Favourite Tom Petty albums

PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Tom Petty albums

westozrocker
03-30-2009, 01:40 AM
I own many of Tom and the Heartbreakers albums. I have found that no matter how wide one's musical tastes are, chances are that the music of Petty and the Heartbreakers is often revisited.

My favourite albums are:

Wildflowers
She's The One
Damn The Torpedoes
The Last DJ
Full Moon Fever
Hard Promises

Any particular album that is your favourite and why?

Thefallofman
03-30-2009, 08:47 AM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749365&highlight=tom+petty

BrainDamage
03-30-2009, 11:21 AM
^^Six pages...eh, I'll leave this open.

I really like Hard Promises, but I think Wildflowers might be my favorite. You really can't go wrong with any of his albums though.

A Rolling Stone
03-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Without the Heartbreakers-Highway Companion or Full Moon Fever (That was without the heartbreakers, right?)

With the Heartbreakers - Hard Promises

westozrocker
03-31-2009, 11:44 PM
Wildflowers is probably the album I most treasure from Petty's cannon.

It just has that feel and vibe about it and it took around 2 years to write, craft and record.

You've got have badass rockers like "Honey Bee" and "You Wreck Me" the mid-tempo rockers like "You Don't Know How It Feels" and "It's Good To Be King" the Johnny Cashesque acoustic number "Don't Fade on Me" the brisk and sunny pop of "A Higher Place" and tracks that seem to be speaking directly to the listener such as "Crawling Back To You" and "Wakeup Time".

J-Smack
04-01-2009, 11:20 AM
I only have Full Moon Fever :(

Any other suggestions?

BrainDamage
04-01-2009, 06:04 PM
^^Hard Promises, Damn the Torpedoes, Wildflowers.

westozrocker
04-02-2009, 01:31 AM
^^Hard Promises, Damn the Torpedoes, Wildflowers.

All three are great choices considering you already have the fantastic Full Moon Fever album.

Damn The Torpedoes was the bands breakthrough album and in my opinion still the Heartbreakers greatest album. Classic Rock.

Hard Promises was the followup to DTT, and a fine one at that with the band progressing with new musical directions. You get Tom the cool romantic on this record and its a little bit more laid back than the full steam ahead which DTT is.

As for Wildflowers, read my earlier comments on the album.

eberg2
04-05-2009, 01:37 AM
the only album by him I don't like is The Last DJ

the lyrics on that one are great, but the tunes blew, besides that tom petty is probably in my top three groups, with or without the heart breakers because on all of his albums at least two of the heartbreakers played lol, mike campbell all the way through with TP

codog1104
04-09-2009, 01:58 PM
I'd have to say my favorites are: Wildflowers, Full Moon fever, Into the Great Wide Open, and his self-titled album. But, there's not much by Tom Petty that is bad. The only cd of his where I reach for the skip button pretty often is Echo.

defleppettychik
04-26-2009, 01:20 AM
Damn the Torpedoes and Wildflowers are def the best in my opinion

fattypumbaa
04-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Wildflowers, Echos is cool, Damn the Torpedos, MUDCRUTCH most people don't know about Mudcrutch but **** guys come on not one mention.

defleppettychik
04-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Wildflowers, Echos is cool, Damn the Torpedos, MUDCRUTCH most people don't know about Mudcrutch but **** guys come on not one mention.
I've heard of it but just havent listened to it yet....The Traveling Wilburys album was great, too.

westozrocker
04-27-2009, 06:42 AM
Love Mudcrutch

eberg2
04-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Love Mudcrutch
same, if they had more stuff out they might be my favorite band lol, but I'd need more than one album, well, besides that first album but does that even exist anymroe?

Thefallofman
04-27-2009, 02:20 PM
MUDCRUTCH most people don't know about Mudcrutch but **** guys come on not one mention.
That's because they aren't Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (technically), and that's who this thread is about. ;)