Licked Salt (Thrash/Prog/Post-Hardcore) .GP4&5

PDA

View Full Version : Licked Salt (Thrash/Prog/Post-Hardcore) .GP4&5

huevos
02-07-2009, 10:27 PM
This song has been finished for the longest time. I don't consider it complete, as that finale doesn't really close anything off.

Tell me what you think of this madness, as I haven't posted anything in a long while (due to my involvement with the Metalcore colab.)

The Spoon
02-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Very cool.

The Intro riff sounds really good, and i like the riff that goes into it after words. It has a lot of energy in it, it could be fun to play live.

The way the riff progresses at bar 24 is really good. The sliding part after this riff is kinda meh though.

I think maybe the use of a louder cymbal throughout a good portion of the song would make it sound epicer

Ooooh, bar 72 is really nice.

I really like the song from 72 on.

the bass could also be louder

Very nice job. 8.5/10

I finished that one song that i posted a while ago that you really liked. I wanna see what you think of it, link is in the sig

creeping.death!
02-07-2009, 11:15 PM
The intro riff and both following riffs are really good, but I'll have to agree with The Spoon on this one, the slide part is kinda weak; on the other hand, it's also a really good opportunity to put a bass lick or solo ;)
Riff at bar 72 is really nice, but it repeats itself to many times.
The rest of the song is pretty much flawless; I really liked the solo, especially from bar 121 onwards.

Overall, I give it 8.5.

SOADisdabest
02-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey man, sorry I've taken so long to get back to you, computer's being an assfaggot.

Really liking the first riff, upbeat, but not annoyingly happy. Riff after that at bar 14 is a good extension of the first one very intense sounding, sounds like something good to work out to. Riff at bar 24 could sound very awesome with the right vocals, love the pause at bar 30, I think this part was a little bit too repetitive though. I disagree with the people above about the sliding part though, I actually quite liked it, reminded me of Tool, and is another part of the song which would be awesome with the right vocals and guitar tone. Bass right before the recap intro sounds funny, but it's good, intro riff is also very awesome, and you elaborated on it very well in bar 72. Bar 92 reminded me of Mastodon, which is obviously a good thing. Bass from bar 101 was awesome I loved the fast part with the chords. Can't say I enjoyed the sweeps that much to be honest, I thought they were just alright. Finishes up well.

Overall 8/10 Sorry about the wall of text.

Seth Shadows
02-15-2009, 01:19 AM
You need to use a scale for the solo, and some rhythm please.
:facepalm:

Some of the riffs kinda blew chunks and seemed like filler.
And the Drums made me cringe, use a metronome.

However, it was good for the most part.
Besides the 32nd tremolo picking that didnt fit.
Edit it a bit, or let me if thats okay with you.

7/10

huevos
02-15-2009, 02:30 AM
I'll refute you on every point, as I feel that you are senile and particularly cynical (I saw your other crits, and not one useful point was made on your part).

You need to use a scale for the solo, and some rhythm please.
:facepalm:

Plenty of rhythm there. Music, in it's basic form, is mechanical. Our perceptions influence our views on it (and everything else). Rhythms don't have to be clean to be rhythms.
The scale that is used for the solo is the Db Octotonic scale. The rest of the song was a modular F maj/C# min.

Some of the riffs kinda blew chunks and seemed like filler.
And the Drums made me cringe, use a metronome.

GP and Tuxguitar automatically fix the rhymthic notation. I don't see how a metronome would help. Also, the drumming for this song is expressive and reactive to the guitar lines.
I did get carried away with some of the blast beats though.
Another thing, have you ever listened to Meshuggah or Sikth? My crystal ball says no.

Some of the riffs were filler, you got me there. Actually, that riff starting at bar 24 is the only filler.

However, it was good for the most part.
Thank you.

Besides the 32nd tremolo picking that didnt fit.
Edit it a bit, or let me if thats okay with you.

7/10

Go ahead and mess with it. I don't mind at all. Don't mess with my syncopated riff at measure 72 though. It's easily my favorite part.

Jam55
12-11-2009, 05:11 AM
hm its not really my cuppa tea. Found it a bit too repetative.

I like the riff that starts at 72 but i think it goes on too long and the 5/4 bars are pretty pointless imo. good ideas tho.

the madness starting at 118 is mint and all the way to the end from there i liked. Got some really cool lead ideas with the jogging rhythm and jumpy lead

The riffs at the start have promise, i just got a bit bored when the same sort of idea was repeated in a steady chug.

Maybe its not my kind of music but yerr i think it could be mint with some edits, esp cutting down riff length and adding some smooth variety like you did with the cool leads starting at 118.
C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1243688