The Band

PDA

View Full Version : The Band

esp1234
05-29-2009, 08:48 PM
I recently got into these guys and I don't know why I waited so long to listen to them cause theyre freakin kick ass!!

Even bought the last waltz dvd. Love watching it loud everytime

Anybody else like the band?

Starkie
05-29-2009, 08:55 PM
awesome band! i love atlantic city and chest fever

A Rolling Stone
05-30-2009, 12:52 PM
^^Atlantic City is actually a Bruce Springsteen Cover, but a good cover at any rate.
I'll admit I've been looking on a thread for these guys forever, but I keep forgetting to make one. Music From Big Pink, S/t, and Stagefright are all classics.
I'm actually reading Levon's book right now, This Wheel's On Fire.
Hopefully this thread won't die at any rate.

hendrixfanatic
05-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Several Band threads have already come and gone, which is a pity, since they were great! They have the best band name ever (with The Who as a close second), great musicians, great songs, and most of all, three amazing singers! Speaking of which, who is your favourite Band vocalist? Mine's Rick Danko, I love his sometimes almost-off key singing, very intense and emotional (and he's a very underrated bass player as well).

I really need to read This Wheel's on Fire, but it's very hard to find in Belgium. Is it a good read? I've heard Levon is pretty bitter against Robbie...

fattypumbaa
05-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Love the Band. Dylan w/ the Band. Love Levon's recent solo stuff. Wish he'd make it out here to the west coast.

imgooley
05-30-2009, 06:07 PM
The Band is one of my favorite bands :)

Tears of Rage FTW

master
05-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Fantastic songwriters, I love them to death. But the studio versions don't compare to the live versions.

ryantp
05-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Great band very obscure though. When I first heard of them I snickered when my friend told me their name is "The Band".

eberg2
05-31-2009, 12:41 AM
The Band is the greatest band name to be the name of a band

hehe^horrible humor

, but

anyways

watching the Last Waltz is always an experience, but they are insanely underrated, and always great to listen to

esp1234
05-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Several Band threads have already come and gone, which is a pity, since they were great! They have the best band name ever (with The Who as a close second), great musicians, great songs, and most of all, three amazing singers! Speaking of which, who is your favourite Band vocalist? Mine's Rick Danko, I love his sometimes almost-off key singing, very intense and emotional (and he's a very underrated bass player as well).

I really need to read This Wheel's on Fire, but it's very hard to find in Belgium. Is it a good read? I've heard Levon is pretty bitter against Robbie...

yeah, I'd have to say Rick is my favorite singer. I love how he sings unfaithful servant Puts a lot of emotion in it, and I also like his Don't Do it cover from the last waltz.

R.I.P Rick:(

A Rolling Stone
05-31-2009, 11:53 AM

It's a fantastic read. Levon's style of writing is just so blunt that it's great. And yes, he does make Robbie look like a total asshat.

hendrixfanatic
05-31-2009, 05:11 PM
My favourite Rick Danko performances are Stage fright and It makes no difference.

BrainDamage
05-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Speaking of which, who is your favourite Band vocalist? Rick Danko by far. He has such a gritty voice, but it's freaking awesome.

Music From Big Pink is one of my favorite albums. These guys were really, really good.

A Rolling Stone
05-31-2009, 10:31 PM
^^Speaking of that album, I've been playing music in the basement of my Grandma's brick house that looks just like Big Pink...So I've named the music that we play there the Basement Tapes from Big Red :p:

And yes, Danko is my favourite vocalist, with Levon then Richard not far behind.

BrainDamage
06-01-2009, 12:25 AM
^^Speaking of that album, I've been playing music in the basement of my Grandma's brick house that looks just like Big Pink...So I've named the music that we play there the Basement Tapes from Big Red :p: Big Pink is in upstate NY, right by Levon Helm's house. He holds concerts called "rambles" in his house, and when I get the money, I'm gonna take a drive up there with nothing but Dylan/The Band CDs in my car and go see a ramble and visit Big Pink.

radio_schizo
06-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Just listening to 'em now actually :D - Richard Manuel, what a voice! he's my favourite vocalist, followed by Danko.

Overall though such a ridiculously talented group of musicians. Danko's bass and Helm's drum are so damn tight. Then you get the great array of musical sounds from Garth Hudson, Helm's mandolin, Robertsons bluesy guitar licks + plus the amazing mix of voices throughout.

Really great band - you can tell these guys had such a passion and natural talent for music.

Thefallofman
06-01-2009, 11:48 AM
I've just sort of learned about the band's inner turmoil around the Last Waltz and it's really made me feel sorry for Levon. Robbie was a great writer, but he seemed like a total dick towards the end of the group's original incarnation.

I'm seeing Levon with the Black Crowes this Summer and I'm stoked.

A Rolling Stone
06-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Big Pink is in upstate NY, right by Levon Helm's house. He holds concerts called "rambles" in his house, and when I get the money, I'm gonna take a drive up there with nothing but Dylan/The Band CDs in my car and go see a ramble and visit Big Pink.

:eek: That would be amazing. Didn't the Crowes record Cabin Fever in Levon's Barn or something?

esp1234
06-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Did Ronnie Hawkins sing with The Band? I think I've read that somewhere, but I'm not sure now

BrainDamage
06-01-2009, 08:11 PM
:eek: That would be amazing. Didn't the Crowes record Cabin Fever in Levon's Barn or something? Yes they did. Well, the sessions were dubbed "Cabin Fever" but I don't think that will be the name of the album.

A Rolling Stone
06-01-2009, 09:22 PM
^^Oh yeah, I remember reading on amorica2 that it's gonna be double album called "Before the Frost, Until the Freeze" and it's gonna be all bluegrassy and what not.
Sounds Delicious :liplick:

cornmancer
06-01-2009, 09:55 PM
I love their work with Bob Dylan, but I never bothered to listen to the other stuff. I always think, "Oh yeah I should listen to The Band on Last.Fm or Playlist" but don't get around to it. I feel ashamed of myself :sad:

radio_schizo
06-02-2009, 04:50 AM
^stop feeling sorry for yourself and do it now while you remember you lazy bastid! :)

Thefallofman
06-02-2009, 05:21 AM
I love their work with Bob Dylan, but I never bothered to listen to the other stuff. I always think, "Oh yeah I should listen to The Band on Last.Fm or Playlist" but don't get around to it. I feel ashamed of myself :sad:
Just pick up Music From Big Pink. You certainly won't regret it.

trackmind
06-02-2009, 06:38 AM
the band were so good at what they were doing and they seemed to have a great time doing it. fantastic songwriters and musicians. music from big pink is such an uplifting, beautiful album. i love how they just mix country, rock, folk, blues, soul and pretty much every other genre out there.

does anybody else think that the performance of helpless on the last waltz is pretty much the best performance ever?

esp1234
06-02-2009, 03:00 PM
^
It was good, but I wouldn't say it was the best. Neil sounded like he was struggling with his voice. Helpless did sound great on his Live massey album though

trackmind
06-02-2009, 04:38 PM
^i don't know, i've seen so many live sets and heard so many live recording, and that one undoubtedly qualifies for my top 5. i just find it really emotionally captivating. the fact that it's not too polished and that neil is kind of struggling kind of just adds character in my opinion. but yeah, different strokes for different folks i guess.

hendrixfanatic
06-02-2009, 04:42 PM
It's my favourite version of the song. Joni Mitchell's backing vocals make it even more brilliant!

A Rolling Stone
06-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Also, as I was reading This Wheel's on Fire I think I caught something that lead the band to make such great music...there was no frontman. While Robbie certainly was the primary songwriter, no-one took the center-stage all the time in contrast to, say, Ronnie and the Hawks. I guess they're one of the only band's I know like that with 3 lead vocalists and what-not.

Btw, has anyone seen the Clapton Crossroads '07 festival with Robbie and Eric doin' Who Do You Love? It's great, even though Robbie looks like death.

metalfan#3
06-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Did Ronnie Hawkins sing with The Band? I think I've read that somewhere, but I'm not sure now

In the beginnings of The Band, they were his backing band, and they were known as The Hawks, a la Ronnie and the Hawks.

BrainDamage
06-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Neil sounded like he was struggling with his voice. That could be due to the fact that he was high as a kite. I thought that version of Helpless wasn't very good.

A Rolling Stone
06-03-2009, 06:03 PM
^^If you're talking about the Massey Hall '71 Helpless, then yes, I feel like it's lacking. But the Helpless from the Last Waltz is my all-time favorite performance of it. Neil's facial expressions crack me up. And Joni Mitchell in the shadows wailing is just pure win.

EDIT: To the guy below me, I've heard that before. Can anyone confirm this or give me a screenshot/time to look for it? I've always wondered...

esp1234
06-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Just remembered something. If you look closely, you can see a piece of coke in his left nostril.

BrainDamage
06-03-2009, 09:24 PM
^^If you're talking about the Massey Hall '71 Helpless, then yes, I feel like it's lacking. But the Helpless from the Last Waltz is my all-time favorite performance of it. Neil's facial expressions crack me up. And Joni Mitchell in the shadows wailing is just pure win. I was thinking the other way around, actually. Everything on the Massey Hall disc is beyond perfection in my opinion. If that isn't among the best live albums ever, then I don't know what is.

A Rolling Stone
06-04-2009, 07:26 PM
^^The introduction to the Needle and the Damage Done on the Massey Hall release is great, and as usual the song is great too.
I like the album, but I think a few of the tracks aren't what they should be, Helpless being one of them.
Anyways, does anyone here have the Live '68 Neil Young thing. I'm too lazy to buy it without knowing how it is...

dwightleach
06-09-2009, 06:24 AM
I've never heard any of the bands stuff. I hope its good.

Jazz Funeral
06-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Sure you have. "The Weight" and "Up on Cripple Creek" have been all over classic rock stations since they were modern rock. I really like "The Shape I'm In", the relentless bounce under Manuel's vocals just makes me smile and boogie. "Rag Mama Rag", "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down", and "Stage Fright" are also favorites. Also, check out Levon Helm and the RCO Allstars.

A Rolling Stone
06-11-2009, 10:30 PM
New Levon Helm release coming out June 30 entitled "Electric Dirt".
Can I get a hell yes on this one? :headbang:

But seriously, I'm really looking forward to this. And that's a badass album title if I ever heard one.

trackmind
06-14-2009, 04:34 PM
don't know if this should go here or in the dylan thread, but thought i'd put it here since this thread/band need the attention more than dylan.

so, what do people think about the basement tapes? i think they're pretty amazing. first thing i fell in love with was actually the production. the songs themselves are great, but i think the unpolished approach to production really gives it a more true feel. it sounds so organic and alive, which really fits the songwriting and performance style in my opinion.

hendrixfanatic
06-14-2009, 05:24 PM
As an album, I don't like it very much, since it's a half Band album (with none of it recorded in Dylan's basement: The Band bits were recorded in Big Pink, so they aren't Basement Tapes). The Dylan songs are also great, but there were loads more and also brilliant.

That said, I love it as just a collection of songs, and it has some real gems: Katie's been gone, Yazoo street scandal, Bessie Smith, This wheel's on fire, Going to Acapulco, ...

trackmind
06-14-2009, 05:49 PM
i'm sorry, but i think you got it wrong. the basement they are referring to is the basement of big pink. only a few songs (maybe four or five tracks) weren't recorded in this basement. eight of all the tracks didn't feature dylan at all. some songs were overdubbed just prior to the release of the album though. but the album was at large a collaboration, and not recorded separately.

hendrixfanatic
06-15-2009, 12:54 AM
I got it wrong indeed! Well, I still think it's an uneven compilation, and it was a bit ridiculous to release it as a Dylan album when eight tracks don't feature Dylan.

But, as I said, great songs were recorded.

radio_schizo
06-15-2009, 04:47 AM
^It's listed as Bob Dylan & The Band!

I love it. It really captures the spirit of two artists and how compatable they are with each other..you can really tell they must have had a lotta fun recording it. So many great songs. Such great production and musicianship too.

hendrixfanatic
06-15-2009, 05:14 AM
Yeah, they certainly had a lot of fun doing it. It just doesn't work for me as an album (since it's also a sparse compilation of the enourmous collection of songs recorded during the Basement sessions (there were great covers, also...). I like Planet Waves better, because it's more focused.

But again, I can't repeat how brilliant Katie's been gone is, and Going to Acapulco, and Bessie Smith, ...

radio_schizo
06-15-2009, 05:35 AM
^it has a very different feel/sound to Planet Waves.

I think I prefer Basement Tapes. I like Planet Waves a lot, but the recording sound isn't as good imo. I think in The Basement Tapes you really feel the magic of such legendary musicans working off of each other together, but I guess Planet Waves is more of a solely Dylan album.

Imagine how awesome it would have been to have been present in The Big Pin :eek: k

trackmind
06-15-2009, 10:24 AM
yeah, i really like the whole aspect of them just getting together, living in a big house, having a great time and just killing time by writing, playing and recording music. the basement tapes is no ordinary album as such i guess. more like a collection of really great songs. i haven't heard planet waves so i can't comment on it, but the basement tapes is really something special.

A Rolling Stone
06-16-2009, 03:46 AM
^^Planet Waves is pretty average apart from a few stand-out tracks, but the Basement tapes are sooo amazing. Like you said, the whole arrangement is just so casual that something good had to come of it, and so it did. Some of the songs are just unforgettable, they'll be in my mind forever.

radio_schizo
06-21-2009, 06:17 AM
Hey does anyone know if there are any documentaries about The Band out there?

hendrixfanatic
06-21-2009, 07:24 AM
There's The last waltz of course (which is more of a concert movie), but the only other I know is the "Classic albums" documentary about their second album; The Band (the brown one).

radio_schizo
06-21-2009, 08:57 AM
^yeah, i meant specifically about the band. That classic albums one sounds cool, I love that abum. Is there any freebies on the net.? ;)

hendrixfanatic
06-21-2009, 09:33 AM
I just searched youtube, and I've found it, in 5 parts. The subtitles are in swedish or something:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIDpG5hozto
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7cKCUpD-QA&feature=related
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuTzrBbT7B8&feature=related
4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI61Cr-2V0s&feature=related
5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxbnx8MFA3c&feature=related

trey-col89
06-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Richard is without a doubt my favorite singer in the band and of all time. Theres just something so interesting and fascinating about him and his madness. He can give you chills with his voice.

aig91
06-21-2009, 01:21 PM
They are definitely a talented bunch of musicians. Sort of overlooked or underrated though. My dad showed me the Last Waltz movie about 4 years ago and I've loved them ever since.

trey-col89
06-21-2009, 01:41 PM
I mean, if you ask their peers and musicians of the time period, anyone will tell you that behind the Beatles, The Band was one of the most influential bands to ever exist. When they came out with that rootsy americana hillbilly type of music back in 67 68, EVERYONE took notice. They had pretty decent commercial success during their run as well. The reason they don't really transcend to this generation most likely is because their name is so vague and ambiguous. But don't let that fool you, these guys are one of the best bands to ever exist, the pinnacle of roots rock and rnb.

When Levon sings The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, you feel like you are a soldier for the confederacy and Levon is telling you what life is like. Rick can make you cry when he sings ballads like Unfaithful Servent or It Makes No Difference. And Richard, ooooohh Richard, he is the blackest white guy to ever exist, with a voice comparable to Ray Charles, he can sing a growling stomp or a beautiful falsetto, truly one of a kind Richard Manuel was.

radio_schizo
06-22-2009, 05:15 AM
I just searched youtube, and I've found it, in 5 parts. The subtitles are in swedish or something:

Cheers dude!

LULZ!
06-22-2009, 12:45 PM
The reason they don't really transcend to this generation most likely is because their name is so vague and ambiguous.

actually, it's because they suck and are boring

A Rolling Stone
06-22-2009, 06:32 PM
:facepalm:
Troll is troll.
Anyway, in Levons book I just got done with the chapter about the Last Waltz, and man it was ****ed from the start.
Only Robbie and Martin (Scorcese) really wanted to do it and apparently the bulk of what went on other than the concert itself wasn't even filmed. And even the concert was filmed very poorly.
Oh well, I still like watchin it once every few weeks at any rate :shrug:

Cptbeefheart
06-22-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't think the concert was filmed very poorly at all, even though much of the goings-on weren't filmed. I still think The Last Waltz is the best concert film ever made.

trackmind
06-22-2009, 07:22 PM
i personally think the filming was amazing.

just thought i'd throw that out there.

hendrixfanatic
06-22-2009, 07:36 PM
The filming was amazing, and a lot of it was an accident! The moment when Paul Butterfield plays, and there's just a single spot on him... That's because all the other lights just didn't work anymore!

Another brilliant touch are the footlights. It makes for much more dramatic lighting, and really adds to the athmosphere.

esp1234
06-22-2009, 08:24 PM

Ahhhh just finished watching it all. Really nice. R.I.P Mr Richard, and now I can't decide who I like better as a singer. Danko, or Manuel. :haha:

A Rolling Stone
06-22-2009, 11:29 PM
I don't think the concert was filmed very poorly at all, even though much of the goings-on weren't filmed. I still think The Last Waltz is the best concert film ever made.

No Richard on-camera during I Shall Be Released? I think that's as bad as it gets. At the first showing of the movie, Ronnie Hawkins sat beside Levon and asked him if Richard was still even in the band at the time of the filming.
My main problem though is that half the time (or better) the camera is shoved so far up Robbie's ass that you can see out of his mouth :p:

Though I do agree that the Last Waltz in one of the best concert films ever made. Up there with Let's Spend the Night Together, Song Remains the Same and The Kids Are Alright for sure.

radio_schizo
06-23-2009, 05:05 AM
Ahhhh just finished watching it all. Really nice. R.I.P Mr Richard, and now I can't decide who I like better as a singer. Danko, or Manuel. :haha:
Both...together at the same time! ;)

A Rolling Stone
06-25-2009, 09:28 PM
^^With some Levon to hold it up from the bottom :)

esp1234
06-27-2009, 09:44 PM
To those who have watched the last waltz, what was your favorite performance?
For me I'd have to say:
1) Up on cripple creek
2)The shape i'm in
3)The weight with the staples
4) caravan
5) and I shall be released

Sloopy
06-28-2009, 03:38 PM
^ The Shape I'm In and Clapton's performance are my faves.

hendrixfanatic
06-28-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm not going to rank any, but my favourites are Stage fright, It makes no difference, Forever young, Caravan, The weight and Helpless.

A Rolling Stone
06-28-2009, 06:29 PM
^ The Shape I'm In and Clapton's performance are my faves.

Nice to see you back in the CR forums. I bet it's been a month or more since I've saw you here.

Anyway, my favorite performances from the Last Waltz are Forever Young, I Don't Believe You, and Mannish Boy. Muddy Waters is just amazing, no matter where he's at or what he's singing.

BrainDamage
06-28-2009, 08:23 PM
3)The weight with the staples I don't care how many times I've heard that song in my life, the version on the Last Waltz with the Staple Singers is absolutely amazing. The Staple Singers just take the song to a whole new level.

Thefallofman
06-29-2009, 12:11 PM
I'll do a top 5:
1. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
2. Mannish Boy
3. Further On Up The Road
4. The Weight
5. It Makes No Difference

metalfan#3
06-29-2009, 09:40 PM
My favorite is definitely The Weight, by far. The last verse with everyone singing harmony might be the greatest thing ever recorded.

Sloopy
06-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Nice to see you back in the CR forums. I bet it's been a month or more since I've saw you here.

Yeah it's been awhile. I was kind of thinking of leaving these boards for good for a few weeks there. I feel really out of place around here what with age difference and things like that.

A Rolling Stone
06-30-2009, 04:46 PM
^^Yea, but that makes you the guy who actually knows what he's talking about. And the guy who's seen the best shows most likely :)

lp345
06-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Their self-titled album is one of the best albums ever made. Incredible

esp1234
07-01-2009, 09:27 PM
I wonder why they started with Don't Do it at the beginning of the last waltz. It was an encore after all

metalfan#3
07-02-2009, 02:20 PM
I wonder why they started with Don't Do it at the beginning of the last waltz. It was an encore after all

I think it was appropriate to have the movie end with everybody on stage singing 'I Shall Be Released'.

Thefallofman
07-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Is it me, or does it sound like Dylan is intentionally singing bad on the Last Waltz stuff? Obviously I'm a huge Bob fan, but it's like he's trying to not control his voice for whatever reason. Maybe he wanted to sound that way, I dunno. I think he could've sounded much better though.

esp1234
07-03-2009, 06:51 PM
^
Wow, I thought it was just me too, but he did do I shall be released all right

A Rolling Stone
07-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Is it me, or does it sound like Dylan is intentionally singing bad on the Last Waltz stuff? Obviously I'm a huge Bob fan, but it's like he's trying to not control his voice for whatever reason. Maybe he wanted to sound that way, I dunno. I think he could've sounded much better though.

According to This Wheels on Fire, literally an hour before he went on, Dylan refused to be filmed. Then he refused to come onstage at all. Bill Graham had to go bacak and talk to him for a while to even get him to play.
Maybe the reason he didn't control his voice is because he just didn't want
to be there :shrug:

BrainDamage
07-04-2009, 10:39 PM
^^He couldn't have been that uninterested, considering the reprise of Baby Let Me Follow You Down was completely unplanned. Dylan was supposed to do four songs in his set, which was going to lead off the second half of the show. He decided during the intermission that he didn't want to be filmed at all, so Bill Graham went to talk to him and eventually, five minutes before the intermission ended, Dylan agreed to be filmed for the last two songs of his set. He went on stage and played Baby Let Me Follow You Down, Hazel, I Don't Believe In You, and Forever Young. As Forever Young ended, Dylan leaned over to Robbie Robertson and told him to play a D7 chord as the rest of The Band looked around confused, at which point Dylan started up Baby Let Me Follow You Down again. Check it out at 4:05 into this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TLygQpSiyU

Griffin*
07-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Can someone tell me the proper way to pronounce Richard "Manuel"?

A Rolling Stone
07-07-2009, 03:43 PM
^^ Man-You-Ell.
Listen to the Drive-by Truckers song "Danko/Manuel" and you'll get it. Speaking of which, everyone who likes the Band should hear that song. A really great tribute to both of them.

esp1234
07-07-2009, 03:58 PM
I say it Ma-new-el. It is my name after all :D

Griffin*
07-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Ok good lol. That's how I've been saying it all along, but last night my friend said it "Man-well" and it made me wonder.

esp1234
07-07-2009, 06:51 PM
People say it in many ways..I sometimes wonder what is the correct way. I specially hate it when people call me Ma-nule (mule)

lp345
07-08-2009, 06:35 PM
King Harvest is a bloody genius song. I don't know how they did it

A Rolling Stone
07-09-2009, 02:23 PM
^^ I always loved the breakdown just before/during the chorus. It really is genius stuff.

fenderplayer110
07-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Hey so I posted this somewhere, not realizing that there was a Band forum, but does anyone know if Richard Manuel is a tenor or a baritone? He definitely has the range of a tenor, but his timbre is that of a baritone singer (even the way he spoke was very deep). I guess I want him to be a baritone because I'm one myself and it would be nice to have hope that I could hit an A over middle C one day(Tears of Rage) haha

A Rolling Stone
07-24-2009, 07:41 PM
^^I'm gonna go with Tenor, only because of all the falsetto stuff he did, like in I Shall Be Released.

esp1234
07-24-2009, 07:47 PM
*phew* glad someone bumped this. And yes I think he is a tenor too.

hamett91
07-26-2009, 12:16 AM
I love the bonus tracks on Music from Big Pink. Long Distance Operator and Orange Juice Blues are my two favorites.

A Rolling Stone
07-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Orange Juice Blues/Blues for Breakfast was originally recorded during the Basement Tapes sessions, right?

Bluestube
07-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Saw some busker doing a very good version of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" the other day, it was nice to hear The Band being played in public.

gagibson
07-28-2009, 01:02 AM
Best Canadian (mostly) Band ever! They have so much talent packed into a single group that it's ridiculous!

RHCP94
07-28-2009, 01:05 AM
Orange Juice Blues/Blues for Breakfast was originally recorded during the Basement Tapes sessions, right?
Yep. Long Distance Operator was too.

Sly Taco
07-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Whispering Pines gives me the chills, love Richard Manuel, R.I.P.

lp345
07-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Rockin' Chair is achingly beautiful...makes me wanna be old almost

A Rolling Stone
07-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Apparently this thread is a big fan of the Self-Titled album by the last two posts :p:

I'm more of a Big Pink guy myself.

uhh_me?
08-16-2009, 03:49 PM
i have trouble comparing the two because they are both great, so much so that my preference changes with whatever i am listening to at the time.

cornmancer
08-16-2009, 04:48 PM
I've not heard the self-titled but Big Pink is genius. What's everyone's favorite song from Big Pink. I can't decide on mine, they're all so great.

esp1234
08-16-2009, 07:41 PM
^
hard to choose, but I'm going to have to go with I shall be released, or The weight

Ugh I hate it when I can't figuere out who's singing between Danko and Manuel
Danko sings across the great divide right?

A Rolling Stone
08-19-2009, 08:30 PM
It's a blend, but I think it's Rick on the lead vocal part also.

uhh_me?
08-26-2009, 11:33 PM
best album that isn't one of the first two?

Cptbeefheart
08-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Northern Lights-Southern Cross is in the third best in my opinion.

Sly Taco
08-27-2009, 03:44 PM
I've not heard the self-titled but Big Pink is genius. What's everyone's favorite song from Big Pink. I can't decide on mine, they're all so great.

I'm a big Chest Fever guy

lp345
08-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Been listening to the self-titled album again...just so good. I love the air of mysticism and mythology the album almost creates around itself. So alluring

esp1234
09-06-2009, 08:00 PM
got the basement tapes album, and loving it

A Rolling Stone
09-16-2009, 06:48 AM
^^Top track from it?

Apart from the semi-obvious amazing ones (Tears of Rage, Wheel's On Fire, Going to Acapulco) I really love the Clothesline Saga. It's so stupid it intrigues me :p:

esp1234
09-18-2009, 08:15 PM
ahh :sad: it actually is Going to Acapulco. But I rather listen to the album then just individual songs

A Rolling Stone
09-18-2009, 08:30 PM
^^True, true. The Basement Tapes really do have a unique sound to the songs collectively. I don't know if it was how they were recorded, mixed or if it was just the general atmosphere that was in the infamous basement of Big Pink.
It's definitely a good thing though.

esp1234
09-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Anyone have the Cahoots album? I must say 4% pantomime is my favorite track on that one

cornmancer
09-24-2009, 07:01 PM
I have terrible news, my best friend hates Big Pink. I didn't think he would like it but I had him listen to it anyways. He hated the regular album so I'm thought ok let's try the bonus tracks, me thinking he might like that but he hated that to. I'm still friends with him, but we now have something we disagree on.

alaskan_ninja
09-24-2009, 07:03 PM
I've always thought it was a huge waste that The Band didn't release an album called "The Album" with a song on it called "The Song".

esp1234
09-24-2009, 08:16 PM
I have terrible news, my best friend hates Big Pink. I didn't think he would but I had him listen to it anyways. He hated the regular album so I'm thought ok let's try the bonus tracks, me thinking he might like that but he hated that to. I'm still friends with him, but we now have something we disagree on.

What does your friend normally listen to?

cornmancer
09-24-2009, 08:56 PM
What does your friend normally listen to?
His favorite is Metallica or Zeppelin, but he listens to Tom Petty, Rory Gallagher, and Pink Floyd a lot to.

I've always thought it was a huge waste that The Band didn't release an album called "The Album" with a song on it called "The Song".
The amount of epic involved with that would be uncontrollable.

esp1234
09-25-2009, 08:33 PM
His favorite is Metallica or Zeppelin, but he listens to Tom Petty, Rory Gallagher, and Pink Floyd a lot to.

Ah, typical. I've yet to find someone who likes the underrated bands/artists

A Rolling Stone
09-26-2009, 04:43 PM
^^I don't know, alot-scratch that- almost all of the people I know have no idea who Rory Gallagher is.
Heck, most of them don't know who Noel Gallagher is :haha

esp1234
10-11-2009, 08:57 PM
^
Who? :haha:

cornmancer
10-14-2009, 05:01 PM
^^I don't know, alot-scratch that- almost all of the people I know have no idea who Rory Gallagher is.
Heck, most of them don't know who Noel Gallagher is :haha
Exactly what I was thinking. Like me he worships Rory Gallagher, so how he doesn't like underrated/unknown artists is strange.

esp1234
10-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Anyone know where I can get Richard Manuel's version of "You don't know me"?

claptonfan55
11-13-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm listening to their live album Rock of Ages on vinyl right now, and it is f*cking amazing! I highly recommend that all of you go out and buy Rock of Ages on vinyl, CD, mp3, any format really, just buy it!

A Rolling Stone
11-15-2009, 02:15 PM
^^I actually don't have that. I have two live band concers and a few from the '74 tour with Dylan, but as for good-quality Live Band, I need some. I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say it beats out the live album from the Isle of Wight :p:

Sly Taco
11-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Rock of Ages is awesome! Love the horns.

Thefallofman
11-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Just read this on Levon's web site:

"A note to fans planning to see The Levon Helm Band:
Levon lost his voice while we were on the road on June. The good news is that a biopsy of his vocal cord a few weeks ago resulted in a diagnosis of NO CANCER, however he does need to remain on vocal rest so that he can heal. He was diagnosed with a lesion on his vocal cord from acid reflux which was removed by laser. He will sing again, following some rigorous vocal lessons with his vocal coach, but he does need to take it slowly. Thanks to you, his loyal and loving fans, he's been welcomed to the stage with shouts and cheers and sounds of encouragement through this healing process. "

I saw him in July, so he didn't sing. I'm relieved to know that he's still cancer-free, but damn... can this dude catch a break? I thought he and his band were great this Summer. Vocals or not, Levon's persona carried the show. You can tell he's a great guy, and just watching him drum is something else. I realized that night that he's my absolute favorite rock drummer.

lp345
12-02-2009, 06:42 PM
'Tis the season for some Band listening ... the self titled in particular ... its like my Christmas album ... love it to bits :heart:

A Rolling Stone
12-02-2009, 10:47 PM
I've always thought that the S/T had more of a "warm" fell to it, with all of the history and upbeat songs, while Big Pink was it's opposite.
But then again, I'm crazy...