Old School Death Metal (GP5, GP4, Midi)(C4C)

PDA

View Full Version : Old School Death Metal (GP5, GP4, Midi)(C4C)

Ripping Corpse
02-16-2009, 03:20 PM
something i've been writing, far from perfect but i'd like some opinions on it so far :D

Jarusafes
02-16-2009, 03:49 PM
First off, that was an amazing solo. It flowed perfectly with the backing drums and guitar, and just sounded great. I loved that riff you had at bar 96. I also liked the tempo change from the intro to the verse section (if thats what you'd want to call it). I think vocals would go great over this song. The only thing I would change about it is maybe add a few more riffs. But thats all up to you :) I really enjoyed it and I would love to hear this recorded, PM me if you do.

Overall 9/10

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1067678

Ripping Corpse
02-16-2009, 04:08 PM
First off, that was an amazing solo. It flowed perfectly with the backing drums and guitar, and just sounded great. I loved that riff you had at bar 96. I also liked the tempo change from the intro to the verse section (if thats what you'd want to call it). I think vocals would go great over this song. The only thing I would change about it is maybe add a few more riffs. But thats all up to you :) I really enjoyed it and I would love to hear this recorded, PM me if you do.

Overall 9/10

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1067678

thanks, i agree with that i will try to add some more riffs.

i'll crit yours and anyone elses when i check back to this page tomorrow :)

EDIT: by the way, did you think i should make the song longer with more riffs or replace some of the repeats?

ReinventingEvil
02-16-2009, 05:05 PM
At first, the simplicity of it all seemed boring and not worth a listen (granted, I just skimmed through the tab.) In all honesty, the riffs weren't the best, but dude...the drumming saved everything. Those riffs, combined with the drums, made the song man. Plus the solo kicked ass. Switch it up, up the technicality of the riffs (make it interesting) and you'll have somethig truly, truly epic.

Ripping Corpse
02-16-2009, 06:02 PM
At first, the simplicity of it all seemed boring and not worth a listen (granted, I just skimmed through the tab.) In all honesty, the riffs weren't the best, but dude...the drumming saved everything. Those riffs, combined with the drums, made the song man. Plus the solo kicked ass. Switch it up, up the technicality of the riffs (make it interesting) and you'll have somethig truly, truly epic.

thanks for the crit. i get what you're saying about the simplicity, but this is meant to be a song influenced by the likes of autopsy and obituary, hardly the most technical bands. i wasnt shooting for an insane spawn of possession style epic. i think some people like yourself will think it isnt complicated enough, but some will dig the more old school approach, you cant please everyone. ill think about maybe adding some extra notes in the verse riff, i agree that might get a bit boring with the repeats.

its fine if thats your opinion, just making it clear what i wanted the song to be like. have you got anything you want me to crit in return?

Slaytanic1993
02-18-2009, 06:00 PM
I can REALLY hear the Autopsy influence and Obituary influence.

I loved the riffs, very old school and classic sounding. I love the cannon-pounding of the fast drums, y'know like old school Cannibal when they were called "artillery blasts".

8/10.

I have a melodic death piece in the works, I'll PM you when I finish it or put up a WIP.

Ripping Corpse
02-18-2009, 06:05 PM
I can REALLY hear the Autopsy influence and Obituary influence.

I loved the riffs, very old school and classic sounding. I love the cannon-pounding of the fast drums, y'know like old school Cannibal when they were called "artillery blasts".

8/10.

I have a melodic death piece in the works, I'll PM you when I finish it or put up a WIP.

yeah ok thanks man :D

valdean
02-19-2009, 03:51 AM
I love it.
Just wanted to say that now. I'll give you a better review when I come home.

AngrySockMonkey
02-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Nice man, pretty simple, but you did an amazing job for what you were trying to achieve. I think the chuggy-er riff could use some more variation (no GP where I currently am xD). Other then that I think you did a good job.

Looking forward to more stuff from you in the future man!
\m/!

valdean
02-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Okay.
I am an old school death metal fan myself.
The intro is a little bit too long in my opinion, but good none the less.
The next riff is basic, but good.
The next is really good. I love the power behind it, combined with the drums.
Then the other riff really catches on, I like it.
The next one, you should make the notes into thirty-second notes, because they sound better that way in guitar pro. It's really good though.
Back to the good riff again. Nice drum work here.
The drums saves the 8/4 riff. The palm muted thing is good.
The solo is awesome. I don't think if I would ever be able to play it, but it sounds pretty damn good.
Bar 139 fits in well. The next riff I have already commented on.
The outro fits though.
Really good overall.

Crit mine, would you?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18811379#post18811379

Ripping Corpse
02-27-2009, 04:04 PM
made a change, just came up with a riff and thought it could go in to replace the bit starting at bar 103. working on some variation on the main riff as well.

tell me what you think.

djn419
02-27-2009, 06:17 PM
the beginning of the song reminded me a bit of "Pull the Plug" by Death, which is not a bad thing. all of the riffs are straightforward, though the tremolo riff at bar 81 feels cluttered and somewhat out of place. perhaps change the notes to a lower pitch. the solo i wasn't so big on, it seemed a bit forced despite the fact that i enjoy amazing fretwork. the drums are powerful and carry the riffs perfectly. and the "artillery blasts" as somebody called them certainly gave a strong, pounding feel to the riff it was under. overall, i'd give the song a 8.5/10.

crit mine please? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076996

Ripping Corpse
03-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Improved version now uploaded, changed the structure around a bit, tweaked a couple of riffs and added in a more thrashy kind of possessed influenced riff to enhance the old school further.

Tell me what you think - c4c

:)

EDIT: Oh and by the way, a couple of the transitions between riffs sound a little off here, but on real guitar they sound much smoother. And ignore the bass. I want to make sure i've got the structure and riffs right before i do that so just keep it on 0 volume.

irishmatt1992
03-13-2009, 04:16 PM
intro is too long, repetetive and boring

Ripping Corpse
03-13-2009, 05:29 PM
intro is too long, repetetive and boring

is that the only bit you listened to?