How high strings should be off the fretboard?

PDA

View Full Version : How high strings should be off the fretboard?

seanp182
03-12-2009, 11:16 AM
I was just curious... are the strings supposed to be an even height off the fretboard from 1st to last fret? Or should it gradually become a greater distance?

EDIT: it gets to be about half a centimeter off the fretboard around the 12th fret. Is that fine? Or is that too much and I should fix it/get it checked out? If so how can I fix that?

eyebanez333
03-12-2009, 11:19 AM
I've always kind of wandered this myself...I always figured that its supposed to get a little higher as you go up the fretboard...I mean usually you don't use the higher frets on an acoustic anyway. I'm interested to see the answer :lurk:

JoePerry4life
03-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah that is normal to be higher at the higher frets and lower towards the nut.

Ozwal
03-12-2009, 11:22 AM
I recently lifted the bridge to eliminate buzz on the thick strings BUT only in the left side, but now they are totally uneven, is it wrong?

Whiskey Tango
03-12-2009, 11:24 AM
String height is really a matter of personal preference, the guitar itself, and the type and style of music you are playing. With that said, a good overall string height to go for is for a penny placed at the 12 fret should stay in place and not slide through the strings. It shouldn't be necessarily tight, but tight enough to stay in place. Again, some of this is going to depend upon the guitar itself. A cheaper guitar may still experience a lot of fret buzz if going by this method. There may be other issues as well (i.e. is the neck of the guitar set correctly, etc.).

I like the link below for a good overall guitar setup...

http://www.icepoint.com/guitar/Setting%20up%20your%20electric%20guitar/

Les Paul Ell
03-12-2009, 11:25 AM
I recently lifted the bridge to eliminate buzz on the thick strings BUT only in the left side, but now they are totally uneven, is it wrong?

If it plays and sounds how you want it to then it's fine.

seanp182
03-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Well I was wondering because I adjusted the truss rod, and didn't know if loosening it could have possibly raised those strings alot higher.

I've been trying to eliminate buzz on my low E but haven't been successful. Don't know if I should keep loosening the rod or not.

Hobby
03-12-2009, 11:37 AM

I did the same thing once. The only difference I noticed was that I had to change picking distance for pinch harms. I'm not really sure if it's a bad thing but if it plays fine I doubt it would be. You'll have to relearn sweet spots for pinch harms though.

Les Paul Ell
03-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Don't change the truss rod to change your action. Change the truss rod if your neck is the same height at the nut and the highest fret but is much higher in the middle or lower in the middle. It sounds like your problem is either:
1. Your nut is not the right height for you.
2. Your bridge is not the right height for you.
3. Your neck could do with a wedge in the joint to change the angle.

eyebanez333
03-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Don't change the truss rod to change your action. Change the truss rod if your neck is the same height at the nut and the highest fret but is much higher in the middle or lower in the middle. It sounds like your problem is either:
1. Your nut is not the right height for you.
2. Your bridge is not the right height for you.
3. Your neck could do with a wedge in the joint to change the angle.

#3 won't work in this case...its an acoustic guitar

captivate
03-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Never use the truss rod for action. Only use it to adjust bow(which adjusts the angle at which the strings are in reference to the fretboard). In a way, the truss rod does change action, but that's not the actual purpose.

All guitars should have less action at the first fret than higher up. It should never be flat. The reason there needs to be this angle is to eliminate buzzing or dead frets. If your angle is too low, an uneven or slightly raised fret may cause buzzing.

If you need the buzzing eliminated then I would suggest getting a proper guitar technician to do it for you.

seanp182
03-12-2009, 04:42 PM
it gets to be about half a centimeter off the fretboard. Is that fine? Or is that too much and I should fix it/get it checked out? If so how can I fix that?

Gee-tar-eist
03-14-2009, 04:01 PM
How would I change my strings from high action (its like ridiculously high for some reason) to low action?? i dont want to try and figure it out myself ending in breaking one of my guitars, lol
Please inform. Much appreciated.

Gee-tar-eist
03-14-2009, 04:15 PM
-bump-