Opinion about vocals in this song

PDA

View Full Version : Opinion about vocals in this song

ice_622
05-14-2009, 07:31 AM
We have recently recorded a three track demo CD, which we plan on spreading around once everything's finalized. One problem though...we've been getting some extremely positive feedback about the music, but many are saying they're finding the vocals to be pretty annoying and that they're pulling down the overall quality level of the song. The last thing we can afford is to have a weakest link in the form of the vocals, since this is usually what many people listen to first (not me, but then again I'm a guitar freak :P ).

We've been thinking about giving the vocalist the boot for quite some time, since he always seems to struggle with vocal strength stamina (tends to go flat when hitting high notes, both live as well as during the recording process), but haven't done so because, to be quite honest, we just can't find anyone else to do the job. we live in a small country where the majority of rock/metal oriented vocalists can growl but not sing cleanly, and we definitely don't want growled vocals. unfortunately for us its pretty much a death/hardcore scene over here, not to say some of the bands aren't decent, but its just not what we want.

So we're looking to get some constructive feedback "off the street", most especially regarding the vocals. The strongest opinion is given by those who can be objective about the whole thing, not people who know us and have been coming to our shows. Being in the band with the guy makes it very hard to be objective as well, since this is the only way we've ever heard our songs. if we see that the vocals = bad opinion is the general consensus, then we know the time has come for some changes to occur.

follow this link (ITS A ROUGH MIX) : http://www.myspace.com/cyanidemalta

Cheers

SeeEmilyPlay
05-14-2009, 07:35 AM
It sounds like he's really struggling to get the words out. And His range isn't that great. But if you can't find anyone else, you should keep him. What about vocal lessons? Have you guys thought about investing in that?

ice_622
05-14-2009, 07:42 AM
yes in fact that "forced delivery", as u very well observed, is what's putting many people off. I believe he has started to go the lessons again (he'd stopped going for about four years, and it shows I guess). however we're not sure if this will be enough to "correct" whatever needs to be corrected

.starrk
05-14-2009, 07:49 AM
To be honest, I don't see a big problem with his voice. At least, nothing that can't be fixed. It just sounds like he is off tempo to be honest. I keep humming the melody while I listen to the song and he is always like a millisecond behind me. It also sounds like his voice sometimes doesn't fit the key of the song, but only in a few sections.

SeeEmilyPlay
05-14-2009, 07:56 AM
yes in fact that "forced delivery", as u very well observed, is what's putting many people off. I believe he has started to go the lessons again (he'd stopped going for about four years, and it shows I guess). however we're not sure if this will be enough to "correct" whatever needs to be corrected

I think some people have potential to sing very well with some lessons- you know like just sewing up some loose ends. I'm not sure how versatile his voice will be even with lessons. It sounds like he will always be a screamer and not a singer. Some people just don't have that. And I know what you mean, it's a rariety to find good singers- same with around here. Well work with him and see what the fans think too. But if it's pissing off everyone then do what's right for the band.

inlovewithmusic
05-14-2009, 08:14 AM
It just sounds like he is off tempo to be honest. I keep humming the melody while I listen to the song and he is always like a millisecond behind me. It also sounds like his voice sometimes doesn't fit the key of the song, but only in a few sections.

This is what i also felt ....but to be honest ..he does not really have a good voice also ...
at least not for what you guys are playing ....its heavy music ...and the vocals sound a little behind ... I think you should ask the guy to take some lessons ...it really helps ..believe me ....if it doesn't ...then thats the sign that he's not really the guy for you ...

Andy2k64
05-14-2009, 08:14 AM
he has great potential just needs a bit of breath control. sounds like he's struggling get his words out cuz of lack of air control. id say some good breathing exercises will sort it out. sounds awesome tho good luck

Ulalume
05-14-2009, 08:47 AM
I actually think he is pretty great. He sounds like a cross between Metallica's singer and Rise Against's. Note, I pretty much hate both of those bands.

I think the best thing for him to do would be to re-record the part after practicing a bit more, get more in time and practice breathing a bit more.