Can you use nylon strings on a steel string guitar?

PDA

View Full Version : Can you use nylon strings on a steel string guitar?

Shredder Man
02-07-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm looking for different tones to play around with, so I want to try different string types. Can nylons be used on a steel string guitar? And are there other types of strings?

BenMags
02-07-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm sure nylon strings would give you a different tone. A good one? Well that's another story. Nylon strings tend to be a lot, lot thicker so getting it on would be a problem and the pick ups wouldn't even pick them up. Since pick ups are actually magnets, if there's no steel above it, there's nothing for the pick ups to recognize. If you want different tones, I would mess with tunings, string gauges, pick ups....
As for nylon strings, I wouldn't even waste my time.

Pac_man0123
02-07-2009, 09:07 PM
If it's an acoustic steel string then yeah it would probably work.

Synyster-A7x
02-07-2009, 09:16 PM
I thought that steel string guitars Use Ball wound strings. and I might be Wrong but nylon dosnt have the balls. so Your Basicly jut throwing a guitar cable down the horn of a tuba and wondering why It won't play out your amp.

SuperJoop
02-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Nylon strung guitars are designed for nylons strings and vicd versa, matching them to different designs is not good.

If you put normal steel strings on a nylon strung guitar, it would probably snap the neck. The truss rod would not cope with the strain. The strings on a nylon strung guitar are only coated with steel, the core is nylon. The tensions of the strings would be the variant.

carpepax
02-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Since this is the Electric Guitar section of UG, you should NOT use nylon strings on your electric guitar. Magnetic pickups require strings with some ferrous(iron) content to affect the magnetic field and generate a usable signal.

xander307
02-07-2009, 09:55 PM
sure steel sound better, but nylon are so easy to play with you can play anything you want on there.. an amateur could play Scarified on a nylon strung guitar... little exageration :p:

Kivarenn82
02-07-2009, 10:27 PM
you can get ball end classical strings. I seen (and used) a set once by GHS.

these would fit in your standard acoustic guitar.

jj1565
02-07-2009, 10:36 PM
right, but the tension release might kill your setup.

i suggest you try something in the middle. maybe coated light, elixers. something like that.