Asian Rockers.

PDA

View Full Version : Asian Rockers.

ryantp
05-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Being Asian I pay special attention to rockers that are Asian also. So far I know a couple on the top of my head but was wondering if people here knew more.

So far I got...

James Iha (APC, Smashing Pumpkins)
Herman Li (Dragonforce)
Hiro Yamamoto (Soundgarden)
Teppei Teranishi (Thrice)

I think that's it... Of course your got DJ Hahn and Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park, but I hardly consider them as a band that's worthwhile.

There are also some exclusive Asian-American bands like "Seriously", and you got the Youtube songwriting sensation David Choi but they suck balls.

List them if you know please.

LordPino
05-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Gentaro Satumura, Syu, Takayoshi Ohmura..
That's all I can think of atm.

ryantp
05-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Gentaro Satumura, Syu, Takayoshi Ohmura..
That's all I can think of atm.

I was referring to American bands with Asian members, but this will do also. I listen to a bit of Japanese Rock although most of them are a bit predictable.

LordPino
05-18-2009, 01:57 PM
I was referring to American bands with Asian members, but this will do also. I listen to a bit of Japanese Rock although most of them are a bit predictable.

Sorry, thought you meant Japanese rock in general. My bad.

ryantp
05-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Sorry, thought you meant Japanese rock in general. My bad.

Wasn't dogging on you, just stating that J-Rock doesn't have much variety.

LightninStrikes
05-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Loudness

The guitarist Akira Takasaki was called the japanese Eddie VanHalen in his time.

flabber.gast
05-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Japan has some of the craziest music i've heard though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHD6UV09pcI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysCeaED_6Eg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfqUQwENyQE

soundgarden19
05-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Isn't Miki from Lush Asian? Boris, Melt Banana.

kebzicum
05-19-2009, 07:34 AM
that guy from trivium

heafy or sumthing

he kinda looks asian

MasterRayUK
05-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Listen to X-Japan, a J-Rock band from the 80's-90's. Friggin awesome, listen to 'Art of Life' tis a 30min song, but is well worth the listen. I'm sure this will change your perspective on jap bands.

DiminishedFifth
05-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Predictable? xD
Listen to Dir en grey's first album. Then the second. Then the third. And so on. NONE of them sound the same.

And Art of Life isn't worth the listen for me... it's just too long with very little change. Check out Kurenai, Silent Jealousy, or Dahlia for a good X JAPAN song.

Aside from that...

They guitarist of Veil of Maya is Blackenese.
And the drummer of Meshuggah.. haake or something like that... I can't remember off the top of my head right now.

paulgenovo
05-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Guitar Wolf

Jonakin
05-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Tim Yeung - Divine heresy
Dave Suzuki - Vital Remains
Chi Cheng - Deftones

ryantp
05-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Tim Yeung - Divine heresy
Dave Suzuki - Vital Remains
Chi Cheng - Deftones

Totally forgot about Chi, definitely one of my asian rock heroes.

DollSteak
06-02-2009, 02:50 PM
i totally love Paintbox :)
just a question, i heard something from a japanese band called Maximum the Hormone, they sound not bad, but i heard of 'em only from a japanese cartoon opening (death note), did they release anything else?

Cianyx
06-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Quite a bit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_the_Hormone_discography

jhfields
06-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Tim Yeung

rypher21
06-05-2009, 02:43 AM
slapshock and chicosci..

tom1thomas1
06-05-2009, 08:53 AM
haha I don't know much about asian music, except in my Indonesian class we learned about some bands called Peterpan (not rock though, crappy pop) and Superman is Dead (so called 'punk' but I reckon they were just pop with distorted guitars). Can't help laughing at the names. There's a sequel to the movie Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, called Global Metal, I'm not sure if it's out yet but it's about rock and metal in non-western countries. lol they interviewed Kerry King from Slayer and he's like 'wtf they listen to us dressed in Arabian dresses? And there was some guy that talked about how he played Purple Haze at a school assembly in his full robes and stuff. That's Middle Eastern though not Asian so I'm going way off topic now...

SeeEmilyPlay
06-05-2009, 08:55 AM
:heart: apc