Good Talent Show Songs?

PDA

View Full Version : Good Talent Show Songs?

liamdude555
01-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Well im gonna do a song for the talent show at my school I like to play classic rock, blues and early metal. Im looking to play a song that the crowd will recognise. If you need more info just ask and I will answer. Thanks.

Siege of Power
01-24-2009, 09:41 PM
I cum blood
but seriously
uhm, purple haze :D

o d y s s e y
01-24-2009, 09:42 PM
crazy train ?

Century
01-24-2009, 09:42 PM
are you playing with a band or solo?

tastes_of_ink
01-24-2009, 09:43 PM
The most important thing to do is to play a song you love, that way the passion you feel for the song will be emmited by you on stage which is a huge plus for you. Something with an iconic opening riff like Heartbreaker by Led Zep, or Enter Sandman by 'tallica isn't going to do you any harm at all either.

Mitochondria9
01-24-2009, 09:43 PM
I cum blood
but seriously

lol. Cannibal Corpse would be funny. I was shocked when I learned Jim Carrey is a die hard Cannibal Corpse fan.

But anyway...

The first song that popped into my head was Van Halen's "Pretty Woman" cover.

But thats only because it was on XM 80's today.

Black Label93
01-24-2009, 09:44 PM
one people will know. screamo usually doesnt go down well. trust me i just got done with a talent show last friday

Arzon
01-24-2009, 09:44 PM
I cum blood
but seriously

Dude, that just made me shiver.

But, a really good one is this, I played it a couple months ago.

Pirates of the Caribbean meets guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnbve26vsYI

strat0blaster
01-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Pantera - Walk. Not becuase it's technically difficult to play, but because if you can pull off the attitude of that song with a band, you're going to own the stage completely. Remember - technical difficulty isn't the most important thing.

randomhero93
01-24-2009, 09:48 PM
i'm doin a talent show next month where i'm just playing a lot of different solos and riffs consecutively... but anyways... just play some stuff anyone would know... (blink 182)

St. Angry
01-24-2009, 09:51 PM
lol. Cannibal Corpse would be funny. I was shocked when I learned Jim Carrey is a die hard Cannibal Corpse fan.

I know how you feel. I couldn't beleive it.
No wonder they were in the first Ace Ventura movie.

M_16A
01-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Enter Sandman

thnkfst228
01-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Do some eric clapton if u have an acoustic (tears in heaven)

DynastyPntbllr9
01-24-2009, 10:15 PM
im doing one in march..were playing a children of bodom song...."were not gonna fall" if u wanted to know

TehMasterSword
01-24-2009, 10:24 PM
By yourself? If I was to play in a talent show, I'd play some Radiohead (High and Dry, Fake Plastic Trees acoustically), RHCP, or some Black Sabbath (in my area, this would get you some MAJOR points).

Mitochondria9
01-24-2009, 10:43 PM
I know how you feel. I couldn't beleive it.
No wonder they were in the first Ace Ventura movie.

Sorry to hijack, but from what Ive read, he begged them to play in Ace Ventura.

Ibanezguy22
01-25-2009, 01:37 PM
For a band in a talent show, u want a song that will get your audience jumping.
Advice: if your the only musician, (like no other bands) i think they would appreciate an instrumental guitar song to show off true skills... learn Cliffs of Dover or something like that
However, if there are more bands, play something that will get the crowd jumping and also a song that most will know. I have found if you can play Snow by red hot chilli peppers, you can put on quite a performance. If you want something harder, you cant go wrong with Crazy Train ( u will sound awesome playing this riff as long as your not playing in front of a crowd of other guitarists)

Audioslave95
01-25-2009, 01:43 PM
The 3 songs that...in my area...ensure victory!

1) Message in a Bottle - The Police
2) Mr. Brightside - The Killers
3) Feeling Good - Muse

jt51
01-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Are You Gonna Be My Girl by Jet is an easy and catchy song that would go over quite well at a high school talent show, and it shouldn't be hard to put all the parts together.

Punk_Ninja
01-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Anything popular will win it :p:

But seriously, if in a band (band being vox, guitar, bass, drums, if you have any other members thats just bonus ;)) do some catchy, fun stuff that you like, that the crowd also likes, if you do somethin you don't like you'll bebored on stage, if you do somethign they don't like they'll be bored.

Anything of guitar hero would also be popular, I'd personally do something that would also be slightly a joke to play, such as a Michael Jackson song (for some reason people laugh at his music just cos of the paedo charges, though I like it) or maybe the spice girls (Paul Gilbert's version of Two become one, to be manly :p: ) etc.

John5rules125
01-25-2009, 03:20 PM
In a school which is ruled by pop and rap (mine) making up something that uses a lot of effects works every single time. They dont care about the music, they care about the cool WAH, CHORUS, and pitch shifting.The latter is usually done with a whammy pedal.

Oujou
01-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Eruption.

Always Eruption.

Bran.
01-25-2009, 03:32 PM
yeah i was gonna say Eruption too if you can pull it off 100% pro. If not you can go down a step to Panama, i mean who doesnt love those harmonics in the intro? :D

MegadethFan
01-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Girls, Girls, Girls by Motley Crue

JessicaGonzo
01-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Rhcp

patbuck2
01-25-2009, 05:25 PM
One, by Metallica. Great, great, great song.

RR787
01-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Play what you know people are into in said place. Playing I wanna Rock on a rock cafe/bar/place will own but if the audience is based on a majority of mainstream teenagers, it won't do so well. True, I'd only play something I like. I won't mind Blink 182 or Sum 41 but if people are into emo poprock bands, I just won't learn their songs to play at all. It's my personal opinion about playing music.

Supersonic64
01-25-2009, 06:29 PM
i just auditioned for a talent show and i played pinball wizard by the who then i got accepted. it sounds impressive but is actually very simple.

The_Bosstone
01-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd.

Really gets audiences going.

DaddyBarbs
01-25-2009, 06:44 PM
can't stop by RHCP

Under the Bridge - RHCP

Through the Fire and Flames on Expert- Dragonforce

patbuck2
01-25-2009, 06:55 PM
i just auditioned for a talent show and i played pinball wizard by the who then i got accepted. it sounds impressive but is actually very simple.
That's a great song to play. It does sound impressive and is simple, now that you mention it.

fairycake92
01-25-2009, 07:03 PM
can't stop by RHCP

Under the Bridge - RHCP

Through the Fire and Flames on Expert- Dragonforce

uhuh...damn right.. only on expert

randomdude
01-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Satch Boogie
Scarified
Paradigm Shift (lol)

RockAddict311
01-25-2009, 07:30 PM
I wanted to play Can't Stop by RHCP but I couldnt find a singer.

EtherealAmateur
01-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Powerglove - Mortal Kombat for the Mortal Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B0P4F3C2no)

Neil Zaza - I'm Alright (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZc0Ln9DTKQ)

Chris Feener - Talent Show Medley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBimnXoAdHc)

Here are my suggestions. The last one is more for inspiration.

lunaticfringe93
01-25-2009, 08:30 PM
If you have a good keyboard player go with baba o riley
If you have a good singer try something by zep like communication breakdown or more than a feeling by boston.
If not go with something like voodoo child if you have a wah
If you have neither Won't Get Fooled again never fails
If your school is full of people who know jack **** about music play iron man or enter sandman or Crazy train or sweet child o mine or some other lame ass overrated overplayed song

Play to your advantages as long as its a song you like and you have the people and equipment you can make it happen.

P-Bass Pirate
01-25-2009, 09:06 PM
I played enter sandman along with some friends for our talent show a few months back. It went over well, but one note: the singer makes or breaks it. Our singer sucked.

Justice4AllOne
01-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Here's some bands, with songs by them I'd recommend:

Mötley Crüe (Shout At The Devil, Dr. Feelgood, Saints of Los Angeles)
Metallica (One, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Wherever I May Roam)
Slayer (Postmortem, Raining Blood, South of Heaven)
Slipknot (Psychosocial, Before I Forget, Duality)
Van Halen (Dreams, Panama, You Really Got Me)
Iron Maiden (Remember Tomorrow, Aces High, Hallowed Be Thy Name)

Some may or may not be too hard.
*shrug*

DIMEBAGLIVEDON
01-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Seek and Destroy by Metallica. Awesome song because of the chorus. Only do it you got band though.

R.I.P.Jimi
01-25-2009, 10:54 PM
hit song hendrix, mostly AYE album, probably not his bluesier stuff. I'd like it, they won't. good singer = Zeppelin, make sure you up to the solos on some of the songs.

THE WHO ultimate live band...what better then? wont get fooled again, the seeker!

if your alone, no band, maybe A day in the life, jeff becks cover version?

JP Oliver
01-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Maybe something that could get the crowd involved. Choose a song a lot of people know, with easy lyrics, and let them sing along with you. Plus if you're in a good band, it makes everything sound better.

Everybody has different tastes. In the end, only you (and your band?) can decide what song(s) to play.

CapnKickass
01-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Black Metal by Venom
Institutionalized by Suicidal Tendencies
I Kill Children by Dead Kennedys (it'll be funny)
Another Brick In The Wall pt. 2 by Pink Floyd (take a jab at the teachers or something)
Pink Panther theme song
Power Rangers theme song

MESAexplorer
01-26-2009, 02:06 AM
If you don't have a singer plan on playing a lot of popular music, a lot of intros and theme music...

Enter Sandman, Sweet Child o Mine, Eruption (the tapping part), Crazy Train, Mario Theme, James Bond theme, Flight of the Bumblebee, Fur Elise, Back in Black, TNT, etc.

Rukasu Rindu
01-26-2009, 02:50 AM
Pantera - Walk. Not becuase it's technically difficult to play, but because if you can pull off the attitude of that song with a band, you're going to own the stage completely. Remember - technical difficulty isn't the most important thing.

Hmm.. Technical Difficulties by Racer X!! :eek:

Tboi
05-22-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm going to be playing with my band in a talent show when school starts (missed the last one) and if we can find a singer with enough skill, we will do Iron maiden's "Aces High". If not we'll play Rush "YYX". but I'd say, play something that you love, that's easy-intermediate; something you won't make mistakes on, and something that sounds good/that is catchy.

led_zeppelin_96
05-22-2009, 07:40 PM
wanted dead or alive by Bon Jovi