Why do bands change their sound?

PDA

View Full Version : Why do bands change their sound?

gtrrocker31
05-30-2009, 08:43 PM
My friend and I were recently in a pretty heated debate.

We were talking about how a lot of hardcore bands (for example The Devil Wears Prada and others) or even just a lot of bands in general change their sound from their first album to their most recent.

My opinion on this being a musician for 12 out of my 18 years of life was that as the musicians grow and the bands grow, they discover new types of music to play and therefore that's why the end up eventually changing the sound (whether that be playing lighter music instead of more hardcore or just changing in general). Plus, they don't want to get bored playing the same thing over and over.

However, my friend was telling me that most bands (or a lot of them) change because they want to sell more albums. So when they end up playing more alternative/lighter music than more hardcore, it is to sell more albums and appeal to the greater masses rather than just mixing it up for the sake of playing something different.

Granted, I know that it's probably mixed a lot between the two reason. Some bands change for different reasons. But, i'm just looking for other opinions because this topic really intrigued me. So what does everyone out there think?

Are bands changing their sound for the sake of the music and something new? Or to sell more albums and appeal to the masses? Or Both?

cukd7x-a2-
05-30-2009, 08:46 PM
why do you cut your hair?

simple principle

slayer1516
05-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Money

toshiro umezewa
05-30-2009, 08:47 PM
both.
some bands sell out.
Some bands evolve.
to be honest, only the band can ever really know which they did.

sageious
05-30-2009, 08:48 PM
they want more fans so they can get more money.

guitarsftw
05-30-2009, 08:50 PM
people evolve as musicians/artists just as they evolve as people

LedDaveZeppelin
05-30-2009, 11:42 PM
So they can fit into whats "new"

Noah!!
05-31-2009, 01:55 AM
Some bands mature as they go on and their musical sound changes as do their lyrical subjects, RHCP is a great example of this

Some bands feel like experimenting with different sounds and find something else... The Clash did a lot of experimenting in different genres

And some bands get different members and change their sound like Pink Floyd or RHCP again

cornmancer
05-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Both and the fact some bands, like The Stones or David Bowie, don't want to become completely irrelevant. It's not selling out, it's adapting.

Brian 1.0
05-31-2009, 11:17 AM
Both and the fact some bands, like The Stones or David Bowie, don't want to become completely irrelevant. It's not selling out, it's adapting.

This.

I never understood how if you put in an extra hours shift at the office, it's doing extra for some money, but when some age-old musician decides to make something relevant to today's popular standards it's "selling out." People who can make enough money doing just what they love are the minority.

EEE_ELLL_OHH
05-31-2009, 12:23 PM
So they can fit into whats "new"
:rolleyes: If anything they may hear new things happening, decide they like it and then take influence.

I think bands just want to evolve so they feel they're not repeating themselves and so they're not just recycling the same old songs.

This is why I hate AC/DC. They never really evolved at all, as far as i'm aware, so all their music just merges into what sounds like what could've been done in one album rather than spanning a huge career.

TJ1991
05-31-2009, 12:46 PM
The whole selling out thing never really cuts it for me. As soon as you make any money whatsoever from a piece of art or something creative, that's selling out as far as I'm concerned. But if you want to carry on hearing new material from your favourite bands, some just have to try to appeal to a mass audience. At the end of the day it's their job, they need to earn money from it. If not earning money means not playing anymore, I'd rather a band changed their style just to be able to carry on. Musicians who can make a living from something they love have got it made.

weezergeek182
05-31-2009, 02:14 PM
alot of times bands aren't "selling out". THey are just perfecting their sound and working the bugs out of it.

LordBaxtus
06-01-2009, 09:28 PM
My friend and I were recently in a pretty heated debate.

We were talking about how a lot of hardcore bands (for example The Devil Wears Prada and others) or even just a lot of bands in general change their sound from their first album to their most recent.

My opinion on this being a musician for 12 out of my 18 years of life was that as the musicians grow and the bands grow, they discover new types of music to play and therefore that's why the end up eventually changing the sound (whether that be playing lighter music instead of more hardcore or just changing in general). Plus, they don't want to get bored playing the same thing over and over.

However, my friend was telling me that most bands (or a lot of them) change because they want to sell more albums. So when they end up playing more alternative/lighter music than more hardcore, it is to sell more albums and appeal to the greater masses rather than just mixing it up for the sake of playing something different.

Granted, I know that it's probably mixed a lot between the two reason. Some bands change for different reasons. But, i'm just looking for other opinions because this topic really intrigued me. So what does everyone out there think?

Are bands changing their sound for the sake of the music and something new? Or to sell more albums and appeal to the masses? Or Both?

Why would you become more alternative to be more mainstream? :confused: