best sounding acoustic strings?

PDA

View Full Version : best sounding acoustic strings?

SolKanar77
01-11-2009, 05:19 PM
what are the best sounding LIGHT acoustic strings.
just ordered an acoustic electric and idk squat about acoustics
I also got two sets of Martin Marquis strings to go with the guitar
how do they compare with other Martins like SP's, Elixirs, D'Addarios, etc.

justinb904
01-11-2009, 05:21 PM
depends on the sound you want
which is...?

edit: i use D'Addarios myself, they last a long time and you can find a good variety of windings and metals at about any guage

Artemis Entreri
01-11-2009, 05:22 PM
personally I think Elixir are the best.

this is all personal opinion btw.

SP's are better than marquis for my guitar. D'Addarios are good if you play A LOT because the special coating on elixirs wears off in a few days so you're paying 4$ more for just about nothing. But if you play once every 2 or 3 days that coating greatly increases the amount of time your strings sound new.

But it depends on your guitar's build, and what you want your guitar to sound like. My guitar is flat and I was bright, so I used super bright elixirs.

dudebud
01-11-2009, 05:24 PM
I am a die hard fan of elixirs. I have tried EVERYTHING under the sun and nothing compares for me.

don't get me wrong, there were other brands that sound fantastic but if you compare an elixir set that have been on for a month with any other brand that have been on for a few days, its very rare (in my personal experience and taste) that anything comes close.

ethan_hanus
01-11-2009, 05:26 PM
i have the D'Addario EXP strings, and i'm highly impressed with the tone and how long it has kept the tone. Been like 4 months and still has very good tone. i gone though alot of strings, Elixers sound great but the g string dosent last long enough for me to tell if they go bad, do not buy Cleartone strings, they suck.

SolKanar77
01-11-2009, 05:43 PM
I probably can't afford elixirs and the EXP's so I'm directing this question to the lower end guitar strings. Like Martin SP's and D'Addario EJ16 phospher bronze's

Artemis Entreri
01-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Out of those....D'Addario are brighter and warmer, while Martin SP's are more rounded and clear on my guitar. I'd go with the D'addario.

SolKanar77
01-11-2009, 07:10 PM
thanks, yeah I actually like a darker bassier sound than that bright sound many guitars have

jon12315
01-11-2009, 07:54 PM
I guess the same brand can have different result.
I tried 3 martin strings and 1 elixir string on my Yamaha acoustics before.
Martin SP(MSP4100)>Martin M140>Martin Marquis(M1100)> Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb.
BTW, all of them are light strings.

I don't care if the Elixir last longer if it doesn't even sound good when new.
I haven't try a lot of stings so I can't make any conclusion. But out of those I think Martin SPs has the extra warmth and resonance that make them shine.

Different people hear differently and different guitars response to the strings differently.
Maybe it's best to try every single one to find your favorites.

SolKanar77
01-11-2009, 08:30 PM
hmm i think the Alvarez RD20SC comes with Elixirs on them

dcdossett65
01-11-2009, 08:38 PM
I love the Elixers. They go really nicely with my Taylor. I tried Martin Maquis, I really dislike how dry they sound.

FNAFJ
01-11-2009, 09:01 PM
I got bought some CF Martin & Co's and they sound too bright and twangy...

I have a set of Dean Markley's on my other guitar, and they sound pretty deep and thick though :P

Khoifish321
01-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Elixirs. I've tried everything out there, and nothing compares to Elixir's on a Taylor!

I didn't like D'Addarios, Martins, Dean Markleys, John Pearse, or anything. Might try Everlys soon, but I don't think those will be as good as Elixirs still.

SolKanar77
01-11-2009, 11:24 PM
i just realized this is a very subjective question. . .
can anyone tell me how the guitars respond to the different strings?

also: how do the strings affect the sound of a guitar?

captivate
01-11-2009, 11:34 PM
The only way to know how it'll sound is to try it out yourself.

As for how it affects the sound... it can actually completely change the sound of your guitar. It makes a HUGE difference. Strings like DR's are really bassy, whereas on the other side of the spectrum Elixirs are bright(almost piercingly so).

My personal favs so far are the Martin Eric Clapton Signature strings. No, they're not just a gimmick, they actually do sound quite good.

The only major brands I've never tried are the Ernie Ball earthwoods, cleartones, and umm... err... I think that might be it... I've gone through more than two dozen sets so far(havent even played 2 years yet, LOL). I change my strings monthly because my fingers are very corrosive.

SolKanar77
01-12-2009, 12:41 AM
lol thanks
i'll buy all types of strings and try em out as I go along
I don't really change my strings that often on my electric altho i know I should
because they get all grimy and black stuff ends up on my fingers
I've changed them all of twice so far :(
and I've played for around 9 months.