Epiphone Les Paul V.S. ESP EC- Series???

PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone Les Paul V.S. ESP EC- Series???

freshflip1322
03-24-2009, 08:30 PM
I am talking about the Standard for $430, and The EC Series**... Which Is better??

** Whichever ESP guitar is about the Same price as the Epiphone...

Ok?

MetaMegaMagic
03-24-2009, 08:38 PM
EC Series, ESP just seems to be a quality guitar company, you don't necessarily pay so much for the name of the brand.

freshflip1322
03-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Which guitar though?? I want an Ebony Color..

SeeEmilyPlay
03-24-2009, 08:42 PM
I would prefer an ESP over an epiphone anyday

burnboy85
Well from seeing that which epi LP thread, I've really seen how low quality the epis are.The studio is pretty much the same as the standard, except for the tops, and the standard is the same as the custom, except for gold hardware, the ultra is more of a hollow acousticy LP type guitar, which apprently feels not too much like a LP.The special 2 and the lp 100 kinda suck too. I've never played an EC series though.Nowhere near me carries esp, but daddys junky music gets a few from time to time.

mamosa
What kind of music do you want to play?
Metal- definitely go with the ESP
If it's anything softer, some people (talkin' about you Necrosis :p: ) will tell you get the Epi. I have tried both, and the quality of low-end ESP/LTD's are incredible. And EMGs are MUCH more versatile than they are given credit for (same with active pickups in general) HOWEVER do not get the EMG LH... pickups because those are total crap. However, the build quality of the ECs are so good, that it would be worth it to buy it and then mod it in the future. You could add Seymour Duncans (more versatile than any EMGs except for 81/60). But the point is, the EC will last you longer than the Epi because it is of a high quality and mods will last you a while.

tl;dr ESP?LTD is higher quality for the price, mods will last you a while, change pickups, and you have any genre at your fingertips. And Epis are not of that high a quality (I've seen a bunch of malfunctioning Epi threads)

mamosa
03-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Oh, and you pay nothing for the LTD name brand if you're worried...

freshflip1322
03-24-2009, 08:46 PM
What kind of music do you want to play?
Metal- definitely go with the ESP
If it's anything softer, some people (talkin' about you Necrosis :p: ) will tell you get the Epi. I have tried both, and the quality of low-end ESP/LTD's are incredible. And EMGs are MUCH more versatile than they are given credit for (same with active pickups in general) HOWEVER do not get the EMG LH... pickups because those are total crap. However, the build quality of the ECs are so good, that it would be worth it to buy it and then mod it in the future. You could add Seymour Duncans (more versatile than any EMGs except for 81/60). But the point is, the EC will last you longer than the Epi because it is of a high quality and mods will last you a while.

tl;dr ESP?LTD is higher quality for the price, mods will last you a while, change pickups, and you have any genre at your fingertips. And Epis are not of that high a quality (I've seen a bunch of malfunctioning Epi threads)

Umm, Alternative, Some Metal, Blues, HArd Rock, Screamo, Hendrix, Clapton,..

MrFlibble
03-24-2009, 08:48 PM
The problem is there isn't an ESP/LTD EC model that's the same price as the Epi Standard.

There's the EC 50, 100 and 200, which are all a bit cheaper than the Epi and also rather worse (agathis and bass wood bodies, no craved tops, bolt on necks, etc).
Then there's the EC-256 which is about 100 more than the Epi and actually spec wise is only the same (though the Epi does have undeniably better hardware with 18:1 tuners and LockTone stopbars). Then you get up to the EC-401 which costs a couple of hundred more than an Epi Standard does (250 more here in fact), and the only notable differences between the two guitars by that point are obviously the more 'shred friendly' neck of the ESP/LTD, and the Eclipse 401 comes with active EMG pickups or passive Seymour Duncans - but by that point you can get the Epiphone Custom EX or GX for 50 less than the EC (has an even slimmer neck than the ESP, same 24 extra jumbo frets, active EMGs or passive Gibson Dirty Finger pickups, same controls, still the better bridge and tuners).

With other guitar styles there are definitely good reasons to get ESPs over other brands, but when it comes to Les Paul styles... the ESP/LTD EC's I've tried have certainly been good, but they haven't been noticeably better than Epi/Agile/Vintage/Rally/Tokai/Ibanez/etc Les Paul guitars, and if you weigh up the specifications they're actually inferior. It's only once you hit the LTD 1000 range or the actual ESP EC's that they start being worth bothering with.

freshflip1322
03-24-2009, 09:08 PM
So, Your suggesting that I js get the Epiphone??

mamosa
03-24-2009, 09:13 PM
The problem is there isn't an ESP/LTD EC model that's the same price as the Epi Standard.

There's the EC 50, 100 and 200, which are all a bit cheaper than the Epi and also rather worse (agathis and bass wood bodies, no craved tops, bolt on necks, etc).
Then there's the EC-256 which is about 100 more than the Epi and actually spec wise is only the same (though the Epi does have undeniably better hardware with 18:1 tuners and LockTone stopbars). Then you get up to the EC-401 which costs a couple of hundred more than an Epi Standard does (250 more here in fact), and the only notable differences between the two guitars by that point are obviously the more 'shred friendly' neck of the ESP/LTD, and the Eclipse 401 comes with active EMG pickups or passive Seymour Duncans - but by that point you can get the Epiphone Custom EX or GX for 50 less than the EC (has an even slimmer neck than the ESP, same 24 extra jumbo frets, active EMGs or passive Gibson Dirty Finger pickups, same controls, still the better bridge and tuners).

With other guitar styles there are definitely good reasons to get ESPs over other brands, but when it comes to Les Paul styles... the ESP/LTD EC's I've tried have certainly been good, but they haven't been noticeably better than Epi/Agile/Vintage/Rally/Tokai/Ibanez/etc Les Paul guitars, and if you weigh up the specifications they're actually inferior. It's only once you hit the LTD 1000 range or the actual ESP EC's that they start being worth bothering with.

Yeah, I'd have to admit Flibble is right, mostly, except the difference is the stock pickups and the build quality of the ESPs are much better so they are ideal to buy and just mod. Except the agathis bodies *vomits*.
Also, what a lot of people don't realize is that basswood is not inherently a bad wood. It's really light so it doesn't have much sustain, but they are usually reserved for shredding guitars, which don't need much sustain.
/end rant

Also, TS, check out Raven West Guitars on ebay. They are SO good (comparable to the real LPs I've played) and look beautiful (although that isn't the real issue here)

patbuck2
03-24-2009, 09:27 PM
I say go for the les paul, but I am kind of a big les paul fan, so it's not odd that I would pick the lp over the esp.

MrFlibble
03-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I'd have to admit Flibble is right, mostly, except the difference is the stock pickups and the build quality of the ESPs are much better so they are ideal to buy and just mod. Except the agathis bodies *vomits*.Not really. The stock pickups aren't better (generic Alnico V humbuckers just like the Epis until you go tot he next price point up where they get Seymour Ducans and active EMGs.. but at that point the Epis get Gibsons and active EMGs too, so it's all equal).
Also as far as modding goes, Epi are a better way to go. They're made to the same dimensions as a Gibson Les Paul, which is what nearly every aftermarket part is made for - on the other hand the ESP/LTDs are made to different dimensions, so if you bought another LP bridge or say humbucker rings, they might not fit.
Also in fact the Epi doesn't even need to be upgraded other than the pickups. The 18:1 Grover tuners and LockTone bridges Epi have are the best you can get.

Also, what a lot of people don't realize is that basswood is not inherently a bad wood. It's really light so it doesn't have much sustain, but they are usually reserved for shredding guitars, which don't need much sustain.
/end rantThis is true. bass wood has a good tone in it's own right, and though it does lack sustain compared to mahogany or maple, it's got about as much as alder with a little more puncy low-mid response. It is indeed a great wood for 'shred' guitars.

However if you're buying a Les Paul, you want mahogany. Alder is a good wood too, but you wouldn't buy an alder Les Paul. Maple is a good wood but how often do you ever see an all-maple Telecaster? Korina is a great tonewood but when do you ever see a Korina Strat? Ash is a good wood but when do you see an ash SG? Certain guitar styles almost 'require' certain wood species. For Les Pauls, that's mahogany.

So, Your suggesting that I js get the Epiphone??In this instance, yes. In the price range you're looking at, the Epiphones are either better than the ESPs for the same money (Epi vs EC 50, 100 and 200 ESPs), or they're the same as the ESPs but cost less (Epi vs EC 256, 401).

Don't get me wrong, ESP makes some great guitars (I'm getting an ESP Horizon myself soon) and their higher-end LP style guitars are very nice. But at the lower price range, other brands are better.