Kirk Hammet:Sad But True

PDA

View Full Version : Kirk Hammet:Sad But True

WrappedInCold
06-28-2004, 01:31 PM
Intro

Welcome to the first of articles in a hopefully sucessfull series. This article is designed to help broaden people's play styles by teaching them the play styles of other guitarists. First guy up is Kirk Hammet, lead guitarist of the love them/hate them band, Metallica.

Kirk Hammet, as you may know, is not the best guitarist. So why am I writing an article about a guy who I don't think is the best guitarist? Thats because Kirk falls under a different category in my terms. Whenever I hear the solos from One or Master of Puppets, or Fade to Black, I breakdown and cry. I'm sure there are others who have undergone the Kirk expierence. He may not be the best guitarist, but the melodic tunes going inside that man's head is remarakble. He has a lot of talent, for almost every song that Metallica make, he finds a solo to match the song. Theres no denying the fact that some people only listen to Metallica for the solos Kirk has, although not disrespecting Hetfield or Ulrich, I believe the real music of Metallica comes from Hammett. So whats the category he falls in? Well its hard to describe, I think its enough said that he's the lead guitarist for Metallica, enough said. Metallica, not to brag over one of my favorite bands though, is in a genre of their own. They got metal, thrash metal, acoustic ballads, instrumental songs, country, a bit of the blues, alternative rock, simply put their just Metallica. whats even harder to do is to find a lead guitarist that can incorporate all of these styles in his playing. Not that is something.

This article will include a bit of information on Kirk, the scales he plays in for the solos of his songs, some of his most famous solos, and much more.

Kirk Hammet (Novemeber 18, 1962-Present)

At the age of 15, Kirk started to get in to guitar and bought his first guitar. At that time, he was listening to songs made by Jimi Hendrix and Cream, who were as you can see some influences on Kirk Hammets play style.

He formed a band called Exodus, and played with them for a brief time. They would play cover songs for bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. They would also open up a couple of shows for another band known as Metallica, after wacthing them perform, Kirk was quite impressed.

Lead guitarisit of Metallica, Dave Mustaine, would eventually get kicked out of the band after a fight with James Hetfield. Metallica invited Kirk to an audition for lead guitarist in New York, and without a second thought, Kirk joined the band, leaving the band he himself had formed, in the dust.

View of The Fingerboard

This section will explain the scales that Kirk plays in for his solos, I suggest all who read this article have a guitar ready in hand, from now on, there will be tabs of scales and of Kirk's most famous solos.

Lucky for you, Kirk Hammet plays frequently in these same three scales, and they are as follows.

1. Pentatonic Minor Formula
E Pentatonic Minor

E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|--------------------------------------------------8-10-12-15-17-20-22----
G|-----------------------------------9-12-14-16--------------------------------
D|-------------------------9-12-14----------------------------------------------
A|------------10-12-14---------------------------------------------------------
E|--10-12-15-------------------------------------------------------------------

E|-7-10-12-15-17-19-22-----------------------------------------------------
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Keep in mind that these are the notes Kirk likes to play when
playing in these scales, same applies to the other scales.

2.Dorian Formula
E Dorian

E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G|---------------------------------------------9-11-12-14-15-----------------
D|------------------------------9-11-12-14------------------------------------
A|------------------10-12-14---------------------------------------------------
E|-10-12-14-15----------------------------------------------------------------

E|-----------------------------------7-9-10-12-14-15-17-19-20-22--------
B|8-10-12-14-15-17-19-20-22----------------------------------------------
G|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3.Aeolian Formula
E Aeolian

G|--------------------------------------------9-11-12-14-16------------------
D|-----------------------------9-10-12-14-------------------------------------
A|-----------------10-12-14----------------------------------------------------
E|-10-12-14-15----------------------------------------------------------------

E|---------------------------------7-8-10-12-14-15-17-19-20-22------
B|-8-10-12-14-15-17-19-20-22-----------------------------------------
G|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I think its important to know these scales he plays in, because when learning the solos, it will be much easier to learn them when knowing the songs. It will be even easier if you are trying to tab the solos out by ear, because now you know where he solos off from(most of the time, there are some songs in which his solos are a bit strange, like in Hero of The Day).

Now that we got the scales out of the way, lets get to what everybody's been waiting for, the solos. We'll start from where it all began, Metallica's debut album, Kill'em'all. here's the solo from Seek and Destroy, which is largely based on the E Pentatonic Minor scale.

A Kirk Lick From Back In The Day

Seek and Destroy(Not Full Solo, Keep In Mind)

E|---------12--15p12-------12--15p12--17p12--15p12-------12-------
B|12/15------------------12------------------------------------15-----------
G|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E|--15p12--17p12--15p12-----12------12--------------------------------
B|-------------------------------15------15-----15b--------(15)---(15)\----
G|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E|------------------------------------7----7--10p7---------7----7---------
B|------------------------------------------------------10--------------------
G|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|-10p7--10p7------------------------*---------------*------------------
G|------------------9---7---------7------9b--9r(9)p7--------------------
D|----------------------------9--------------------------------9~----------
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------

E-----------------------------17b~----------16-15-14-------------------------
B-----------------------------------------15-----------15-14--------15brb~--
G--------------------------------------15----------------------16---------------
D-(9)--------------------------------------------------------------17---------
A-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GoodCharloteSux
06-28-2004, 01:41 PM
thanx a lot was gonna post something asking about which scales he is using

tongue untied
06-28-2004, 07:31 PM
can u get some of the kill em all solos on here like whiplash, those r tough to find rite. or maybe u could do poor twisted me or cure

WrappedInCold
06-28-2004, 09:31 PM
okay, i have every metallica tab book in existence, along with every led zeppelin tab book, and jimi hendrix, but thats beside the point, solos are not a probelm, but im not going to tab any of hetfields solos, only kirks

Backup Guitar
06-29-2004, 08:35 PM
Okay, you gotta fix one thing:

to do tab properly, do the following:

<CODE> blablabla </CODE>

but replace "<" and ">" with "[" and "]"

WrappedInCold
07-02-2004, 11:53 PM
*Continuation of Post*

With that solo, you notice how Kirk Hammet starts it off with some brief outbursts from his guitar. This solo I consider is a real easy one to learn, mainly because its based on the E Pentatonic Minor, and if you're like me, when not playing any songs on the guitar, I find myself jamming around the pentatonic scale. Its just how I learned, and my fingers are more used to that position. After studying his play style, most of Kirks solos are on the Pentatonic scale; I wonder if hes like me when it comes to that Pentatonic comfort level.

Continuing with the lesson, before any more solos, take note of the * in the solo. This might be hard for begining guitar players to comprehend, so i'm going to explain it in full depth.

E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G|-----------9b---9r(9)p7----------------------------------------------------
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this lick from the solo, Kirk bends the string, reverses in back to its normal string postion, and pulls off to the seventh fret without hitting the string more than once. Its an excellent example of how when various guitar techniques fuse together, the create a nice lick such as this.

Note: Do not be afraid of the tab of Seek and Destroy, it may look complicated, but it really isn't, i suggest when learning the solo, to get a metronome, and slow down the beat of the song, and as you learn the song, gradually increase the speed for perfection.

Kirks Other Side

Kirk doesn't only play fast catchy solos, Kirk has another side,a more melodic side. We first see his more melodic side in Metallica's second album, Ride The Lightning, and from this album, we learn more of Kirk's style. Just look at the intro solo to Fade To Black, it was from there that i think people actually recognized Kirk, because he stood out. He may be the lesser voice of Metallica, but its his solos that truly define Metallica as a band of its own.

If someone can play guitar fast and sends across a cool vibe, thats amazing I believe. If someone can make you cry when listening to a guitar solo; now thats where you got something. Kirks best solos aren't when he plays super duper fast, its his melodic, uprising solos that are something else. I am not going to lie, the first time I heard Fade to Black's intro solo, I cried and I was like "Holy Grail." I really didn't understand the concept of melodies you know, I had been too in to those dark heavy metal riffs with chromatic solos. At first, I didn't even want to get to know Metallica, or to know Kirk. I than heard Fade To Black, and I cursed at myself for not allowing myself the oppurtunity to hear the band. So, far all you're pleasure, here is Fade to Black(whole intro solo,thats it although).

Fade To Black (Intro Solo)

E------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B----------7-----------------7--8/10----8-10-12-10-8-10-------------------
G------7-(7)------------------------------------------------------------------
D--/9----------9-(9)-----------------------------------------------------------
A------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B--12p10p8/7-7h8-7---7--------------------------------------8p7~-8-10~
G-------------------------9----9--7------------7/6~--6h7---------------------
D--------------------------------------7--9~-------------------------------------
A------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Backup Guitar
07-03-2004, 10:22 AM
To get the tabs perfect on the first try, what you want to do is type them all out in microsoft notepad - all computers have it, and its way easier to type out tabs on, trust me.

WrappedInCold
07-06-2004, 06:53 PM
i don't know when im going to work on this again...maybe in two months, im going to go away on summer vacation for two months in europe...if any one wants to help with the article, you're more than welcome to

nOtReGiStErEd
07-09-2004, 10:35 PM
i'd like to point out that mustaine was not kicked out of metallica because of a fight with hetfield: it was because he (despite his guitar playing abilities) was a drunk, even worse than the rest of them.

sk8terpunk5001
07-28-2004, 02:48 PM
id like to help u with that artical contact me at aim or yahooo messenger look at my profile for my s/n

2000man
08-02-2004, 01:42 PM
I really like this idea.

Maybe we could all pitch in and do one a month.

theyab
08-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by nOtReGiStErEd
i'd like to point out that mustaine was not kicked out of metallica because of a fight with hetfield: it was because he (despite his guitar playing abilities) was a drunk, even worse than the rest of them.

which might have led to a fight with hetfield?

YouKnowYourRite
08-13-2004, 04:09 PM
good idea...you should do one for dave mustaine.

SocialD
08-17-2004, 02:56 AM
very nice, i like his scales

WhiteKnight123
08-17-2004, 04:51 AM
Welcome to the first of articles in a hopefully sucessfull series.

I'll start with my cons, i really dont like it when an article starts that way, hopefully secessfull just bugs me in all articles, but thats me.

Very very very very well written and thought out, you defiantly did your homework, with the advise given to you, i'd give it 5 stars defiantly, we need more articles like this. It's also a lesson too, which is good, so i don't know exactly what catagory to put it under.

WrappedInCold
08-18-2004, 09:15 AM
alright, im on vacation now, an this thing has been on for some time, im gonna work on it when i come back, i also had some other guitarists in mind to do when i came back, but first i want to do kirk hammet, then jimi hendrix...now is the time to make requests for any guitarist you like play style.

im coming back on september so until than, peace.

solidsnake
08-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Nice article.

ugm2kaar
09-15-2004, 05:48 AM
Very enlightening.

bassketcase
09-17-2004, 04:13 PM
i think it was very thorough and well-written

barn_04
09-30-2004, 06:50 PM
very nice

slash_620
10-27-2004, 10:10 AM
i would defintly give this 5 stars.and it would be brilliant if we could have articles like this on different guitarists.

spookykid_6000
10-29-2004, 11:48 PM
Please keep in mind that the reason Kirk is bagged is because he's playing this 'soul' stuff in metal, thrash metal, and his solos are out of place in thrash metal.

noodles_wazaman
11-26-2004, 02:28 AM
i wouldn't mind seeing/possibly doing one myself on adam jones from tool. i am on holidays for over 2 months (god bless university life) and i have plenty of time to write stuff. i'd like to think that i could be trusted to do a decent job like this one, not like some of the dumbasses who write some of the album reviews etc that are really ****ty.

agreth_3rd
12-17-2004, 02:27 AM
kirk hammet solos definitely do not make me break down and cry. I'm not a fan. at all.

Thedarkwolf
02-11-2005, 02:45 PM
just a question,arent all the stuff on (Kill'em All) were written by dave mustane,becuz i read that one be4,they said that when dave mustane got kicked out all the stuff on kill'em all were written by dave so kirk only had to play them ,dunno not sure though

kirk_rules!
02-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Hammett, not Hammet.
cool article though

Zabka
02-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Good

Nirvana_GodSmak
02-22-2005, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by Thedarkwolf
just a question,arent all the stuff on (Kill'em All) were written by dave mustane,becuz i read that one be4,they said that when dave mustane got kicked out all the stuff on kill'em all were written by dave so kirk only had to play them ,dunno not sure though

Mustaine co-wrote most of 'Kill'Em all'. You can hear similarities in both of the bands first albums, they used many of the same riffs in each. An example is 'Megadeth - Mechanix' being pretty much the same song as 'Metallica - The Four Horsemen', just twice as fast.

He also co-wrote some of 'Ride the Lightning,' too, most notably 'The Call of Ktulu'. 'Megadeth - Hanger 18' has many parts of 'The Call of Ktulu' in it.

It's rumored (meaning, Mustaine says) that alot of 'Master of Puppets' was also co-written by him. There could very well be parts of MoP that Mustaine wrote, but Metallica has yet to admit that though.

Mustaine has used alot of the same riiffs that Metallica used throughout his career, I've only listed a couple.

I hope that cleared some up.

Edit: Added Quote.

kirk_rules!
02-24-2005, 12:09 AM
i enjoyed having this article because of the explanation of the scales kirk uses, although i payed $18 for "The Art of Kirk Hammett" book.