How to Work a Crowd

PDA

View Full Version : How to Work a Crowd

Bytorsnowdog
04-28-2009, 02:27 PM
This has probably been covered before in great detail, however my searches round the forum haven't revealed anything.

As a frontman, I'm interested in any advice or tips that anyone has to offer, especially stuff like crowd-banter between songs.

What do you say? What should you NOT say?

Dealing with hecklers?

I'd be interested to read any suggestions or personal approaches. Cheers! :cool:

stephen_rettie
04-28-2009, 02:32 PM
short and punchy things betweens songs, they're there to hear your music not listen to you talk.
the old ones are the best imo, how you guys doin tonight etc. but seriously not long intermissions betweens songs.

ILuvPillows?
04-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Don't swear too much..not to sound really soft but when a frontman (especially from an unsigned band) keeps swearing it really just expresses that he/she isnt comfortable with the surroundings. In my opinion ofcourse.

Superperfex
04-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Just look like you actually want to be there, make them feel like you are singing outwards to everyone in the audience, have fun with it, and MOVE AROUND.

I hate when people stand still.

MattAnderson111
04-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Just look like you actually want to be there, make them feel like you are singing outwards to everyone in the audience, have fun with it, and MOVE AROUND.

The singer from Dragonforce took that a little to far... he ran around the stadium.

Pink_blood
04-28-2009, 02:36 PM
I personally get really self conscious about mistakes and try and laugh about them too much, at our last show I even ended it saying "We're (my band name), I've never seen so many disappointed faces, good night"

Don't do that.

Koshman32
04-28-2009, 02:36 PM

One exception. Maynard from Tool

wickedlefty
04-28-2009, 02:38 PM
As far as anything not to say, just don't say anything that you will regret, say things that you mean and believe in. When it comes down to it just be yourself, unless you're a racist asshole. Usually its one of those things you just have to feel out. Hecklers, I say whatever I want usually but still within boundries. Ex, guys yell out "**** you" or "you suck", "get off the stage", don't be afraid to say something, but keep in mind you still have a set to play. Being a smart ass works well, you could say, 'well you can have an opinion, what does everyone else think?!' or say 'thank you' that ****s with them. Look at your set as if you were in the audience and were paying to see you, you would want to get your money's worth wouldn't you?

07bevanm
04-28-2009, 02:45 PM
i very muh disliked it when gahllager from oaisis was getting pissed and hitting on someone in between song 'they dont let me swear in liverpool so ****...' banter with crowd

when i saw parkwaydrive, amazing by the way, they encouraged crowd surfing
for their encore/last song of night, the pit was invited onto the stage and they sank back to their amps while people tried to surf on a floor with a qarter of ther people you need to hold you up

Bytorsnowdog
04-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Ok how would you react in this situation;

You are the frontman of your band and mid-song your guitarist breaks a string. He manages to struggle on until the end of the song, but being an unprepared idiot he doesn't have a spare guitar to instantly swap to.

You're left with a few minutes to talk to the crowd whilst your embarrased band mate fumbles a fresh pack of strings open.

This happened at one of our gigs, and was uncomfortable to say the least!

stephen_rettie
04-28-2009, 04:10 PM

You are the frontman of your band and mid-song your guitarist breaks a string. He manages to struggle on until the end of the song, but being an unprepared idiot he doesn't have a spare guitar to instantly swap to.

You're left with a few minutes to talk to the crowd whilst your embarrased band mate fumbles a fresh pack of strings open.

can i have a round of applause for (insert guitarist's name here)! rip the piss out of him.

dmiwshicldply
04-28-2009, 04:25 PM
can i have a round of applause for (insert guitarist's name here)! rip the piss out of him.

this will only work if you have a guitarist whose confident and an experienced performer, if hes not hes more than likely gonna get embaressed flustered take longer than he would have changing strings then once he gets done hes not gonna be able to play worth a damn.

but if he can take it with a smile and keep going then yes good idea especially if it gets the crowd chuckling

Northernmight
04-28-2009, 07:47 PM
If you live in the US.. Just say "I HATE THOSE DAMN ******S WITH THEIR DAMN WATER-MELONS AND BANJO'S!" And the crowd WILL go crazy!

rossj90
04-28-2009, 08:15 PM
If you live in the US.. Just say "I HATE THOSE DAMN ******S WITH THEIR DAMN WATER-MELONS AND BANJO'S!" And the crowd WILL go crazy!

not fuuuunnnnnnnnnnIIIIIIII!

Are you Joking?

zephyrclaw
04-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Remember to state your band name multiple times (not in a row, of course, or you'll just sound retarded). I've seen a few small, indie bands performing randomly who have been quite intriguing, but because they only stated their name once - say, at the beginning of the set, before I even arrived - or said it unintelligibly or distortedly, I missed it, so the whole point of them performing was kind of lost. Thus, remember to state who you are loudly and clearly; people might not have heard you properly the first time (and usually they won't care until AFTER they hear you play and are suitable impressed, so if you say it before you gig, it probably won't sink in very well) and it would be a shame if someone wanted to find out who you were but couldn't.

Mr.LeadGuitar
04-28-2009, 10:41 PM
The singer from Dragonforce took that a little to far... he ran around the stadium.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally get really self conscious about mistakes and try and laugh about them too much, at our last show I even ended it saying "We're (my band name), I've never seen so many disappointed faces, good night"

Don't do that.

Did that my first battle of the bands...and yet it's the only one we've won. it's wierd...
mustof gotten the pitty vote...

As far as anything not to say, just don't say anything that you will regret, say things that you mean and believe in. When it comes down to it just be yourself, unless you're a racist asshole. Usually its one of those things you just have to feel out. Hecklers, I say whatever I want usually but still within boundries. Ex, guys yell out "**** you" or "you suck", "get off the stage", don't be afraid to say something, but keep in mind you still have a set to play. Being a smart ass works well, you could say, 'well you can have an opinion, what does everyone else think?!' or say 'thank you' that ****s with them. Look at your set as if you were in the audience and were paying to see you, you would want to get your money's worth wouldn't you?

There's many a youtube vid of axl rose going all psycho on the ass of somebody in the audience. I think he did it once a show before slash left.

speedy1330
04-29-2009, 12:45 AM

Don't do that.

haha: thats funny though, the oldies always works clap your hands blah blah blah that stuff, but if you want some real help youtube live preformance of bands and stuff and see what they do...

personally i would recommend watch john lennon (solo artist) the who, nirvana, and if your into dancing weirdly the rolling stones.

slash_fan56
04-29-2009, 02:45 PM

**** YOU

Mr.LeadGuitar
05-03-2009, 05:12 AM
haha: thats funny though, the oldies always works clap your hands blah blah blah that stuff, but if you want some real help youtube live preformance of bands and stuff and see what they do...

personally i would recommend watch john lennon (solo artist) the who, nirvana, and if your into dancing weirdly the rolling stones.

i dance weirdly and fall on my ass. also, we're not the backstreet boys, so i have to use a normal mic instead of those headset POS, and dancing tends to drag me away from said mic...

goony
05-03-2009, 05:44 AM

bass and drums jam sesh!

and while that's happening, the singer can introduce all the band members and give a bit of background info about the band. That should eat up some time.

darthbuttchin
05-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Don't lay into your band members on stage. If they can't take it in front of people, its gonna suggest to the audience that your band is unstable and don't get on well. You'll develop a bit of a G'N'R complex.

Don't offend the audience either. That includes making crude jokes, swearing at them etc etc. It isn't cool or funny unless you're the Sex Pistols (at which point it becomes part of your image). You're more likely to alienate the audience and ensure they don't come and see you again. Furthermore, they'll spread the word about your band being offensive to their friends and even less people will come and see you.

I hink most importantly, you have to convey the fact that you are having fun to the audience. If an audience sees a band that is clearly enjoying their time onstage, then the audience will enjoy the performance alot more than if there is a lot of negative energy flying around.

And as a final point, ensure that as a band you are pretty tight. I accept that there is likely to be mistakes from pressure and adrenaline, but even still, the audience will prefer to see a band that at least knows the right key of the song they are playing and that can play the song all the way through without totally screwing up.

So yeah, just a lil bit of my experience there for you,

db

SlackerBabbath
05-03-2009, 08:26 AM
It's mainly about being relaxed with the audience and making it look like what you are doing comes naturaly to you. Basicaly it's something that generaly comes with experience.

As for hecklers...
Read this;
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/SlackerBabbath/blog/46334/

;)

Tango616
05-03-2009, 08:37 AM
give a white power speech.
needless to say your band will be taked about...

OH WAI-

dmiwshicldply
05-03-2009, 01:53 PM
It's mainly about being relaxed with the audience and making it look like what you are doing comes naturaly to you. Basicaly it's something that generaly comes with experience.

As for hecklers...
Read this;
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/SlackerBabbath/blog/46334/

;)

add number 41 to the list it should go something like this

41) I knew i shouldve rolled over and shot you on the wall

Riffrider300
05-15-2009, 06:18 PM

I remember that! Good times :rolleyes: lol