Getting the "Matt Bellamy" style

PDA

View Full Version : Getting the "Matt Bellamy" style

Kenjo Queso
05-27-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm looking into upgrading my equipment and I want to know How I can get my playing to have similarities to that of the muse guitarist Matt bellamy.

Im talking what type of guitar, and any different pedals I may require.

Thanks

Echoplex
05-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Get a midi Kaoss pad in your guitar. I think he uses it to control a Whammy Pedal.

Rasta Dogg
05-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Ask, and so ye shall receive:

http://www.guitarfxdepot.com/rigs/matt-bellamy-muse-guitar-rig/

http://www.uberproaudio.com/content/view/227/38/

steve_muse
05-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Buy yourself a custom made Manson. ;)

clayonfire
05-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Umm, this might be the wrong forum for this, but I'll just contribute;

Being the huge Muse fan I am, I reccomend to you.... www.musewiki.org for all of your Muse wonderings.

anyways, here's somethings you might want; I think I heard that Matt uses a Diezel VH4 while on tour, and You'll need a whammy pedal of some sort (Digitech WH-4 will work fine, he even used that during Hullabaloo), a Line 6 DL4 I think...hmm....

As for Guitar, you either need to have a lot of money and Live in England, or be good at building/customizing your own guitars; He uses only custom guitars made for him by Manson Guitars in England. http://www.mansonguitars.co.uk/Muse%20gallery/index.htm There's a gallery. Enjoy.

Yeah, um, for anything else, I'd check out Musewiki. They've got everything you'll ever need and more.

Kenjo Queso
05-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Nice one guys,
not only do i live in england, but i actually live just down the street from mansons in exeter.

I dont think I'm quite ready for the customs yet

Im definitely going to look into the digitech and the fuzz factory pedals though.

BrixDK
05-29-2009, 03:00 PM
In the early days he used a weird looking gibson les paul held together with ducktape. That might be more affordable.

and then you'll definetely need a fuzz pedal and a whammy.

and start learning piano : )

Angelo?
05-29-2009, 05:22 PM
You live near Mansons?

:peace:

Oh and if your going to get a fuzz factory, make sure you have a good tube amp to feed it through. i dont know if its something only ive found, but using it with a medicore solid state just makes it sound hash and trebely with no low end. oh and ONLY humbuckers, again, results in a similar sound. i wonder what both would sound like...

*goes off to buy a an encore strat and amp...*

:)

Kenjo Queso
05-31-2009, 06:12 PM
So,
Does that mean the fuzz factory wont work if I run it through my Line 6 spider Jam?

TJ1991
05-31-2009, 07:37 PM
The Fuzz Factory's just a pedal, it should work with anything. But to do it properly you'd want it built into your guitar, like Bellamy does. I know Mansons fit then for 250, so it's pretty steep once you add the cost of the actual pedal on there...

Angelo?
06-01-2009, 06:28 AM
no the fuzz factory will work with anything, ive just found it sounds a lot better with a tube amp. but thats total preference on my behalf, id just keep that in mind and try it out yourself with your spider (i cant comment on this, havent tried it in a spider myself)

if your trying to keep it cheap, id say the fuzz factory is an unfortunate requirement (or the red witch fuzz god, very similar) then after that just get a multi-effects pedal with phaser, pitch shift, some synths, whatever you think you'll need. replicating his actual rig would cost a BOMB.

hippotato7
06-01-2009, 07:39 AM
10,000 dollars and a lot of time

Hereiwas
06-01-2009, 04:47 PM
As for Guitar, you either need to have a lot of money and Live in England, or be good at building/customizing your own guitars; He uses only custom guitars made for him by Manson Guitars in England. http://www.mansonguitars.co.uk/Muse%20gallery/index.htm There's a gallery. Enjoy.

Not so! He also owns an Alden Resonator as seen in the Plug In Baby video, which I happen to also own. It is pretty good, but gets harsh and trebly with distortion. so :shrug: I dont know if it's any good overall.

Kenjo Queso
06-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Cheers for the help

Probably not much use but I'm on a budget of about a Grand, I'l look into the Alden resonator thing on some sites, and i'l see if I Can try the FF on a L6 spider jam in store, they're pretty good in mansons with little stuff like that so it should be fine with them...

jolleymuse
06-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Just thought that i should point out he has never used the resonator live or on recordings it was just used in the video for Plug In Baby.
And yes, he used a Diezel VH4, Marshall 1959 Handwired and a Vox AC30
Fuzz Factorys are cool, as are Whammys, but he doesnt actually use them very often at all. Fuzz Factory was only used in Plug In Baby as far as i am aware and whammy, in a couple of songs (Invincible, Fury, Sunburn etc)
As for Guitars, deffinitly something with humbuckers (not EMG's ffs), id recomend a les paul style guitar (matt used a Gibson Les Paul DC Pro in the showbiz days)

Kenjo Queso
06-02-2009, 06:50 PM
How about a fender telecaster? *edit* to be more precise, a fender telecaster deluxe Blackout?

Also, I believe he uses the FF to get alot of his distortion for most of the tracks.
Citizens erased and super massive Black hole are two that springs to mind immediatly

Angelo?
06-03-2009, 07:10 PM
The ff can sound normal too ( though i do prefer its crazy settings :p: ), so he may use it for more songs than you think. Dont quote me however. if its not the fuzz factory it'll be the amp's distortion, because ive never heard of any other distotion pedal being used when it comes to muse. and to get that... well you need... :gunsfirin

or lots of money :D