Too much treble on my guitar

PDA

View Full Version : Too much treble on my guitar

Simon4392
03-28-2009, 01:45 PM
I own a Brian Moore 21.13, and it has been great for a long time (I have played for four years and owned the Brian Moore for three of them), but lately I have started feeling it is too trebly. I have trouble deciding if it is just because it has taken some time for me too know what I want in a guitar, in other words that some part of the guitar, pick-ups etc, is wrong for me, or if there is something wrong. I'm guessing it's just my taste that has developed, so if any of you are very experienced when it comes to guitar equipment, could you check out the guitar and its details, and tell me if the guitar is just a very trebly guitar.

http://www.iguitar.com/iGuitar/iGuitarModels.asp?guitar=iGuitar21.13

Thanks alot!

PS: I have even gotten comments on the guitar being trebly by a pro guitar-tech when playing through a Jcm 800 in a big venue. It has also gotten to the point to where I don't like the sound I get through my Peavey Classic 30 combo, especially when it comes to the clean sound.

Lewadra
03-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Try cranking the tone knob(s) a bit, and keep your amps treble low. That should balance it atleast a little I think...

gwitersnamps
03-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Why don't you just put some new pickups in there?

Rhoads_1096
03-28-2009, 02:10 PM
How bout an EQ pedal

Simon4392
03-28-2009, 02:19 PM
None of you seem to get my question. I can of course change settings on the amp and buy additional gear, but when I play my guitar with my bridge pickup, and with my tone all the way down (or up, can't seem to remember which one gives more treble), that is when it is too much treble. If I play on the neck pick-up, then it is ok, maybe a bit more treble than what I would like, but of course a more round sound.

But to the guy who suggested new pick-ups, is that because the stock ones are very trebly? or are you just thinking that it might help?

eberg2
03-28-2009, 02:22 PM
i never had a problem with treble with my brian moore, but the stock pickups are not balanced sounding at all, they are pretty ****ty, so yes new pickups would probabaly do the trick for you

DeathByDestroyr
03-28-2009, 02:23 PM
you could also try picking closer to the neck, might help smooth it out a bit

dimarzio SD dont have too much treble, unlike the poopy JB, and would work great with the flamed maple, which is probably what yur getting the highs from

voteforpedro36
03-28-2009, 02:56 PM
So you ask how to fix the treble on your guitar, then decline our advice of new pickups or EQing? Yeah hold on I'm about to help.

JF-SH1
03-28-2009, 03:00 PM
So you get too much treble out of your bridge pickup? There are screws on each side of a pickup. These screws raise or lower your pickups. If you have the side of the pickup closest to the higher strings lower you won't get such sharp response, less treble. I should hope that would help.

EDIT: That isn't very clear. Lower the side of your pickup that is closest to high E, B, and G. Should eliminate some of the treble-ness.

Pr0gNut
03-28-2009, 03:04 PM
None of you seem to get my question. I can of course change settings on the amp and buy additional gear, but when I play my guitar with my bridge pickup, and with my tone all the way down (or up, can't seem to remember which one gives more treble), that is when it is too much treble. If I play on the neck pick-up, then it is ok, maybe a bit more treble than what I would like, but of course a more round sound.

But to the guy who suggested new pick-ups, is that because the stock ones are very trebly? or are you just thinking that it might help?

Then don't play with your tone control maxed out obviously.That knob is there to roll of some of the treble in your signal,so roll it back until you're happy with the sound.also,changing the EQ on your amp will help as well.Push the bass a bit more and maybe throw in some mids if they're set low in your EQ.

Simon4392
03-28-2009, 03:12 PM
So you ask how to fix the treble on your guitar, then decline our advice of new pickups or EQing? Yeah hold on I'm about to help.

I just accepted the whole pick-up thing, so what's that all about? And I think it is understandable enough that I don't want to have to depend on a pedal to make my guitar sound good through any amp.

My pick-ups might just be too high (or whatever one of you said), I'll check that out! Or like the other guy said they might just be very cheap/bad pick-ups. And I can of course turn the tone knob a bit, I just find that for example the palm muting sound gets more muddy then, just like it would when playing with another pick-up, neck for instance.

But thanks everybody, I'll try the different stuff :)

Hereiwas
03-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Take your question to GB&C, and someone will e able to suggest some kind of resistor change on the pots. That might help(?)

gwitersnamps
03-28-2009, 08:29 PM

I don't know what the stocks are like, but since they're made my Brian Moore (not known for pickups) and the really high end BMs that were in the store I used to work at all had Duncans in them (JB/59 setup, i think) I'd say that you're problem is just pickups.

Mayonaise 812
03-28-2009, 08:43 PM
the bridge pick up is meant to be trebly just turn the tone down half way or use the neck pick up...