2009, 08:42 AM
You're a metal regular? So? I am too, I post there more than you do as I have never seen your posts, and I'm really good friends with them there. Who cares? Just because you're a regular poster of a music forum, doesn't mean you know more about metal. If you did, you'd recognise that IF LoG were considered metal, they're be Groove Metal, a sub of thrash that is influenced heavily by modern hardcore.

Do you wanna stop fighting? You're an absolute idiot.

And, handbanana is a regular here dosen't mean he knows more about hardcore.
Don't cry when i use your logic.

Also can you seriously read? Ive said countless times I CONSIDER THEM TO BE A METAL BAND but since they have a thread in the HARDCORE section, i felt it apropriate to post here. If i want to talk about Dream Theater, i go to the Progressive forum, not the metal forum, because thats where you go to talk about them. Same applies here. You lot started this fight, not me. I was merely trying to recommend bands he may like to learn songs by. Is that a ****ing crime? No. Then you get all pissy because 'oh noes, nu-metalcore, it iz not teh tr00 metalcorez'. Of course it ****ing is. Then i also sent a message to him, explaining that we should stop arguing, and he carries it on. But yet, im the one that is apparently carrying this on and needs to stop.

You really need to learn not to get on peoples backs for no reason, and also learn to ****ing read.

EDIT: Grove metal started around the same as metalcore really influenced by modern hardcore. Also, why dont we have all the trash bands in here because they were 'influenced by hardcore'. **** it, why dont we have Opeth in the jazz thread because they have elements of jazz.

TheBabySnatcher
06-24-2009, 08:48 AM
And, handbanana is a regular here dosen't mean he knows more about hardcore.
Don't cry when i use your logic.

Also can you seriously read? Ive said countless times I CONSIDER THEM TO BE A METAL BAND but since they have a thread in the HARDCORE section, i felt it apropriate to post here. If i want to talk about Dream Theater, i go to the Progressive forum, not the metal forum, because thats where you go to talk about them. Same applies here. You lot started this fight, not me. I was merely trying to recommend bands he may like to learn songs by. Is that a ****ing crime? No. Then you get all pissy because 'oh noes, nu-metalcore, it iz not teh tr00 metalcorez'. Of course it ****ing is. Then i also sent a message to him, explaining that we should stop arguing, and he carries it on. But yet, im the one that is apparently carrying this on and needs to stop.

You really need to learn not to get on peoples backs for no reason, and also learn to ****ing read.

Dude, stfu. No one likes you.

Internal Chaos
06-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Andy, shut up. You're pulling at straws, because you care about this an no one else does.

Shh, it'll aaaaall be okay.

TheBabySnatcher
06-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Andy, shut up. You're pulling at straws, because you care about this an no one else does.

:sexsmile: :five:

12shinn21
06-24-2009, 08:54 AM

Haha this. dude is so cut.

andyscoot
06-24-2009, 08:58 AM

Actually like i said, it seems to be you lot that care, since you caused all this, not me. I made one post, and you all jumped on my back. How is that me caring and you not. If you truly didn't care, you wouldn't keep replying to me. You wouldnt have made a 3 page thread out of the fact i reccomended a band thats considered Metalcore in a thread that i believe he asked for "metalcore bands in drop d'

EDIT: I've never posted a bad word in this forum. I go into bands threads to talk about the bands i like, and i see the likes of handbanana ragging on bands for no reason whatsoever. So as soon as i comment on it, he gets defensive, and then brings down every thread i go in, as some sort of personal vendetta. Then when i try and correct it, he uses that against me.

So thats the definition of asshole right? :rolleyes:

Internal Chaos
06-24-2009, 09:05 AM
I made my point, and you kept going. Nothing seems to sink in. It's like teaching rationality to a feminist.

TheBabySnatcher
06-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Actually like i said, it seems to be you lot that care, since you caused all this, not me. I made one post, and you all jumped on my back. How is that me caring and you not. If you truly didn't care, you wouldn't keep replying to me. You wouldnt have made a 3 page thread out of the fact i reccomended a band thats considered Metalcore in a thread that i believe he asked for "metalcore bands in drop d'

Why do you keep replying to our posts? You're the one that keeps going on about it.

andyscoot
06-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Why do you keep replying to our posts? You're the one that keeps going on about it.

Actually if you'd have left it at my first post, it would have been fine, but no, you all had to get all elitist on me. 'Its nu-metalcore, it is not real metalcore'. To me, thats you carrying it on, instead of reccomending bands yourself, you had to comment on me.

Also stuff has gone into my 'diamond skull'. Youve put words in my mouth, and then said i dont take stuff in...

But im still at a loss as to how me reccomending a band to someone has basically turned the whole Hardcore forum against me? If you could kindly explain to me what exactly i did wrong on that first page to warrant another 2 pages fo you all having a go, ill gladly listen.

Internal Chaos
06-24-2009, 09:11 AM
a) I did recommend bands
b) I explained nu-metalcore civilly and correctly
c) You keep blocking your ears and yelling

If you're not willing to learn, stop criticising our teaching. Wanker.

andyscoot
06-24-2009, 09:14 AM
a) I did recommend bands
b) I explained nu-metalcore civilly and correctly
c) You keep blocking your ears and yelling

If you're not willing to learn, stop criticising our teaching. Wanker.

I know you explained nu metalcore correctly, and i now know what the difference is, but i dont see how that matters. Surely nu metalcore is still a form of metalcore. Just as nu metal is still a form of metal?

Im not blocking my ears, infact, all ive done in this thread is defend my case if you want to look back through the thread.

I havent once said you are wrong, or that i dont want to know more about the genre.

12shinn21
06-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Now it's just a boring argument in which noone wants to admit they were wrong. The dude made this thread 6 months ago and has not posted in it since re-bumping so what is the point of it?

Threadlock please.

andyscoot
06-24-2009, 09:19 AM
I think my e-mail to handbanana explained that i admit i was wrong to have a go at him. But as far as i know in this thread, ive done nothing wrong. Next time someone asks for some bands in drop d, ill be sure to recommend some Drop A stuff ;)

If ive come across as not willing to listen, then i apologise for that, its really not how ive intended to come across.

Internal Chaos
06-24-2009, 09:20 AM
OH MY GOD.

Where did I saw Nu-metalcore isn't metalcore? Nowhere. I said it's the new wave. Jesus Christ, now do you see why people think you're a moron?

If you're so regular in the metal forum, get the fuck back in there then.

andyscoot
06-24-2009, 09:23 AM
OH MY GOD.

Where did I saw Nu-metalcore isn't metalcore? Nowhere. I said it's the new wave. Jesus Christ, now do you see why people think you're a moron?

If you're so regular in the metal forum, get the fuck back in there then.

Well no, because i like some hardcore bands.

And you didnt say nu metalcore isnt metalcore. Another guy did, which i just combined with my post. Since its the hardcore forum vs me, im not bothering to adress you all individually.

Internal Chaos
06-24-2009, 09:27 AM
I don't see why you're arguing. Apparently I explained it correctly, and the reason why I'm angry now is because you're criticising even though many of us helped. Handbanana is a prick, we all know that. So? Don't let a new kid like him ruin a forum for you. He's an anonymous face, just tell him to stfu and he will be temporarily subdued.

andyscoot
06-24-2009, 09:32 AM
I don't see why you're arguing. Apparently I explained it correctly, and the reason why I'm angry now is because you're criticising even though many of us helped. Handbanana is a prick, we all know that. So? Don't let a new kid like him ruin a forum for you. He's an anonymous face, just tell him to stfu and he will be temporarily subdued.

Look im sorry, admittedly i carried this on longer than it should have, im stubborn, and have to win arguments, which by the looks of it. I haven't. So i might as well back down, and admit that my limited knowledge in this genre isn't the best thing to use when im dealing with more experienced users.

handbanana
06-24-2009, 10:00 AM
anyd you realize no matter what you say, you got a bad start so people are going to make fun of you no maater what. not even trying to be dick but id say your best bet is to just not post here anymore.

Squifey
06-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Now it's just a boring argument in which noone wants to admit they were wrong. The dude made this thread 6 months ago and has not posted in it since re-bumping so what is the point of it?

Threadlock please.
+1

JxD
06-24-2009, 02:21 PM
I've never posted a bad word in this forum. I go into bands threads to talk about the bands i like, and i see the likes of handbanana ragging on bands for no reason whatsoever. So as soon as i comment on it, he gets defensive, and then brings down every thread i go in, as some sort of personal vendetta. Then when i try and correct it, he uses that against me.
This rules so hard.

handbanana
06-24-2009, 02:22 PM
JxD <3

likeomgtehtuck!
06-24-2009, 09:12 PM
there are too many people going at it to even tell whats going on anymore

Okeefe Is Legit
06-24-2009, 09:55 PM

Your thoughts?

I agree 100%

But my opinion isn't going to stop the idiocy in this subforum...

handbanana
06-24-2009, 11:19 PM
I agree 100%

But my opinion isn't going to stop the idiocy in this subforum...

at this point it seems like nothing will, i smell a locking coming soon to this thread and the crabcore thread.

likeomgtehtuck!
06-25-2009, 01:00 AM
im really hoping so, these threads are just flaming of n00bz

Okeefe Is Legit
06-25-2009, 01:01 AM
But they're the only entertaining threads on the forum as of now :(

likeomgtehtuck!
06-25-2009, 01:13 AM
good call.

Internal Chaos
06-25-2009, 02:16 AM
Well, this ended well.