what can I do to make solos more interesting over just C chord.

PDA

View Full Version : what can I do to make solos more interesting over just C chord.

Rounder3
05-23-2009, 10:26 PM
I have a backing track that is just C for about 3 minutes. I know I can do C major scale and use arpeggios for the C chord but what else can I do to make it more interesting.

meatwad357
05-23-2009, 10:35 PM
make sounds a guitar just cant do, like pink floyd ala saucerful of secrets. 3 minutes is a long time

Seryaph
05-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Try using the C minor scale. In essence, use notes that are outside of the C Maj scale.

psychokiller99
05-23-2009, 11:03 PM
modes.

Deep*Kick
05-24-2009, 12:45 AM
change the chord progression. one chord for a whole song is not worth your time soloing over

silly6-string
05-24-2009, 01:13 AM
1 would be boring. U would have to come up with a lot of different sounds. 3 min is a whole song.

shr3dfr3ak
05-24-2009, 02:13 AM
I have a backing track that is just C for about 3 minutes. I know I can do C major scale and use arpeggios for the C chord but what else can I do to make it more interesting.
http://www.guitarshredfreaks.com/ enough said!! :liplick:

Zaphod_Beeblebr
05-24-2009, 04:28 AM
http://www.guitarshredfreaks.com/ enough said!! :liplick:

Don't advertise.

TS: This is one of the very few situations where I will say modes have a use; if you learn the major and dominant modes you should be able to get some much more interesting sounds as well as possibly using some chord-tone lead soloing but I'll agree with everyone who said that one chord for an entire track is way too long.

xxdarrenxx
05-24-2009, 05:09 AM
change the chord progression. one chord for a whole song is not worth your time soloing over

Tell that to Satriani.

In Raspberry Jam Delta-V, almost the entire song has just this bassline (Static B vamp), and I like every moment of it.

S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
-----------------------------------|-----------------------------------|
-----------------------------------|-----------------------------------|
--2b-0-2-L-L-0-2-0-2-0-2---0---0-0-|--2b-0-2-L-L-0-2-0-4-2-0---0---0-0-|
-------------------------2---2-----|-------------------------2---2-----|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtkOSsHedzw

steven seagull
05-24-2009, 06:44 AM
That's down to you - ultimately everybody has 12 notes on their guitar but they still manage to sound different.

This has nothing to do with scales, or modes, or techniques...this is about YOU. If you want to make interesting music then you have to start thinking in sounds, not just in terms of "guitar stuff I know". Saying to yourself "This is in C so I can play the C major scale or C major arpeggios" is of course going to sond boring because you're not really playing music, you're just stringing together a bunch of familiar patterns.

You need to start thinking, listening and understanding more. The C major scale isn't a pattern for you to play, it has a pattern but that's just how it appears on the guitar. It's a set of sounds, notes separated by intervals and you need to drill yourself on how it sounds and how those notes relate to each other because that's what's crucial, not the shape - the shape is incidental and simply a quirk of the guitar, you don't need a guitar to make music or play a scale. You don't even need an instrument. That scale is your aural reference, a framework of sounds that are safe to work with over a certain backing, with handy names and functions assigned to each note to help things even more. It's a head's up for you, a way to help you know how certain notes are going to sound before you play them, And by association, if you know what the notes of the scale are going to sound like you can know what the notes outside the scale will sound like too. They aren't part of the scale itself because they don't sound as nice but they're no less useable, you just have to know how to make their sound work in the context of the scale so that often means using them as passing tones, either with chromatic shifts or bends for example.

If you can't make music without a guitar then you'll never be able to make it with one. By that I mean you need to be able to draw on whatever musical knowledge and experience you have to enable you to create someting of your own. If you can create something in your head then you should be able to hum or sing it, and that's a damnsight easier then playing it on the guitar. Why? Because you know how to "play" any note you want with your voice, you've got complete control of it as well as knowing exactly what to do to get te sound you want.

You simply don't have that level of mastery over the guitar yet so you can't just go straight to it. Listen to your backing and compose ideas in your head, then sing them back to yourself and listen to how they sound, and only after that figure out how to play them on the guitar. The more you do that the stronger you'll make the connections between what you hear in your head, the sounds that you finally make and whatever it is you physically had to do to make those sounds.

Remember the thing that matters most when playing the guitar is the note you're about to play.

Deep*Kick
05-24-2009, 06:56 AM
^epic post. Open your ears TS :)

xxdarrenxx
05-24-2009, 08:21 AM
I'd like to add a few tips to make it work;

Satriani does something very smart if I may say so in Raspberry jam.

Notice the different notes on the bass line

What he does is by smarty rhythmic playing, forcing the ear to shift the tonal center, makign the individual notes act like root notes or individual tonal centers.

So he sometimes resolves on a different note, doing a pseudo modal inflection, by making very smart use of off rhythm motif and certain note accenting.

But ye, he's master in that kind of stuff, but just practice all day long, untill you get into that awareness of the track.

I gotta go now, but I will elaborate on this later today with an example of how to psychology fool the ear to shift tonal centres on other notes in the chord.

Freepower
05-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Right, I'ma archiving this before I completely forget about it. Nice stuff steve and darren. :)