the bridge on my fender strat keeps lifting up when i tighten the strings

PDA

View Full Version : the bridge on my fender strat keeps lifting up when i tighten the strings

Mr. Spooky
02-01-2009, 07:29 PM
http://www.guitarpartscanada.com/images/Gotoh1099.jpg

the bridge on my fender strat keeps lifting up when i tighten the strings

any idea of what could be the problem?

Survivalism
02-01-2009, 07:33 PM
...the strings are too tight?

decayingdave
02-01-2009, 07:35 PM
You're one of the several thousand people who own the fender strat on this site alone... the problem is, it's a starter guitar that's bound to malfunction as the parts are cheap, simple as. I'd say that if you're so attached to it, get it fixed, otherwise it might be time to move onto something abit more up market.

el_paso
02-01-2009, 07:35 PM
google floating bridge. I have a funny feeling thats what you think is a problem...

xjosheex :[
02-01-2009, 07:38 PM
String gauges to big.
more springs in the back.
tighten the springs.

mosh_face
02-01-2009, 07:39 PM
what a big fat troll you are decayingdave.

fender strats are good guitars, you need more tension in the opposite direction, therefore put another spring in the back cavity where there are springs

hazardmaster
02-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Same thing happened to me when I switched from 11-48 to 10-52. I had to get more springs added to hold the bridge down (ask a guitar shop to do this for you, cost me 10 bucks) but doing this means I am not allowed to use my tremolo arm anymore.

xjosheex :[
02-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Same thing happened to me when I switched from 11-48 to 10-52. I had to get more springs added to hold the bridge down (ask a guitar shop to do this for you, cost me 10 bucks) but doing this means I am not allowed to use my tremolo arm anymore.

Why?

Mr. Spooky
02-01-2009, 07:48 PM
yeah i tune the strings and they are fine but the i check them again the they're out of tune....the bridge looks all slanted..

rtfk101
02-01-2009, 08:55 PM
get a better guitar. anything that does that is not worth the money.

i advise against fenders unless they are american made and not a strat.

Axe Murderer
02-02-2009, 01:13 AM
Christ what a bunch of tools with no useful information. "The Strat sux..." Yeah, thats why the greatest players in history made history wielding a strat....

Strats are awesome. They havent been around this long by luck.

To answer your question, the strat bridge tension is ADJUSTABLE based on preference. Alls you have to to, is take off the back plastic rectangular plate. Inside you will see the tail end of your trem. and anchor points opposite of it.

Each of these anchor points can host a spring. The more springs, the more tension, the stiffer your trem will operate and the more "stable" the bridge will be. Less springs, less tension. If you changed strings, you more than likely altered the tension at the bridge. Add some springs to brings the bridge back down.

Simple.

leephan
02-02-2009, 07:01 AM
You're one of the several thousand people who own the fender strat on this site alone... the problem is, it's a starter guitar that's bound to malfunction as the parts are cheap, simple as. I'd say that if you're so attached to it, get it fixed, otherwise it might be time to move onto something abit more up market. :rolleyes: Stop being a smartass. There's nothing wrong with the guitar.

Just put an extra spring in the back.

Mr. Spooky
02-04-2009, 11:51 PM
ok i put an extra spring and fixed it right up

steven seagull
02-05-2009, 05:13 AM
You're one of the several thousand people who own the fender strat on this site alone... the problem is, it's a starter guitar that's bound to malfunction as the parts are cheap, simple as. I'd say that if you're so attached to it, get it fixed, otherwise it might be time to move onto something abit more up market.
you're a retard, a reported retard.

TS, you need to tighten the springs in the back cavity.

Logz
02-05-2009, 01:53 PM

shush n00b.
1) Dont be so cocky especially since you've only just joined
2) Read the god damn rules
3) Mods hate l33ts. So either shut up, or piss off.
4) Not everyone can afford a stupidly expensive guitar.

A good guitarist can make any guitar sound good. Maybe thats your problem.

steven seagull
02-05-2009, 02:14 PM
...and he has a Marshall MG :p:

diyguitarmods
02-05-2009, 10:21 PM
probably just need more springs in the back.

Andy Jarvis
02-12-2009, 01:53 PM
get a better guitar. anything that does that is not worth the money.

i advise against fenders unless they are american made and not a strat.

Actually it's because Many Strats, MIM and MIA are set up with a floating bridge, it's all in the literature that comes with the guitar the default position is with the back edge tilted up by 5mm, if you change string gague you need to adjust the tension by either adding or removing a spring, if you don't use trem then you can block it this solves all problems, there is nothing wrong with the guitars, a 50 year track record supports that.