Most underrated/overrated guitars

PDA

View Full Version : Most underrated/overrated guitars

Shredoftheday
01-03-2009, 04:36 AM
Well since I previously made a overrated guitarist thread and some guy made a underrated guitarist thread I decided to make a underrated/overrated GUITAR (without the IST) thread.
Begin?/!

blue_strat
01-03-2009, 04:39 AM
Guitar? Without the ist?

Okay ...

Guitars are all personal preference. For every person that doesn't like a guitar, there'll be another that does like it.

col50
01-03-2009, 04:43 AM
Overrated: Fender and Gibson
Underrated: Parker and Schecter

gwitersnamps
01-03-2009, 04:48 AM
Overrated: Jackson
Underrated: LTD

Necrophagist777
01-03-2009, 04:50 AM
Overrated: Gibson, Dean
Underrated: Michael Kelly

SlashYourFug
01-03-2009, 04:51 AM
Overrated: Gibson
Underrated: Hello Kitty Strat

Robert_Gray
01-03-2009, 04:52 AM
overrated: Fender, Gibson, Jackson, PRS, LTD, ESP, Dean, Schecter, Gretsch, B.C. Rich, Ibanez, Michael Kelly, Parker, Monterey...... :p:

Leat
01-03-2009, 04:56 AM
Fender and Gibson.

Most underrated would probably be PRS. Not everybody knows about them.

TimmyPage06
01-03-2009, 05:03 AM
Most overrated would be Schecter. All I hear are people here raving about them but I just don't hear the quality when I play them.. they're very hit and miss. I've played one that was absolutely amazing and about 12 that sounded like the wood was dead. (And I mean figuratively of course, if it's in a guitar the wood is rather dead)

Underrated would be the Ibanez Artcores. I've played a few that easily match or sound better than the same sized Gibson counterpart.

Delanoir
01-03-2009, 05:08 AM
For overrated? PRS, definitely.

They're great, yes. But they're always made out to be the best guitars ever made, when they really aren't.

Don't believe me? Ask Rob Chappers, he was endorsed by them and had custom PRS's before switching, and not for the money.

As for underrated, probably Edwards.

Necrophagist777
01-03-2009, 05:09 AM
Most overrated would be Schecter. All I hear are people here raving about them but I just don't hear the quality when I play them.. they're very hit and miss. I've played one that was absolutely amazing and about 12 that sounded like the wood was dead. (And I mean figuratively of course, if it's in a guitar the wood is rather dead)

Underrated would be the Ibanez Artcores. I've played a few that easily match or sound better than the same sized Gibson counterpart.

I've never played a bad Schecter but I've only ever played hellraiser's and blackjacks.

The cheaper ones could be garbage for all i know. I personally love my Hellraiser, tough to beat for the low low price I got it for.

jimivancobain
01-03-2009, 05:12 AM
overrated: gibson
underrated: laguna

mub
01-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Overrated-Gibson, ESP
Underrated- LTD, Mayones, MKelly, Kramer,

Jyscal
01-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Overrated: Gibsons, especially lespauls, PRS, and of course Bc rich guitars.
Underrated: Peavy guitars, and Ibanez guitars, ppl always say they are only for metal, esp the RG series, but this is just not true. all you have to do is get one of the prestige guitars and your all set

Nolly
01-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Overrated: Dean, Schecter, Gibson
Underrated: Parker, Carvin, Edwards

johnro6659
01-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Way overrated: Fender Strats and Teles In almost 40 years of playing guitar I never found one I would cosnsider buying for myself. For some reason people love these guitars and tend to over look the other and IMHO better guitars Fender produces.

Underatted: A lot of inexpensive guitars coming out of China. A lot of these are surprizingly well built and very pleasing to play. Every year they are getting better and better too. People tend to put these guitars down because they never tried any because they are not made under a big brand name. Most of these guitars with a simple pup swap can be just as good as the big brand names at a fraction of the cost.

John

sashki
01-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Overrated: Gibson, Fender Strats and Teles, and on UG, Ibanez and ESP.
Underrated: Epiphone Elitist, less common Fenders like Jaguars, Kramer, and BC Rich. Yes, they did suck for a long time, but the new ones are better. Not as good as they were in the 80's, though.

EDIT: Forgot Godin. They're massively underrated. I've never seen anyone suggest one, even though they're great. The Velocity has to be one of my favourite guitars (and I'm a picky bastard)

Grawgos
01-03-2009, 10:02 AM
overrated- gibson, fender, schecter, dean

underated- Washburn, Godin, Cort, gretsch, LTD, carvin

Baby Joel
01-03-2009, 10:05 AM
I hardly see how Schecter and Gretsch are underrated. Also, anyone who has used a Carvin gives them massively high reviews.

YA89
01-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Over-rated - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-D-28-Authentic-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-513360-i1175484.gc
Under-rated - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Bullet-Electric-Guitar-with-Tremolo-104494315-i1385540.gc

GuitarGuy X
01-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Overated: Gibson. Fender. Schecter. LTD/ESP. B.C. Rich. Jackson.

Semi overated and semi underated: Ibanez. PRS. Epiphone.

Underated: Squier. Carvin. Musicman. Cort.

Rx40user
01-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Overrated: Fender
Underrated: Godin

TimBFMV
01-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Overated: Ibanez, Jackson, ESP, BC Rich, Dean, Gibson, PRS
Underated: Cort, Vintage

randomhero93
01-03-2009, 12:11 PM
over-rated:les pauls
under-rated: the Schecter Omen 6

Oujou
01-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Overrated: Telecasters
Underrated: The Starcaster Maple Bolt-on Neck, Rosewood Fretboard, Basswood body? Sounds like gold to me.

Shredoftheday
01-04-2009, 12:22 AM
this might sound noobish to the max but why are MGs ****?

Necrophagist777
01-04-2009, 12:25 AM
this might sound noobish to the max but why are MGs ****?

why are you a troll :confused:

TSelman
01-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Overrated: Gibson and Fender

Underrated: EVERYTHING ELSE

Shredoftheday
01-04-2009, 12:31 AM
why are you a troll :confused:
No...I just never got around to trying one out...

ieatursoul
01-04-2009, 01:18 AM
Overated: guitar hero controlers

Necrophagist777
01-04-2009, 01:32 AM
No...I just never got around to trying one out...

They are crap because they sound bad. Why are we talking about MG's in this thread?

BucketHayden
01-04-2009, 01:35 AM
ESP arnt really overrated, there overpriced

ethan_hanus
01-04-2009, 01:36 AM
the most over rated guitar is the gibson les paul, sorry but it is. my squire with emg kicks its ass, but thats just my tastes.

the most underrated guitar is anykind of ltd.

nan0
01-04-2009, 01:37 AM
ESPLID, Dean, schecter, all overrated for sure.

Just because your favorite band is endorsed by them (they probably own nice versions of the models) doesn't mean their good, and just because it looks "metal" doesn't mean jack ship. When you listening to the music you don't know if it's a Les paul. A Les Paul can sound just as heavy.

bucketmark
01-04-2009, 01:38 AM
Overrated - Gibson & Fender.
Underrated - Squier & Greg Bennett.

nan0
01-04-2009, 01:40 AM
Just the fact that most peole said Gibson and Fender shows how sad musicians have become. If you can call them that.

bucketmark
01-04-2009, 01:40 AM
Just the fact that most peole said Gibson and Fender shows how sad musicians have become. If you can call them that.
It is our personal preference.

Oujou
01-04-2009, 01:41 AM
They are crap because they sound bad. Why are we talking about MG's in this thread?

He read my sig.

wrxplayer
01-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Overrated (as in not worth the extra $$ but they are nice): T Anderson
Underrated: Reverend

nan0
01-04-2009, 01:43 AM
It is our personal preference.

Which is why it's sad.

bucketmark
01-04-2009, 01:45 AM
Which is why it's sad.
Ok sorry, i think gibson and fender are underrated.
Squiers are so overrated and not worth it.

nan0
01-04-2009, 01:53 AM
Ok sorry, i think gibson and fender are underrated.
Squiers are so overrated and not worth it.

Cups of coffee. :mad: :eek:

Tyranus-3121
01-04-2009, 02:03 AM
overrated: Dean
underrated: schecter

Supersonic64
01-04-2009, 02:22 AM
I think that most compaines are the same its just the guitars they have are overated.
Example:

Overated-Gibson SG
Underated-Fender Jaguar

ieatursoul
01-04-2009, 02:27 AM
why is dean so overated i love dean :mad: :(

Chance125
01-04-2009, 02:44 AM
I would say

The most overrated guitar brands are:
Dean- These guitars really just sound like ****. They seem to try to appeal to metalheads with no sense of tone. And of course Dean has their angry teenaged metalhead fanbase that defends them with violent caps lock rants and curse words. :haha

Ibanez- Of course, Ibanez has guitars in almost every price range, and quite a few different styles, but let's face it, a whole lot of newer guitarists buy them because of their flexible price range, and they end up with a superstrat guitar with almost no versatility. Not everyone will agree of course, I just don't feel that Ibanez guitars should be a go-to guitar unless you are strictly playing metal or some form of shred. It would be nice to see a bit of diversity.

I don't necessarily agree with the people saying Fender/Gibsons are overrated. Overpriced? Maybe.

They are revered around the world as the best brands for a reason though. That reason is quality, playability, and overall tone. Something that doesn't always come cheap.

Underrated guitars:

PRS- A whole lot of people tend to ask what the point of these guitars are. It gets on my nerves because most of these people have never actually held one of these beautiful guitars in their hands. They resonate so beautifully, and sound so good, it makes you want to sell all your current gear just to buy one. They may have a high price tag, but it's well worth it in my opinion.

They are of incredible quality. They should become more well known. (Although it scares me as well. Think of how awful it would be if PRS started mass producing their guitars like crazy to meet the supply and demand. I think we would see a definite quality decrease in their products. And they would most likely start focusing on lower priced instruments.)

JessyB96
01-04-2009, 03:05 AM
Overrated- Fender and Ibanez. they have there good guitars but i think they have more bad guitars i mean there is the odd fender id play but i cant think of a single ibanez i really care for.

Underrated- Cort there affordable and there good for there price, Gibson, i say this cause everyone tears gibson apart even tho ive never played one that had major quality problems and didn't produce a good sound but i agree over priced.
And BC Rich. if you go for the bottom of the barrel in bc rich you get what you pay for but i played a mocking bird special and almost bought it on the spot it was an incredible guitar and wasn't to terribly pricey

Pac_man0123
01-04-2009, 03:20 AM
Overrated- Schecter and Dean

Schecter has good guitars and all, and they do look good on paper for the price, but let's face it. The answer to every thread is not "zomg schecter lolz synyster gates uses one so it HAS to be good"

And dean? Well... dean generally has crappy, overpriced guitars with mediocre, overhyped pickups, and sells a lot of their guitars because they put a dead, respected man's name on 95% of them.

Underrated- Gibson, Peavey

Gibson's bandwagon is just ridiculous. How often do you hear a gibson owner complain about their guitar? Definitely not as often as you hear them praising it. As long as you get one with a neck that feels good to you (they aren't all the same because they are HANDMADE, not because of quality control), then you're set.

Peavey... idk much about their new guitars, but i love my Wolfgang.

Lethal Dosage
01-04-2009, 03:22 AM
Overrated: Your gonna think im bandwagoning here but its honest, Fender and Gibson, sure they do make some good guitars but they are really pricey just because of the name on the headstock

Underrated: I honestly think Ibanez when I was looking at getting a second guitar no one mentioned Ibanez to me until I took a vacation to my uncles house in colorado, I played his RG and fell in love. I think they are very easy to play but also more versatile and well priced then people give them credit for.

gwitersnamps
01-04-2009, 02:35 PM
ESPLID, Dean, schecter, all overrated for sure.

Just because your favorite band is endorsed by them (they probably own nice versions of the models) doesn't mean their good, and just because it looks "metal" doesn't mean jack ship. When you listening to the music you don't know if it's a Les paul. A Les Paul can sound just as heavy.
Thank you for that condescending statement.

Would it surprise you to know I play an LTD because, maybe, it sounds good?

OnlyIbanez12
01-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Gibsons are the most overrated guitars in the history of man and the most underrated I would say are definitely Carvins.

VieNam
01-08-2009, 06:32 PM
overrated: gibson.. they're pretty sweet though, but i don't feel they are sweet enough to be that wanted..
underrated: greg bennett.. i got a guitar by them, and it is sick.. i'd take this 500$ guitar over any 1500$ one any day... k prefer over gibson, jackson, carvin, epiphone, squier, peavey, schecter, in my opinion....

but, i don't really like any of the other greg bennetts though.. even the same model as mine, i think mine has a nicer/faster neck than other ones.

xXMetal-HeadXx
01-08-2009, 06:54 PM
over rated- Ibanez

under rated- back in the day (according to my Father) Schecter was a very under rated name (not so much now-a-days though). Washburn, and Michael Kelly get my vote.

gnaraaron
01-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Overrated: Gibson, Dean
Underrated: Michael Kelly

+1
most overrated: esp
underrated: michael kelly ftw

edit: and +1 to the guy above

TheQuailman
01-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Overrated: Gibson, Epiphone, PRS, though it highly depends on the individual guitar for those three. Schecters are nice, but get waaay too much credit here.

Underrated: Squier, Yamaha. And the uber-cheap brands like Stagg usually aren't THAT bad. It's not like they catch fire the second you plug them in. ;)
I also think that this site could use some more praising for Gretsch! And by the way, the higher end BC Rich guitars are great (fugly but great).

michaelscofield
01-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Underrated: Takamine, Godin

:D :D

skater dan0
01-08-2009, 07:27 PM
overrated:

Dean: Just because dimebag had one doesn't make them the most epic metal guitars ever.
Ibanez S series: No they are not the answer to every what guitar thread.
Gibson: all the aging rockstars in the world can't stop poor quality guitars hitting the shelves so stop releasing sigs for guitarist well past their prime and employ some people with eyes for quality control
Fender: lets face it, as good as they are their designs need updating even if it's as simple as swapping the lumpy neck joint for a smoother AANJ style join
BC Rich: pointy **** is still ****, just pointier.

Underrated:

All those MIJ brands that aren't so well known amongst the western guitar playing world like Tokai, Edwards and those Unbranded guitars that are so similar to gibsons in appearance, feel and tone that they don't brand them for fear of a lawsuit

Ikonoklast
01-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Overrated: Gibson, Epiphone, PRS, though it highly depends on the individual guitar for those three. Schecters are nice, but get waaay too much credit here.

Underrated: Squier, Yamaha. And the uber-cheap brands like Stagg usually aren't THAT bad. It's not like they catch fire the second you plug them in. ;)
I also think that this site could use some more praising for Gretsch! And by the way, the higher end BC Rich guitars are great (fugly but great).

I agree. I own the Yamaha RGX and it's ****ing lovely. I also own an Indie. Indie's are extremely underrated.

Gibson Epiphones are overrated.
The SG is completely and utterly horrid to play. IMO. :peace:

HaterLover
01-08-2009, 08:06 PM
overrated: Ibanez

Underrated:Charvel, Carvin

Ethanb08
01-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Overrated - Ibanez, Fender, Gibson. (mostly Ibanez, Ive played lots of their different models cause its all my local music stores carry. I dont get the hype personally, The neck is way to thin imo, but I have big hands...)
Underrated - Homemade guitars... hehe, Im not really sure but its seems like a lot of people dont own music mans (price maybe? ... then again gibsons...) but I've played them at "distant" music stores and i really enjoy playing them (but the neck could be slightly thicker...) I really think you get what you pay for when buying EBMM.

JELIFISH19
01-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Over-rated - Gibson & PRS
Under-rated - Ibanez & Fender

This is simply based on the value. They produce the best instruments in the $800-$1300 price range. The american deluxes and prestiges are great guitars that even come with great hardcases. I haven't played a gibson that had the amount of craftsmanship as the fender, yet they are more expensive. People think just because they also make lower-end instruments mean that they are beginner's guitars. People think that Gibsons and PRS are better because they start at more than $1000.

TMF128
01-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Over-rated - Gibson & Fender
Under-rated - Ibanez & PRS

Fixed.

As much as I love Gibsons, they are overrated.

Epiphones are underrated, as well as ESP's.

DirtyDenny
09-10-2014, 01:37 AM
PRS the most overrated guitar and a ALL Parts Parts Guitar is the most underrated Guitar.

Sorry I'm going to piss off a lot of folks but I truly feel PRS got there start by copying late 70's Japanese Arias Ibanez or any other pretty & fancy guitar's from that era. They have evolved into a very big corporate company and have quite a few endorsers but I wouldn't be caught dead playing one, they are sterile soulless white boy guitars and that's not me.
For instance remember the old Carlos Santana the best tone he ever had was when he was playing his old Gibson SG straight in to an amp. He sounds like crap playing one of these soulless guitars and it doesn't even look good on him. The real Carlos was back in the day's when he was playing a guitar he loved not given. This Cat Paul Reed Smith was just a copy cat guitar builder. His guitars remind me of himself a sterile Northern White Boy. :haha:

And Now for the most underrated guitar's ALL PARTS:

All parts Guitar body's are made by Wildwood Manufacturing in Northern California. These are the the same cats that the world renown Mark Jenny or MJT use. They are even better quality than what Fender is offering and the necks come out of one of those high quality company's from Japan. I have built some outstanding guitars using there stuff and they have a great old school vibe too as well as a killer tone. :D

dannyalcatraz
09-10-2014, 01:45 AM
*psssst!*

This thread died Jan. 8, 2009.