40 Year Old Gibson Acoustic

PDA

View Full Version : 40 Year Old Gibson Acoustic

Daire
03-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Ive been told ill be getting my Grandfathers old Gibson Acoustic thats about 40 years old and im also getting an EKO(Think thats how its spelled) 12 string acoustic with it around the same age. Does anyone know if these guitars will be worth anything?? Im really relying on the Gibson for maybe 500 euro? Is that resonable?! Plese help me decide to sell!:golfclap:

Cheers!:cheers:

Hultan
03-18-2009, 10:21 AM
You're gonna get a guitar as a gift, and then sell it?
You don't sell gifts.

ZanasCross
03-18-2009, 10:23 AM
You don't sell 40 year old Gibson's either; those things are amazing. I may be getting one from the 1930/1940 range (I think '38) and it still plays as well if not better than most new guitars. Don't sell it, save it. You will regret it later.

JawrshyXD
03-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Keep that **** and make beautiful sex in the form of acoustic music =D.

You could probably make more money over time gigging and playing with it (assuming you have some skill) then you could from selling it.

I'm not a huge gibson fan, but still, it's got to be a pretty decent guitar.

OLEROCKER
03-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Ill pay the shipping have a look at it let you knowwhat I think its worth in canadian dollars

TheAmericanRuse
03-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Selling them would be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
For one, they are gifts, as Hultan has stated. You don't sell gifts.
Secondly, it's a 40 year old Gibson acoustic. It is most likely a beautiful guitar, and it is vintage. Selling it would just be straight up STUPID.

Daire
03-18-2009, 10:26 AM
no its not a gift really.....He passed away about 10 years ago and my dad just thought about it lately as i took up guitar about 8 months ago. I dont exactly play acoustic guitars anyway so i was hoping to fund a LTD KH.

JOEYPWNSU
03-18-2009, 10:32 AM
selling a 40 year old gibson for an ltd kh? yea that seems like a genius idea... :facepalm:

cmart227
03-18-2009, 10:33 AM
yea stupid if you sell it...and i guess just get a job to fund your must have LTD KH

ZanasCross
03-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Forget the LTD. This is a CLASSIC. This is Vintage. Even if you never play it and just keep it humidified in a case somewhere, in another 20 years it will be worth so much more.

But fuck that, play it. give acoustic a chance, especially since you will likely be playing a guitar nicer than half of UG will ever own.

Portuguese_boy
03-18-2009, 10:34 AM
I'll buy the Gibson for 500...

spooner1957
don't sell it. one day youll become more interested in acoustic stuff and wish you had kept it. just keep it and save up for that in a different way

learningplayer
Pics or it didn't happen.

AA00P
03-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Forget the LTD. This is a CLASSIC. This is Vintage. Even if you never play it and just keep it humidified in a case somewhere, in another 20 years it will be worth so much more.

But fuck that, play it. give acoustic a chance, especially since you will likely be playing a guitar nicer than half of UG will ever own.
This.

I love LTD's, but jesus **** man, this is a 40 year old gibson we're talking about!

Fender52604
03-18-2009, 10:36 AM
no its not a gift really.....He passed away about 10 years ago and my dad just thought about it lately as i took up guitar about 8 months ago. I dont exactly play acoustic guitars anyway so i was hoping to fund a LTD KH.

i said the same thing when i picked up guitar. i had NO interest in an acoustic guitar at all, and a few years later i suddenly found myself to be the proud owner of more acoustics than electrics, and my ipod mostly consists of stuff by andy mckee, don ross, and antoine dufour. i guarantee you, if you stick with the guitar long enough, you will develop an interest in acoustical stuff. dont make a bad decision based on your current tastes when you have the chance to own something many people, including myself, would kill to have.

Daire
03-18-2009, 10:36 AM
k guys..looks like im keeping it(BTW its still in its original case too so its mint) Any info on the EKO?? I went onto the website but its all in italian!lol

GrayFoxz
03-18-2009, 10:41 AM
KEEP THE F***** GIBSON. its probably the most beautiful guitar you'd ever own and once you gig with it, everyone, EVERYONE will be jealous. or you can sell it to me and after i get it i'll call you a douche for just trying sell it.. and i'd probably make the deal of my life..

edit: :facepalm: and yes, save it don't play till you get a few years of experience or you'd ruin that sexy thang..

captivate
03-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Selling your 1960's Gibson that belonged to your grandfather for a LTD? I may just lose faith in humanity. You currently have in your possession a guitar that many people would kill to have, and you want to sell it for a LTD...

Someone just shoot me now.

EDIT: Thank God you've decided to keep it. My faith in humanity is now restored. Good day to y'all. hahaha

Daire
03-18-2009, 10:45 AM
well if its worth so much maybe i shud get the ESP KH!lol

ZanasCross
03-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Selling your 1960's Gibson that belonged to your grandfather for a LTD? I may just lose faith in humanity. You currently have in your possession a guitar that many people would kill to have, and you want to sell it for a LTD...

My sentiments exactly; this thread actually has ruined my day. The fact TS was considering selling it made me die on the inside.

Dawnwalker
03-18-2009, 12:22 PM
well if its worth so much maybe i shud get the ESP KH!lol
its like a 5k~20k bucks ur ****ing with dude.
MY faith in humanity was lost as i saw this dudes signature
Lyrics from One,Metallica(it rocks but children who listen to it make me sick) ,
ltd explorers and the will to buy SIGNATURE GUITARS
:facepalm:

DigUpHerBones
03-18-2009, 12:24 PM
I have a 1947 Gibson, and dammit, don't sell it. It's just incredible.

If you even consider selling it, someone who would die for it deserves it :p: Seriously, though...

Portuguese_boy
03-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Did you guys have to convince him to keep it?

I would have bought it for 500 euros...

Dawnwalker
03-18-2009, 01:40 PM
lol a gibson nowadays costs like 2k
BUT THIS THING IS VINTAGE AND EVERYTHING GODDAMNIT

Silent_Crow13
03-18-2009, 03:48 PM
This thread made me sad. For the loe of all that is good don't sell it.