The Warlock (gp5)

PDA

View Full Version : The Warlock (gp5)

lordofthefood1
02-24-2009, 07:29 PM
This is mixed for gp5. It is in no way mixed for gp4 or midi, and I don't really have the ability to mix for those. I'll mix it down to gp4 if somebody needs it.

The Warlock is the final part of my concept album thing (there's three songs on here, Preludial Sea, Zarathushtra, and Airships Wrecked. There are two songs that I am not done with that go between Airships and The Warlock.)

A quick summary (which hasn't been posted in any of the songs) is that a guy sees into the future and realizes that he needs to quickly distinguish between lies and truth before he dies (or something. It is a very loose concept). The imagery would be of Steam Punk, if there were imagery or lyrics. The guy's airship crashes into another and they land on a floating island and fight an evil Warlock (who turns out to be the source of the lies). Or something. I may stress that it is a very loose concept, especially without words or anything.

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to dance during the delay break, but I'm not sure.

randomthought9
02-25-2009, 03:18 AM
intro riffs are good, but try adding another one? it can be repetitive with the same ideas over and over. needs some more variation. also i think you wait too long for the bass and drums to come in. but that could be the way it sounds on guitar pro, it's tough to hear those chords that fade in.

those dotted half notes work ok for the bass. i might have a little more going on with the bass, but that's just me. i didn't like when the bass started to follow the guitar though. you've established that idea already-what the guitar is doing. why would the bass follow it? it doesn't add to the song in my opinion. there's so much more you can do with the bass here in the verse. also it sounds muddy just letting it ring like that. i like the drum beat you have going on. maybe have the bass follow the kick a little more?

the delay break is very good. i like everything you have there, no criticism here. i liked the guitar especially. nice work.

the chorus sounds good. i like the chords your using.

in the bridge it's weird how the bass follows the snare more than the kick almost. like how it's kick then snare/bass. i might just be overly picky there though. i like the guitar riff, and the bassline following it. in bar 104 i ended with a c# powerchord instead of the a. i thought it brought it somewhere instead of the a again. same with bar 109. i liked the lead guitar work, like when it became 2/4. the transition to the chorus is good too. it kind of jumps into the verse though, but i see why you did that.

i like the new drum beat, it keeps the energy from the chorus. i'd probably bring the bass in a little sooner. but that's just my preference. the bassline is ok, not bad, but not great. when it's the 16th notes, that bassline works better i think. again, i don't like the bass following the guitar here.

i liked the bridge. nothing new to add really.

the prechorus solo thingy is good, i liked it. for bar 181, i had it end on a c# powerchord. again, i like the lead work you've got going on. it goes to the chorus nicely.

the octaves starting on bar 205 were good. i really liked the guitar in 218-220. the bridge was good, i liked it. it does take a while for the song to end though. that could be due to me being tired, and being nice enough to write a long crit though. the outro isn't bad. i like it better starting on bar 240. i like the bass that comes in on bar 244. that outro/ending is kind of cool. it reminds me of james bond.

all in all, the song was good. there were a few things i didn't like, overall it's good.

c4c?? it's in my sig.

lordofthefood1
02-25-2009, 01:55 PM
intro riffs are good, but try adding another one? it can be repetitive with the same ideas over and over. needs some more variation. also i think you wait too long for the bass and drums to come in. but that could be the way it sounds on guitar pro, it's tough to hear those chords that fade in.

those dotted half notes work ok for the bass. i might have a little more going on with the bass, but that's just me. i didn't like when the bass started to follow the guitar though. you've established that idea already-what the guitar is doing. why would the bass follow it? it doesn't add to the song in my opinion. there's so much more you can do with the bass here in the verse. also it sounds muddy just letting it ring like that. i like the drum beat you have going on. maybe have the bass follow the kick a little more?

the delay break is very good. i like everything you have there, no criticism here. i liked the guitar especially. nice work.

the chorus sounds good. i like the chords your using.

in the bridge it's weird how the bass follows the snare more than the kick almost. like how it's kick then snare/bass. i might just be overly picky there though. i like the guitar riff, and the bassline following it. in bar 104 i ended with a c# powerchord instead of the a. i thought it brought it somewhere instead of the a again. same with bar 109. i liked the lead guitar work, like when it became 2/4. the transition to the chorus is good too. it kind of jumps into the verse though, but i see why you did that.

i like the new drum beat, it keeps the energy from the chorus. i'd probably bring the bass in a little sooner. but that's just my preference. the bassline is ok, not bad, but not great. when it's the 16th notes, that bassline works better i think. again, i don't like the bass following the guitar here.

i liked the bridge. nothing new to add really.

the prechorus solo thingy is good, i liked it. for bar 181, i had it end on a c# powerchord. again, i like the lead work you've got going on. it goes to the chorus nicely.

the octaves starting on bar 205 were good. i really liked the guitar in 218-220. the bridge was good, i liked it. it does take a while for the song to end though. that could be due to me being tired, and being nice enough to write a long crit though. the outro isn't bad. i like it better starting on bar 240. i like the bass that comes in on bar 244. that outro/ending is kind of cool. it reminds me of james bond.

all in all, the song was good. there were a few things i didn't like, overall it's good.

c4c?? it's in my sig.
Honestly, there wasn't supposed to be that much bass (if any) to begin with. I wrote this as an acoustic song (minus parts with obvious riffs) about a year ago and tucked it away somewhere and pulled it out now.

As for the bass at the end of verses (I'm assuming that is what you're talking about), listen and look at the actual harmony that is formed (perhaps I should put the bass an octave higher). It doesn't follow the guitar exactly, but actually leaves out a note (thus making the downward arpeggio different.. sort of)

As for the instruments following the snare in the bridge (I assume you mean the bridge with the dissonant and palm mutes and snare roll at the ends of measures), it follows the kick/snare pattern. I haven't tried switching them, but I think it would sound weird. C# and G# aren't really in the key (that I sort of formed in my head.) (I know you can negate that easily with the prechorus riffage, but that is only really for that part. The chorus originally went Em, E, A, E5 (as the leading chords for each one) but the G# sounded awful in the E so I changed the leading chords to Em, A, E5, C#m (again, you make a point about using a C# power chord, however, G# isn't a note for this song. It doesn't work.)

As for the outro, you are actually right. It starts at bar 280. I added that cheesy breakdownish (230) part before hand to wrap up the fast energy. I'm debating whether to keep it in there or not. Basically I look at it this way, if I were playing it live, I'd want to have one last stand before busting out the ending.

(nvm, I'm actually moving that part somewhere else.)

Thanks for the input. I was debating a few things and you've influenced me to swing them in ways I was originally going to go. I'm adding the attachment.

Nemesis@Germany
02-25-2009, 03:21 PM
gp4?

lordofthefood1
02-25-2009, 04:16 PM
gp4?
edit: nvm, there is no RSE.. I forgot.. Use your imagination for parts I guess.

aceral1715
02-27-2009, 08:04 AM
I definately have to say that I loved the use of the delay. Would have been nice for the drums to have come in earlier, but thats just my opinion. For the first part of the verse at bar 134 you cant really hear the guitar notes, just the delayed mutes. Right now i'm at the first bridge. Pretty catchy with the licks and everything going into the pre-chorus. The second bridge is a nice change from the chorus right before it. The outro didn't really agree with the rest of the song for me, but altogether it was pretty good.

Crit one of mine? Any songs in the sig.

Nemesis@Germany
02-28-2009, 02:03 PM
the intro is pretty vacant. you should let the bass & drums come in earlier.
the verse sounds ok with drum & bass. but you could have varied the drums.
the first 2 bars of the delay break is a bit awkward imo, but the rest of that part sounds ok, even without delay. but it gets repetitiv and boring after a while.
the chorus was nice. i like the power behind it.
the bridge was cool, i really like it.
but again, you could have varied the drums, like everywhere.
meh. pre-chorus.
boring up to the 2/4 part, interesting melody.
ah, the bar before the chorus begins is great.
you used another drum-pattern for the chorus. makes it more powerful.
bah. verse again. i find it somekind of boring. but it sounds better than the other version of the verse.
break + bridge are great. nice use of dissonance.
again, the pre-chorus. that soloish thing is annoying.
but all in all it's the same like before.
i still like the chorus.
but the second chorus sounds less powerful.. shouldnt it be somekind of climax?
i'd suggest to add something.
instead of and and so on.
-
- 0 0
-12 12 7
-
-10 10 5
-

i loved the bridge. i love the dissonance. one of the best parts of the song.
and.. the outro was ok. i like it how you began with the outro, but it was getting worse.
but still it is ok.

yeah, i tried my best on critting, although i'm not a good critic.
the song was not amazingly great or something, but it wasn't bad at all.
sometimes it sounds empty and it often gets repetitive.
it all depends on the lyrics and the vocals imo.

shuggy
02-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Like the intro riffs, apart from it went on for a bit too long...
Loved some of the chord changes though, opened me up to some new things :D
Wasnt sure on the delay but i liked it in general :)