Nylon Strings on a regular acoustic

PDA

View Full Version : Nylon Strings on a regular acoustic

Ndelle94
05-03-2009, 06:06 PM
I was wondering if it was possible to put Nylon strings on a regular acoustic guitar... thats pretty much it. thanks

Dempsey68
05-03-2009, 06:12 PM
i don't see why not...

koxx
05-03-2009, 06:21 PM
I guess you could if you really wanted to but you would get little to no sound out of your guitar. It would also reduce tension on your neck which may possibly warp your neck to the point that a truss rod adjustment wouldn't be able to fix. In any case you really should not put nylon on a steel string guitar.

ReChord
05-03-2009, 07:29 PM
It won't damage your guitar, however there really isn't a point to putting them on. You see, the reason you don't put steel strings on a classical is because there is much less bracing on the classical, so the tension from the steel will pull the guitar and neck and will damage it badly. The nylon strings on a steel-string acoustic will not damage it, however there extra bracing on the steel-string acoustic will make it so that the guitar will not vibrate very well, and the nylon strings will be extremely quiet.

So you could technically do it without damage, but there isnt a point because it is way too quiet for it to really be feasible, and intonation would really suck :P

ClaptonWannabe
05-03-2009, 07:35 PM
i don't see why not...
Wrong.
It won't damage your guitar, however there really isn't a point to putting them on. You see, the reason you don't put steel strings on a classical is because there is much less bracing on the classical, so the tension from the steel will pull the guitar and neck and will damage it badly. The nylon strings on a steel-string acoustic will not damage it, however there extra bracing on the steel-string acoustic will make it so that the guitar will not vibrate very well, and the nylon strings will be extremely quiet. So you could technically do it without damage, but there isnt a point because it is way too quiet for it to really be feasible, and intonation would really suck :P
Wrong.
It would also reduce tension on your neck which may possibly warp your neck to the point that a truss rod adjustment wouldn't be able to fix. In any case you really should not put nylon on a steel string guitar.
Right.

GC Shred Off
05-03-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm going to chime in and argue that ReChord was right. It's extraordinarily unlikely that an an acoustic made for steel strings will have any negative side effects (aside from sounding like garbage) when fitted with nylon strings. The action will be goofy and the nylon strings probably wont fit in the nut, but once you stick steel strings back on, it will be back to normal.

I say this, because you can leave a guitar un-strung for a long time without any problems (assuming it isn't totally neglected). Nylon strings fit in somewhere between un-strung and steel strings, so you can be fairly certain that having them on wont break anything.

This is a dumb argument though, because it isn't what the guitar was made for. Short answer is don't bother.

Edit: Just for comparison, as quoted from some calssical site and the back of some of my string packages:

Classical Strings - 75 to 90 pounds
D'Addario EXP12's - 159 lbs
D'Addario EXP10's - 147 lbs

ReChord
05-03-2009, 08:09 PM
ClaptonWannabe and koxx:

Reduced tension won't warp your neck, especially if it has a truss rod in it. When the guitar is being built, it doesn't have strings on it, which would (if what you say is true) cause the neck to warp. That is a rumor that is widely believed but is untrue, similar to the one saying that you HAVE to change one string at a time to save your neck from warping. I still change them one at a time, but it won't damage it if you take them all off at once. The same argument can be made that if the above is true then down-tuning your guitar will also warp the neck because of the released tension, but many many people have been in extreme drop/alternate tunings below the standard tension and have had no problems with the guitar or neck.

If you are having problems with your neck if you downtune, restring, or have no strings on your guitar then there is something seriously wrong with your neck.

EDIT: I just read back what I wrote and realized it sounded very rude, I didn't mean to sound caustic, just defend my point. Oh, and I didn't see GC's post either...suppose it makes this post sort of moot.

ClaptonWannabe
05-03-2009, 08:17 PM
ClaptonWannabe and koxx:

Reduced tension won't warp your neck, especially if it has a truss rod in it. When the guitar is being built, it doesn't have strings on it, which would (if what you say is true) cause the neck to warp. That is a rumor that is widely believed but is untrue, similar to the one saying that you HAVE to change one string at a time to save your neck from warping. I still change them one at a time, but it won't damage it if you take them all off at once. The same argument can be made that if the above is true then down-tuning your guitar will also warp the neck because of the released tension, but many many people have been in extreme drop/alternate tunings below the standard tension and have had no problems with the guitar or neck.

If you are having problems with your neck if you downtune, restring, or have no strings on your guitar then there is something seriously wrong with your neck.

EDIT: I just read back what I wrote and realized it sounded very rude, I didn't mean to sound caustic, just defend my point. Oh, and I didn't see GC's post either...suppose it makes this post sort of moot.

After the guitar has been built it's shipped and strung very quickly. Same with changing your strings. You can obviously take them all off at once and even leave it for a few days, but beyond that you can risk warping the neck. Same with downtuning. You rarely leave a guitar downtuned for weeks on end.

In theory you can/should change the truss rod tension when you drop or increase a gauge, so putting on half-tension nylon strings (compared to average steel strings) without messing with your truss rod could play hell with the neck in the long term. I appreciate that in the short term it wouldn't matter, but if he left them on for a long time there's always a risk of something slipping up.

Not to mention that nylon strings don't have balls on the end do they? Suppose he could tie a knot or something.

And no offence taken I know you weren't being rude.