Active onboard EQ for electric guitar: where can I find one?

PDA

View Full Version : Active onboard EQ for electric guitar: where can I find one?

lumberjack
01-09-2009, 10:20 AM
That will run on 18v and isn't designed for acoustic?

The only active pre amp I can find with a treble, mid, and bass cut+boost control is the one sold by Guitar Fetish and the one by ARTEC. Of course, you can't actually find anything OUT about those things. Also, I have no way of knowing whether the GFS deal will accept 18v...same deal with the ARTEC circuit, looks kinda cool but I have no way of knowing what kind of quality it is, I mean for $39 it can't be that stunning. Supposedly the ARTEC will accept 18v though.

I SWEAR I've seen a different onboard EQ circuit somewhere, but I can't find it! Does anyone know of any respectable manufactures who make something like that?

Needs to run on 18v, it's getting combined with active EMG's running on 18v.

lumberjack
01-11-2009, 04:13 PM
anyone?

metalwarrior40
01-11-2009, 04:27 PM
yea, let me dig it up, i think i have something that's what your looking for, be right back

EDIT: here. is this it?

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=502G

lumberjack
01-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Not exactly, that is only 2 bands ( I should have specified I'm looking for a 3 bander ) and has a bunch of stuff I have no need for, like the coil splitting and phase switching. Thanks for your time though!

I think I'm just going to cross my fingers and go with the Artec circuit. I couldn't find a review on that specific product, but their other stuff got good reviews and it can run in excess of 18v, and for only $35 plus shipping, if the thing sucks I'll just tear it out.

Which is dumb, because then I'll have a guitar with 3 extra holes in it....

....::sigh::.....

Anyone seen anything else around?

metalwarrior40
01-11-2009, 06:37 PM
The only other onboard EQ i know of is The one made my fishman for acoustic, i dont know if they make one for electrics though, or if you could still use a acoustic one for an electric.

I have it on my acoustic, i love it

lumberjack
01-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Yeah, Fishman pretty much rule the universe of acoustic pre amps, but I would rather steer clear of slapping a big plastic square on the front of a flame maple guitar, haha.

metalwarrior40
01-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Haha i get your point. let me see if i can find anything else..

EDIT: the only thing i could find.. But it has no mid Eq..

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Shadow-2-Band-EQ-Preamp-System-For-Solid-Wood-Guitars-300141-i1171714.gc

looks like your S.O.L.

lumberjack
01-11-2009, 07:28 PM
looks like your S.O.L.

Whassat?

Comrade Curry
01-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Whassat?

**** out of luck?

metalwarrior40
01-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Whassat?

Shit Outa Luck

the humanity
01-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Whassat?
sheet outta luck.

but he isn't. bass regularly uses the 3 band EQ, and you could get an Aguilar, Bartolini, John East, even MEC preamp, get added low end as a bonus no doubt.

metalwarrior40
01-11-2009, 07:35 PM
sheet outta luck.

but he isn't. bass regularly uses the 3 band EQ, and you could get an Aguilar, Bartolini, John East, even MEC preamp, get added low end as a bonus no doubt.

like so? https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=501B

a_man
01-11-2009, 07:36 PM
ESP MM-04? Although it's designed with Alexi Laiho in mind it might work for you. I don't know much about it though. I've just heard about it.

http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod4887.htm

the humanity
01-11-2009, 08:11 PM
like so? https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=501B
I would assume so.

I think bestbassgear.com sells other options. along with guitarcenter.com, but well...

it's less varied there.

lumberjack
01-11-2009, 11:56 PM
sheet outta luck.

I have a sneaking feeling those EQ's wouldn't be working in frequencies anywhere close to the same as guitar pre-amps....why would companies sell 2 of the same 3 band EQs, one for guitar, one for bass, if they all worked on the same frequencies??

SVStee
01-11-2009, 11:58 PM
If you feel DIY, I have some schematics and layouts i can PM you.

the humanity
01-12-2009, 12:19 AM
I have a sneaking feeling those EQ's wouldn't be working in frequencies anywhere close to the same as guitar pre-amps....why would companies sell 2 of the same 3 band EQs, one for guitar, one for bass, if they all worked on the same frequencies??
well, there are 36 fret 6 string basses. that would mean about 4-6 notes on a regular guitar that those basses don't reach. hmmm.

I do know those ones use Bartolini preamps from what I've seen. ;)

lumberjack
01-12-2009, 12:45 AM
DIY runs through my blood like vitamins and minerals man! But how will schematics help if I don't have a unit to work with for starters?

Oh, and it's too late anyways, I forgot to mention that a few hours ago I ordered the ARTEC circuit. I'll let you guys know how that goes in like 4 months when I'm done building the guitar :p: