Installing a Fernandes sustainer

PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Fernandes sustainer

Calafalas
03-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Hi all,
I was thinking about installing a Fernandes sustainer FSK-101 in my strat. I'd wanted to (and I've seen the pictures that have it) install it with the driver/humbucker on the neck and a Bare knuckle Nailbomb humbucker on the bridge (no pickup in the middle).

My question is: can I install these with the 5-way switch I allready have (ie. by just following the 5-way switch soldering scheme and simply leaving out the middle pickupwiring) or do I need a 3-way switch with it?

Further: Does anyone knows what the battery life of the kit is ?
I kind of figured I'm gonna have to buy a rechargeable 9v battery..

Hope anyone knows!

---
Calafalas

conor1148
03-02-2009, 06:21 PM
the sustainer will take suck up 9v pretty quick if you use it alot, i would suggest getting it modded to use a 9v wall plug (if you're using it just at home of course) so you wont have to use expensive 9v batteries or waste time letting them charge.

noisefarmer
03-02-2009, 07:13 PM
pretty sure it's gonna come with instructions on how to wire it.

i wouldnt go with rechargeables. battery life is decent but this is definitely one of those mods where you want to route a battery compartment somewhere on the back of your guitar just to make life easier.

the sustainer will take suck up 9v pretty quick if you use it alot
really? holy crap!!! you mean if you use something a lot the batteries go down!?!

i would suggest getting it modded to use a 9v wall plug (if you're using it just at home of course) so you wont have to use expensive 9v batteries or waste time letting them charge.
as a person who has had 2 guitars with fernandes sustainers and used it a lot i can say that i've never encountered this issue of batteries draining quickly and having issues with having to spend money on cheap 9v batteries. and i sure as hell would never mod it to use an ac adaptor.

Calafalas
03-03-2009, 05:35 AM
Thnx for your awnsers.
I was actually talking about the soldering schemes that come with the sustainer (downloaded them from fernandes' website).
But why wouldn't I try to mod it to make it available for main current ?
That would definitely solve the battery problems...
Or.. is it just too difficult to do that ?

noisefarmer
03-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Thnx for your awnsers.
I was actually talking about the soldering schemes that come with the sustainer (downloaded them from fernandes' website).
But why wouldn't I try to mod it to make it available for main current ?
That would definitely solve the battery problems...
Or.. is it just too difficult to do that ?

not difficult to do but it's not practical either... unless for some ridiculous reason you want to stand next to an outlet the whole time you are playing since ac adaptor cables aren't exactly available in the same lengths as guitar cables.