strats - usa std/deluxe vs highway one, deluxe players, roadhouse

PDA

View Full Version : strats - usa std/deluxe vs highway one, deluxe players, roadhouse

dbl93100
04-18-2009, 04:44 PM
ok i've recently been attracted to all single coil strats.
i want a sss strat with good factory pickups, not planning on changing them.
maple fretboard, 22 frets
i'm attracted to noiseless/scn (samarium cobalt noiseless) pickups
i believe scn are newer better noiseless pickups than regular noiseless.
i want a strat that has nice bright pickups that will sing, but still have bite for hard rhythm...pickups with nice harmonics, can be warm, can be bluesy, or not

please help me compare these:
american standard - single coil pickups, don't come with noiseless? everyone knows about it

american deluxe - new scn pickups, nice noiseless, s1 switching, and nicer cosmetics

deluxe players $799 - american vintage noiseless pickups. extra switch for more pickup combinations
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Players-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511597

highway one - $899 - 3 single coils, made in usa, cheapest american made strat
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-Stratocaster?sku=512768

deluxe roadhouse - $739-789 - texas special pickups
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Roadhouse-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515525

the roadhouse and deluxe players only have 21 frets since they're not american made...
i really want to know which has the "best pickups" , for rock atleast (audioslave, white stripes, green day)

american deluxe has scn, american std has regular single coils, deluxe player's has american vintage noiseless, highway one has regular single coils, & roadhouse has texas special

i'd like to think that the scn's on the american deluxe are the best, and the american noiseless on the deluxe player's strat are better than regular single coils on the american std and highway one. i hear the roadhouse texas pickups are just for blues - hence texas blues.

can anybody help me out?
looking for sweet singing tone, with bite too
thanks

Rock Pig
04-18-2009, 04:49 PM
It's between the American Deluxe and the Roadhouse in terms of pickups. IMO the pickups on the Roadhouse sound better but the Deluxe is just a much better guitar in general.

JELIFISH19
04-18-2009, 04:56 PM
The thing about SCN pickups is that they're not very stratty. But that doesn't mean that they don't sound very good. Dimarzio makes pickups that are noiseless and more stratty. The American Deluxe is the best instrument and it's incredibly versatile. You shouldn't really go by pickups anyway since they can be easily changed. You can't really make a Deluxe Roadhouse strat play and feel like an American Deluxe.

dbl93100
04-18-2009, 05:21 PM
okay...would it be safe to assume that the deluxe players strat's american vintage noiseless pickups are better than the single coil pickups on an american standard strat and the highway one? and the roadhouse's texas special pickups are just bluesier?

Tomaz24
04-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I have an American Deluxe and I love it - the pickups are fantastic for the usual strat orientated type of music, I'm not so sure how great they are for metal or anything like that, but for everything else - providing you're using a nice tube amp - brilliant!

So seeing as you like the pickups, the American Deluxe seems the way forward. Usually its the pickups that put potential buyers of this particular strat, but seeing as you like 'em, go for it! Hardware/build quality wise this wins against all other strats in its price bracket. :)

dbl93100
04-18-2009, 05:34 PM
^ you mean ususally it's the pickups that deter/ puts potential buyers out of buying them?
so i guess the pickups aren't very stratty...not necessarily a bad thing but if you want a strat that sounds like a strat...can anyone else comment on the deluxe scn pickups or compare them to anything?

JELIFISH19
04-18-2009, 05:44 PM
I heard that American Vintage Noiseless pickups are pretty bad. I've heard them called American Vintage Toneless a couple times. The SCN pickups are just a lot warmer than traditional strat pickups which are very trebly. They still have the bite and every other quality, except they're not very trebly.

Tomaz24
04-18-2009, 05:58 PM
^ you mean ususally it's the pickups that deter/ puts potential buyers out of buying them?
so i guess the pickups aren't very stratty...not necessarily a bad thing but if you want a strat that sounds like a strat...can anyone else comment on the deluxe scn pickups or compare them to anything?

You need to try them if you haven't. They're not as punchy as other strat pickups, but they're very very nice. I personally don't believe that they don't provide a "straty" sound at all.

The point I was trying to make was that if you don't have any issues with the pickups (which some people do, eg people who want to run a lot of gain and distortion through them) then the American Deluxe is the logical buy - it has the better build quality, it'll last longer, it feels nicer, ect. AND you can always change pickups, but changing a guitar is much more difficult.

dbl93100
04-18-2009, 06:05 PM
well i've tried an american deluxe with scn's in the store, the only thing is since i'm lefty, i don't have many chances to try other guitars, and i don't really know what a true strat "should" sound like...i like what i heard when trying the deluxe, which is probably what is most important. i guess i should also try out some strats with regular noiseless pickups, but it seems that the only other strat with noiseless's is the deluxe player's strat...which i am now hearing are bad. can anybody compare vintage noiseless's to the regular single coils on american standard strats?

i guess it all boils down to trying out american standard strats vs american deluxe vs. maybe a deluxe player's to hear the vintage noiseless's...nobody has commented on the roadhouse strat, but i still believe it just has bluesy pickups for texas blues, which doesn't really appeal to me...

mrxtreme_4
04-18-2009, 08:37 PM
just gonna put in a few words for the Highway one strat:

It's got 22 frets compared the deluxe and roadhouse which is a plus. Its got bigger frets and the neck is a bit wider and thinner compared to most strats. The pickups are wound hotter to sound better for modern rock stuff, but they still retain some fender twang. The pickups are ok in my opinion they're pretty versatile but nothing special, I might switch mine sometime down he road (and I have tried the sss version I feel the same way about them)

It's a Fender that's tweaked a bit from the traditional fender strats to be more compatible with modern day rock music. I like mine, and did I mention it has a nitrocellulose finish... might wanna see one of those with your eyes first because they're not for everyone... and they're not glossy.

EDIT: Damn I didn't see that the american or american deluxe were in the running too. You can't go wrong with one of those, I would've gotten one if I had the money :(

voteforpedro36
04-18-2009, 09:03 PM
The SCNs in the American Deluxe are really really good IMO. I feel they can do the vintage Strat tone (Clapton is how I would define that, don't know how accurate that is though), not perfect, just a little different. Depending on the amp they can really sound however you want them to. I think I could find a use for all the positions.

Oh, and plus you have the S1 switching, which gives you 5 more tones.

dbl93100
04-18-2009, 09:43 PM
right now i'd be leaning towards the american deluxe or standard, i'd have to try them both out and hear the pickup differences...i hear the highway 1 is basically just a cheaper version of the american standard...the deluxe player's has cheap noiseless's and only 21 frets...the roadhouse has bluesy texas pickups (which don't appeal to me for rock) and only 21 frets

dbl93100
04-19-2009, 04:24 PM
anyone else have any input?

THEKID546
04-19-2009, 04:37 PM
does it have to be a fender?

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=bolt

carvin bolt anyone, you can get a speacial order one with a maple fretboard instead of ebony.

dbl93100
04-19-2009, 05:51 PM
well i'm really trying to find out how the fender pickups compare in the above models