Playing your guitar through your PC?

PDA

View Full Version : Playing your guitar through your PC?

JWW83
02-23-2009, 03:10 PM
So I just picked up my first guitar ( Fender Deluxe Lone Star ) and I'm itching to hear it scream, just one problem though, I haven't purchased an amp yet. (I'm still undecided and also saving some cash to buy something decent ) What I've heard though is that you can use your PC and speakers as an amp combo. My soundcard does have a jack for instruments, but unfortuneately no software that I know of. ( It's a Creative labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum card in case anyone is wondering )

What I was wondering then is if there was any free software out there to use to play your guitar through your PC? I'm not looking for something with effects or looping ( but it would be a plus ) but rather just something so that I can hear my guitar through my PC.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge they can share on this subject?

Thanks in advance for any help!

gibder
02-23-2009, 03:20 PM
just plug your guitar in the line in jack of your sound card

cfhwarhead
02-23-2009, 03:21 PM
You got a lonestar deluxe as your first guitar? Or just a new guitar.

classrock77
02-23-2009, 03:21 PM
id learn a song first.

JWW83
02-23-2009, 03:42 PM
just plug your guitar in the line in jack of your sound card

Well yeah, I know this part. But in order for me to hear the guitar won't I need software to process the signal?

You got a lonestar deluxe as your first guitar? Or just a new guitar.

First guitar. Hoping it wasn't a bad choice.

quAck91
02-23-2009, 05:04 PM
just plug it in and activate the line in / input of your sound card, you`ll hear your guitar but you`ll just get clean sounds

Musical frog
02-23-2009, 05:43 PM
If you have a stereo you can get a chord that has one end patch chord the other end plugs into your guitar. You can get it for about 5-10 bucks at radio shack just plug the patch chords into aux or tape on the stereo and plug the guitar and play. I do this sometimes when my amp isn't at my house.

The Paperclip
02-23-2009, 06:03 PM
First guitar. Hoping it wasn't a bad choice.

I certainly wouldn't say so, it's rather good, but I hope you like playing or that's an expensive experiment. Also you'll want to get a good amp too or it'll sound the same as a $150 Squier Strat.

And I know this probably won't help you, as you're probably on windows, but for anyone reading this thread I'll point out that Mac users can use Garageband (comes free with OS X, and is useless for everything other than this) as a simple but accessible amp simulator by using the Line in method described by others.

JWW83
02-23-2009, 06:55 PM
I certainly wouldn't say so, it's rather good, but I hope you like playing or that's an expensive experiment. Also you'll want to get a good amp too or it'll sound the same as a $150 Squier Strat.

And I know this probably won't help you, as you're probably on windows, but for anyone reading this thread I'll point out that Mac users can use Garageband (comes free with OS X, and is useless for everything other than this) as a simple but accessible amp simulator by using the Line in method described by others.

I've always wanted to play, so I figured if I'm going to start, I'm going to start right. I read a lot in to guitars before making my choice. The HSS setup is what I was after and it has great pickups from reviews I've read so I decided on this one. As for an amp, I agree completely. Amps are as important as your guitar considering they're your conduit to the sound you hear. So I'm still torn between a few choices, mainly a Marshall combo with 2x 50w 10" speakers, or a Fender FM with similar wattage, or even a Line 6 spider jam simply because of all the effects, built in backing tracks and great loop capabilities. Decisions, decisions... I also plan on getting the Boss GT - 10 once I can afford it. So much I want, so little money. :D

mightywarrior
02-23-2009, 08:09 PM
http://www.peavey.com/products/revalver/

The demo is free I guess.

But if you're looking for a v-amp I'd suggest Guitar Rig 3 since you also get a pedal that can handle any effect you want.

MarauderNL
02-24-2009, 04:24 AM
Hey there, I tried hooking my dad's old semi-electric to my pc (with an X-fi Gamer). I did manage to get a signal, but no actual sound. That could well be because it's REALLY damn old.
There was an article somewhere on UG about this, I think. I have it in my bookmarks at home, but I'm at work right now!
But yeah, it definitely should be possible. Just plug it into the mic jack.

Harvey Birdman
02-24-2009, 04:45 AM
I sometimes use my Vox Amplug AC30, its a headphone mini-amp that plugs directly into the guitar jack.

Although its meant for headphones, you can also run it directly into the headphone socket of your PC speakers. I've got some great Logitech speakers and it sounds surprisingly good as an amp alternative, and best of all there is no software to worry about.

JWW83
02-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks for all the tips, it's much appreciated. I was also looking over that Revalver software, it looks pretty crazy with all the customization you can do with it. Almost a bit too much with mock-rewiring the circuit, but eh, if you have the time I guess.

engineering08
11-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Has anyone ever tried plugging a bass guitar into one of these cards (creative x-fi plat)? I dont want to over load anything and want to start playing again but I do not have my amp at home. I would think it would be okbut just want to check.

Thanks
j

Psykopaten123
11-26-2009, 02:12 AM
Amplitube, Guitar Rig or Revalver I'd guess. None of them are free (only demo-versions), but someway they found theirselves a way into my computer anyways... ;). They're all actually pretty great software though.

I control my guitar sound via my computer in Gearbox, but to use that you have to own a Line6 pedal/pod of some kind.

The_Lonely_Soul
11-26-2009, 02:21 AM
Tis a serious first guitar. Hope you find a killer amp what style you going 4?

zhille
11-26-2009, 03:17 AM
There are several free guitar VST effects, and they can run in any DAW software pack.

Before that, better download ASIO4ALL drivers, they work pretty fine, I can run the VST, even Amplitube Metal on a 1.2 GHZ 8 year old PC...and get no latency.

Personally, I'd really recommend you get yourself the mega-cheap, very small(~4MB) and very very VERY good Reaper 3, and just scour the net for free guitar VST's! Then you just load the VST as an FX on the track you armed, with monitoring on.

Reaper is awesome, and very simple to get into, with almost all the MIDI, Audio, VST functionality of Sonar and similar programs that will eat your hard drive space. You can record in it, make bass and drum parts...export to MP3...

There are several excellent effect/preamp/amp vst plugins and here's the list I use, and they're all free, just google them:

Preampus C-15 Metal - Preamp
Poulin LeCab - Cabinet simulation
EasyNY - NY style parallel compression
Ronald Passion Preamps - there are three of them
SHEPPI free spatial enhancer - a reverb type spatial effect, very cool

These are some of them, I can't remember some more, like flanger, chorus and similar...but as you enter the world of free VST stuff, you'll find your way :)

As for the paid stuff - try Amplitube Fender edition, I guarantee you, you'll get so addicted you'll buy it! Since you had money to buy that guitar...heh :) And of course Guitar Rig 4.

Hope this helps, I've been playing on my PC for ages, I borrowed my crappy 15W amp...

NecroMaster
11-26-2009, 06:11 PM
There are several free guitar VST effects, and they can run in any DAW software pack.

Before that, better download ASIO4ALL drivers, they work pretty fine, I can run the VST, even Amplitube Metal on a 1.2 GHZ 8 year old PC...and get no latency.

Personally, I'd really recommend you get yourself the mega-cheap, very small(~4MB) and very very VERY good Reaper 3, and just scour the net for free guitar VST's! Then you just load the VST as an FX on the track you armed, with monitoring on.

Reaper is awesome, and very simple to get into, with almost all the MIDI, Audio, VST functionality of Sonar and similar programs that will eat your hard drive space. You can record in it, make bass and drum parts...export to MP3...

There are several excellent effect/preamp/amp vst plugins and here's the list I use, and they're all free, just google them:

Preampus C-15 Metal - Preamp
Poulin LeCab - Cabinet simulation
EasyNY - NY style parallel compression
Ronald Passion Preamps - there are three of them
SHEPPI free spatial enhancer - a reverb type spatial effect, very cool

These are some of them, I can't remember some more, like flanger, chorus and similar...but as you enter the world of free VST stuff, you'll find your way :)

As for the paid stuff - try Amplitube Fender edition, I guarantee you, you'll get so addicted you'll buy it! Since you had money to buy that guitar...heh :) And of course Guitar Rig 4.

Hope this helps, I've been playing on my PC for ages, I borrowed my crappy 15W amp...

This man knows of what he speaks :)
I tried the demo for Amplitube Fender, wow!

Chris_Basener
11-26-2009, 08:58 PM
If you want a reasonably priced, good quality audio Interface with some of the best sounding modeling software I'd recommend to check out the POD Studio Interfaces from Line 6.

They connect via USB and are dedicated for the use with Guitar. The software that comes with it has loads of Amps and Effects and will turn your Mac of PC into, well, an Amp...

The real advantage over any of the aforementioned Plug Ins and Software Solutions is the fact that Line 6 Interfaces have (almost) Zero Latency which will make for way better feeling when playing through and recording into your PC.

NecroMaster
11-27-2009, 06:39 AM
The real advantage over any of the aforementioned Plug Ins and Software Solutions is the fact that Line 6 Interfaces have (almost) Zero Latency which will make for way better feeling when playing through and recording into your PC.

Thats where the ASIO driver comes in. You can set it to give you no lag at all.

darkhorizon
11-27-2009, 02:59 PM
The cheaper line 6 USB interfaces are really good. I have the GX pod studio one hooked up to my PC for practicing in the house and it is really good with plenty of kit to link together and configure.

Rocknawe
11-27-2009, 07:15 PM
The Line 6 GuitarPort is a pretty good modeler that is a good deal for a beginner. The lack of foot pedals is a downer, but it's not like you're taking it gigging anyway.

hijinks
11-28-2009, 09:23 AM
I have a Line6 Toneport and use it with their Gearbox software. Works great, sounds great and a cinch to install and get running.