New speaker for Peavey Classic 50

PDA

View Full Version : New speaker for Peavey Classic 50

werty22
12-30-2008, 07:19 PM
I need to replace the Celestion G12L-35 speaker in my Classic 50 (12-inch, 8 ohms). It was blown, probably because of a poor connection. I don't know much about speakers. I would prefer a fairly versatile speaker because the band plays music ranging from Jerry Lee Lewis to Boston. Basically I want to be able to handle any music up to around 1980. I think I want kind of a Fendery sound, but with more mids. But frankly I'm not too picky about my sound and I'm not trying to imitate any particular sound.

I don't really have a budget in mind, but I obviously don't want to pay too much. As I said, I'm not too picky about my sound. I would prefer something that sounds at least as good as the old speaker, but a low price is pretty important. Lesser-known brands are fine.

By the way, is it alright to run the amp at 8 ohms (instead of 16 ohms) with one of the speakers disconnected? Should I decrease the volume when doing this?

Edit: I usually use the clean channel. My band plays loud enough that the amp's natural overdrive is plenty. I don't care much about distortion. A good clean/slightly overdriven sound is the main priority.

ShreddyVanhalen
12-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Most go with the Celestion Vintage 30 which should give you that extra midrange you want. Theyre not too highly priced either.

Iceman 420
12-30-2008, 07:31 PM
www.warehousespeakers.com

The Green Berets.

pak1351
12-30-2008, 07:35 PM
+1 to the green berets

werty22
12-30-2008, 07:36 PM
I thought someone would probably say that, since people recommend them all the time here. What about this?

http://warehousespeakers.com/proddetail.php?prod=veteran30_12

I've seen a few people recommend those. Are they comparable to Celestions?

Edit: Never mind, that was to the first poster.

werty22
12-30-2008, 07:41 PM
This is a dumb question but what's the significance of the power rating on speakers? It that a compatibility issue or just a matter of headroom? Because I like the amount of headroom I have now. A little more would be fine, but I don't want earlier breakup because the Classic 50 already breaks up pretty early.

The Green Beret doesn't really seem like my thing because I don't want to "make my amp GROWL" and I don't have a "thirst for rock'n'roll and metal tone."

ShreddyVanhalen
12-30-2008, 07:44 PM
It is a compatibility issue if your amp has more watts than the combined wattage that the speakers can handle.

I'm not entirely sure about how much extra headroom you would get though.

The berets the guys suggested earlier are indeed good but have an early breakup so I wouldn't suggest them for your usage.

werty22
12-30-2008, 07:48 PM
OK, thanks. How much headroom do Vintage 30s/Veteran 30s have?

ShreddyVanhalen
12-30-2008, 08:12 PM
They both have 60 watt power ratings although sometimes there will be ones with a lower power rating so check it before you buy.

Johnbryant
12-31-2008, 12:14 AM
For what you are wanting I would not go with the vintage 30s/veteran 30 they are way to modern sounding. The Celestoin G12-35 are only 35 watt speakers, and if since you are pushing your amp into OD that is what caused them to blow, also probably hindered your head room a little as well. Personally if I were you I would be looking for a speaker that around the 50 watts or greater. Celestions G12-65 would be great, warehouse model, ET65, also the Eminence legends are a great buy.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Eminence-Legend-GB128-Guitar-Speaker?sku=667700 http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Eminence-Legend-125-Guitar-Speaker?sku=667702

pak1351
12-31-2008, 12:34 AM
You do have two speakers right?

werty22
12-31-2008, 04:36 AM
You do have two speakers right?
Yes. So should both speakers have about the same power rating? I don't really know anything right now about the other speaker.

And thanks, Johnbryant, I'll look into those.

Edit: The other speaker is solid black without a brand name or anything. There's a sticker on the magnet with some numbers on it. I googled the numbers on the sticker and I think it's manufactured by Eminence. I can't find anything else about it. The numbers are

12925 8ohms

67-93330641

I don't know if any of those indicate anything about the speakers specs or not.

pak1351
12-31-2008, 10:28 AM
No, both speakers don't need to be the same power rating, but the new one you get should be rated at a minimum of 25W.

Also, have you checked the ultimate speaker thread? There are some reviews and junk of different speakers in there

werty22
01-02-2009, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the help so far. Now that I've learned a little more about this stuff I have a better idea of what I want. New Question: Would an American-sounding speaker like the eminence legend 1258 give the Peavey a more vintage-Fender (maybe tweed) sound or would it just sound weird? Should I choose a speaker that complements the amp's natural tone instead?

al112987
01-02-2009, 02:38 AM
Weber speakers. Reasonably priced, top quality. Do not consider Warehouse speakers until you look at Ted Weber's different makes.

pak1351
01-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Weber speakers are cheaper American voiced speakers (jensen clones), warehouse are cheaper british voiced speakers(celestion clones), generally. I know Ted makes a couple British voiced ones, but the majority are jensen clones.

E-mail Ted and ask him if he has any recommendations, supposedly he's pretty helpful. I've also heard that the people at eminence are also helpful for recommending speakers.

Maybe look into a Weber Blue Dog, that seems like a popular replacement, or an eminence cannibas rex or legend.

al112987
01-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Imo, Weber and Scumback make the best British type speakers, there is a "MyTone" speaker that was making it's way around another forum based on a set of specs from a guy's pre-Rola Greenbacks that Ted cloned and just sounds killer.

Also Eminence makes a few Celestion style speakers, Private Jack (Greenback-ish), Wizard (g12h30-ish), Red Fang (Alnico Blue-ish) and there was another one based off a Vintage 30.

werty22
01-03-2009, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the help so far. Now that I've learned a little more about this stuff I have a better idea of what I want. New Question: Would an American-sounding speaker like the eminence legend 1258 give the Peavey a more vintage-Fender (maybe tweed) sound or would it just sound weird? Should I choose a speaker that complements the amp's natural tone instead?
Can anyone answer this?

pak1351
01-03-2009, 10:02 AM
^An American voiced speaker would help it sound like a more American amp, but I don't think you'll be able to get a real legitimate tweed sound out of it.

Your best bet is to email Ted, as I'm sure he has a lot more experience than us in this situation.

Maybe pm Mr. Carrot as well, he ran the ultimate speaker thread for a long time, but hasn't been posting in there lately.

The problem I see is that if you put in an American-voiced speaker, you're going to have some more trouble reaching the Boston sound.

werty22
01-03-2009, 02:08 PM
I don't really care about the Boston sound much. I hate Boston. The band I'm in now plays one of their songs, but it's the only song of that kind. And I'm mostly in the band for the experience. So I guess I'll probably go for an American-voiced speaker. It looks like most British speakers won't have enough treble response for my taste.

werty22
01-03-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm leaning toward the Eminence 1258 right now.
Recommended Enclosure: Sealed (Vented Acceptable)
Does that apply to combos or only cabs? Sorry for all the nooby questions, I knew practically nothing about this stuff until a few days ago.