Television

PDA

View Full Version : Television

volcom_sk8_rock
03-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Not entirely sure if this is the right place to put them but they formed in 1973 and I see their style of music more in common with this genre than punk so anyway I'll delete this if Im told otherwise.

Okay so a really great band and I think Marquee Moon was a brilliant debut. I love the guitar interplay between Verlaine and Lloyd espcially the use of stab chords and choppy rhythms anyone know where im coming from?

HiImKindaNewAnd
03-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Cool band :)

"Marquee Moon" should be seen as the blueprint for making a 10 minute song feel like 4. I really don't see the punk connection, either. I mean, every band that played at CBGB didn't have to be punk, right?

volcom_sk8_rock
03-12-2009, 10:24 AM
yeah tbh I see more of an alt/indie sound than punk but yeah Television are awesome!

Jett Diamond
03-12-2009, 10:25 AM
We talk about them a LOT in the punk forum. I love Television--absolutely fantastic band.

Richard Hell and the Voidoids were way better though, in my humble opinion. You'd probably like them too. Richard Hell was their first bassist.

ohhey9040
03-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Great band. I think the guitar playing on that record is some of the most creative playing ever. Also, Richard Lloyd is coming to town sometime in May. Needless to say I will be going.

volcom_sk8_rock
03-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Yeah I've often heard cirticism on the lead work within Television but I find it to be pretty damn good.

HiImKindaNewAnd
03-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Yeah I've often heard cirticism on the lead work within Television but I find it to be pretty damn good.
Really? I've played Television for a lot of my friends, and the only complaint I've heard is that Verlaine's voice sucks. They said the lead work was quite creative, and it reminded them of jazz or Jerry Garcia.

volcom_sk8_rock
03-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah I've heard the odd person but I couldnt diasgree more with them. I really like Verlaines voice its one of the things that sets them apart from the whole classic rock scene along with the smart guitar playing.

radio_schizo
03-25-2009, 01:07 PM
'Marquee Moon' and 'Adventure' are totally flawless to my ears. They are the sort of albums you can completely get lost in each listen - everything just fits, the guitars, the bass, the drums, vocals. There's no real dominating instrument really, man they had such a cohesive sound!

I would put 'Marquee Moon' down as one of the greatest albums ever, in my opinion. Perfect balance of rawness, creativity, and attitude.

lolmnt
03-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Television is awesome. They're one of my favorite bands that I rarely listen to.