pedals/effects for a joe satriani sound

PDA

View Full Version : pedals/effects for a joe satriani sound

SlashKirkSynG
03-22-2009, 03:12 AM
Hey I was wondering what effects, pedals, settings I need to get the sound Joe Satriani has on the song Overdriver.

I've got an RP50 but I'm lost at what effects he's using.
and also can someone give me the settings he uses on that song.
like treble, bass, mid, etc.

littlephil
03-22-2009, 03:22 AM
The intro sound like just plain distortion. I'm pretty sure after that he uses a wah, sounds like it in the tremolo picking part, then the neck pickup without the wah. Then bridge pickup again (i think) until about 2:25 where it sounds like he's using the Satchurator over amp distortion.

dunda130
03-22-2009, 03:30 AM
Vox Satchurator, Peavey JSX combo or half stack, Ibanez JS-1000 series aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm not exactly sure if he has a signature wah or what.

Never heard the song but thats pretty much what he uses on a regular basis.

littlephil
03-22-2009, 03:36 AM
He has a signature wah, but he didnt when that album was made, so he would have used a Dunlop 535q.

Shinozoku
03-22-2009, 03:40 AM
Just get the Vox Satchurator and some moderate output pickups with good harmonics and sustain, and a whammy bar. Also, use more mids.

SlashKirkSynG
03-22-2009, 03:40 AM
okay so I need distortion, wah.....
any ideas on the settings?
whats a good general joe satriani settings for the bass, mids, and treble, so I can tweak it until I get the correct sound.

this song probably uses a lot of reverb too right?

_Sanitarium_
03-22-2009, 04:52 AM
this song probably uses a lot of reverb too right?
What do your ears tell you?

SlashKirkSynG
03-22-2009, 05:05 AM
hahah sorry for that last question...
it does use lots of reverb...
I'm just so used to just turning distortion on 10 bass on 8 mids at 4 and treble at 7.
I hardly ever use effects.
But I think I'm going to perform this song at a concert so I wanted to get the perfect settings.

so any suggestions on the eq settings?

bapplebo
03-22-2009, 05:07 AM
More mids, less distortion.

steven seagull
03-22-2009, 07:03 AM
hahah sorry for that last question...
it does use lots of reverb...
I'm just so used to just turning distortion on 10 bass on 8 mids at 4 and treble at 7.
I hardly ever use effects.
But I think I'm going to perform this song at a concert so I wanted to get the perfect settings.

so any suggestions on the eq settings?
There are no perfect settings unless you have identical equipment, you just have to use your ears until it sounds right to YOU.

SY22
03-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Tone is aaaaaall in the hands

EndTheRapture51
03-22-2009, 08:21 AM
Vox Satchuator, Vox Time Machine and Vox Big Bad Wah through a Peavey JSX.

Robino_Ibanez
03-22-2009, 09:29 AM
ok if we're looking at a more general satch tone here's what i reccomend.
This is all assuming you can't afford a good high-gain amp that will give you "that tone".

-Distortion pedal with a good voicing (I don't reccomend the satchurator, bad tone control meaning it's either too muddy or too harsh. Howbout a keeley ds-1?)

-Wah pedal to create a more "vocal tone" (look at where Satch comes in on "Summer Song")

-"Background" effects to add another dimension to your sound - Chorus, Delay, Reverb, etc.
You'll hear him use a lot of echo because it really adds depth.

Hope this helps.

B. Jammin
03-27-2009, 11:36 PM
Satch doesn't use reverb much (if at all). Instead he uses two delays (one set short, one set long) to emulate reverb. I think it's also important to note that many of the dynamics in Satriani's tone come from playing through a big amp with strong bass/mid response.