What`s going on with The Game?

PDA

View Full Version : What`s going on with The Game?

mastaofrocknrol
03-15-2009, 09:53 AM
What`s going on with the pit?

Absent Mind
03-15-2009, 09:58 AM
It is locked.

People were having convosations using thread titles because threads could not be responded to, even though they were told not to, so it was locked.

Banageddon 09 anyone?

Lemoninfluence
03-15-2009, 09:58 AM
technical glitch.

then people spammed it up and now it's been closed.

it'll be back as soon as the issue's fixed I'd imagine.

bendystraw
03-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Geez, glad I went and watched a movie last night, I wouldn't have been able to help myself. can anybody give me the names of some of the users that are banned? Anybody important?

xander307
03-15-2009, 10:04 AM
important pit users? :rolleyes:

valdean
03-15-2009, 10:10 AM
*Begs for Kensai to be banned*

Simsimius
03-15-2009, 10:15 AM
I hope they 'unlock' The Pit soon.

BigFatSandwich
03-15-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm loving this. Now, when I click the New Posts link, it actually looks like a guitar website.

bendystraw
03-15-2009, 11:07 AM
important pit users? :rolleyes:
If we have no metaldud, there will be no pokemon jokes for a month. I don't want to even try to imagine a pit like that.

aaciseric
03-15-2009, 11:26 AM
If we have no metaldud, there will be no pokemon jokes for a month. I don't want to even try to imagine a pit like that.

And if we have no aaciseric then the whole Pit will destroy itself in sorrow ...

<_<

>_>

Deliriumbassist
03-15-2009, 11:27 AM
And if we have no aaciseric then the whole Pit will destroy itself in sorrow ...

<_<

>_>

If by "destroy itself" you mean "have a mass orgy" and by sorrow you mean "an unadulterated state of bliss", then yeah.

aaciseric
03-15-2009, 11:30 AM
If by "destroy itself" you mean "have a mass orgy" and by sorrow you mean "an unadulterated state of bliss", then yeah.

Oh, that was cold :sad: ...

mastaofrocknrol
03-15-2009, 12:19 PM

<_<

>_>
:haha
probably :p:

daytripper75
03-15-2009, 01:07 PM
you all failed. that is what happened. this is the result of one massive, collective fail.

arsonite
03-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Lol nice

noxiosimitator
03-15-2009, 01:29 PM
I made a temporary pit in form of a profile group .. if an admin thinks its a good idea could he please place the link in the pit ?

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/theoneandonlypit/

or could a mod place it in the 'mod-forum' ? :)

Dreadnought
03-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Is there an estimated fix date by which the Pit will be returned?

jimivancobain
03-15-2009, 02:04 PM
I wasn't on last night so I'm trying to peace together the story. So apparently there was spamfest and then when the posting was turned off retards decided to talk through thread titles resulting in banageddon?

dudetheman
03-15-2009, 02:09 PM
I wasn't on last night so I'm trying to peace together the story. So apparently there was spamfest and then when the posting was turned off retards decided to talk through thread titles resulting in banageddon?

Pretty much.

This has happened before.

daytripper75
03-15-2009, 02:11 PM

partially correct.

there were problems with the forums yesterday. threads weren't posting properly (the only thing that showed up was the title. once you opened it the thread was empty), and you couldn't reply to any threads. it happened twice, and both times people thought it would be a good idea to keep posting threads anyway (causing more work for us), even after we told them not to keep posting.

so the admins turned off posting in the pit.

Ur all $h1t
03-15-2009, 02:21 PM
partially correct.

there were problems with the forums yesterday. threads weren't posting properly (the only thing that showed up was the title. once you opened it the thread was empty), and you couldn't reply to any threads. it happened twice, and both times people thought it would be a good idea to keep posting threads anyway (causing more work for us), even after we told them not to keep posting.

so the admins turned off posting in the pit.
Thereby ending any further passing of potato salad

Rhoads_1096
03-15-2009, 02:31 PM
:eek: Neither do I

mastaofrocknrol
03-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Thereby ending any further passing of potato salad
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm potato salad #gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh#

Simsimius
03-15-2009, 02:45 PM
As someone who refrains from spamming thread titles, I do find it annoying that those of us who purposely didn't use UG when the errors were occuring, have ended being "punished" as well.

I'm not really complaining, just stating.
Wouldn't it be easier to ban a few 'key' users for a couple of days?

CrimsonBizzare
03-15-2009, 02:57 PM
There'd be alot of bannings, it was easier for them to lock the pit.

Simsimius
03-15-2009, 03:01 PM
There'd be alot of bannings, it was easier for them to lock the pit.

I just hope they open up soon.

SlipknotRule93
03-15-2009, 03:03 PM
so we've been about 2 days with no pit...

how are we still here?

ClaptonWannabe
03-15-2009, 03:15 PM
As someone who refrains from spamming thread titles, I do find it annoying that those of us who purposely didn't use UG when the errors were occuring, have ended being "punished" as well.

Nobody is being punished.

The threads are still down, you can't post in any thread. The block is to stop people creating new thread titles. You can still go in and read old threads etc.

medick
03-15-2009, 03:23 PM
We have an issue with forum database server, looks like hardware problem with HDD controller.
At this time datacenter guys preparing new server for us that will be running while current server on diagnostic.
So "The Pit" still staying closed and tomorrow we expect a short downtime for some parts of the site.

I'll try to keep you updated

:cheers:

severed-metal
03-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the update Medick, hopefully that will stop most of the questions

Simsimius
03-15-2009, 03:32 PM
We have an issue with forum database server, looks like hardware problem with HDD controller.
At this time datacenter guys preparing new server for us that will be running while current server on diagnostic.
So "The Pit" still staying closed and tomorrow we expect a short downtime for some parts of the site.

Thanks for the update/explanation!

Draken
03-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Pit down all i can see is good riddance to bad posting.

IMABBALLPLAYER
03-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Is there any chance at all that you could bring back the llama forum in the meantime?

LesPaulLeader08
03-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Is there any chance at all that you could bring back the llama forum in the meantime?

Please? :(

BigFatSandwich
03-15-2009, 04:28 PM
So I guess I'm the only person who is happy about the pit being gone?

punkrocker10115
03-15-2009, 04:36 PM
I didn't know about any of this.
I assumed I was banned.

medick
03-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Let's imagine we've enabled posting: The Pit has a huge users activity; then server has a high loading; then HDD has a high loading; then we have a good chances for another one data crash; then all forums and even profiles will not work until data repaired.

So I just can't do this. Sorry for inconvenience.

MedicreDemon
03-15-2009, 04:45 PM
the programmers dont work sundays do they?

hugh20
03-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Someone divided by zero :(

IMABBALLPLAYER
03-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Let's imagine we've enabled posting: The Pit has a huge users activity; then server has a high loading; then HDD has a high loading; then we have a good chances for another one data crash; then all forums and even profiles will not work until data repaired.

so........ no llama forum right now?

Streetking07
03-15-2009, 04:52 PM

Jeez, we wouldn't be able to post anyway because there fixing a bug, so chill.

J.A.M
03-15-2009, 04:52 PM
No, no you aren't.

TheRevolvers
03-15-2009, 05:06 PM
I like how even though it's locked down the pit still has far more viewers than any other forum

TunaFish
03-15-2009, 05:06 PM
The pit has 6,292,255 posts.
The Band and Artists has 1,615,832 posts.

Theres alot of members that just join this forums to be on the pit. I joined this forum to get tabs and to find help and learn new things about the guitar. And now i also post there.

Streetking07
03-15-2009, 05:09 PM
I like how even though it's locked down the pit still has far more viewers than any other forum
lmfao

thewho65
03-15-2009, 05:11 PM
I hope this isn't the end of the Pit. This would be a sad final chapter. But man there are going to be a boatload of bannings handed out. I'm kind of glad I wasn't a part of it.

I missed this entire thing (I missed the Llama forum thing too, it was still bloody idiotic though), but from what I can gather UG got assf*cked really hard by spammers. So there where just hundreds of "threads" that were simply posts/responses?

Are we allowed to post at all in the Pit? I understand threads are forbidden, but should we just keep out of there all together?

joeymaxx
03-15-2009, 05:21 PM
I hope this isn't the end of the Pit. This would be a sad final chapter. But man there are going to be a boatload of bannings handed out. I'm kind of glad I wasn't a part of it.

I missed this entire thing (I missed the Llama forum thing too, it was still bloody idiotic though), but from what I can gather UG got assf*cked really hard by spammers. So there where just hundreds of "threads" that were simply posts/responses?

Are we allowed to post at all in the Pit? I understand threads are forbidden, but should we just keep out of there all together?
From what I understand, they've made it impossible to post in the pit.

ZeGuitarist
03-15-2009, 05:22 PM
This isn't the end of the Pit. The database overloaded and crashed, and now it's being repaired. To keep it from overloading, the Pit was temporarily closed to reduce traffic. But as soon as the database is fixed it will be opened again.

And yes, spamming was a second reason it got closed. Talking in threads wasn't possible anymore, so some idiots thought it would be smart to talk through thread titles. Soon the Pit got filled with threads, so it got closed to prevent more thread title spamming. All thread posters got banned...

And finally, try to post in the Pit. You just can't. It's been closed... ;)

SOADrox429
03-15-2009, 05:25 PM

This won't be the end of the Pit. It's a large part of UG, and it gets more views and posts than any other forum.
I wasn't a part of it, either. I wasn't on yesterday after 2 or 3 PM EST, so I missed it all, but that's what I gather from what I've seen.
Posting in the Pit is not allowed at all right now. You can still read threads, though, if you want. I'm staying out of it completely.

stepco12345
03-15-2009, 05:26 PM
I like how The Pit is still managing ~400 viewing! :haha

Of course, a lot of them are probably just googlebots or infobots, but still, WOW! :eek:

daytripper75
03-15-2009, 05:27 PM
i love how everyone is freaking out. it hasn't even been a full 24 hours without it. do any of you have a life? i'm enjoying not having the pit. it means i don't have to go through a bunch of reports and what not.

:p:

SomeoneYouKnew
03-15-2009, 05:32 PM
I hope this isn't the end of the Pit. This would be a sad final chapter. But man there are going to be a boatload of bannings handed out. I'm kind of glad I wasn't a part of it. end of the Pit? did you even READ this thread? look for the coloured names. this is the UG staff. and pay particular attention to the guys like medick who are part of the UG Office staff.

I missed this entire thing (I missed the Llama forum thing too, it was still bloody idiotic though), but from what I can gather UG got assf*cked really hard by spammers. So there where just hundreds of "threads" that were simply posts/responses?assf*cked? no. there were technical problems. then little maggots decided to converse with thread titles making a mess of clutter even after Mods posted DO NOT MAKE NEW THREADS.

This spam didn't CAUSE the problem it just made clutter after the problem occurred.

Are we allowed to post at all in the Pit? I understand threads are forbidden, but should we just keep out of there all together?Use your eyes, man! you CAN'T reply to threads in The Pit and you CAN'T start new ones there. The Pit has been set to "Read Only".

Since you obviously missed it the first time through THESE POSTS expain all:

:cheers:Let's imagine we've enabled posting: The Pit has a huge users activity; then server has a high loading; then HDD has a high loading; then we have a good chances for another one data crash; then all forums and even profiles will not work until data repaired.

'nuff sed.
relax and wait for the tech guys to sort it. :)

Blackwaterson89
03-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Well said Someone you knew. And thanks to the staff for the update.

ZanasCross
03-15-2009, 05:39 PM
I just find it funny that if we were to calculate the number of times a day an average teenage male masturbates two days ago, it would be about 10 times smaller than it is today.

Good luck Russians. If you need any vodka to help the servers un-sober up and work properly, let me know.

bass wizard
03-15-2009, 05:49 PM
This really caught me by suprise, I went into the pit and saw all these warning threads. Still, it'll be fixed. Mods... any numbers on the amount of people banned in this fiasco?

stepco12345
03-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Is this fix also going to help with the stability problems that have been occurring slightly over the past 2 weeks?

Will this problem also stall the release of UG 8.0?

Little_Buster
03-15-2009, 06:53 PM
I thought i had gotten banned to start with.
Thankfully i didnt

thewho65
03-15-2009, 06:55 PM
end of the Pit? did you even READ this thread? look for the coloured names. this is the UG staff. and pay particular attention to the guys like medick who are part of the UG Office staff.

assf*cked? no. there were technical problems. then little maggots decided to converse with thread titles making a mess of clutter even after Mods posted DO NOT MAKE NEW THREADS.

This spam didn't CAUSE the problem it just made clutter after the problem occurred.

Use your eyes, man! you CAN'T reply to threads in The Pit and you CAN'T start new ones there. The Pit has been set to "Read Only".

Since you obviously missed it the first time through THESE POSTS expain all:

'nuff sed.
relax and wait for the tech guys to sort it. :)

This man certainly has a lot to say... I hope you do realize the base of my post was an entirely "if" statement. I also haven't dared post in the Pit for fear of aggravating the already hormonal mods :p:

SOADrox429
03-15-2009, 07:04 PM
This man certainly has a lot to say... I hope you do realize the base of my post was an entirely "if" statement. I also haven't dared post in the Pit for fear of aggravating the already hormonal mods :p:
You should listen to him. :)
You couldn't post in the Pit if you wanted to.

djk55
03-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Odd....

SomeoneYouKnew
03-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Is this fix also going to help with the stability problems that have been occurring slightly over the past 2 weeks?yes.

Will this problem also stall the release of UG 8.0?yes.

some of the same personnel involved in the development of UG 8.0 now have to focus their attention to matters pertaining to the new hardware and sync between operations and diagnostics. that means their efforts toward UG 8.0 will have to wait just a little longer.

This man certainly has a lot to say...if that was too much for you to digest, just get to the bottom line of that post and be happy:relax and wait for the tech guys to sort it. :)

IMABBALLPLAYER
03-15-2009, 08:03 PM
so... how about that llama forum. eh? Eh? EH?

daytripper75
03-15-2009, 08:06 PM
^no.

IMABBALLPLAYER
03-15-2009, 08:11 PM
ok. sounds good.

Draken
03-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Keep on truckin' russians i bet your working hard and not totally getting drunk and laughing at the pit monkeys.

<.<

>.>

don't send the KGB after me please.

terrencemaddox
03-15-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm starting to think he gets paid for hanging out and posting this stuff. I mean why else would he do it, ya know? :p:

Anyways, good on the people who keep this site running :cheers:

oneblackened
03-15-2009, 10:52 PM
UG 8.0? What's that?

SomeoneYouKnew
03-16-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm starting to think he gets paid for hanging out and posting this stuff. I mean why else would he do it, ya know? :p:

Anyways, good on the people who keep this site running :cheers:quiet about the payments, please. :eek:

UG 8.0? What's that?Top Secret. I could tell you, but then I'd have to ...

j/k. it's the new look for all the pages on the main site.
the programmers haven't been talking about it too much.
methinks this might be because they don't want 18 gazillion "suggestions"
and an equal number of "when will this be released" questions.

Spectromerepere
03-16-2009, 12:12 AM
You know what this feels like? It feels like there was a big accident of some sort, like a house burned down or there was a huge car crash at night time, and everyone on your street is outside talking about it, trying to find out all the details. Just a mutual feel of like an adrenaline rush or excitement through some sort of disaster, that everyone has come together for. Through time it will wear off but we will continue to look for updates as if we are watching the burnt house being rebuild and when the pit is back everyone will rush in as if burnt house has been rebuild and the family has returned. Lets just hope in their excitement for their house being restored, they don't end up burning the house back down again, and I'm sure you understand what I am implying by this. I just hope pit users don't take it for granted, and we don't see any spamming and banning for a bit... though I doubt it.

DimebagLivesOn
03-16-2009, 12:48 AM
NO PIT?!?! :cry:
it was fine when i got off last night..

timbit2006
03-16-2009, 12:54 AM

I'm exstastic(is that a word?) I don't like like like the pit... That means I Don't Don't Hate it... Which means I don't not not like the pit...

That took me a while to figure out. Like any of the pit lurkers are smart enough to figure that out, If i like it or not...

entity0009
03-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Is it bad that I feel a part of my soul is missing? My daily routine has been messed up. I have a large space in my agenda from 15:00 until 23:00 where "Lurk Pit" used to be.

Xeron Brigs
03-16-2009, 01:37 AM
You know what this feels like? It feels like there was a big accident of some sort, like a house burned down or there was a huge car crash at night time, and everyone on your street is outside talking about it, trying to find out all the details. Just a mutual feel of like an adrenaline rush or excitement through some sort of disaster, that everyone has come together for. Through time it will wear off but we will continue to look for updates as if we are watching the burnt house being rebuild and when the pit is back everyone will rush in as if burnt house has been rebuild and the family has returned. Lets just hope in their excitement for their house being restored, they don't end up burning the house back down again, and I'm sure you understand what I am implying by this. I just hope pit users don't take it for granted, and we don't see any spamming and banning for a bit... though I doubt it.

You are absolutely correct, and brilliant analogy.

OzarkMDaredevil
03-16-2009, 01:39 AM
Is it bad that I feel a part of my soul is missing? My daily routine has been messed up. I have a large space in my agenda from 15:00 until 23:00 where "Lurk Pit" used to be.

No. I feel the same way. I'm sad, depressed, and homicidal. The loss of the Pit has made me question my sexuality.

SomeoneYouKnew
03-16-2009, 01:44 AM
You are absolutely correct, and brilliant analogy.... and he's banned after only 9 days of being on UG. multi?

evening_crow
03-16-2009, 02:05 AM
i love how everyone is freaking out. it hasn't even been a full 24 hours without it. do any of you have a life? i'm enjoying not having the pit. it means i don't have to go through a bunch of reports and what not.

:p:
I work alone on the 3rd shift and that's what mainly helps me stay awake so... i miss the pit.

:sad:

I'm glad we can still view threads though. I'll be away for the following 2 1/2 days since i'm mainly only online when i'm at work but i hope it'll be back by the time i come back! :p:

And hey, i wish i was a mod!!! It'd be nice to walk around and helping keep things under control. It'd be like my second full-time job since i'm always on at the same time/days. Oh well...

No. I feel the same way. I'm sad, depressed, and homicidal. The loss of the Pit has made me question my sexuality.
Doesn't lurking the pit make you question your sexuality in the first place?

:eek:

flightless bird
03-16-2009, 02:37 AM
Life + The Pit = :D
Life - The Pit = :sad:

OzarkMDaredevil
03-16-2009, 02:44 AM
[color=purple]Doesn't lurking the pit make you question your sexuality in the first place?

:eek:

AHHH! :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: I have no idea if I'm gay, straight, bi-sexual, or tri sexual!

thenextkirk92
03-16-2009, 03:19 AM
I lol'd when the the pit was locked. The number of users online dropped dramatically. That just shows you that more than half the users are pit monkeys.

s-mac
03-16-2009, 03:41 AM
It's liek that on all forums, the off topic forums ususally have around 50% of the forums posts/views/hits/etc.

Survivalism
03-16-2009, 03:50 AM
This way, I think it's better for all of us.

Symmetry4321
03-16-2009, 04:14 AM
It has becoe a much more friendly place without all of the

*********!!!
MUDKIPZ!!!
and

FAP!!!!!!!!! jokes

ZeGuitarist
03-16-2009, 04:36 AM
The Pit is back. Just saying.

OzarkMDaredevil
03-16-2009, 04:38 AM
I came. What a perfect time for them to fix it. No one is around to see my cum.

breadstick
03-16-2009, 04:56 AM
Now it's gone again...

OlivierF
03-16-2009, 04:57 AM
I love you UG gods

Final !mpact
03-16-2009, 04:57 AM
I posted telling everyone to "STOP POSTING THREADS. THIS HAS HAPPENED ONCE BEFORE. You're all going to get banned..." Or something like that.

Will I be banned? :-|

Shadowplay13
03-16-2009, 05:04 AM
Guys i'm scared...

medick
03-16-2009, 08:24 AM
forums has been fully opened.

but we still awaiting downtime later.

ZeGuitarist
03-16-2009, 08:28 AM
Well done medick, and the rest of the UG Team. You guys are doing a great job... We can wait while you sort things out!

stepco12345
03-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Yes. Good work guys. :)

ZanasCross
03-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Good Work Motha Russians!

thewho65
04-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Does the UG Team intend on going back to "The Pit"? I mean, April Fool's is over. I wouldn't want it to stay "The Game" forever.

daytripper75
04-04-2009, 12:00 AM
who knows? send them some vodka and maybe they'll change it.

ZanasCross
04-04-2009, 01:04 AM
It's wodka... bitch.

the humanity
04-04-2009, 01:17 AM
Does the UG Team intend on going back to "The Pit"? I mean, April Fool's is over. I wouldn't want it to stay "The Game" forever.
I rather like it myself. plus, it will give UG free ads on the demotivational pictures threads of other sites. sounds like a win win to me.

thanksgiving
04-04-2009, 02:10 AM
But we were the Pit.

/b/ isn't going to change their name to /g/

We're sellouts man!

SomeoneYouKnew
04-04-2009, 05:41 AM
But we were the Pit.

/b/ isn't going to change their name to /g/

We're sellouts man!Don't even mention /b in the same breath as UG.

We're totally different. They recycle jokes. We recycle threads. :p:

thewho65
04-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm just tired of losing. That was one things I had going, and then what do you know...

the humanity
04-04-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm just tired of losing. That was one things I had going, and then what do you know...
you can stop losing now. well... not yet.

you lose! :D

but they changed back to the Pit.