T&C Mini-Competition: Solos

PDA

View Full Version : T&C Mini-Competition: Solos

icronic
02-12-2009, 04:17 PM
It's been a while since I've seen any competitions going on here, so I thought it would be fun to have a really quick and easy one.

The Competition:

A short guitar solo of any style 20-30 bars long or roughly 45 seconds to a minute.

The only other requirement is that at least one rhythm track, either guitar, bass, piano or synth. Drums are optional, but recommended if you want to do something rock or metal inspired.

The deadline will be Feb 25th which should be way more than enough time. So if you're interested in participating or judging just reply here and I'll add you to the list.

One final note. If you're going to do a full on shred solo, it should be something seriously special. Just blasting away on super speed sweep arpeggios and legato for 20 bars doesn't display an aptitude for timing, phrasing, melody or rhythm, and those four things are really what this is all about.

Judges:
DiminishedFifth
Imperial Throg

Participants:
icronic
Madzää
Its_Rock77
WyvernOmega
reaper_x
B00bs
Seth Shadows
ctb
lanzaa
adaeha
edgespear
gonzaw
Metallica-EX50
The Grem
Nemesis@Germany

Deadline: Feb 25

Madzää
02-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Count me in. I´ll do my best :)

But, a question:

Can the piece contain more than 3 rhythm tracks, or is it just solo-based with 1-2 rhythm track?

icronic
02-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Count me in. I´ll do my best :)

But, a question:

Can the piece contain more than 3 rhythm tracks, or is it just solo-based with 1-2 rhythm track?

You can do as many as you want. I just wanted to make sure people actually had a rhythm part instead of just submitting just a solo without any backing whatsoever.

Its_Rock77
02-12-2009, 10:40 PM
I might be in. I'll try and fit it into my schedule. ;)

WyvernOmega
02-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Count me in; the only part of songwriting I'm good at is solos :D

DiminishedFifth
02-13-2009, 12:31 AM
Count me in... I may or may not actually have enough time to write one though. :(

reaper_x
02-13-2009, 02:08 AM
Im in! ;D

B00bs
02-13-2009, 02:10 AM
This guy right here wants to do it.

*Points to self*

reaper_x
02-13-2009, 02:31 AM
Infact, here's mine.

LOL, you can tell I made it in 10 minutes :P

Madzää
02-13-2009, 09:00 AM
This is my piece. Here´s the explanation for it, so Judges, please read this.

My piece is a Latin Jazz AABA piece. The A Part features a 12 bar scheme with lots of II V I progressions in the A Theme, which has a modal interchange from G# Dorian to G# Phyrigian back over an outside note to G# Phyrigian. The B Part is a modulation to B Dorian (4 bars) to F# Dorian (3 Bars) with an interchange to F# Phyrigian. Please listen to this Piece in Midi, but for you "I always use RSE"-Fanatics, I put a RSE version into my zip folder. But keep in mind Midi gives you the best sound for this piece. :)

ctb
02-13-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm in! :cool:

Its_Rock77
02-13-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm 100% In.
Seth Shadows.

normally, for these competitions you must create a brand new piece rather than just taking what song you have may fit the comp or submitting, like you did, a solo from a song you've already written.
:shrug:

icronic
02-13-2009, 02:32 PM
normally, for these competitions you must create a brand new piece rather than just taking what song you have may fit the comp or submitting, like you did, a solo from a song you've already written.
:shrug:

Yeah, sorry never mentioned that, but it should be something new, or at least something that's never been posted here before. Preferably new though.

I've amended the length a bit, because really 20-30 could be any length depending on the tempo, so really what I'd like to see is stuff around the 45 second to 1 minute mark. A little over or a little under is okay, but the idea is to keep these short and sweet.

Madzää
02-13-2009, 02:35 PM
So, my roughly 1,15 minute piece won´t fit to the description then? :(

lanzaa
02-13-2009, 02:43 PM
this should be interesting... im in

edit: ok its done. i think this is a relatively simple piece to play

i thought it came out pretty well

i threw in a random intro because i didnt really know how to start it and i didnt want it to come head on.

i also think the solo peaked at a few points and i noted it in the tab.

i also recorded it if anyone wants to listen to it

Seth Shadows
02-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Yeah, sorry never mentioned that, but it should be something new, or at least something that's never been posted here before. Preferably new though.

I've amended the length a bit, because really 20-30 could be any length depending on the tempo, so really what I'd like to see is stuff around the 45 second to 1 minute mark. A little over or a little under is okay, but the idea is to keep these short and sweet.
Alright.
Noted.

icronic
02-13-2009, 03:28 PM
So, my roughly 1,15 minute piece won´t fit to the description then? :(

You're definitely pushing the limit with yours but I don't really see the point in being super restrictive as long as nobody goes too far in excess. So yours does fit, but barely anything more than that and we're venturing into the area of short songs instead of short solos. :)

adaeha
02-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Well, guess I might as well jump in I guess.

The piece is about 1:02, so it should be alright I guess. I've been trying to get away from the pointless wanka... uh I mean shredding that I'm used to :peace: Slower and more melodic... and simpler. Kinda the chick magnet solos :P

Oh, and theres a slide in there that can sound dodgy in midi sometimes, just ta let ya know :P

icronic
02-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Mines done, and I think it's the basic definition of simplicity. Two tracks and about 44 seconds long. I'm not sure how it'll fare against the more complex stuff here but I'm very pleased with it. I think it's probably one of the most melodic solos I've written in fact.

Like adaeha said for his, some of the slides are a little dodgy especially bar 14. It sounds great on a guitar, but GP just doesn't like that kind of stuff. As a result I've got picking added where there shouldn't be any. Bars 9, 10, 14 and 17 all have added picking, when in reality I'm playing them much more legato and liquid sounding.

We still need some judges too

DiminishedFifth
02-15-2009, 03:15 PM
i'll take myself out of the competition and be a judge if that's ok. What are we judging on anyways? Complexity? Creativity?

icronic
02-16-2009, 02:10 AM
i'll take myself out of the competition and be a judge if that's ok. What are we judging on anyways? Complexity? Creativity?

Creativity, melody, memorability, phrasing, and that kind of stuff. Because all of that can be applied to solos that are simple and melodic, or solos that are super technical.

edgespear
02-16-2009, 05:33 AM
Hmm can anyone join in with this? If so I have a solo, but I'm not sure where to host it? Will Host-a.net be okay?

Imperial Throg
02-16-2009, 10:15 AM
So if I were to judge, what exactly would I have to do? just score each one?

icronic
02-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Hmm can anyone join in with this? If so I have a solo, but I'm not sure where to host it? Will Host-a.net be okay?

You can attach zip files to your posts here. So just zip up your GP file and attach it to your post.

So if I were to judge, what exactly would I have to do? just score each one?

Yeah, basically judge on a 1-10 scale and post a few thoughts about each one. You'd be looking for things like a good melody, good phrasing, how creative and memorable it is.

edgespear
02-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Okay I think it's worked...
I hope it's okay, I never really knew what to do with it so it'll be cool to see how it fairs in this competition...

Imperial Throg
02-16-2009, 04:38 PM
I'll judge then if you want, as long as everyone puts GP4 or midi in there.

edgespear
02-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Oh yeah sorry I'll stick a GP4 in there

gonzaw
02-17-2009, 01:17 AM
Oh my God, how could I've not seen this?

Pheww, at least I have till 25 to do it...
I'm going away the 22-23, but I can finish it till then...

Hmm, I mean, I'm in.

Can we make a competition about our already made solos sometime? You know, just give a 2 day timeline to gather your solos and then judge quickly, or something..

Well, I have to get inspired for this, but knowing it's a competition is inspiration enough (I can't seem to get things done when I'm alone writing).

gonzaw
02-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Finished it...

I did all of it (except backing track) today, so I could not improve it or anything...

Yeah, basically judge on a 1-10 scale and post a few thoughts about each one. You'd be looking for things like a good melody, good phrasing, how creative and memorable it is.

No "Playability" section huh? :p:

Metallica-EX50
02-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Here's my entry.

One minute long, lots of slidey crap.. and its not to shreddy either, just vibrato and expression based really.

I like it.. enjoy!

The Grem
02-20-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm in too.

Should have mine up tomorrow.

Edit: Here it jiz

A little C minor diddy with splashes of dorian for spice. Don't use RSE as it seems to throw off the timing of the bass and drums. :shrug:

ctb
02-21-2009, 07:20 PM
I still need to do mine. :|
Tomorrow I'm SO doing it.

Nemesis@Germany
02-23-2009, 02:16 PM
i'm in.

here's my post:

ctb
02-23-2009, 06:41 PM
I think it turned out poo, to be honest.

.GP5
.GP4
.mid

icronic
02-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Anyone else up for judging? One more would be nice.

AngrySockMonkey
02-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Here's my entry :D !

I've never made anything remotely close to this before, and in my opinion it came out pretty good! Probably one of the shortest ones, tell me if it's too short and I'll try to expand upon it.

EDIT: I lengthened it a little, kind of like an outro or something lol, anyways it should be around the length of the others. PLZ TAKE A LISTEN AGAIN!

ctb
02-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Deadline Today

Maxico
02-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Ok here is my little solo. Hope you like it.

St.Loony
02-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Hope it isn't to late.

I have included GP5, GP4 AND MIDI for you all :cheers:

Seth Shadows
02-25-2009, 08:44 PM
I couldnt shorten it.
It's a flamenco Solo, It's about 1:45 :(.
If I'm DQ-ed, I understand.

EDIT: Added GP5 + Midi

lanzaa
02-25-2009, 10:19 PM
thats bears an awful alot resemblance to that a7x song whose name i cant remember

that being said. i liked that solo and thus i liked this one

Seth Shadows
02-25-2009, 10:52 PM
thats bears an awful alot resemblance to that a7x song whose name i cant remember

that being said. i liked that solo and thus i liked this one
You mean Sidewinder?
Due to it using a common flamenco Riff?
John Petrucci and many many other guitarists used it as well.
It's just a simple flamenco riff over a D minor chord progression.

Its_Rock77
02-26-2009, 01:44 AM
haha, I guess I'm out of this one.

icronic
02-26-2009, 12:09 PM
haha, I guess I'm out of this one.

You can always judge... again :)

Anyway time is now up.

gonzaw
02-26-2009, 02:52 PM
So are there some judges yet?

display an aptitude for timing, phrasing, melody or rhythm, ...

Aren't all of those part of phrasing?

Or do you mean how we like each part individually?

icronic
02-26-2009, 06:46 PM
So are there some judges yet?

Aren't all of those part of phrasing?

Or do you mean how we like each part individually?

Yeah there are already two judges but a third never hurts :)

And I guess you're right, but I kind of see them as different aspects of the same thing.

lanzaa
02-26-2009, 08:51 PM
You mean Sidewinder?
Due to it using a common flamenco Riff?
John Petrucci and many many other guitarists used it as well.
It's just a simple flamenco riff over a D minor chord progression.

oh.

anyways it was cool

Its_Rock77
02-27-2009, 01:25 AM
if you guys really need someone, I will rank them.

however, I really don't feel like writing stuff about each one. so if you just want a ranking, I'll give you a third opinion. and I promise, I will have good reason if I do that ;) It won't be random. I just don't want to spend a bunch of time listing strengths and weaknesses.

tell me if you need me.

ctb
02-27-2009, 11:41 AM
I think we should all (or, those who haven't forgotten about the thread!) rate each-other's solos. :p:

lanzaa
02-27-2009, 07:00 PM
I think we should all (or, those who haven't forgotten about the thread!) rate each-other's solos. :p:

meh. i dont like that idea

St.Loony
02-27-2009, 07:52 PM
meh. i dont like that idea

Me neither

Imperial Throg
02-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Creativity, melody, memorability, phrasing
I'm rating mainly the solo not the rhythm, even if I do comment on rhythm! Tried not to compare- as much as humanly possible.

Seth Shadows: Really like the flow, complicated, but not silly. Rhythm bit compliments well. Like the harmonies.
Cre 7
Mel 6
Mem 8
Phr 9
tot 30

St. Loony: Starts a bit sudden. Nice fills type solo. Bar 17 doesn't sound right? Good though.
Cre 6
Mel 8
Mem 6
Phr 8
tot 28

Maxico: Nice soulful? solo. Awful lot of bending. Like the moving bass part.
Cre 7
Mel 8
Mem 6
Phr 7
tot 28

angrysockmonkey: Only soloing for half the solo? Like the repeated themes. Memorable melodies there.
Cre 4
Mel 7
Mem 7
Phr 5
tot 23

ctb: Pretty cool, can imagine hearing it in an improv somewhere. Piano solo seems a bit forced though. Good use of rests.
Cre 7
Mel 7
Mem 6
Phr 10
tot 30

Nemesis: Same tuning as mines atm! Drum based. Pretty crazy! Solo compliments other instruments well, comes in at the right times(Phrasing)
Cre 6
Mel 5
Mem 5
Phr 8
tot 24

Grem: Nice rhythm. Could have used repeated melodies.
Cre 6
Mel 6
Mem 5
Phr 6
tot 23

Metallica-EX50: Sounds like Testament. Harmony at some bits a bit off, but clever phrasing at times. Had to listen a few times to make my mind up.
Cre 7
Mel 6
Mem 6
Phr 8
tot 27

Gonzaw: Bass didn't really go I thought, had to mute it to really hear the solo. Solo stops and starts a bit, although at other times timing is pretty good.
Cre 5
Mel 6
Mem 5
Phr 7
tot 23

edgespear: Liked the feel of it. Maybe sometimes a bit repetitive, and some bits a bit off.
Cre 6
Mel 7
Mem 7
Phr 6
tot 26

icronic: Again nice feel. Solo maybe a bit jittery at times but nice and melodic.
Cre 6
Mel 8
Mem 7
Phr 7
tot 28

adaeha: good melodies, if maybe not too original. Not really fan of trem picking.
Cre 6
Mel 9
Mem 6
Phr 8
tot 29

lanzaa: Intro not really going with the rest of it. Solo complimented rhythm really well. Maybe a bit boring playing the same not over and over- then again at trem picking.
Cre 7
Mel 7
Mem 6
Phr 8
tot 28

Madzaa: Intro maybe unneccessary, awful sudden, nice phrasing. Liked upright bass part.
Cre 6
Mel 8
Mem 6
Phr 9
tot 29

reaper_x: not sure about very start, but good melodies throughout. I like 13-17.
Cre 5
Mel 7
Mem 8
Phr 7
tot 27

It was all good stuff though (and I'm not just saying that). Looks like its between the 30-pointers with me, up to other judge for winner then!

Its_Rock77
02-28-2009, 02:03 AM
maybe rather than completely disregarding the rhythm, maybe the other judges should create a score for how well the solo compliments the rhythm possibly? for like 5 extra points.

Imperial Throg
02-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah. I kindof meant that if it was a bad rhythm I wasn't taking away points, or a good rhythm wan't adding extra, but the complimentariness is kindof under phrasing isn't it?

Its_Rock77
02-28-2009, 01:41 PM
what do you mean by "under phrasing"?

I'm just saying rate them on nothing but how well the rhythm tracks work with the solo.
and then all the solo stuff of course.

icronic
02-28-2009, 02:18 PM
what do you mean by "under phrasing"?

I'm just saying rate them on nothing but how well the rhythm tracks work with the solo.
and then all the solo stuff of course.

I don't know man, I think the way he did it was fine.

A rhythm track will ultimately effect every single aspect of a solo, from the phrasing, to the melody, and even how creative you can get with it. So if the rhythm is bad, chances are it's going to effectively lower the solo scores in those areas.

ctb
02-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Me neitherFair enough. :p: :p:

And, thank you Imperial Throg. :)

Maxico
03-01-2009, 03:00 PM
[...]I'm rating [...]

Thank you very much, sir! :)

gonzaw
03-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Gonzaw: Bass didn't really go I thought, had to mute it to really hear the solo. Solo stops and starts a bit, although at other times timing is pretty good.
Cre 5
Mel 6
Mem 5
Phr 7
tot 23

Hmm, the stop thing is basicly there because of the backing track (those dissonant isolated bars)...
I couldn't really find a better way to fill that gap without changing the backing track...

Seth Shadows
03-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Fair enough. :p: :p:

And, thank you Imperial Throg. :)

Failure.
You tied with me, so far?

icronic
03-04-2009, 01:33 PM
I couldnt shorten it.
It's a flamenco Solo, It's about 1:45 :(.
If I'm DQ-ed, I understand.

EDIT: Added GP5 + Midi

Pretty awesome solo, although I've got to ask... Can you come even remotely close to playing it, and if so are you one of those freaks born with an extra finger on each hand? :)

I figured it'd be fun to see if I could actually play it, and I've got to say you've written what must be the most brutally awkward yet not totally impossible to play solo I've ever seen here.

Seth Shadows
03-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Pretty awesome solo, although I've got to ask... Can you come even remotely close to playing it, and if so are you one of those freaks born with an extra finger on each hand? :)

I figured it'd be fun to see if I could actually play it, and I've got to say you've written what must be the most brutally awkward yet not totally impossible to play solo I've ever seen here.
Yes, I can play this.
I can play anything I've written.
I have 4 fingers on each hand and I make full use of them all.
Sometimes I 10 finger tap (with thumbs).
It's fun.

I can put finger markings on it if you wish.

icronic
03-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Yes, I can play this.
I can play anything I've written.
I have 4 fingers on each hand and I make full use of them all.
Sometimes I 10 finger tap (with thumbs).
It's fun.

I can put finger markings on it if you wish.

I'd love to see that actually. If for no reason other than to see how close I'm getting.

This is also proving to be an unfortunate reminder of how much my picado sucks.

Imperial Throg
03-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Sorry if I'm being impatient or whatever, but what now?

icronic
03-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Sorry if I'm being impatient or whatever, but what now?

Scores are as you've left them, unless the other judge actually gets around to judging. I sent a message his way about it a while back, but so far nothing.

Niko_k
03-25-2009, 01:32 AM
Here's my shot.

EDIT: LOL didn't realize it was bumped.