C_Standard tuning!

PDA

View Full Version : C_Standard tuning!

ceyhanb
04-09-2009, 11:53 AM
I recently dropped my electric guitar down to a Drop C standard, and played Jimi Hendrix's "Hear My Train Comin'" It sounded AWESOME. I love this tuning, and plan to continue to experiment with its low, bassy mellow feel.

The strings I am using are 10 Gauge Blue Steel. They are VERY bendy and seem very loose. There is very little buzzing, but this is only when i really pluck the strings HARD. I enjoy playing ROUGH...i like to dig into the strings alot, (sometimes i go soft to give a dynamic feel). The guitar is an IAXE 393 USB Guitar Strat style. I am also planning on buying a new Fender Stratocaster which i plan to keep this tuning. I'm also thinking of a Epiphone semi hollow. So please consider both these cases.

My questions are:

Will dropping to a C standard tuning damage the guitar?
Will dropping to a C then going back to E damage the guitar?
Which Gauge should I be using if I like to play rough? (LOWER OR HIGHER)
Will using my Whammy bar affect the guitar in a bad way in this tuning?
Does the truss rod need to be adjusted if i plan to stay in this tuning?

Thanks alot.

Ceyo

Guitar Skater
04-09-2009, 11:58 AM
YES to all of your questions

eyebanez333
04-09-2009, 12:03 PM
going back in forth between tunings won't damage a guitar...but it will cause the playability to decline in one tuning or the other. (i.e. if you make a truss rod, action, intonation adjustment for C standard...its going to throw off the playability in E standard). If you use the tunings a lot...get another guitar and set it up for the C standard and use the one you have now for E standard.

woodsballplayer
I don't think you should get a strat for this tuning, you might want something more suited with humbuckers of some sort.

jjhand
It shouldn't hurt the guitar, you just will have really low tension on your strings. You could go back to E but it will take a little bit to get all strings to stay in tune afterwards so you'll have to retune at least a couple strings. You should use higher gauge to get better tension. If you checked out any other bands that use low tunings (say slipknot for example) their lowest string is around .056-.060 gauge. There are string sets that run heavier such as jazz strings, or heavy bottom end strings. You can find them at music stores or musiciansfriend.com

Metalhead_28
04-09-2009, 12:05 PM
It will not damage the guitar.

You will not want to swap back and forth between C and E with the same strings and the same set up.

I would probably want at least a 52 for the low C

The idea would be to try and get a similar tension to standard tuning while in C, which will require larger strings. Depending on how different the tension is, you may or may not need to adjust the truss rod. You will surely need to adjust the intonation.
Using the vibrato bar makes no difference.

Metalhead_28
04-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Woah, got a few answers while I was typing.

Wolffgang
04-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Most people say to get your guitar setup for new tunings, and maybe they're right, but it's never been an issue for me.

I play an ESP Horizon, and went progressively from standard to 1 step down, to 2 steps down, [the world's best tuning (in conjunction with a capo) in my opinion], and have never had an issue, no neck warping, nothing. Now I'm not saying don't go get it done, maybe it would help you a lot; the ESP is a string-through, neck-through, with locking tuners, and maybe that's allowed me to get by, I'm just saying trying a different tuning won't magically destroy your instrument. The fact that it's a behringer, already has.

Primarily I've used 3 sets of strings -

The GHS Zack Wylde set (replacing the G(Eb) with a wound .24), which were quite good and served me well for many years

A hybrid Ernie Ball 7-string set, which sounded great for about the first 3 days then rusted up like crazy

Elixer Baritone, my new favorites, with great bell-like tone on the high end, just enounh thickness on the bottom, and plenty of endurance.

metalwarrior40
04-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Most people say to get your guitar setup for new tunings, and maybe they're right, but it's never been an issue for me.

I play an ESP Horizon, and went progressively from standard to 1 step down, to 2 steps down, [the world's best tuning (in conjunction with a capo) in my opinion], and have never had an issue, no neck warping, nothing. Now I'm not saying don't go get it done, maybe it would help you a lot; the ESP is a string-through, neck-through, with locking tuners, and maybe that's allowed me to get by, I'm just saying trying a different tuning won't magically destroy your instrument. The fact that it's a behringer, already has.

Primarily I've used 3 sets of strings -

The GHS Zack Wylde set (replacing the G(Eb) with a wound .24), which were quite good and served me well for many years

A hybrid Ernie Ball 7-string set, which sounded great for about the first 3 days then rusted up like crazy

Elixer Baritone, my new favorites, with great bell-like tone on the high end, just enounh thickness on the bottom, and plenty of endurance.

Those strings work great! Perfect for heaven tunings and rough players.

Vykk Draygo
04-09-2009, 02:45 PM
I play Drop C, or C standard all the time with my Flying V (well, SOMETIMES). I've never had a problem with tension, or neck warping, or even keeping my strings in tune when going back up to E standard (does no ones else stretch their strings after putting them on?).

If you keep the guitar in C, then you may need to adjust the trussrod, but you also may not. It just depends on the neck. But going to C, or going from C to E will hurt nothing.

As for string gauge, try heavier strings out if you want. There is no right gauge. I play with 9's, period. I don't play with a heavy hand though.

Edit: I'm also pretty sure that this should go in the Electric Guitar forum, not GB&C.

lumberjack
04-09-2009, 04:02 PM
I play Drop C, or C standard all the time with my Flying V (well, SOMETIMES). I've never had a problem with tension, or neck warping, or even keeping my strings in tune when going back up to E standard (does no ones else stretch their strings after putting them on?).

If you keep the guitar in C, then you may need to adjust the trussrod, but you also may not. It just depends on the neck. But going to C, or going from C to E will hurt nothing.

As for string gauge, try heavier strings out if you want. There is no right gauge. I play with 9's, period. I don't play with a heavy hand though.

Edit: I'm also pretty sure that this should go in the Electric Guitar forum, not GB&C.

True that.

I would try for 11's in C standard if I were you, or perhaps a hybrid set that's heavier gauged on the bottom. Also, I would DEFINITELY get the guitar set up to play in C standard. Your playability will be a wreck without it, fret buzz/action/truss-rod/wammy bar wise anyways.

Also, I think a UG 2003 veteran up there indicated 'yes' that playing in C standard will actually harm your guitar...of course that is NOT true. You just have to get it set up properly.