Downpour - Torrential Torment {GP5, GP4, MIDI}

PDA

View Full Version : Downpour - Torrential Torment {GP5, GP4, MIDI}

Seth Shadows
02-09-2009, 05:28 PM
I need your help.
This is the weakest song on the album and I can't figure out what to do about it.
It's not as heavy as the rest of the songs and certainly not as catchy.
I don't want a filler song on our debut album so please help me out.
What would you change?

C4C

-Seth Sanders

mosherhamish
02-09-2009, 05:43 PM
eh i think its pretty awsum but after the melodic interlude type bit (starting at the 76th bar) i think the riffs to sludgy sounding i think somthing more melodic, or at least slightly simple is needed.

personally i would do a "higher up" harmony on the lead type part at bar 122.

and for that solo you have some crazy skills . . . . .
just my input - i really liked it :)

Seth Shadows
02-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Hey, Thanks.
The "Melodic Interlude" bit is the chorus.
I was actually thinking about changing the Riff at bar 76.
The Idea about bar 122 sounds like a great idea, thanks!.

'Crazy Skills'? I actually need to change most of the solo due to parts of it just being plain wimpy imo, but thanks.

mosherhamish
02-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Hey, Thanks.
The "Melodic Interlude" bit is the chorus.
I was actually thinking about changing the Riff at bar 76.
The Idea about bar 122 sounds like a great idea, thanks!.

'Crazy Skills'? I actually need to change most of the solo due to parts of it just being plain wimpy imo, but thanks.

haha whatever you say

i realised it was the chorus after a couple of listens sorry about that.

i still think the solo sounds fairly insane . . . .

SOADisdabest
02-10-2009, 12:55 AM
Holy ****! That solo was incredible! If that's the weakest part of the album, I'm very keen to hear the rest.

Seth Shadows
02-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks, I finished it and remade it :]<3

DiminishedFifth
02-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Alright... i'm gonna be brutally honest. I didn't really like it that much. Here's why:

Like you said, it's not that catchy. Nothing about it really grabbed my attention, except the thing from bars 60-75. That part really seems thought out, and, for the most part, tastefully placed.

The best parts of the song are definitely the chorus, and the intro and the thing from bars 60-75. Those are the best.

How many times you use them though makes me dislike them by the end. But that's probably because there's no vocals in it, so i'll let it slide.

The solo... while it was very complex, it reminds me of Dragonforce. That's not a good thing (for me). It just seems to wankerish, and gives the feel that little thought was put into it aside from "How fast can I play here, and put some awesome string skipping here". And yes. The string skipping thing impressed me at bar 202.

What's the point of the eight string guitar anyways? In my opinion, it sounds better without it. Especially in the clean interlude. It just seemed to muddy things up. If you added a good 8 string breakdown though, that would be killer.

I dunno why, but the drums throughout kind of bothered me. I think it's the frequency of the snare and that you use the electric snare... but that's ok.

Overall, I didn't really like it that much, but it's definitely not a bad song. Alot of good ides here, but no used in a way I would like. The verses would probably sound alot better with vocals over it though. If it were me, I would just scrap the song, or delay releasing your album and work on it. Or save it for later when you have better ideas.

I give it a 6.5/10. Sorry man, I think it needs some work.

C4C?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1062708