Best books about rock star/stars

PDA

View Full Version : Best books about rock star/stars

GuitarDTO
05-03-2009, 08:10 AM
I was looking through the music section at Barnes and Nobles and they had a Slash autobiography, a book about Metallica, and a couple about Nirvana (there were many more but these are the ones I was considering). I went ahead and picked up a book just titled Kurt Cobain because I really don't know much about the Nirvana/Cobain story. It got me wondering though, what are some of the best/most interesting reads and stories about bands or rock stars? I've heard there is a really interesting book about Motley Crue and the insanity that always surrounded them.....Thoughts?

BTW, I had no idea Cobain was such a loser and scummer.

paulgenovo
05-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Edit:^ what do you mean Cobain was a scummer, apart from the obvious?

I've read novels, and I think I've understood them, but my favourite book is still Cash by Johnny Cash.

Jhachey22
05-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Slash's Bio was very good. so was Jerry Garcia's (Captain Trips). i highly suggest reading the both of them. With Garcia's, it does not just tell you about his life, but it gives deep insight into the counterculture movement of the 60's.

and with Slash's bio, it gives you a look into the 80's rock scene in Cali.

GuitarDTO
05-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Johnny Cash huh? Never even thought about that.....I know the movie was interesting. Anyways, to answer your question about Cobain....the book I'm reading really paints him in a poor light. Mean, angry, tunes out authority as a kid, bully, stand offish, and when he was older he would basically live in filth and garbage filled apartments (part of the scummer comment)....not to mention the never ending drug addictions. I love his music but had no idea his life was so filthy the entire way. Makes for a good read though, but he's certainly no role model.

The Slash book looked a little interesting, but I get the feel its way more typical of a biography....sex, drugs, rock n roll. The Guns insights might be worth it though.

paulgenovo
05-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Anyways, to answer your question about Cobain....the book I'm reading really paints him in a poor light. Mean, angry, tunes out authority as a kid, bully, stand offish, and when he was older he would basically live in filth and garbage filled apartments (part of the scummer comment)....not to mention the never ending drug addictions. I love his music but had no idea his life was so filthy the entire way. Makes for a good read though, but he's certainly no role model.

Sounds like he was the posermakerboy of the 90's.

webaldo
05-03-2009, 08:34 AM
i red Jimi Hendrix biography by Charles R. Cross and it was nice.

i also red johnny cash and it is too religious, boring.. so i stopped, maybe if i continued it would be better :)

Skywalker007
05-03-2009, 08:41 AM
I read "Nobody Like You" the biography of Green Day. It was very well written and made me understand better how hard it actually is for a beginning band with a very poor background to work their way up in the music business. And also learned about he revival of the punk scene in the 90s. Also include some cool rare old pictures of the members.

DownInAHole.
05-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Anthony Kiedis (of RHCP fame)'s book Scar Tissue. His life story and includes his battle with heroin, his crazy childhood, sex, fame, and everything else. Excellent read.

GuitarDTO
05-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Anthony Kiedis (of RHCP fame)'s book Scar Tissue. His life story and includes his battle with heroin, his crazy childhood, sex, fame, and everything else. Excellent read.

Yeah, I saw this book as well. This is starting to seem like a coin toss because almost every good rock story is the same. Crazy childhood where the instrument was the means to take out the kids frustration....drugs, sex, rise to fame...etc. I was also considering a book about metal that had a 2 page synopsis on like 100 different metal bands going back to the early 80's

knilly
05-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Edit:^ what do you mean Cobain was a scummer, apart from the obvious?

I've read novels, and I think I've understood them, but my favourite book is still Cash by Johnny Cash.

high fidelity excellent film.

ive read the slash book was an excellent read, as waseric claptons (addicted to almost anything he came into contact with) but the best one ive read was ronnie wood. absoloute nutter

ryanfit4battle
05-08-2009, 11:12 AM
the Dirt(the Motley Crue story) is a great read. There was only was slow part but after that it got good again. basically it was all of the band writing what they remember aobut the earlier days of Motley Crue. some of the stories are so unbelievable. Also try Get in the Van by Henry Rollins. even if you dont like punk/hardcore or Black Flag try it. its a great book. its a compilation of his journal entries of being with black flag. you really learn what its like to be out on the road. great read

soundgarden19
05-08-2009, 11:50 AM
I read Goodbye 20th Century by David Browne, about Sonic Youth, and it was pretty good a lot of cool stories.