How Long Should it take to build up calluses?

PDA

View Full Version : How Long Should it take to build up calluses?

Fitzpatrick
03-28-2009, 07:01 AM
I have been playing guitar for a year now and I don't know whether my fingers have calluses yet. If I play for more than 2 hours the skin at my fingertips just rip. Is this normal?

GangsterLi
03-28-2009, 07:06 AM
I have been playing guitar for a year now and I don't know whether my fingers have calluses yet. If I play for more than 2 hours the skin at my fingertips just rip. Is this normal?

hmm ... i got calusses in a few days

Martindecorum
03-28-2009, 07:09 AM
if it rips that the calloused skin mate, i believe u have callouses :D

Fitzpatrick
03-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Well, is it that I'm playing for too long?

AVA_Plus44_182
03-28-2009, 07:22 AM
You want to play long enough so that you build up the callouses, but not so long that the calloused skin gets ripped off otherwise you're losing the skin you're desiring for. The funny thing is, now a days my fingertips' skin isn't calloused anymore, yet my skin doesn't hurt if I play for ages, or at least no where near as much as it used to. After a few years of playing you don't even need callouses because your skin just gets semi-permanently accustomed to it.

UNIe
03-28-2009, 07:22 AM
If your fingertips don't hurt when playing, then you have calluses. And if you're ripping your calluses, that means you're working your ass off, and for that I salute you :D

leafarmusic
03-28-2009, 07:53 AM
A good way to speed up the development of callouses is to get a knife and rock it across each finger. Do it hard enough so that it hurts, and do it for long enough each day so that you get used to enduring it. I used to rock it across each finger 1000 times every day but thats because im obsessive.

If im wrong about this and theres anyone who knows that im wrong, please correct me as i wouldnt want anyone following my advice if its going to do more harm than good.

UNIe
03-28-2009, 08:06 AM
A good way to speed up the development of callouses is to get a knife and rock it across each finger. Do it hard enough so that it hurts, and do it for long enough each day so that you get used to enduring it. I used to rock it across each finger 1000 times every day but thats because im obsessive.

If im wrong about this and theres anyone who knows that im wrong, please correct me as i wouldnt want anyone following my advice if its going to do more harm than good.

Why cut your fingers, if you can play your guitar and develop the same kind of callouses AND a better technique at the same time?

leafarmusic
03-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Its not a substitute for playing, its for when you dont have a guitar around.

se012101
03-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Depending a lot on how much per day you are playing, about 2 months from the time that you start playing, or come back from a very long period off.

Like a couple of the other posters said, ripping, and peeling, etc, is not not having calluses, it's tearing up the ones you have from very heavy playing. This has happened to me when I go through a very heavy period of playing, like 5 hrs/day for a week or two. But it never peels so much that there is no callous and my fingers feel sore. It's fairly normal if you're going through a period where you're really hitting it.

darthbuttchin
03-28-2009, 01:39 PM
If theres a bit at the end of the finger that s harder than the same finger on the other hand, then you have a callus. I don't think you'll ever have huge calluses like that of a person in the printing trade or what not, but yeah. If you are ripping your fingers from extensive playing, but it doesnt hurt until you rip through, you have calluses. And once the ripped skin grows back you'l have better calluses.

Theres no certain time for calluses to appear. If you play the guitar for 2 mins every 6 months its gonna take longer than if you play everyday, you get me?

wesselbindt
03-28-2009, 02:07 PM
It's a genetic thing.
One guy could play a certain amount of time, and calluses appear.
Other guy plays for excactly the same amount of time, no calluses.
It varies from person to person.

Glimsom
03-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I have calluses on the sides of my fingers from vibrato, but none for regular playing. Always thought I just hadn't played enough, but my fingers don't hurt when I play stuff, so that's good enough for me.

stealer42
03-28-2009, 06:35 PM
I didn't even develop callouses and I've been playing for a very long time. It all depends on the person for my best friend developed callouses after a few weeks. Of course his strings would've made SRV do a double take they were so thick

tweeb
03-28-2009, 07:07 PM
I rip my skin occasionally when I play but it doesn't hurt at all though but my fingers can look pretty mangled after a long session of guitar playing :).

King Turi
03-28-2009, 07:39 PM
I first started noticing calluses about a week after I first started playing, but I had an electric guitar as my first guitar so I guess it wasn't as harsh on the fingers, prefer acoustic now.

My fingers look normal now except they don't hurt.. all I get is the indentation of the strings left on my fingertips for a while after extensive playing haha..

leafarmusic
03-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Callouses are really good for morale, it shows that youre getting somewhere. I love them. And the pain. I really get off on it. Sometimes i just play for the pain. Is it wrong that i enjoy it? Should i kept away from decent society?

Slapknot
03-28-2009, 10:41 PM

Bahah.... am I the only one who about spit out their soda when seeing this?

Haha... you keep a knife around for when you don't have a guitar nearby, so that you can 'rock' your fingers across it, obsessively.... do you also whisper, "It put's the lotion on its skin...." while doing this 'rockn'?

darthbuttchin
03-29-2009, 05:25 AM
Haha. Silence of the lambs rules!

Leafarmusic = Jame Gumb? Perhaps...

leafarmusic
03-29-2009, 07:48 AM
No i dont keep a knife around. And i dont whisper anything in particular, let alone "It puts the lotion on its skin", whatever that means.

And who the hell is Jame Gumb? Is it some troll who im supposed to be the reincarnation of? And silence of the lambs? Whats on earth is all that about? Shouldnt there be a separate forum for weird cryptic stuff?

DespisedIcon
03-29-2009, 10:56 PM
I've been playing for a year and a half and I'm waiting for my first callus. My fingertips don't hurt but they aren't "hard".

JBecker=SHREDDA
03-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Ive been playing for 6 years and although i havent got rock hard callusus my fingers they can withstand 7 or so hours of playing in one day with no pain, so maybe you just get used to playing over time. So i reckon you should stick at playing for your regular time and if it starts to hurt unbearably have a break, then get right back into it a while later :)

Lethal Dosage
03-29-2009, 11:24 PM
I got mine after about a month, they come and go though