Comparison: EMG pickups (Jackson WRMG) vs Seymour Duncan Detonators (Jackson WRXT)

PDA

View Full Version : Comparison: EMG pickups (Jackson WRMG) vs Seymour Duncan Detonators (Jackson WRXT)

cdrinkh20
01-28-2009, 03:49 PM
I know that the EMG's are active, and the detonators are passive, and a choice between them would be largely based on preference....

But are they of equal quality?

How does their quality compare to the Seymour Duncans used in the Jackson Kelly KE3 and KE2?

football4224
01-28-2009, 04:15 PM
I dunno, you could google the prices for each. Where I live, a set of EMGs runs about $200, but ive got no idea about those SDs, I dont really know much about them either. :(

cdrinkh20
01-28-2009, 05:08 PM
I looked it up, apparently (according to one site) --> the Detonators (passive) are about $30; and the Seymours on the Kellys (also passive) are about $70...
The EMG is about $110, probably because they are active...

Is this conclusive?

mikeyElite
01-28-2009, 05:12 PM
detonators arent even duncans if i remember correctly. aren't they made by musicians gear ?

there really isn't any comparison between the detonators and EMGs.

cdrinkh20
01-28-2009, 05:19 PM
They are indeed Duncan Designed detonators as shown on the Jackson site...

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/specSheet.php?product=2911600503

Do you mean there is no way to compare them (apples vs oranges), or do you mean the detonators don't come close to being as good?

DaRtH_ErLiK
01-28-2009, 06:18 PM

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/specSheet.php?product=2911600503

Do you mean there is no way to compare them (apples vs oranges), or do you mean the detonators don't come close to being as good?

"Duncan Designed" does NOT mean that they are real Seymour Duncan. SD licenses third parties to reproduce some of its pickups. These third parties generally DO NOT use the same quality items as their SD counterparts (wire, magnet, etc).
Hence, there is NO way to compare EMG's or SD's to Duncan Designed's.
Real SD's are very nice pickups, but if you go with these DD's you probably change them soon.

If you can buy, choose WRMG over WRXT, it's much better in terms of quality (pickups, tremolo, over all). If you don't like EMG, you can sell them anytime to buy/trade passive SD's, and you won't loose money in trade.

mikeyElite
01-28-2009, 07:16 PM

oh, i forgot they called the duncan designed hb-108 the detonator. i thought you were talking about his piece of crap,

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Duncan-Performer-Detonator-Pickup?sku=300134

cdrinkh20
01-29-2009, 07:33 PM
So I called some local guitar shops and apparently there is an issue of fender prices going up, and possibly Jacksons (owned by Fender)....
So I probably can't afford the WRMG or WRXT....
How is the JS30WR Warrior?
How does the Jackson® CVR2 Humbucking Pickup compare with the Detonators and EMGs?

mikeyElite
01-29-2009, 11:18 PM
How does the Jackson® CVR2 Humbucking Pickup compare with the Detonators and EMGs?

you pretty much have them in order from worse to better right there.

oneblackened
01-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Basically, what we're looking at is: Jackson CVR2<DD Detonator< Real SD=EMG ('cause that is preference, I don't especially like EMG's, but they sound good for heavy riffing).

moporama
04-07-2009, 04:21 PM
From all of my research it seem's to me that the Warrior with the EMG's are better. But that's only because there EMG's. I mean hell if there good enough for Zakk Wylde I don't see why they wouldn't be good enough for anyone else. I'm not a doctor or anything that's just my opinion I guess.

al112987
04-07-2009, 05:58 PM
maybe because Zakk Wylde has terrible tone.

LP_CL
04-08-2009, 04:29 AM
Hence, there is NO way to compare EMG's or SD's to Duncan Designed's.
Real SD's are very nice pickups, but if you go with these DD's you probably change them soon.

If you can buy, choose WRMG over WRXT, it's much better in terms of quality (pickups, tremolo, over all). If you don't like EMG, you can sell them anytime to buy/trade passive SD's, and you won't loose money in trade.
Duncan designed pickups seriously arent bad at all. They just are not as good as the real deal, but please dont say they are bad.
Also: the trem on the WRXT is the exact same as the one on the WRMG.

But essentially I agree: the WRMG is a better guitar then the WRXT, and if you have the money, you should go for the WRMG.

mrjammin
09-21-2012, 04:38 AM
I checked this thread (aswel as others that came up via search) hoping to get SOME indication on the ACTUAL tonal qualities/sound of the duncan designed HB-108 Detonator piickup, but i read all this.... :l
is it worth asking the question or am i likely to get opinions and banter? :l sorry guys, but alot of what i read on this site i find you really have to read between the lines! Dudes saying ‘its a really great guitar, its my first guitar....‘ yeah ,ok great, thanks.. should i have more input here? Perhaps i should, and perhaps i will, as i have owned/playd many guitars and amps, various styles, sounds, infact my latest guitar, which is what i want to upgrade the pickups on, its under 6mnths from new and already the fret wear is VERY apparent! Across the entire fretboard. i think its safe to say, i play often enough... so, i ges il return to my trusted music store and play every dam guitar of similar specs untill i find the sound i am looking for.
p.s, Its an Ibanez SA120 want a review?

T00DEEPBLUE
09-21-2012, 05:56 AM
I would much prefer EMG's. Detonators are cheap Seymour Duncan copies.

EMG and real Seymour Duncan are about the same in construction quality (both very good), choosing one other the other isn't quantifiable without tainting it under a subjective lens. They create their sound in very different ways, so you can't really compare one to the other anyway.

is it worth asking the question or am i likely to get opinions and banter? :l sorry guys, but alot of what i read on this site i find you really have to read between the lines!

Guitars in general are an extremely personal thing, so most of what you're going to be told is going to be down to the preference of the guy who's giving you the advice. Generally when you start getting guitars with decent construction quality and decent hardware (£700+), a lot of it is down to preference most of the time. Take everyone's advice with a pinch of salt, but also look out for trends in people's opinions as they can indicate guitars that you are more likely to like whatever your playing style may be.

HardcoreB52
09-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Detonators are actually a very under rated pup. It is like a distortion magnet with invader pole pieces. Pretty cool concept I think. Don't think just cuz it is made overseas it is not Duncan quality. Do some research on the SD forum and you will find some awesome sound files using the detonator. I have read the detonator really likes mahogany as well. The argument of active vs. passive here is really based on tonal preference. Check out the SD forum for sure. Hope this helps.

LP_CL
09-22-2012, 04:35 AM
old thread is old