The Boss - The River

PDA

View Full Version : The Boss - The River

GettintheLedout
05-13-2009, 12:13 AM
So I just started listening to The River....

I can't decide if I like it.
On the one hand, it is Bruce's first pop album, and this disturbs me.
But on the other hand, it is catchy/fun.
But it could've been Darkness....

thoughts?

EDIT: should be no real reason to listen to this...

Lucas Townshend
05-13-2009, 03:20 PM
It's really good.And I don't think there's any problem with it being pop.I mean,Bruce had made pop songs before The River so...

GettintheLedout
05-13-2009, 06:24 PM
It's really good.And I don't think there's any problem with it being pop.I mean,Bruce had made pop songs before The River so...

not really... Darkness was the closest to the pop of The River. The songs became shorter and tighter, and more formulaic (verse/chorus/verse/chorus). But The River (IMO) marks the end of the sweeping grandeur that marked his early stuff, and the start of the aforementioned pop that dominated the 80's. ('cept Nebraska)

There isn't anything wrong with the pop, but for someone who liked Bruce for songs like New York City Serenade and Jungleland, this would be seen as blasphemy.

A Rolling Stone
05-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I like the River alot...I'll agree that the songs became more "compacted" as you said, but that's just another side of Bruce that is, in my opinion, just as good as his "epic free-form" side.

C_Miller
05-27-2009, 12:43 AM
The River is a fantastic album. All the pop songs are brilliantly written and the epics are inline with some of his earlier work. I love the title track and Independence Day really speaks to me and Drive All Night is downright beautiful.

So there are a few pop songs on there... it's a good thing he's one of the best pop rock songwriters in Rock and Roll.

uhh_me?
05-27-2009, 11:18 AM
i can't stand the production on the album. i can't stand how Hungry Heart is pitched up.

easily the weakest of his pre-'84 albums.